Differences in quality of the same video data from different sources - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: If the original video data is 1080p at the exact same compression, which is superior quality?
Superior quality is via Blu-Ray player 1 100.00%
Superior quality is via USB/Media Player 0 0%
Superior quality is via Streaming (Netflix etc) 0 0%
Blu-Ray = USB/Media player 0 0%
Blu-Ray = Streaming 0 0%
Streaming = USB/Media player 0 0%
All are equal 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-02-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This may be a very fundamental question, but the answer isn't clear to me despite my reading.

What (if ANY) difference is there in the picture quality between different players/sources, if the resolution for each of them is 1080p?
(For discussion, let's assume we are talking about the quality when played on the exact same high-quality HD plasma TV (e.g. Viera P50ST60 50" plasma)

1. With BD players: To simplify, let's say the exact same blu-ray disc is played in different players, and therefore the data is exactly the same, what (if ANY) difference is there in picture quality between BD players?
Or is it simply differences in GUI, load and processing time, number/type of ports (USB inputs, multiple HDMI outputs, optical audio, etc), options like motion blur reduction etc, 3D capabilities, or other non-picture-quality factors?

2. In the same vein, what (if ANY) is the difference between the same 1080p movie being played on a blu-ray disc VS. being streamed from Amazon/Netflix (via high-speed internet in 1080p) VS being played from a USB drive on a Roku or PBX?
I had in mind for some reason that BD was the highest quality, but when I started reading more, I realized I have no idea why I thought so. Is it just the degree of compression of the video, or is there more to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 387
BD has the least compression than Netflix,Amazon ,cable or Sat . The BD player quality has something to do with the final result. I have a PC with a Dedicated HDMI Vid card and a PS3 they both hold their own
They are about as good as your going to get on BR . The Panasonic,Pioneer,Sony and Oppo Bd players seem to be well liked also.
A cheaper BD player maybe an off brand ( or no WiFi bottom model) may often have inferior video processing/playback and DVD upscale (crappy chips ) decent ones can be had for approx $100.00-$150.00 + new .Of course the decent 3D BD players are going to be more PlayStation 3 supports 3D as of September 2010
PS3 is as good or better than anything out there streams WiFi Netflix and Amazon as well. Good poll.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Tags
Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv