Just mulling it over, is the Blu-ray on the way out? Vs game consoles? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc2112 View Post

Great article! It just reaffirmed my position. Rentals of optical media is down, streaming is up. My question for the forum, if you all were just buying a system today for the first time, would you buy a bluray player? Also, when was the last time you actually PURCHASED anything on optical media?

If it was my main system, no question about it. But I wouldn't be buying a soundbar for my main system either. wink.gif Now if I had a bedroom TV (wall mounted), I'd use a soundbar (probably the B&W Panorama 2), Apple TV tucked behind the TV and just stream the content. A nice clean look. PQ and AQ aren't as critical to me in that environment, so streaming makes sense there.

As for when was my last BD purchase, technically it was 2 days ago, but it should be arriving tomorrow. The cool thing about BD is, when I buy my movie, I usually buy the version with a digital copy (when available). So I have the best of both worlds, the quality for my main system, and portability for my iPad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post

Have you also noticed the CD and DVD section was replaced by the BD section, which continues to grow? Have you been to Fry's and noticed their monstrous BD section? Of course not. Yes there is push for streaming, but that in no way is a substitute for Blu-ray. Streaming music makes sense. Streaming portable movies makes sense. For the people that want the best video and audio quality out of their HT, streaming does not make sense. The reason you can't tell the difference between BD and AppleTV movies, is because your system can't fully make use of BD's potential.

So now let me address your system. I don't want to be harsh, but it seems like you need a good dose of reality. Your soundbar is mediocre at best. I've listened to MUCH better sound bars than yours (B&W Panorama 2 and Yamaha YSP-5100), and while they sound very good for a soundbar, they are in no way a substitute for dedicated channels. Sorry, that's just reality. So it's understandable why streaming content and BD seem very similar to you.

+1
post #33 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Ac
Quote:

Have you also noticed the CD and DVD section was replaced by the BD section, which continues to grow? Have you been to Fry's and noticed their monstrous BD section? Of course not. Yes there is push for streaming, but that in no way is a substitute for Blu-ray. Streaming music makes sense. Streaming portable movies makes sense. For the people that want the best video and audio quality out of their HT, streaming does not make sense. The reason you can't tell the difference between BD and AppleTV movies, is because your system can't fully make use of BD's potential.

So now let me address your system. I don't want to be harsh, but it seems like you need a good dose of reality. Your soundbar is mediocre at best. I've listened to MUCH better sound bars than yours (B&W Panorama 2 and Yamaha YSP-5100), and while they sound very good for a soundbar, they are in no way a substitute for dedicated channels. Sorry, that's just reality. So it's understandable why streaming content and BD seem very similar to you.
actually there was a comparison between the SONOS and the Bowers and Wilkins. Guess which soundbar won?
post #34 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
While I never have bought optical media myself (lifelong renter), I'm hoping it stays around for a long time, or at least until streaming quality is equal to it. I do regret that most folks are so willing to sacrifice quality for convenience. It just lowers the bar for everything.
post #35 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ac
actually there was a comparison between the SONOS and the Bowers and Wilkins. Guess which soundbar won?

Seriously, just stop. The only thing the SONOS would trump the Panorama 2 would be in price, that's it.

Here's a quick blog on someone that's compared the two:

Link

But let's pretend you have the most awesome sound bar ever made, it still can't even pass the HD audio codecs, and you're going to pretend that it will outperform a nice dedicated 5.1 system that's fed a quality BD source? Seriously? It just sounds to me like you have a bad case of sour grapes.
post #36 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Seriously, just stop. The only thing the SONOS would trump the Panorama 2 would be in price, that's it.

Here's a quick blog on someone that's compared the two:

Link

But let's pretend you have the most awesome sound bar ever made, it still can't even pass the HD audio codecs, and you're going to pretend that it will outperform a nice dedicated 5.1 system that's fed a quality BD source? Seriously? It just sounds to me like you have a bad case of sour grapes.
Ok, so I went to Magnolia this morning and purchased an Oppo BD-105 Bluray Player to check it out since their are so many expressing that bluray is superior. I am not a stubborn person and willing to listen to the opinion of others. Well I compared the Video from three sources for The Hobbit. ITUNES VUDU HDX and Bluray from the Oppo 105 to my plasma.

The Bluray version was clearly superior in fact the visual quality was night and day. So I tip my cap to you all, and will start building my system out piece by piece using reference quality components and wiring.

In the future please do not take these forums personal. I just wanted to get as much feedback as possible and it worked in my favor. I now have arguably the best optical media player on earth the Oppo BDP-105. Now to save up for a reference amplifier and 5.1 speaker system to mate with it.

