Problem getting MKV/Bluray to stream smoothly using ethernet connection over SMB (Oppo 103) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-12-2013, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I have been using Wifi N to stream MKV and some low bit rate Bluray via SMB and it generally works fine with few stuttering. Yesterday, I decided to wire an ethernet cable, about 25 feet long from my bedroom down to the living room where the 103 is located, but for the life of me, I can't even get MKV files to stream without stutter let alone Bluray. With Wifi, I get no stutter even when the bit rate is over 30Mbps, but with ethernet, the video stutters when the bit rate is over 15Mbps.

I have tried wiring the ethernet cable crossover, straight-through T568A and T568B, but same thing. Except for T568B wiring, all the wiring methods can connects to my laptop at 1Gbps using the same cable. For some odd reason, T568B wiring would only connect to the laptop at 10Mbps and sometime 100Mbps using the same cable. I also tried using a different cable about 50 feet long and it's much much worse - Bluray basically play in slow motion at something like 1fps.

To rule out the router, I bypassed my Asus router and connected the cable directly to a Westel DSL modem/router, but same thing. I also used another DSL modem/router as a switch/hub and connected the cable to it and then a short cable from the 103 to the switch/hub, but again same thing.

The only thing I haven't tried is reflashing the firmware. I have also tried resetting the player to factory settings, unplugged the power and set the IP address manually. I can't verify, but I think the player probably only connect at 10Mbps and not 100Mbps. Kind of disappointed that Oppo does not support 1Gbps ethernet as it would allow for much faster and smoother fast forwarding and when viewing pictures, even though max bitrate of Bluray is only half of what the Oppo support. Using January 2013 firmware.

Is my player defective?

Thanks.

I meant to post this in the official Oppo 103 thread, but oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013, 05:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votinh View Post

I meant to post this in the official Oppo 103 thread, but oh well.

It would be worth doing that anyway.

-Bill
Old 05-13-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moderators, please delete this thread as I have posted this in the official Oppo103 thread. Thanks.

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player