Oppo BDP-105 hum in speakers when using analog 7.1 out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-02-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone had issues with "hum noise" in the speakers, when using the analog output (7,1 ch) of the BDP-105 connected to a pre-pro ?
If I use the stereo outpur of the 105 I have no "hum" and the sound is perfect.
I have good quality interconnect cables. Would like to hear if anyone else had the same situation with the 105.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 908
^ That's likely a Ground Loop. I.E., external garbage, typically 60Hz power line noise, passing along the shields of the cables connecting your equipment looking for a path back to ground so current can flow.

These days the single most common source of that is garbage entering your house on the shield of a Cable or Satellite TV feed wire. To test that, disconnect that feed wire where it comes out of the wall. If the hum goes away, then that's the problem. Fix that by correcting the grounding of that feed where it ENTERS your house.

If you have more than one wall power circuit feeding your set of equipment, the different wall outlets may be at different ground potential. Test that by uncabling stuff until you get to the minimum number of devices that still produce the hum. Note that simply turning them OFF is not enough, they must be uncabled from each other. Then temporarily plug the remaining set into the SAME outlet. If that fixes it then an electrician can likely make a simple change of layout of the circuit breakers in the breaker box to fix it.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3 of 12 Old 06-02-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the informations, my problmes was around the cable TV not being properly grounded.
I simply add a cable from between the grounding block of the cable to the household power grounding.
Hum is gone totally in the speakers, without having to add a cable grounding loop filter.
lanping09 likes this.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-02-2013, 02:52 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Suddenly, as if by logic! biggrin.gif
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Liked: 10
My 105's problems are same with buzzing noise because of TV cable. No using ground for OPPO 105 & amplifier. It's ok now.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseven View Post

My 105's problems are same with buzzing noise because of TV cable. No using ground for OPPO 105 & amplifier. It's ok now.

If at all possible, it would be better to fix the problem where that stuff is entering your house on the shield of the Cable TV feed wire. The lack of proper grounding where the feed enters your house also means that surges can come in that way -- e.g., lightning strikes in your area.
--Bob

post #7 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 06:38 PM

Thanks Bob, I try to ground sheild of cable TV to same ground with 105 & amplifier but noise reduce a little bit not 100%. How can I do more now?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

You may have more than one source of ground loop garbage current. To see if it is ALL coming from the cable TV feed, simply disconnect that feed wire where it comes out of the wall. If that makes all the hum go away then that feed is the only problem.

Fix it by grounding the service box properly where that feed enters your house. Also make sure the cable ends are attached properly to the cable and screwed down tight at each connection point.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

post #9 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

You may have more than one source of ground loop garbage current. To see if it is ALL coming from the cable TV feed, simply disconnect that feed wire where it comes out of the wall. If that makes all the hum go away then that feed is the only problem.

Fix it by grounding the service box properly where that feed enters your house. Also make sure the cable ends are attached properly to the cable and screwed down tight at each connection point.
--Bob

Thanks for your help, it's ok now.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-22-2013, 01:50 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Help please, I plugged in my Mac Book Air using the USB cable but I get no sound, I am using itine with Audirvana!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 08:09 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Got it I needed to change the input:)
post #12 of 12 Old 07-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Original post solved. Thread locked. Please use the Oppo 105 thread for further discussions.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread

Thanks,

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Closed Thread Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 105 Blu Ray Player , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page