Dune HD Smart B1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 143
How's the BD play back on this unit compared to a stand alone bd player?

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Theater Build and Two Sono Sub Builds Here-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

I'm looking at something to replace my WD Live boxes and came across the Dune HD Smart B1.

What's the general consensus on this box? How's the BD play back?

You're in the wrong spot, you need to go this area:  http://www.avsforum.com/f/39/networking-media-servers-content-streaming

This thread started in August 2010 has your answers:  http://www.avsforum.com/t/1270503/new-dune-hd-max-and-hd-smart-anticipation-thread-q3-2010

Maybe try the search function smile.gif.smile.gifsmile.gif

Old 06-12-2013, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry, updated to better suit this section. I really wanted to know specifically about the bd player.

My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server
Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No one?

Old 06-14-2013, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 49
it depends what do you want out of it. as a media player it supports a lot formats including exotic ones which BD player will never support. it provides excellent network streaming and a lot of internet services. as a BD player - it's crap. honestly - any cheap BD player outperforms DUNE plus most of them will give you 3DBD support. If you need everything the best setup is Dune HD Smart H1 + cheap player like Pio BDP-140 or 150 which have a bonus of the CFW with 3BD ISO support . This is my setup. I've never looked back...
Old 06-14-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Borland. Thats exactly what i want to know, about the player in the dune. I thought it would be nice to kill two birds with one stone. No biggie though, now i get to buy another piece of equipment. smile.gif

Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by borland View Post

it depends what do you want out of it. as a media player it supports a lot formats including exotic ones which BD player will never support. it provides excellent network streaming and a lot of internet services. as a BD player - it's crap. honestly - any cheap BD player outperforms DUNE plus most of them will give you 3DBD support. If you need everything the best setup is Dune HD Smart H1 + cheap player like Pio BDP-140 or 150 which have a bonus of the CFW with 3BD ISO support . This is my setup. I've never looked back...

Do you know where someone can buy a new H1 in the US? And does the H1 display the full blu-ray menus, and pass through DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD? Thanks.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:58 AM

This is from from my Dune Smart H1 - flexible support for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio: output as bitstream or decode to LPCM for flexibility when connecting audio equipment - so yes if you have decent a-reciver - no probs with this. It also supports BD ISOs and DVD ISOs with full menus. The only thing which it does not support is 3D BD ISO. This is a hardware limitation of the old Sigma chipset. If you don't need 3D BD ISO support - grab it. The audio and video formats support is probably the best on the market. Internal 3.5" SATA HDD can be formated in NTFS. A lot of free plugins on the i-net.
I don't know where to buy it in the States - I am in the UK and got mine from the local supplier. Hurry up as it seems like it's been discontinued and the new Dunes provide 3XX series provide 3D BD ISO support with only LIGHT MENU which is useless for me. Especially if have branched BD ISOs like Disney and some others. The video formats support is also not so good.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:

This is from from my Dune Smart H1 - flexible support for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio: output as bitstream or decode to LPCM for flexibility when connecting audio equipment - so yes if you have decent a-reciver - no probs with this. It also supports BD ISOs and DVD ISOs with full menus. The only thing which it does not support is 3D BD ISO. This is a hardware limitation of the old Sigma chipset. If you don't need 3D BD ISO support - grab it. The audio and video formats support is probably the best on the market. Internal 3.5" SATA HDD can be formated in NTFS. A lot of free plugins on the i-net.
I don't know where to buy it in the States - I am in the UK and got mine from the local supplier. Hurry up as it seems like it's been discontinued and the new Dunes provide 3XX series provide 3D BD ISO support with only LIGHT MENU which is useless for me. Especially if have branched BD ISOs like Disney and some others. The video formats support is also not so good.

Thank you very much for the information. Yes, it sounds like exactly what we want, since we don't need 3D. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it anywhere online. And I, too, don't care for the BD-Lite crap. If all I wanted were text listings of the contents, I may as well take the time to compress the videos I want, save the storage space, and just select the video file I want to play from the folder structure. The whole reason for sacrificing some storage space is to get the full BD menus, just as if we had placed the disc into a player. Why do these manufacturers not understand that?

