Stick with the PS3 as Blu-Ray Player or Get a "dedicated" Blu-Ray Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All, it has been a while since I have been on the forums so please forgive me if this has been covered recently. I am in the process of upgrading my home theater and just purchased the Pioneer SC-71. I currently have a PS3 that I ONLY use as a Blu-Ray player. I bought it years ago, the Blu-Ray picture quality is still fantastic, but as everyone knows it decodes the HD DTS and True HD audio and just sends it to the receiver as PCM (I do not know if the new PS3 players still do this or not). I remember when the PS3s first came out everyone jumped on the bandwagon and said that the audio being decoded at the PS3 will actually sound better than if it was decoded at the receiver. Of course this was still during the HD DVD battle etc so PS3s could do nothing wrong if you sided with Blu-Ray. So my question is, is the audio still better if it is decoded at the PS3 or should I get a new Blu-Ray player that will just send the audio to the SC-71 to decode? If I should go with a "dedicated" Blu-ray player, what would some suggestions be? I am not concerned with wireless, or 3D, just top notch picture and sound. I have about 300 bucks left in my budget for a price range. Any ideas/thoughts/experience/feedback is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Schultz View Post

Hi All, it has been a while since I have been on the forums so please forgive me if this has been covered recently. I am in the process of upgrading my home theater and just purchased the Pioneer SC-71. I currently have a PS3 that I ONLY use as a Blu-Ray player. I bought it years ago, the Blu-Ray picture quality is still fantastic, but as everyone knows it decodes the HD DTS and True HD audio and just sends it to the receiver as PCM (I do not know if the new PS3 players still do this or not). I remember when the PS3s first came out everyone jumped on the bandwagon and said that the audio being decoded at the PS3 will actually sound better than if it was decoded at the receiver. Of course this was still during the HD DVD battle etc so PS3s could do nothing wrong if you sided with Blu-Ray. So my question is, is the audio still better if it is decoded at the PS3 or should I get a new Blu-Ray player that will just send the audio to the SC-71 to decode? If I should go with a "dedicated" Blu-ray player, what would some suggestions be? I am not concerned with wireless, or 3D, just top notch picture and sound. I have about 300 bucks left in my budget for a price range. Any ideas/thoughts/experience/feedback is greatly appreciated.

you could just get a slim or super-slim PS3 which does bitstream DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD to your receiver (and DTS-HD HR and Dolby Digital Plus for that matter)

If you can still get your hands on a slim PS3, I would recommend it over a super-slim as the former retains the slot loading drive from the fat PS3 while the latter does not and uses a design closer to the slim PS2, but with a crappy sliding plastic door to cover the drive
Old 07-09-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 784
We have, I guess, a "fat" PS3 (bought it 3 or 4 years ago) with the glossy rounded top. My impression was that Sony would keep this product updated as it's their flagship player. Can they not upgrade via software the audio out to send these various bitstreams to the receiver?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I am pretty sure the firmware did update and allow bitstream output. All of the PS3 models should function the same in that regard.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

the fat ps3s can't bitstream BD audio, just DD and DTS

the slim and super slim add the following:

BRAVIA Sync XMB control (CEC)

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio bitstreaming[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Model_comparison
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I plan to keep my phat PS3 until it dies.

Output of PCM to the AVR is no different than bitstreaming. There might be some post processing in the AVR and maybe an extra light or 2 as well.

I see no reason to spend mounds of cash for a new one (slim, super slim or PS4) if the current one is still trucking. This leaves more cash for other upgrades....

Seggers

(Post 2001)

Mits 73835, Denon X4000, Emotiva UPA5 (triggered), Wharfedale Pacific Evo 40s, CS, 10s, the internet, a NAS drive, a TiVo Series 3 and an Oppo 103 (bye bye PS3). There's also a Wii, but we don't talk about that...
Old 07-11-2013, 03:03 PM

I didn't even know this. I have a fat ps3 from 2006 and a slim version I purchased in 2011. The 2011 one is in my bedroom (just connected to the tv) because I thought the systems (playing movies) would be identical. The 2006 one is connected to my home theater system. So if I switch them out, I should get better sound when connecting to my home theater system?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhayden View Post

I didn't even know this. I have a fat ps3 from 2006 and a slim version I purchased in 2011. The 2011 one is in my bedroom (just connected to the tv) because I thought the systems (playing movies) would be identical. The 2006 one is connected to my home theater system. So if I switch them out, I should get better sound when connecting to my home theater system?

whether sending lossless BD audio like Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA (or semi-lossy high res BD audio like Dolby Digital Plus or DTS HD HR) in bitstream mode directly to your AVR (provided it supports these formats and doesn't downgrade them to regular, lossy Dolby Digital or DTS) provides better audio quality than sending uncompressed Linear PCM to the AVR (after decoding it internally in the PS3) is debatable...

