I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a player that can get us to the actual movie fastest?
By that I mean ones that not only boot quickly, but also have the ability to jump right to a movie. I know there probably isn't a way to get past the copyright messages and that is fine, but all the other annoying garbage at the beginning should be able to be bypassed / skipped.
I am currently using a slim PS3 as our player, which was purchased prior to the construction of the home theater as an all-in-one sort of device so as not to excessively clutter up the living room. But now that the theater is done and all the gear racked in a separate room, I am likely looking to buy a standalone player. (No rush; it may be something Santa brings.)
e.g.- To play one recent disc:
1. PS3 boot up
2. Navigate PS3 menu to watch a movie (I am really regretting setting it up on the PS network as now it defaults to that instead of the movie)
3. Blu ray disc commercials
4. Blu ray disc attempted to redirect to start up some sort of app (but I forget this part exactly)
5. Disc menu
6. US / FBI copyright warnings
7. International / Interpol warnings (these were a separate segment)
8. More commercials / previews
9. Theoretically now finally able to watch a movie...
10. ...except that in frustration I accidentally fast forwarded a couple of chapters into the movie since the PS3 is a bit slow at that
11. But overshot that too and had to go back through the previews again
12. Finally able to actually watch the movie!
It has gotten to the point where when we have people over to watch a movie, as the guests start to arrive I go to the theater and do all of that since the above can take up to 10 minutes.
I would pay a LOT of money for a player that simply plays the movie when the disc is inserted. (Starting to really miss VHS
I was considering a PS4 or new Xbox when those are out this year, but am thinking a standalone player may be the way to go. The other idea was to research to see if an HT PC could help there, e.g.- is it possible to rip the discs, remove the extra junk, and have just a movie?
I would appreciate any ideas on this; thank you in advance!