Oppo 103 front panel operation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quick question, is it possible to do basic operations on the 103 without the remote? Start a disc playing for example. Basically, does it have an "enter" button and navigation buttons on the front panel?

thanks,
mk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Yes. By the way, you can download the manual from the OPPO Digital web site.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3 of 11 Old 06-23-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Bob, it's been a long time! Well, a long time since I've been on these forums.

Yes, I looked at the 103 user manual but didn't see anything to suggest it could be operated without the remote. I must be missing the "enter" button. Most DVD/Blu-ray disc will not respond to the "play" button. Perhaps the play button is dual function?

thanks,
mk
post #4 of 11 Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes, it is dual function.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #5 of 11 Old 07-03-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bob, it doesn't work! It depends on the disc, if it requires "play" be highlighted and then "enter" pressed, you're just SOL. Some disc will accept a "play" command but others require the "enter" command. Looks like the NAD T-567 can do it...

Excerpt from the NAD manual...

The front panel 9/0, 7/8 and ENTER buttons respectively simulate the same functions of the A/S/D/F and ENTER buttons of the BR 2 remote control under the following conditions or options only
• Navigating through the HOME menu and SETUP menu.
• Browsing DivX or PHOTO files on a disc or USB device.

I'll probably just ship the OPPO back and get the T-567. Oh well!

mk
post #6 of 11 Old 07-03-2013, 07:00 PM
Read the FAQ!

The 4 front panel buttons surrounding Play should function as the 4 Arrow buttons for navigating to the Play choice on the disc's menu when you are viewing a menu. If you've found a disc where that does not work, call or email OPPO tech support. Works for me in the discs I've checked.
--Bob

post #7 of 11 Old 07-03-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, that would be great if they can fix it with a firmware update. The disc I put in was "Land of the Lost" (Blu-Ray) The Play button just gives you that red circle with a cross through it. Stop works... it stops it. The others have the same result as play, just the red circle.

thanks,
Monte
post #8 of 11 Old 07-04-2013, 02:37 AM
Read the FAQ!

Are you actually on Top Menu for that disc? Or is it asking if you want to Resume playback from where you last left off? (You can discard the Resume Play Point in Setup by Erasing Persistent Storage.)

I'm not sure why you want to use the front panel buttons for this, so I'll just mention another way to do things without using the remote is via a USB keyboard (either directly attached or via a wireless adapter). The Arrow and Enter keys on that should do the trick.
--Bob

post #9 of 11 Old 07-04-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was top menu. Yeah the keyboard idea might work even better, never thought of that. It would be nice to keep the Oppo and not swap for the NAD, even though it's about $100 more I'm not so sure the NAD is as good as the Oppo.

thanks,
mk
post #10 of 11 Old 07-04-2013, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes the keyboard works. Maybe not completely ideal but good enough. If your working on a bench and using a player for what ever testing the remote is just in the way and constantly lost. Front panel controls like the NAD are perfect. Thing is, 99.99% of the time I won't need this because it will just be used as a normal player. I was just expecting it to be a more common feature than it turns out to be. The front panel controls do work for navigation inside the menus so that proves it's possible. I'm canceling my return request.

Edit: Response from Oppo...

PLAY acts like ENTER. Please be aware that the front panel buttons will work for specific contents only, and will not work with most Blu-rays as the BD-JAVA does not allow the front panel buttons to be used to navigate menus.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

thanks again for the help, I'm still keeping it:-)
mk
post #11 of 11 Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Bob

Why didn't I think of this earlier... I just picked up a Sony portable BluRay player with HDMI output. Being portable it has all the controls on the unit itself. Now the new Oppo can stay right where it is in the equipment rack and the portable Sony can be for testing and can even have a dual purpose... travel, like it's designed for. Anyway, now it's irrelevant that the Oppo can't do it. I really like the Oppo btw, they live up to all the hype! Great player!

thanks again for all your help
Monte
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page