Blu-ray that does the best job of upscaling regular DVDs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 05-22-2013, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I own a number of regular DVDs and have yet to purchase a Blu-ray player( Go ahead, laugh). My question is what Blu-ray players do the best job of upsccaling regular DVDs at a reasonable and modest price? All suggestions will be most appreciated. -Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 PM

Oppo 103

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #3 of 14 Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What's a reasonable price to you?

post #4 of 14 Old 05-22-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Price wise would hopefully not exceed $400.00. I was considering the Oppo 103 but Halimali over in the Samsung F8500 thread said that she was told to keep her Oppo 83 because it did a better job on upscaling regular DVDs than the newer Oppos, that's why I'm a little confused.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm tired so I'll it a night. See you later.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-23-2013, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 27
There are a lot of options at $400. The 83 is said to be one of the best but it doesn't do streaming. Those that took the plunge say the 103 is best and it does stream as well as 4K. You could even pick up a much older BD player such as a Panasonic 85 or Pioneer 320 that handle DVD very well and could be bought for less than $100. Decisions decisions.

post #7 of 14 Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaomizzle View Post

Oppo 103

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed. If you want the best upscaler, then Oppo is the only way to go...
post #8 of 14 Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 AM

Liked: 32
Bull...Hard to imagine it is 2013 and people still believe they can see the minute particle differences between players... rolleyes.gif

ANY BD player will upconvert DVD just fine. It doesn't really matter anyway as your display has the final say on PQ anyway. Todays processors are so good, the differences are literally too minute to discern...unless that is how you watch a movie, by dissecting every frame... rolleyes.gif

Oppo IS a VERY NICE PLAYER...tho with that said, I have a LG BD570 (about 3+years old now) and I had an Oppo 93...LOVED the Oppo, but ended up keeping the LG and sold the 93. I liked the LG better. The streaming was better, the PQ was indiscernible from the Oppo, and it cost a helluva lot less. No, the LG does NOT support DVD-A or SACD but guess what? I don't use that anyway! wink.gif

Point of this being, go find what looks good to YOU. Bluray will pretty much be a wash across the board, the DVD upconversion equally a wash for all intents and purposes, and the real question any more is the streaming, which, again, really isn't all that any longer as there are dedicated devices with better formats, better apps, better connectivity out there. Like the ROKU2 XS as an example. And the ROKU3 was recently released as well.

Finally, we have the conversion done in the AVR itself (IF you have one) so as you can see, there really is no 'best' anymore. And that's OK. wink.gif
post #9 of 14 Old 05-23-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

Bull...Hard to imagine it is 2013 and people still believe they can see the minute particle differences between players... rolleyes.gif

ANY BD player will upconvert DVD just fine. It doesn't really matter anyway as your display has the final say on PQ anyway. Todays processors are so good, the differences are literally too minute to discern...unless that is how you watch a movie, by dissecting every frame... rolleyes.gif

Oppo IS a VERY NICE PLAYER...tho with that said, I have a LG BD570 (about 3+years old now) and I had an Oppo 93...LOVED the Oppo, but ended up keeping the LG and sold the 93. I liked the LG better. The streaming was better, the PQ was indiscernible from the Oppo, and it cost a helluva lot less. No, the LG does NOT support DVD-A or SACD but guess what? I don't use that anyway! wink.gif

Point of this being, go find what looks good to YOU. Bluray will pretty much be a wash across the board, the DVD upconversion equally a wash for all intents and purposes, and the real question any more is the streaming, which, again, really isn't all that any longer as there are dedicated devices with better formats, better apps, better connectivity out there. Like the ROKU2 XS as an example. And the ROKU3 was recently released as well.

Finally, we have the conversion done in the AVR itself (IF you have one) so as you can see, there really is no 'best' anymore. And that's OK. wink.gif
+1

Well said.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-23-2013, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all your respnses. -Bill
post #11 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 View Post

That is incorrect. I've tried 2 Blu-ray players and 2 upconverting DVD players on the same HDTV and all of them have a difference in PQ when upconverting DVDs. When playing BDs, yes, there really isn't any discernible difference in PQ. But with DVDs, there is.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

That is incorrect. I've tried 2 Blu-ray players and 2 upconverting DVD players on the same HDTV and all of them have a difference in PQ when upconverting DVDs. When playing BDs, yes, there really isn't any discernible difference in PQ. But with DVDs, there is.
Did these two players have all effects turned off?
post #13 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 250
^^^^ Panasonic BD players tend to have Edge Enhancements turned all the way up out of box despite the fact that the player has a pretty good DVD upscaler. If you don't know how to turn them off, you will be disappointed.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-25-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

I did not know that about Panasonic BD players. Thank you for that information. -Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player , Pioneer Bdp 320 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player , Lg Bd570 Network Blu Ray Disc Player , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page