The baffling statement about future of Bluray by a Blockbuster store manager - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I thought this was the best place to post this since it's regarding bluray discs and players.

I have an account through Blockbuster and usually get my bluray discs online and trade them in at the store for other bluray discs. Well the last few times I went in there, they had moved everything around. Where bluray was taking up large amounts of shelf space, they reduced this with mostly DVDs. Also, a few new releases only had DVDs and no bluray. I ask the manager what was going on. She responded that the blurays will be available in a few days and that people are now mostly going for DVDs so they are reducing space for bluray. And they have found by offering DVDs instead of bluray for new releases they can keep costs to a minimum and people who normally rent the blurays now will rent the DVDs anyway--and most people can't tell the difference anyway. I was baffled, I thought bluray would grow and take over DVD, but Blockbuster is bucking the trend. Interesting strategy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 194
All of the Blockbuster store near me had closed door forever in past few years. So, your store is simply do their best try to survive by minimize the cost. The trend is streaming, not BD, nor DVD.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Good points. From what I've seen, streaming quality is less than DVD in most cases, but people want it "now" vs. want quality so we'll see where this goes.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Video rental stores were very slow to offer blu-ray in the first place due to the higher cost and limited number of titles, and by the time they finally did, it was too late, nobody was renting anymore but streaming instead. So I'm not surprised by any of those statements. As long as blu-ray costs significantly more than DVD, it will not overtake DVD, despite the higher quality. Also, the number of blu-ray titles available is a tiny fraction of the number of DVD titles available. The only way to get a complete shift to DVD is drop the price, convert EVERYTHING to blu-ray and stop selling DVDs altogether. I don't see this happening anytime soon.

I hate to bring up HD-DVD, but that was really the right path forward. Those could be hybrids, with both DVD and HD-DVD on the same disc that could play on any player. That kept production costs down and maintained backward compatibility. Win-win for everyone. But sony had to shove BD down our throats. BD is still inferior to even DVD in many ways. Player incompatibilities abound, resume rarely works, discs are slower to load, and they require a completely different manufacturing process than DVD (which means more expensive). I'm still sad HD-DVD didn't win the format war since it would have meant a smoother/quicker/cheaper transition high definition discs.
post #5 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Don't forget the stduio mandated rental disc delay affects BB as well. So, not only you need to pay more for BD rental, you also have to wait a month or so after release to see the disc in store.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I would agree about HD-DVD but one thing that Sony and Panasonic put into the BD spec were that you could author BD discs on a DVD blank and they would play. Probably because both companies wanted to sell more HD cameras and let those customers distribute their videos on DVDs in HD. On HD-DVD you could only author 20 minutes of HD video and put it on a DVD that an HD-DVD player could play.

HD-DVD could be replicated at any DVD replication plant and BDs require special replication equipment. Also it was expensive to publish for BD. HD-DVD was no problem and I found a few titles from the z-movie companies on HD-DVD. Looking at the BD forum site it looks like things have been relaxed considerably so that's why for the last few years even some z-movie titles have been released both BD and DVD.

Most players upvert anymore so a well authored DVD can look really good. Most people don't have the eyes to see the subtle differences between upverted SD and BD anyway. Streaming HD is getting very good with the codecs getting better all the time. In fact I would say the only reason that some of these stream require high bitrates is because they can't use all the bells and whistles that the codec gives due to some devices not able to decode those realtime (mainly older computers).
post #7 of 12 Old 06-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
"baffling statement about future of Bluray by a Blockbuster store manager":
Well, Blockbuster is sinking faster than ever, so I would not hold much stock in anything they say or do at this point.
There is no question that most of the marketplace cares far more about convenience & cost than quality, which is sending lots of folks towards streaming and away from optical media, especially expensive optical media. I also first got into HD optical media via HD-DVD, but disagree that anything would have been much different or any better had Toshiba/HD-DVD won the format war. The only significant difference would have been that Sony would be once again shut out of royalty payments related to optical media & players. As it stands now, Toshiba still gets royalties for DVD, so they get paid for every blu-ray player licensed and sold (since they also play DVDs) + many of the blu-ray titles sold, since they seem to include a DVD in a great percentage of the titles. Not too bad for the company that "lost" the war imo.
And in my personal experience, blu-ray titles are far more reliable than hd-dvd. A fair number of my hd-dvd titles have failed over the years, mostly due to Warner choosing an incompetent manufacturer for many of their titles.
Time will tell how this shakes out, but I still want the best quality I can get for my home theater viewing and listening pleasure, and blu-ray media remains our best option for that.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #8 of 12 Old 06-13-2013, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It seems like this was more of a statement about the future of Blu-ray rentals, not the future of the Blu-ray format per se. And, in general, I agree with them. Streaming is not just the future of the rental market, but it's already most of the present market as well. If DVD's barely fit into that market anymore, I'm not sure how you can expect Blu-rays to.

Extrapolating what they said to apply to the ownership market isn't fair to anyone. They were clearly talking about casual viewers who weren't even necessarily sure the movie they'd be watching was going to be any good, so were hard-pressed to find a reason to spend more money on it. It's quite possible that these same people who can't be bother with Blu-ray for a rental, would always opt for Blu-ray if/when they purchase one of their favorite movies to own forever.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 130
The people who rent blu rays have left that blockbuster location and that would leave....

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #10 of 12 Old 06-14-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

I thought this was the best place to post this since it's regarding bluray discs and players.

I have an account through Blockbuster and usually get my bluray discs online and trade them in at the store for other bluray discs. Well the last few times I went in there, they had moved everything around. Where bluray was taking up large amounts of shelf space, they reduced this with mostly DVDs. Also, a few new releases only had DVDs and no bluray. I ask the manager what was going on. She responded that the blurays will be available in a few days and that people are now mostly going for DVDs so they are reducing space for bluray. And they have found by offering DVDs instead of bluray for new releases they can keep costs to a minimum and people who normally rent the blurays now will rent the DVDs anyway--and most people can't tell the difference anyway. I was baffled, I thought bluray would grow and take over DVD, but Blockbuster is bucking the trend. Interesting strategy.

LOL

Sounds like your local store is on its last legs. This is exactly what happened 18-24 months or so ago when all the BB video stores in my area started closing. I give it 3-4 months at most. Of course the manager wont tell you this, they want your business right up til the last day the store is open.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #11 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

Good points. From what I've seen, streaming quality is less than DVD in most cases, but people want it "now" vs. want quality so we'll see where this goes.

This to me is just idiotic....what is the point of getting the latest and greatest TV then playing VHS quality on your tv's or crappy sound on your 10K audio system mad.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 06-16-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post

This to me is just idiotic....what is the point of getting the latest and greatest TV then playing VHS quality on your tv's or crappy sound on your 10K audio system mad.gif

If you can afford a 10k audio system, you're probably not renting.
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page