it really comes down to how your AVR handles the two formats types (Bitstream vs. Linear PCM) and whether you like being able to see the format name on your receiver's front panel
tripleM likes this.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

whether sending lossless BD audio like Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA (or semi-lossy high res BD audio like Dolby Digital Plus or DTS HD HR) in bitstream mode directly to your AVR (provided it supports these formats and doesn't downgrade them to regular, lossy Dolby Digital or DTS) provides better audio quality than sending uncompressed Linear PCM to the AVR (after decoding it internally in the PS3) is debatable...

it really comes down to how your AVR handles the two formats types (Bitstream vs. Linear PCM) and whether you like being able to see the format name on your receiver's front panel

It's probably not very common, but my particular receiver, from about 5 years ago (Sony 5300ES), has issues with LFE and bass management of PCM signals. The LFE/sub channel is 3dB off when using PCM, verified by switching between bitstream and PCM on Avia LFE/sub tones.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Mike -

I currently have two PS3s as well as a couple of standalone Blu-ray Disc (BD) players. If all you are really using the PS3 for is playing blu-rays then I suggest that a modern standalone BD player is a better choice when considering a new unit. The current generation of Sony and Panasonic BD players load and begin to play discs as fast, or perhaps even a little faster, than the PS3 and if you have a universal remote (e.g., Harmony, etc.) the standalone players are more easily accommodated. Overall image quality from BD playback is equivalent to the PS3 and some standalone BD players offer better upscaling of DVDs (especially true if using the Oppo BD players (but Oppo players cost about $500 and up).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 07-12-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Don't waste your money, keep the PS3, it does everything a standalone player will do and better. To this day I have not had one bluray movie that did not play in my PS3. Standalone players can be a little buggy with certain movies, don't know why. Bluray picture will be the same with other players, upscaling DVD' s some are better than others and load times, well PS3 is pretty decent. If anything, I would say save more money and get the PS4 when it comes out but since you are not interested in gaming, 4k, no point.
seggers likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Old 07-13-2013, 12:20 PM

BR players are cheap enough to buy , so I would go that route . The last thing you wanna do is wear your ps3 drive out it cost to much to fix , trust me on this
Old 07-13-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 52
If you have an older phat PS3, another thing worth considering is fan noise. My 40GB PS3 sounded like a jet engine as my house got warmer, especially when upscaling regular DVDs. The Slims are MUCH quiter. But I've never heard of a standalone BD player being excessively noisy when operating normally. As much as I love my PS3 (I play games on it every day), I actually just bought a Sony BDP - 3100 for $89.99 today as my new bedroom BD player.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all of the feedback!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:00 AM

Just curious if there are any advantages in load times with the newer blu ray player vs the PS3? I don't mind the bit-stream with my older PS3, but the load times are killing me.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:27 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Don't waste your money, keep the PS3, it does everything a standalone player will do and better. To this day I have not had one bluray movie that did not play in my PS3. Standalone players can be a little buggy with certain movies, don't know why. Bluray picture will be the same with other players, upscaling DVD' s some are better than others and load times, well PS3 is pretty decent. If anything, I would say save more money and get the PS4 when it comes out but since you are not interested in gaming, 4k, no point.

I would say go for a PS4 too. http://www.slashgear.com/sony-promises-exclusive-content-and-programming-for-ps4-and-psn-10285909/

Tiger Direct has them up for pre-order!
Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
PS3 with Logitech Harmony adapter, nongamer, love it, BD, Vudu-UV, Netflix, Amazon Prime. The Cell processor really shines, A1UDCI takes care of the SACD/DVD-Audio collection.
I am a very happy PS3 nongamer. Oh well, you should see my PC IL-2 flight simulator seat with 12 port USB HOTAS, TrackIR, USB headset/soundcard and mapholder.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 484
But for the price of the Logitech adapter alone, you can get an entire player that does all the same things and is faster, smaller, quieter, cooler and uses much less power. A non-gamer buying a PS3 for media is like someone who doesn't drive buying a car just to listen to the radio.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:59 AM

Liked: 13
I'm a non gamer that has a PS3, and I can tell you that my recently purchased "cheapo" Sony BDP S1100 has better video performance than my PS3. I bought it mostly to play music from my external HD and to play CD's (didnt want to wear out the drive on the ps3), perfectly happy with the decision on purchasing a separate player

Think before you speak....
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 AM

If all you are really using the PS3 for is playing blu-rays then I suggest that a modern standalone BD player is a better choice when considering a new unit.Wv7Zusmile.gif
Old 09-10-2013, 08:53 AM

Wow,whether sending lossless BD audio like Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA (or semi-lossy high res BD audio like Dolby Digital Plus or DTS HD HR) in bitstream mode directly to your AVR (provided it supports these formats and doesn't downgrade them to regular, lossy Dolby Digital or DTS) provides better audio quality than sending uncompressed Linear PCM to the AVR (after decoding it internally in the PS3) is debatable.

Tags
Playstation 3 160gb System , Playstation 3 320gb System , Playstation 3 80gb System , Pioneer Sc Lx71