Sony BDP-S590 Web browser now shows pages stretched and off-screen to the left - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I love the speed and connectivity of this Blu-ray player I bought late 2012 over the Smart Hub connectivity issues and failure of the smart hub on my Samsung Blu-ray home theater system from mid-2011, which I can no longer get to start up. It also has a Web browser which the 2011 Samsung Smart Hub devices did not. However, in the past month or so I've noticed the screen is now displaying pages in the Web browsers as stretched horizontally and off-center to the left, so the left side is obscured. I never changed any settings and it was displaying pages correctly for a while. I tried fiddling with the browser's zoom control and different settings on the player's menu but to no avail. I can't seem to find anyone else with this issue. Any clues or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Have you tried doing a "soft reset"? By this I mean unplug the player from the wall and let it sit for a few minutes. Then plug it in again. The "Power off" buttons on the player and remote just put the player into a "standby" state with many circuits still powered on. They don't actually turn it off.

If a "soft reset" doesn't work, the next thing to try is a "factory reset". Instructions for doing that are in the manual, and are in the player's menu.

Selden
post #3 of 4 Old 07-10-2013, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, thanks for the response. It's not that I didn't think of that but I just thought if it was something that needed a soft or factory reset it would seem strange that the only thing that would be affected would be something so specific and minor as the Web page displays on the browser, when all the other apps and categories work fine. For instance, with my Samsung it is more blatant, like the Smart Hub (the entire screen to choose the apps) not even loading at all. That has required a factory reset but it happens so often now that there's no way I am going to do a factory reset and have to reconfigure all my settings every time, so I'm thinking of seeing if they'll send me a later or refurbished model as it is still under warranty.

It's a good suggestion though and I will try it next time I have access to this Sony unit on Sunday (it is in a vacation rental that is currently occupied) and will post the results. If there's anything else anyone can think of in the mean time or anyone else that has experienced this let me know
post #4 of 4 Old 07-15-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: I unplugged the unit for a while yesterday and plugged it back in and tested all functions and several websites. Everything is working fine on all the apps, settings & screens for the most part. However the Web browser is still rendering some sites off center to the left, while others are fine. My own site I built and Apple's website both have a lot of extra space (browser background or "margin") on the right with the center of the sites (the actual page itself) taking up the left half of the screen. None of the left browser background/margin shows at all. Then, when I use the zoom control on these sites to zoom in, the right browser margin grows bigger and bigger taking up more space pushing the center of the site (page) further left and off the screen. At no point does the left browser margin ever show. One thing that does seem to be corrected is the horizontal "stretching" I had noticed before, but it's been a while so I can't remember exactly when that occurred.

Since other sites like Amazon, Google and YouTube render correctly it seems to me that maybe with one of their automatic firmware updates after I bought it something was changed in the Web browser app so that it is reading or interpreting the code on some sites incorrectly, because as I said it didn't have this issue the first few months I had it, only the last couple months or so. With it only affecting certain sites and everything else working fine, I doubt a factory reset would help. Do you think it would? A factory reset won't restore it to the original firmware version from when I bought it in December, would it? If not it seems unlikely to help, though I could always try it as a last resort.

I appreciate your feedback, thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page