Blu-ray Player with Fastest "Start-up"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a player that can get us to the actual movie fastest?

By that I mean ones that not only boot quickly, but also have the ability to jump right to a movie. I know there probably isn't a way to get past the copyright messages and that is fine, but all the other annoying garbage at the beginning should be able to be bypassed / skipped.

I am currently using a slim PS3 as our player, which was purchased prior to the construction of the home theater as an all-in-one sort of device so as not to excessively clutter up the living room. But now that the theater is done and all the gear racked in a separate room, I am likely looking to buy a standalone player. (No rush; it may be something Santa brings.)

e.g.- To play one recent disc:

1. PS3 boot up
2. Navigate PS3 menu to watch a movie (I am really regretting setting it up on the PS network as now it defaults to that instead of the movie)
3. Blu ray disc commercials
4. Blu ray disc attempted to redirect to start up some sort of app (but I forget this part exactly)
5. Disc menu
6. US / FBI copyright warnings
7. International / Interpol warnings (these were a separate segment)
8. More commercials / previews
9. Theoretically now finally able to watch a movie...
10. ...except that in frustration I accidentally fast forwarded a couple of chapters into the movie since the PS3 is a bit slow at that
11. But overshot that too and had to go back through the previews again
12. Finally able to actually watch the movie!

It has gotten to the point where when we have people over to watch a movie, as the guests start to arrive I go to the theater and do all of that since the above can take up to 10 minutes.

I would pay a LOT of money for a player that simply plays the movie when the disc is inserted. (Starting to really miss VHS biggrin.gif )

I was considering a PS4 or new Xbox when those are out this year, but am thinking a standalone player may be the way to go. The other idea was to research to see if an HT PC could help there, e.g.- is it possible to rip the discs, remove the extra junk, and have just a movie?

I would appreciate any ideas on this; thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBFree View Post

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on a player that can get us to the actual movie fastest?

By that I mean ones that not only boot quickly, but also have the ability to jump right to a movie. I know there probably isn't a way to get past the copyright messages and that is fine, but all the other annoying garbage at the beginning should be able to be bypassed / skipped.

I am currently using a slim PS3 as our player, which was purchased prior to the construction of the home theater as an all-in-one sort of device so as not to excessively clutter up the living room. But now that the theater is done and all the gear racked in a separate room, I am likely looking to buy a standalone player. (No rush; it may be something Santa brings.)

e.g.- To play one recent disc:
You're basically out of luck. Blu-Ray disc navigation is controlled by the BD-Java that is part of the disc authoring. There is nothing any player can really do to get around this because once you load the disc the entire navigation is under the control of the software on the disc and not the player. Fast-forwarding through the items is usually the best you can do. There are some players that can boot up faster and do fast-forward a little faster but there are no players that I have heard of that can defeat the BD authoring.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Some studios let you press menu button to bypass the commercials and jump right to the movie menu (IIRC, Disney is one of them). But majority of the releases require you to sit through all the commercials. Some even disable chapter advance functions as well. You are really at the mercy of studios. Players can't do anything about it. Some discs allow you to resume watching a movie instead of forcing you go through all the commercials again.

So, bascially, you just have to pick which discs you can watch, not which players you use.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I've never seen a Blu-ray that forced you to watch all that stuff. I've always been able to go straight to the menu and play the movie. The only thing I have to wait on is the anti-piracy message and occasionally a ~15 second studio ad. If I had to wait 10 minutes to just get to what I wanted to watch there is no way in hell I would have a Blu-ray player.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #5 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

I've never seen a Blu-ray that forced you to watch all that stuff. I've always been able to go straight to the menu and play the movie.

You didn't watch enough discs, obviously. I have Netflix BD subscription and I encountered all kinds of disc authoring. I'd say it is very rare that a disc will let you go directly to movie.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Disney does allow you to hit the top menu button to bypass previews and go straight to the main menu. They are the only ones I know of that do this. As for rentals, some only put the movie on the disc.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #7 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the replies. It looks like the best bet is simply to get a newer player that might be a bit faster than the PS3 just by virtue of the PS3 being a bit long in the tooth now.

I will also check out the menu possibilities again, as I tried that at one point but it was hit or miss as to which discs supported it. We do watch a lot of Disney smile.gif
post #8 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

You didn't watch enough discs, obviously. I have Netflix BD subscription and I encountered all kinds of disc authoring. I'd say it is very rare that a disc will let you go directly to movie.

Not directly to the movie but directly to the menu. Then semi-directly to the movie. Or the other way around. I can't remember where the anti piracy screen comes into play.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #9 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

Not directly to the movie but directly to the menu. Then semi-directly to the movie. Or the other way around. I can't remember where the anti piracy screen comes into play.

Like I said, not possible in a lot of movies. Disney is the only studio let you do that as posted above. Some Universal titles may let you do that as well but I don't remember.

Rental discs do not mean movie only. Some probably come with more commercials than retail discs. What they lack is extras and sometimes HD audios. I can count in one hand for all the rental discs that come with nothing but movie.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBFree View Post

Thank you everyone for the replies. It looks like the best bet is simply to get a newer player that might be a bit faster than the PS3 just by virtue of the PS3 being a bit long in the tooth now.

Actually, the PS3 is stll one of the fastest Blu-Ray players around. i have an Oppo and it is about as fast as the Sony. TheSony BDP-S790 was the quickest player i have used so far... It had dual processors.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #11 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Actually, the PS3 is stll one of the fastest Blu-Ray players around. i have an Oppo and it is about as fast as the Sony. TheSony BDP-S790 was the quickest player i have used so far... It had dual processors.

Actually according to other S790 owners posted here, it is not much faster than S590, the cheaper version. Also, the 2013 Sony models (S5100/S3100) are also faster than 2012 models.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Yeap. My 2012 Panasonic 320 is faster loading than my Sony S790 (only by a few seconds). 2013 models are quicker, but I wouldn't get the 2013 Pansonics. I wasn't impressed. Haven't tried the 2013 Sonys.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #13 of 13 Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Foxbat121 and teachsac, those are the players I am considering. Since the 2012 Sony S390 and S590 were replaced by the S3100 and S5100, I will probably wait and see if/when the S790 is replaced by an S7100. The Panasonic 500 looks good too; will have to go check them out and compare.

I have a Panasonic PT -AE7000U projector but am not sure if that gives their player any sort of edge in terms of integration.

Despite just finishing the theater in the last year or so, I am already plotting out the upgrades :-) The screen is a Seymour 4k AT but the projector isn't 4k capable so I might even consider going with a less expensive blu ray player (maybe get the S790 when the price drops as it is replaced) and then when I can swing a 4k projector (in probably 4+ years) go high end on the player. I may even just stick with the PS3 for a while if it is still considered to be fast, as Jon pointed out. Then I would need to look into how the Onkyo TXNR3009 handles 4k...

Lots to think about...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790 , Panasonic Dmp Bdt320 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Bdp S3100 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page