Regards
post #37 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

The OPPO BDP-105
post #38 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, so I went to Magnolia this morning and purchased an Oppo BD-105 Bluray Player to check it out since their are so many expressing that bluray is superior. I am not a stubborn person and willing to listen to the opinion of others. Well I compared the Video from three sources for The Hobbit. ITUNES VUDU HDX and Bluray from the Oppo 105 to my plasma.

The Bluray version was clearly superior in fact the visual quality was night and day. So I tip my cap to you all, and will start building my system out piece by piece using reference quality components and wiring.

In the future please do not take these forums personal. I just wanted to get as much feedback as possible and it worked in my favor. I now have arguably the best optical media player on earth the Oppo BDP-105. Now to save up for a reference amplifier and 5.1 speaker system to mate with it.

Regards

All I have to say is.... WOW!!! I definitely have a lot of respect for you man. I never took this personal, but quite honestly, I just figured you were a stubborn person that just had his mind set. You definitely proved me wrong though. You didn't have to go crazy with an Oppo BDP-105 (an Oppo 103 would have done fine), but that's pretty awesome! Congrats on your new purchase and good luck on a very expensive future. wink.gif
post #39 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Nrc, welcome to the world beyond that of the small footprint/mobile crowd. Wait until you get a serious sound system with a nice sub, adds a whole different level of experience for movies that is simply beyond soundbar capabilities.

A little overkill on the BD player purchase IMHO, so I too am interested in what you end up on the audio..... smile.gif

post #40 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for all of the nice comments! After reviewing the 105, I read that the Audio has very good and separate DAC's. I plan on connecting the OPPO to the amplifier via analog for the best sound quality. I am thinking of Mcintosh power amp and still need help with the speakers.

Any thoughts?

I will use balanced XLR connect for stereo listening and Analog 5.1 or maybe 7.1 for Bluray films.
post #41 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 835
More overkill with Mcintosh but if you can afford it...but you need to start your own thread now. smile.gif

post #42 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Well done, nrc2112!!! The OPPO is easily the best Blu-ray player out there. Excellent purchase, and welcome to the land of Home theater geekdom!!
post #43 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for all of the nice comments! After reviewing the 105, I read that the Audio has very good and separate DAC's. I plan on connecting the OPPO to the amplifier via analog for the best sound quality. I am thinking of Mcintosh power amp and still need help with the speakers.

Any thoughts?

I will use balanced XLR connect for stereo listening and Analog 5.1 or maybe 7.1 for Bluray films.

Holy crap man, I think you are the first person that I've seen that's gone from a sound bar to a full blown high end McIntosh setup! Are you planning on using a processor, or are you going to go Oppo straight to your amp? If so, you're going to have fun time picking out some speakers. Because if you can afford McIntosh gear, you should have a nice budget for some really nice speakers. Good luck!

And post pictures when you're done. The before and after pics should be epic. smile.gif
post #44 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

More overkill with Mcintosh but if you can afford it...but you need to start your own thread now. smile.gif

No such thing. wink.gif
post #45 of 47 Old 05-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Holy crap man, I think you are the first person that I've seen that's gone from a sound bar to a full blown high end McIntosh setup! Are you planning on using a processor, or are you going to go Oppo straight to your amp? If so, you're going to have fun time picking out some speakers. Because if you can afford McIntosh gear, you should have a nice budget for some really nice speakers. Good luck!

And post pictures when you're done. The before and after pics should be epic. smile.gif
Yes, I am crazy like that! Once I got your opinions, I figured if I was to get a true Home Theater experience then I would always get the very best. I am reading that the OPPO 105 is being utilized as a video processor as well as a pre-amp with direct connections to a power amp. No need for a AVR in this case. You see, I am someone that like elegance and simplicity in my systems. I do not like redundancy or paying for bells and whistles that I do not need. So I am researching the McIntosh power amps and other vendors as well as forums that discuss the 105 directly connected to a power amp and being used as a pre-amp. I really did not want to purchase a TV. I just wanted a great panel/monitor to just display the video source.

More to follow....
post #46 of 47 Old 07-11-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Holy ****, I come back from the hospital [f*cking plasma cell leukemia] and see the discussion get completely derailed from a soundbar
to an Oppo. I'm not surprised, crazy stereo geeks.
post #47 of 47 Old 07-12-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
4K is the industry's big headache as AFAIK they have no discs that could hold a full feature movie at that resolution.

If they move to online downloads only, then Pandora's box will be open and the extravagant lifestyles of many industry
execs will be at stake, so count of more money to our prostitutes in DC to allow even scarier threats every time we sit
down with family to watch a movie, what a shame really. But the herd will tolerate, just look at people still paying for
cable only to watch commercials constantly interrupt anything even remotely interesting.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl42ex440 42 Inch 1080p Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page