Do you (or does anyone) know if Dune is abandoning full blu-ray menu support in their players from here on out? I sure hope not, but it doesn't appear to be available with any of their newer models (unless I've missed something, which is entirely possible).

Also, you mention the hard drive with the H1. Does it come with a hard drive already installed, and if so, what are its specs? Or is it just a bay for insertion of an add-on hard drive?

And finally, does the Dune HD Air work on the H1, and if so, does anyone know if it can be bought anywhere online in the U.S.?

Thank you again for the help.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:05 PM

you will not be able to get media player with full BD menu support if it's been released after Feb last year. the reason is that no player without BD drive will ever get the BD stack license and all BD players should now have Cinavia protection (google for it if you don't know what Cinavia stands for) which renders media players with ISO support useless as you can't put the original BD or DVD in it. you can say thank you to the Hollywood Studios and Sony. Obsession with piracy makes legitimate owners of the original BDs and ISOs created from the legitimate owned BDs suffer.

Dune Smart has been released before the Feb last year so it's free from these limitations but it's getting extinct now. It comes without HDD but any green 3.5 SATA HDD works fine. Green HDD is a preferred option to avoid overheating of the high speed normal hard drive in enclosed space with passive heat removal.

And don't bother with Dune - air. buy decent dual band usb powered ethernet-wifi bridge and it'll work faster and better on less crowded 5GGh band. I use Netgear Wnce3001-100Frs Universal Dual-Band Wireless Internet Adapter
Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:

you will not be able to get media player with full BD menu support if it's been released after Feb last year. the reason is that no player without BD drive will ever get the BD stack license and all BD players should now have Cinavia protection (google for it if you don't know what Cinavia stands for) which renders media players with ISO support useless as you can't put the original BD or DVD in it. you can say thank you to the Hollywood Studios and Sony. Obsession with piracy makes legitimate owners of the original BDs and ISOs created from the legitimate owned BDs suffer.

Dune Smart has been released before the Feb last year so it's free from these limitations but it's getting extinct now. It comes without HDD but any green 3.5 SATA HDD works fine. Green HDD is a preferred option to avoid overheating of the high speed normal hard drive in enclosed space with passive heat removal.

And don't bother with Dune - air. buy decent dual band usb powered ethernet-wifi bridge and it'll work faster and better on less crowded 5GGh band. I use Netgear Wnce3001-100Frs Universal Dual-Band Wireless Internet Adapter

Thank you again for the help. As a software developer who is brand new to this technology, I'm now wondering if I could write my own BD/DVD full menu player to run on an HTPC, if I could find software that can decrypt the Cinavia encrypted content when creating ISOs. Hmmm...
Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM

if you can write your own player - it would be nice. ANY DVD HD from Slysosft claim they can disable Cinavia in Power DVD-12 player. However I personally have a lot of problems when I tick Cinavia protection disable box in AnyDVDHD. Also they say that DVDFab player is free from Cinavia - I don't have it so can't check it. However this is totally off top as there is no way this can help to hardware media player. We are stuck with useless light menu or you have Cinavia which shows not only on more or less all newly released BDs and DVDs but all rips are affected as well. Another option is to buy Pioneer BDP-140, 150 or 450 and load CFW on it - no Cinavia, no problems with 3BD ISOs and BD ISOs. However other formats support is good but not nearly as good as Dune Smart. For example Mkv is supported at simple profile up to 4.1. Some other exotic formats are no go as well.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 AM

Thanks again. At this point, I don't know what I'm going to do. Looks like more research in my immediate future.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerbuckeye View Post

Thank you again for the help. As a software developer who is brand new to this technology, I'm now wondering if I could write my own BD/DVD full menu player to run on an HTPC, if I could find software that can decrypt the Cinavia encrypted content when creating ISOs. Hmmm...

