My Oppo 103 Freezes - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 AM - Thread Starter
era

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've only had it three days, and I'll keep it because of the spectacular video.
But switching between dvd and cable (HDMI 1 on rear) causes it to freeze and require power down/up reboot.
Also, if I turn the TV on before turning on the Oppo, nothing is displayed on the TV. (Samsung 55" led). Apparently the TV must be on first, then turn on the Oppo, or the HDMI connection fails.
I don't have a problem with these minor annoyances, but it's going to be pretty hard to get my family to learn these little kinks. Particularly because when you power down the oppo it comes back on in the default DVD mode and you have to change inputs to get the cable signal. Plus, you can't edit the name of HDMI 1 Rear to something they'll understand like Cable.
Oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-14-2013, 04:37 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by era View Post

But switching between dvd and cable (HDMI 1 on rear) causes it to freeze and require power down/up reboot.
Also, if I turn the TV on before turning on the Oppo, nothing is displayed on the TV. (Samsung 55" led). Apparently the TV must be on first, then turn on the Oppo, or the HDMI connection fails.
I don't have a problem with these minor annoyances, but it's going to be pretty hard to get my family to learn these little kinks. Particularly because when you power down the oppo it comes back on in the default DVD mode and you have to change inputs to get the cable signal. Plus, you can't edit the name of HDMI 1 Rear to something they'll understand like Cable.
Oh well.

Get rid of it, the 103 is a problem plagued machine. Get a Sony S5100 and you will have the same picture quality. Even Chris H. of theater HiFi says the S5100 is the best 2013 Blu Ray player.
If you want 2 HDMIs then get the Sony S790 at half the price. I have never seen such an over hyped blu ray player as the Oppo 103. What HiFi gave it 3 stars out of 5 saying that the picture quality is NOT better than the cheaper priced Blu ray players. What HIFI gave the Sony S790 and S5100 at 5 out of 5 star rating.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-14-2013, 04:39 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:

Oh well.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-blu-ray-player/

The above is the article.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-14-2013, 05:12 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:

Oh well.

Please post this to the owner's thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1432162/official-oppo-bdp-103-owners-thread

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #5 of 6 Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
era

Liked: 10
Getting rid of it is not an option. Among (many) other things, the Oppo offers an HDMI In connection, so you can take advantage of its video processing for other sources, such as cable and Roku and so on...
post #6 of 6 Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 86
selling it because of little glitches that can be corrected, is not an answer. Oppo has a excellent track record in CS. I bet you can't call Sony and speak with an engineer, who probably helped make the thing. Between Oppo and the avs forum, I have seen every little problem corrected. the 103 is not filled with problems. Plus, any issue found is addressed immediatly by Oppo. Try that with a Sony, then try to listen to a sacd or dvd audio with a Sony. Not cutting any brand, but again not fair to offer such a neg. response either.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Sony Bdp S5100 3d Blu Ray Disc Player With Wi Fi , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread - S790 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page