The OPPO BDP-83 "Persistent Storage" Factor... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 65
How often -- if at all -- should this "Persistent Storage" inside the player's Setup menu be dumped/emptied? Initially, I was lead to believe that this should be routinely dumped as it would cause player mishaps like freezing/locking up, etc., but some folks on other forums and then, subsequently, OPPO themselves via email conversations, suggested not dumping this so often as that WOULD cause player mishaps...

I'm simply confused. What's the best route when dealing with the player's Persistent Storage? I do experience player lockups and freezes, still all these years later with the BDP-83, from time to time (even on DVD playback) and would like to know if the issues are coming from my (previously) routine dumping of the Persistent Storage...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

How often -- if at all -- should this "Persistent Storage" inside the player's Setup menu be dumped/emptied? Initially, I was lead to believe that this should be routinely dumped as it would cause player mishaps like freezing/locking up, etc., but some folks on other forums and then, subsequently, OPPO themselves via email conversations, suggested not dumping this so often as that WOULD cause player mishaps...

I'm simply confused. What's the best route when dealing with the player's Persistent Storage? I do experience player lockups and freezes, still all these years later with the BDP-83, from time to time (even on DVD playback) and would like to know if the issues are coming from my (previously) routine dumping of the Persistent Storage...

You'd have better luck with this topic in the owner's thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1124287/official-oppo-bdp-83-owners-thread-technical-talk-only

To my knowledge, Persistent Storage contents would be a factor only with certain Blu-ray titles that use java. It should not affect DVD or any other type of playback, and the failure mode on those BR titles would be some sort of failure to load, not lockups during playback of the title itself.

I have never heard that erasing Persistent Storage too often can cause any sort of problem.

If your player is behaving erratically it may need the laser cleaned or some other sort of service. OPPO has reasonable fixed-price out of warranty repair.

-Bill
post #3 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

You'd have better luck with this topic in the owner's thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1124287/official-oppo-bdp-83-owners-thread-technical-talk-only

To my knowledge, Persistent Storage contents would be a factor only with certain Blu-ray titles that use java. It should not affect DVD or any other type of playback, and the failure mode on those BR titles would be some sort of failure to load, not lockups during playback of the title itself.

I have never heard that erasing Persistent Storage too often can cause any sort of problem.

If your player is behaving erratically it may need the laser cleaned or some other sort of service. OPPO has reasonable fixed-price out of warranty repair.

-Bill

Thank you for your reply, Bill; I will consider taking this up with the owners in that particular thread...

It seems I'm getting the same sort of feedback from OPPO as you're suggesting here; that is, Persistent Storage should be touched only when the player is experiencing regular BLU-RAY playback/lockup issues...but it's so weird that sometimes this player freezes up on me too during DVD playback. Now, with regard to that and your suggestion as to the fact that the LASER may need to be cleaned, I of course considered this, but being that I run a Maxell Blu-ray cleaning disc (the "brushless" system with the "wind funnel" technology so no brushes actually come in contact with the head) through the player regularly and consistently, I don't see how that can be a factor...

Let me give you an example of what the player has been doing, even with standard DVD media, based on something I experienced just a couple of nights ago: I took off my collection shelf the DVD copy of Warner Bros.' Exorcist III after watching the original on Blu-ray, and the disc went into the tray, got sucked into the player as usual and then the BDP-83 just simply froze -- the startup Warner Bros. screen didn't come up, nor did the setup menu for language selection and such...just NOTHING. I had to power down the player and then power back up to unlock it...

Why do you think this is happening?

post #4 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 04:56 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Those cleaning discs are not guaranteed to work. It could be the player needs to be opened and the laser head cleaned with alcohol. Or there may be a mechanical failure in the head motion.

OPPO can give you guidance for opening the player. Or just ask about their terms for servicing it.

-Bill
post #5 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I realize if there's an internal head problem or issue, or something that needs alcohol to fix, this wouldn't be remedied by the Laser Lens Cleaner; these systems are designed to merely blow surface dust off the head and such...

Conversely, you have me thinking now that there is perhaps something going wrong internally with the head/laser and the deck may need servicing; I really didn't think I abused this thing that much...

post #6 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 PM
One-Man Content Creator

(1) "Everything put together falls apart" -- Rhymin' Paul Simon

(2) Contact OPPO about getting the player serviced.

(3) Please pursue this in the owners thread rather than here.

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page