post #61 of 72 Old 01-22-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

So do you think that Pioneer will release any more BD/DVD-A/SACD players with PQLS via HDMI? As far as what you said about players using the same internals, remember, the Yamaha BD-A1010 and Pioneer BDP-52FD are similar, yet different. The Yamaha uses the MediaTek MT8530 CPU and sends DSD to PCM at 176.4 KHz. I don't think it has Pandora, yet it has streaming apps not found on the Pioneer. The Pioneer uses the MediaTek MT8555 CPU. It sends DSD to PCM at 88.2 KHz, and it includes PQLS via HDMI. It doesn't have as many streaming apps as the Yamaha. They were both 2011 models. I can see why you would say that they are generally the same, but the style of the GUI, the CPU, digital audio transmition, and streaming apps are different enough that it might affect someone's purchasing decision.

I really don't know.  I would imagine they will if I had to guess; at least PQLS to mate with their receivers as a marketing point.  DVD-A and SACD are more or less dead formats so I don't personally see a benefit in paying the licensing fee.  Even Sony has given up in this area.

Pioneers receivers are mostly all the same platform with small changes to amplifier power or some very small features that are more or less insignificant.  IMO Pioneer haven't really done anything significant in Blu-ray players since the BDP-51/05/09.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 01-22-2014, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

So do you think that Pioneer will release any more BD/DVD-A/SACD players with PQLS via HDMI? As far as what you said about players using the same internals, remember, the Yamaha BD-A1010 and Pioneer BDP-52FD are similar, yet different. The Yamaha uses the MediaTek MT8530 CPU and sends DSD to PCM at 176.4 KHz. I don't think it has Pandora, yet it has streaming apps not found on the Pioneer. The Pioneer uses the MediaTek MT8555 CPU. It sends DSD to PCM at 88.2 KHz, and it includes PQLS via HDMI. It doesn't have as many streaming apps as the Yamaha. They were both 2011 models. I can see why you would say that they are generally the same, but the style of the GUI, the CPU, digital audio transmition, and streaming apps are different enough that it might affect someone's purchasing decision.

I really don't know.  I would imagine they will if I had to guess; at least PQLS to mate with their receivers as a marketing point.  DVD-A and SACD are more or less dead formats so I don't personally see a benefit in paying the licensing fee.  Even Sony has given up in this area.

Pioneers receivers are mostly all the same platform with small changes to amplifier power or some very small features that are more or less insignificant.  IMO Pioneer haven't really done anything significant in Blu-ray players since the BDP-51/05/09.
Well, unless we are told otherwise, I am going to continue to have faith that Pioneer will release at least one more player with a MediaTek CPU and PQLS via HDMI. While the changes to their receivers may have been subtle, they still use good components and are DSD and PQLS compatible. I think they could make a great BD/DVD-A/SACD PQLS transport player with no problem by just including a single HDMI output, Coaxial, and optical outputs. By doing away with that second HDMI output, the Marvel processor, Component out, Composite out, stereo analog out, and multi-channel analog out, they could cut tremendous costs and afford SACD/DVD-A licensing with less difficulty. Remember while the BDP-62FD/450 had the Marvel video processor and second HDMI output, it didn't have the 32-bit stereo DAC and Composite video output of the BDP-53FD/LX55, which had an MSRP of $100 more. Also, by making these cuts, that might make more room for more Pioneer exclusive features such as Stream Smoother and Sound Retriever in the player itself, for use with older receivers. And don't forget about DSD-to-PCM at 176.4 KHz!
post #63 of 72 Old 01-25-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L View Post

Hi

Having a problem with YouTube is anyone else? Every clip after approx 30 seconds of playback starts breaking up and stutters badly. I've tried Wi-Fi and cabled Ethernet and exactly the same issue, the same clips all play fine on my PC, tablet, phone and a PVR that also has YouTube all over the same network. My broadband connection never has issues with YouTube and download speeds are consistently around 12Meg so I'm positive this isn't a problem with the network or broadband connection.

I'm on the latest version of firmware 1.05.

Regards
Phil

Same problem here. Firmware 1.05. About 1 out of 3 videos I try to reproduce starts stuttering and pixelating after a few seconds. I noticed the stuttering point are reproducible on a given video: like this video will stutter reproducibly after 21s of playback and that other video after 13s, so this excludes network issue (those would be random). What frustates me the most is that other videos plays perfectly.

Did you try to play again the same videos which used to stutter now that your player seems to work fine?
post #64 of 72 Old 02-15-2014, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinnat View Post

Same problem here. Firmware 1.05. About 1 out of 3 videos I try to reproduce starts stuttering and pixelating after a few seconds. I noticed the stuttering point are reproducible on a given video: like this video will stutter reproducibly after 21s of playback and that other video after 13s, so this excludes network issue (those would be random). What frustates me the most is that other videos plays perfectly.

Did you try to play again the same videos which used to stutter now that your player seems to work fine?

Yes was still having the same issues with the same videos, however good news is Pioneer have fixed this in firmware 1.0.6, you should be able to do a Network update and install, if not head over to Pioneer's support site to download.

Best Regards

Phil
meriade likes this.
post #65 of 72 Old 03-02-2014, 12:51 PM

Is this player (BDP-160) any better than the BDP-450?

post #66 of 72 Old 03-30-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meriade View Post

Hi kristoffer77, it does handle well network files, at least the ones I have,

which are mostly encoded with libx264/ac3_fixed (avconv) in Matroska

container files. The media player recognizes multiple audio and subtitle

tracks in matroska container files and allows to change between then

"on the fly", indifferently to where the video file was stored: on an attached

USB storage device or on a server (minidlna/linux) accessed thought DLNA/UPnP.

Cheers, Meriade

Hi! My BDP-160 only recognizes text subtitles in a MKV file, but if there are PGS subtitles embedded in the MKV file, then via DLNA (PS3 media server) he does not see the file at all (I have to go via 'transcode' option, then the file plays, but without subtitles), and when such a file is on USB storage, the player freezes completely (have to unplug the power cord). Anyway experiencing anything similar? How do you play MKVs with PGS subtitles?

Also text subtitles in a MKV file are always on - is there any way to set them to off by default and not every time I play such a file?

post #67 of 72 Old 03-30-2014, 11:15 PM

Liked: 17
There is a new fw out. 1.0.6

I haven't updated since I afraid it will break dvd region all.
post #68 of 72 Old 04-01-2014, 02:14 AM

I just updated to 1.0.6
No problems at all. It seems like the drive is more quiet after the update because it doesn't spin as much up as before. cool.gif
post #69 of 72 Old 06-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi, can it plays 1080p matroska files from an USB memory?

The user manual specifies the limit in .mkv format is 1280x720, what happen with 1920x1080 at 24fps?.

Thanks.

post #70 of 72 Old 06-03-2014, 04:46 AM

Ok. I have played 1080p files from my nas.

Ever since I upgraded to 1.0.6 the player will occasionally spin the disc up and just lock completely up. frown.gif
The only thing that helps is to unplug it.
gymnos likes this.
post #71 of 72 Old 06-03-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoffer77 View Post

Ok. I have played 1080p files from my nas.

Ever since I upgraded to 1.0.6 the player will occasionally spin the disc up and just lock completely up. frown.gif
The only thing that helps is to unplug it.

Ok, thanks.

Have you noticed this error before the firmware upgrade?.

post #72 of 72 Old 06-06-2014, 02:45 AM

Not really.
gymnos likes this.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Brand , Pioneer Electronics

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version