Flashing a player with firm from a different model of the same brand - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-23-2013, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, have any of your gurus tried flashing a player with a firmware from a different model of the same brand?
For instance, I have a low-end Philips player (BDP-2930), which does have network support but no youtube/network player capability. So I just wonder what if I flash the player with a higher end model's firmware .... what would happen? I mean technically, all these youtube/network playing are all software only stuffs, unless the processor, and hardware are significantly different of course.

So anybody has any experience in that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-23-2013, 02:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 850
No. But I wouldnt recommend it. If you could buy the bottom line model and update the firmware to the highest end model and get those features everyone would be doing it.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #3 of 3 Old 04-24-2013, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerorigin View Post

Hi all, have any of your gurus tried flashing a player with a firmware from a different model of the same brand?
For instance, I have a low-end Philips player (BDP-2930), which does have network support but no youtube/network player capability. So I just wonder what if I flash the player with a higher end model's firmware .... what would happen? I mean technically, all these youtube/network playing are all software only stuffs, unless the processor, and hardware are significantly different of course.

So anybody has any experience in that?

the final product is normally called "a brick". the recovery process is painful and often does not work. you may need to open a player, locate EPROM on PCB, put in USB stick with your original FW, power player, short circuit some specific legs on the EPROM to interrupt UBoot. It may force the original FW flash process from USB. Very entertaining process and may require 100 attempts before it works.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Philips

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page