Sony BDP-SX910 9" Portable Blu-ray Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 07-18-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've owned this since January and it's still going strong when searching for portable Blu-ray players. I never owned a Panasonic portable Blu-ray player, but I also own a discontinued Philips PB9001/37 portable Blu-ray player. Like the Philips, the Sony has orangy, undersaturated reds, greenish whites, and an OK contrast ratio for the type of device we're dealing with here. The Sony has outstanding sound from its internal speakers! One thing I like is how the screen swivels a full 180 so I can either fold it back like a tablet or aim the screen outward as though I'm showing other people movies while wplaying tech crew and working the controls. Its HDMI options are very nice for a portable!

Now for my issues. After purchasing a service manual, it appears to use a MediaTek MT8551/8560? System-on-Chip solution. Even though it uses such an SoC, it can't play Pal DVDs whether they have region encryption on them or not. I know how to use IfoEdit to make copies that have no region encryption and that make the player think it's playing an NTSC DVD. However, using IfoEdit to make copies of all my Pal DVDs is a difficult procedure. Is there anything in the service menu I can change at least to allow Pal playback? If not via the service menu, is there any remote hack I can do to change the region and/or acceptance of a DVD's Pal video system? Is there a solderless hardware procedure I can do?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Philips Pb9001 37 9 Inch 1080p Portable Blu Ray Dvd Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page