Newbie Question on 4K Upscaling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I decided it was time to revamp my old home theater setup.

Currently this is my gear:
Sony 65” XBR-65X900A 4K

With
Denon AVR-E400
w/ Northridge JBL's 5.1 (no budget on speaker upgrades yet)
Sony BDP-S5100

Running top notch HDMI cabling as well. Now I am watching my Blu Ray movies (1080p not the 4K mastered) and was wondering if I bought the wrong stand alone Blu Ray player or not.

Question:

Do I need a Blu Ray player that upscales 1080p to 4K then shoots it to the Denon AVR-E400 which then shoots it to my Sony 4K tv? Fry's technicians and even their supervisior was unsure on this answer.

The other Sony Blu Ray player I am considering exchanging for is the Sony BDP-S790 which has the 4K upscaling built in. So my thought process is 1080p upscaled to 4K which then shoots the 4K signal to the Denon which then shoots the 4K to the Sony 4K TV?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-25-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
No -

Your new Sony 4K UHD TV includes a builtin upscaler that scales all std. def. and high def. video to 4K resolution for display. Having a external device, be it either a Blu-ray player or an AVR, do the upscaling only would make sense if the scaler in that external device performs better than the scaler included in the 4K UHD TV.. At this point the BD players and AVRs that include this 4K upscaling feature are generally no better, and may be worse, that the scaling capability that is already built into our new Sony UHD TV.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 3 Old 05-26-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

No -

Your new Sony 4K UHD TV includes a builtin upscaler that scales all std. def. and high def. video to 4K resolution for display. Having a external device, be it either a Blu-ray player or an AVR, do the upscaling only would make sense if the scaler in that external device performs better than the scaler included in the 4K UHD TV.. At this point the BD players and AVRs that include this 4K upscaling feature are generally no better, and may be worse, that the scaling capability that is already built into our new Sony UHD TV.

Thanks and like most men, we never read the freaking instructions! When I read your response I found my answer lol.

Another question since my Denon AVR-E400 does not have WiFi built in (strange since my Sony 4K, Sony BD 5100, Sony PS3, all have WiFi standard) do I need to purchase an external USB WiFi network adapter? Also strange since Denon has their smart app which is supposed to control everything via iPad, iPhone, Android.....am I missing something here?!

In my home we use a Netgear N-300 router running business class high speed with Comcast cable. Router is upstairs but the reception downstairs is fair and usable for streaming music or movies.

I should probably purchase a Netgear USB Wifi Micro Adapter for the sake of brand connectivity as well right? I've had bad experiences with mixing brands on WiFi networks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Denon Avr E400 , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi
Gear in this thread - S5100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page