blue ray player to connect my htpc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey guys I need a little help. I haven't had the need for a bd player but with the prices as low as they are, i'm wondering if I can connect my non-hdmi PC to one. If so, will the PC screen show on the TV? Can it be controlled with the remote? Will it play HD video and sound? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
No, no and no. If you want to show your PC on your TV you have to connect it with a cable. To control your PC with a remote, you have to buy a PC remote and IR dongle. To play HD video, you can do that if your video output (VGA in your case) supports HD (720p or 1080i or 1080p). You can only get HD sound through HDMI, so you'll need a new video card with an HDMI output. But you can get Dolby Digital 5.1 several ways, including coax, optical and HDMI.

Not sure how any of this relates to a BD player. You can only connect a standalone BD player to a TV. I suppose if you have a video capture card with component or HDMI inputs you could connect a BD player, but those typically cost a lot more than the player. If your goal is to show your PC screen on your TV, the a BD player is incapable of doing that.

If you want to show BD on your TV, then get a BD player. If you want to show your PC, get a cable and remote, or a new video card, depending on how far you want to go (HD sound, smooth HD video, etc.). PC's that lack HDMI outputs will probably be too slow and choppy on HD video to be watchable. However, decent video cards with HDMI are quite cheap. I only paid $15 for mine.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mdavej,
thanks for clearing that up for me. I didn't really think it was possible but since I've never considered a bd player, I thought I'd ask.
post #4 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
There are, however, many Blu-Ray players that will not only play discs but allow you to stream audio and video from your PC and/or network storage to your TV. You might want to look into this and see if that's really what you are looking for.

post #5 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

There are, however, many Blu-Ray players that will not only play discs but allow you to stream audio and video from your PC and/or network storage to your TV. You might want to look into this and see if that's really what you are looking for.
Yes I've noticed that. And thank you for giving me permission to ask one more dumb question LoL.
Is there one that will allow the use of the JRiver or Xbmc ui?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

Yes I've noticed that. And thank you for giving me permission to ask one more dumb question LoL.
BD players won't do that. You need to stick with a PC or Raspberry Pi or Xbox or something like that. The Pi works quite well and is only $35 but takes some skill to set up.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-28-2013, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. You can see what I'm trying to accomplish, the search for the perfect box continues...
post #8 of 10 Old 05-29-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

The Oppo BDP-103/105 have been working with JRiver just fine.

post #9 of 10 Old 05-29-2013, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^

Yes of course, I was thinking GUI's. But anything with a DLNA server should work on just about any current BD player. But some are much worse than others. Panasonic is probably the worst. Others are ok.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-29-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post

The Oppo BDP-103/105 have been working with JRiver just fine.
I considered an Oppo for use as a pre-pro but went with the Sc1522 instead, so it would be overkill for my needs right now. Besides I'd want the 105 and it's not in the budget rolleyes.gif

If I can get either JRiver or Xbmc on the screen I would be very happy. I've looked at a number of streamers but most seem to have one glitch or another, Bd's seem to be a more stable option. And with the current pricing, a very viable one. Maybe I'll pick one up and see how much I'll miss the fancy ui. Any recommendations under $100?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page