Cinavia does not use encryption, it uses an audio watermark that cannot be removed. You can use a player that ignores it, or reduce the movie to an MKV/M2TS file and play it on the Oppo. Its also not a very common issue, since only Sony uses it.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM

true - you can't decrypt Cinavia but ANY DVD HD claim they can disable it in Power DVD-12 soft player. It's not uncommon - actually it becomes mandatory for all new releases. It's relevant to not only to Sony but to most new BD and some DVDs. However Sony is driving this as the creator of the BD Forum. Have a look at this:
http://blog.dvdfab.com/cinavia-protection.html
It slightly outdated but gives you some idea how quickly the infection spreads
Old 06-20-2013, 01:52 PM

Obviously there is a way to ignore/deactivate this audio, or else it would be heard on all the commercially published discs containing it when they are played. And if it can be ignored/deactivated by players that play the discs, there is no "technical" reason it cannot be likewise ignored/deactivated by players that play the content in ISO or other file formats. Therefore, it must be a legal issue. But this is where I become confused (my apologies for that). Why is it that this form of content protection prevents the support by players of ISO full menus, when other forms of content protection did not in the past?

If it's a legal issue that prevents players from ignoring/deactivating this audio in ISO full menus, that's one thing. But I guess I don't understand how if a player gains the legal right to ignore/deactivate this form of content protection, it can't then support ISO full menus just like it can with other content.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:

true - you can't decrypt Cinavia but ANY DVD HD claim they can disable it in Power DVD-12 soft player. It's not uncommon - actually it becomes mandatory for all new releases. It's relevant to not only to Sony but to most new BD and some DVDs.

This is completely false. Cinavia is a licensed DRM product that studios may or may not choose to use. It's only mandatory for players to support the detection of Cinavia. As of today, ONLY Sony releases are using Cinavia. It's a pretty expensive DRM for studios, with startup costs well into 6 figures, plus license fees per release and per disc. If you can point to one new non-Sony release with confirmed Cinavia watermarks, I'll take it all back.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The OPPO bd-103 is looking like a better option at this point.

Sure I might lose the ability to stream from my SMB NAS drive (unclear on this at the moment) but that's OK. I don't have a lot invested in NAS drives. Only one WD World book and it's much to slow to keep around for a serious home theater setup. I can build my media library on external drives for now and spend the big money on the other things. Like the OPPO and room treatments.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

If you can point to one new non-Sony release with confirmed Cinavia watermarks, I'll take it all back.
OK mate:

The Campaign - Warner Bros, Frankenweenie - Disney. I agree that so far 95% Cinavia protected BDs and DVDs are Sony. I just to clarify and explain what I've said before - I think, IMHO etc and I saw somewhere on the net that Sony, as the BD Forum creator is pushing Cinavia to be mandatory on all BD DVDs. The first step is that all players released after Feb last year must be able to detect Cinavia. Some older players had FW upgrade from their OEM which introduced Cinavia. Why Sony would do it if only Sony released DVDs had Cinavia? I think it's just the matter of time when all Hollywood Studios will require that all new DVDs must have Cinavia watermark. The money is not an issue if it's done in sake for the combat with piracy and who cares how expensive it's as at the end the consumer pays??? We already pay fo BD license, AAC etc so who cares?
Take care.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

The OPPO bd-103 is looking like a better option at this point.

Sure I might lose the ability to stream from my SMB NAS drive (unclear on this at the moment) but that's OK. I don't have a lot invested in NAS drives. Only one WD World book and it's much to slow to keep around for a serious home theater setup. I can build my media library on external drives for now and spend the big money on the other things. Like the OPPO and room treatments.

Why OPPO? Why not Pio BDP-450 with CFW? You will have the same 2 HDMIs, similar post processing + BD and 3BD ISO playback with full menus. Also SMB/NFS and SACD ISO. and this will be for the fraction of the price of OPPO. And one more thing - NO bloody Cinavia at all!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What is the CFW you keep referencing? I actually did order the bdp 150 but also ordered a dune base 3d.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 AM

Hi, since a few days can't play mkv files on blu ray data recorded by me.
Before worked fine.
I need some help! Thanks a lot!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:30 PM

factory reset, reinstall FW, erase and reformat and re initialise system storage. reinstall plugins and you should be OK
Old 03-01-2014, 12:38 PM

Hi, I did everything you said and still problem.... I do not think is a hardware problem Other dvd recognize instantlly and this "no disc" problem is inmediatally also....
Thanks a lot!

Tags
Pioneer Blu Ray Player Bdp 140 , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player