PS3 Blu-ray Audio not working After Firmware Update - Any Ideas? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-14-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm completely baffled, and stuck. I have had no problems with my PS3 for as long as I've had it (one of the first models) until now. I don't do firmware updates all that often--usually when something forces me to update. Such was the case recently when trying to use Amazon Instant Video. I was forced to updated to firmware version 4.40 (didn't check to see what I had before the update). No, audio doesn't work on DVDs.

I have a commercial version TV with no speakers, so I feed HDMI directly from my PS3 to the TV, and I use the Optical Digital audio output from the PS3 to my Denon AVR-2805. Everything was working just fine, as I mentioned, until I did the firmware update. This is what I've found:
  1. I'm definitely still getting sound from my PS3, because I hear the ticks from scrolling through the menus.
  2. I'm getting sound from the Netflix App
  3. I am NOT getting sound when playing Blu-ray discs
  4. I am NOT getting sound when playing regular DVDs.

Other troubleshooting:
  • I have tried multiple optical cords and none work.
  • I bought a Sony BDP-S590 and tried optical AND coax from there, with the same problems (Netflix audio worked, but DVD and Blu-ray audio did not). I checked to see if there was a firmware update on that player, and there was not, so I'm assuming it is in sync with whatever changes were rolled out in general (PS3 + blu-ray players).
  • I did a complete reset of my PS3 (took about 3+ hours), same issues.

Unfortunately, I have no way to test audio through HDMI, because my receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, and as mentioned above, my TV doesn't have speakers. I'm going to upgrade my receiver (will have HDMI at that point, hope it helps), but I really want to understand why this happened.

I did change the Optical Digital Audio Output Format to Linear PCM (options are Bitstream Mix, Bitstream Direct, Linear PCM), I get audio in 2 channels and the sound quality is not good. I also tried several different configurations (multi-output audio toggled, etc) and the results were either no sound at all or sound as described already.

Is it possible that a firmware update could cause this? Is it possible Sony changed something (with HDCP) that would break this setup (HDMI video out and Optical Digital audio out)?

Does anyone else have a similar setup? If so, have you had problems after the firmware update?

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

I tested on a friend's TV, and I verified that I at least get sound through HDMI. So I'm guessing the firmware update DID in fact break the ability split the signal--HDMI for video and Digital Optical for audio. I hate you, Sony.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 11:18 AM

Liked: 10
I would try this; while the PS3 is shut down, hold the power button down for about 5 seconds. It should beep once, the green light would come on, then a while later it would beep again. This resets the video and audio settings and prompts you to put in your settings. Might be a good start. I'd also take a look in the audio settings and make sure it's not checked off to output something your receiver doesn't support (like if it's set to Dolby and the receiver only supports DTS or whatever).

All I can think of off the top of my head.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsy View Post

I would try this; while the PS3 is shut down, hold the power button down for about 5 seconds. It should beep once, the green light would come on, then a while later it would beep again. This resets the video and audio settings and prompts you to put in your settings. Might be a good start. I'd also take a look in the audio settings and make sure it's not checked off to output something your receiver doesn't support (like if it's set to Dolby and the receiver only supports DTS or whatever).

All I can think of off the top of my head.

When this happened, I called Sony tech support, and they walked me through this. No luck. In fact, I did a complete wipe and restore of the hard drive, losing everything I had downloaded and saved. They told me I was "out of warranty" but that they could probably get that waived, so I decided to go ahead and try this step. It STILL didn't fix it. And then then when I asked for service, they said it would be $100. Got escalated 3 levels, and same stupid answer. I was furious. Then, they had the audacity to tell me they test "everything" and there is no way they missed this in their testing of the new firmware update. I called their BS, because I am a software developer turned software project manager. I know how testing goes, and NO ONE tests everything--way to expensive.

So frustrating. But at least I know the PS3 still works through HDMI.

Thanks for the suggestion.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2013, 01:52 PM

Liked: 10
It may be possible to revert to an older firmware but that's something I know nothing about.

There's an audio setting that lets you do multiple audio outputs at once. I enabled it so that when I switch from my receiver to my living room tv I don't have to go into the settings each time. I remember it said that only the output you have set as default would have surround sound, the other outputs would be downsampled to 2 channel stereo, so I have mine set to optical and let the hdmi get 2 channel audio to my tv. I'd be curious to see what happens if you use that setting set to on with HDMI as your default audio output while the optical out is hooked up to your receiver.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephatp View Post

When this happened, I called Sony tech support, and they walked me through this. No luck. In fact, I did a complete wipe and restore of the hard drive, losing everything I had downloaded and saved. .

You didn't do a back-up? And why would wiping the HDD clear up a hardware issue?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Avr 2805 A V Home Theater Receiver , Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - S590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page