Why are Oppo's so popular - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Being an installer what I have noticed they will play almost any disc something the competition can't quite do and the more of the beat up kiosks rentals the more this comes to life.
Also to those that had problems their customer service is second to none .
I have never had a problem with their firmware and at least they issue firmware in a timely manor when a widespread problem is known.
If you have ever been on any beta program you would not believe the amount of testing that goes on.
They are truly concerned about their product and will work with you or at least thats my experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Being an installer what I have noticed they will play almost any disc something the competition can't quite do and the more of the beat up kiosks rentals the more this comes to life.
Also to those that had problems their customer service is second to none .
I have never had a problem with their firmware and at least they issue firmware in a timely manor when a widespread problem is known.
If you have ever been on any beta program you would not believe the amount of testing that goes on.
They are truly concerned about their product and will work with you or at least thats my experience.

Most mention how Oppo has excellent customer service. That is great especially if you pay that much but for me I would be satisfied say with a Panasonic that is not so expensive regardless of how their customer service is I did not pay much for one to begin with. Most importantly here for me is how is the picture quality of an Oppo compared to any other players? That is priority for me and of course considering paying 500 for an Oppo good customer service has to be included.
post #33 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Granted it may not be the player for everyone and people have gotten use to seeing 100.00 players but for everything it does and the AV quality of what it does you would be hard pressed to find another player close to the 500.00 asking price that has all it offers.
post #34 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Customer service hands down better than anyone. I've had a questions I sent to oppo via email. Everytime I had an answer in a couple of hours, once even on the weekend. I have a panasonic bd player in the bedroom that I never got an answer back from their customer service.

Region free dvd mod was a simple fw load that works flawlessly. (BD region free is an available hardware mod).

An oppo is an investment in a player that you'll have a long time. I'd have bought several 100 players in the time I've had my Oppo. Oppo continually supports their players with FW updates. My panasonic player hasn't had a FW update in close to 2 years. After a while the consumer industry just quits supporting FW updates thinking you'll just buy another player.

I may have a cheap player for the bedroom, but I'll always have an Oppo in the house.
post #35 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had an oppo 103 and the panny BDT-500 not long ago...I wanted to like the oppo but the panny seemed to out perform it in both picture and audio including DVD's. That was my first oppo and so I wasn't too impressed with performance...build quality is amazing, and I also liked the full sized component frame, but in the end I care more about performance.... so with that said, the panny is in my rack and the oppo was returned.

"May fortune favor the foolish" Captain James T Kirk
post #36 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 PM

Liked: 20
And there you have it,
Out of 35 post, maybe three folks didn't feel it was for them.
Not too shabby oppo, not too shabby.

post #37 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

Most importantly here for me is how is the picture quality of an Oppo compared to any other players?

If Blu-ray PQ is your only consideration, IMO an Oppo is a waste of your money. Yes, Oppos are measurably better than other brands in some colorspace tests, but you'd likely never notice the difference with your eyes. Blu-ray PQ between major manufacturers is all more-or-less the same across the board, barring defects. If you want good DVD PQ, or even want PAL/50i support, you might have a better case to make, but Blu-ray PQ alone? Hell, just get whatever's on sale and you'll be happy. It's the value-added stuff that makes Oppos good. If you just want the base functionality, don't bother with Oppo.
post #38 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBus View Post

If Blu-ray PQ is your only consideration, IMO an Oppo is a waste of your money. Yes, Oppos are measurably better than other brands in some colorspace tests, but you'd likely never notice the difference with your eyes. Blu-ray PQ between major manufacturers is all more-or-less the same across the board, barring defects. If you want good DVD PQ, or even want PAL/50i support, you might have a better case to make, but Blu-ray PQ alone? Hell, just get whatever's on sale and you'll be happy. It's the value-added stuff that makes Oppos good. If you just want the base functionality, don't bother with Oppo.

I think the question should not be about PQ, but how durable the player is. some players have trouble playing them and so fourth. i am just talking about blu rays and dvds. saying nothing about streaming or other stuff. all players do have some issues of sort. its more about it playing most everything then nothing at all. I have had my share of other players. yes I agree that the oppo is more expensive. you get what you pay for. in reality the oppo could charge even more and still be worth it. its a bargin at 499

Jacob
post #39 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktober View Post

I had an oppo 103 and the panny BDT-500 not long ago...I wanted to like the oppo but the panny seemed to out perform it in both picture and audio including DVD's. That was my first oppo and so I wasn't too impressed with performance...build quality is amazing, and I also liked the full sized component frame, but in the end I care more about performance.... so with that said, the panny is in my rack and the oppo was returned.
You may have had a defective unit not sure but it has not been the rule at least you got what you wanted.
post #40 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 04:35 PM

Liked: 26
I questioned it as well, I bit the bullet about a month ago and WOW. My friends who came with me to go get it were making fun of me the whole time back about how stupid I was for buying a $500 bluray player. Hooked it up and put a movie in and if they didn't apologize on the spot. Freaking incredible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #41 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 04:50 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

You may have had a defective unit not sure but it has not been the rule at least you got what you wanted.

No it wasn't defective. It just fell short in comparison to the panny.

"May fortune favor the foolish" Captain James T Kirk
post #42 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Our company holds only loyalty to performance and quality ,we do back to back comparisons and sell a wide range of equipment if anything comes out better we will sell and install it.
post #43 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

I can sympathize. I have both a Panny BDT220 (same picture as the BDT500) and an Oppo BDP95. When I received the Panny, I did a side by side A/B comparison in the Cave. The Panny indeed seemingly had higher contrast and richer colors, almost to the point of un-natural oversaturation which made the Oppo seem kind of dull in comparison. I then put in my Spears and Munsil callibration blu-ray disc and it confimed what I was seeing. The pluge low and high/contrast patterns were all out of whack and the clipping pattern showed that red and blue were completely washed out with no steps discernable. My conclusion after about four hours of fiddling with both players was that the Panny indeed has a pretty picture but when you really analyze it, it is overblown and doesn't look natural. This was really evident on both Avatar (Neytiri scene with the flourescent forest) and Toy Story 3.

But, as the saying goes.........to each their own. smile.gif

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #44 of 44 Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Intelligent discussion is welcome. Insults are not. Posts edited to remove condescending remarks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page