I'm completely baffled, and stuck. I have had no problems with my PS3 for as long as I've had it (one of the first models) until now. I don't do firmware updates all that often--usually when something forces me to update. Such was the case recently when trying to use Amazon Instant Video. I was forced to updated to firmware version 4.40 (didn't check to see what I had before the update). No, audio doesn't work on DVDs.
I have a commercial version TV with no speakers, so I feed HDMI directly from my PS3 to the TV, and I use the Optical Digital audio output from the PS3 to my Denon AVR-2805. Everything was working just fine, as I mentioned, until I did the firmware update. This is what I've found:
- I'm definitely still getting sound from my PS3, because I hear the ticks from scrolling through the menus.
- I'm getting sound from the Netflix App
- I am NOT getting sound when playing Blu-ray discs
- I am NOT getting sound when playing regular DVDs.
- I have tried multiple optical cords and none work.
- I bought a Sony BDP-S590 and tried optical AND coax from there, with the same problems (Netflix audio worked, but DVD and Blu-ray audio did not). I checked to see if there was a firmware update on that player, and there was not, so I'm assuming it is in sync with whatever changes were rolled out in general (PS3 + blu-ray players).
- I did a complete reset of my PS3 (took about 3+ hours), same issues.
Unfortunately, I have no way to test audio through HDMI, because my receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, and as mentioned above, my TV doesn't have speakers. I'm going to upgrade my receiver (will have HDMI at that point, hope it helps), but I really want to understand why this happened.
I did change the Optical Digital Audio Output Format to Linear PCM (options are Bitstream Mix, Bitstream Direct, Linear PCM), I get audio in 2 channels and the sound quality is not good. I also tried several different configurations (multi-output audio toggled, etc) and the results were either no sound at all or sound as described already.
Is it possible that a firmware update could cause this? Is it possible Sony changed something (with HDCP) that would break this setup (HDMI video out and Optical Digital audio out)?
Does anyone else have a similar setup? If so, have you had problems after the firmware update?
Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.