Sharp BD-AMS20U - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-27-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone got one? If so are they any good? I can find only a Amazon user review and this http://hometheaterreview.com/sharp-bd-ams20u-blu-ray-player-reviewed/

The home theater reviewer gave it a average review. The reason why I'm interested in this player is because I have a Sharp Aquos tv and they are supposed to work well together in terms of picture quality, or it could be just some lame marketing thing?? All I want it for is playing blu-rays and not so much the web features.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 220
There is no advantage in having a matching TV and BD player in terms of picture quality. There are better players out there. If you are looking for a new Blu-ray player, please ask in the Help Me Choose a Player thread. Just use the Post a reply button

http://www.avsforum.com/t/959985/official-help-me-choose-a-player-thread-cant-decide-start-here

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 08-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a new Sharp BD-AMS20U Blu-ray player that will not output audio via HDMI to a Harman Kardon AVR254. Harmon unit has been fine, just replaced a Samsung Blu-ray unit that was performing correctly. Swapped units, same HDMI cable. Cycled power on all devices multiple times.

All settings on the Sharp are correct, output to HDMI via PCM with secondary audio off.

The puzzling issue is that there is sound if the Sharp BD is plugged in directly to the new Dynex DX-60D260A13 tv via HDMI.

All other devices plugged into the HK via HDMI work fine. Changing inputs and cables has no effect. HK shows "NO AUDIO" for the Sharp at all. Could this be an issue with the Sharp using the HDMI 1.4 protocol while the HK uses 1.3a?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 220
You might also try asking in the Hk thread for your receiver in the receiver forum to see if anyone else has had a similar issue.

S~
Rob Levinson likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Old 10-10-2013, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just posting an update for anyone else who has this model (or is considering one). Never could get the HDMI incompatibility issue sorted out. Industry professionals I spoke with, after listening to my troubleshooting path, remained as mystified as I am. The solution that I came up with works perfectly (although the "why" of the problem is still frustrating); I ran an optical audio cable from the Sharp BD to the HK AVR. The HK lets the user choose between different input paths, so for the BD, HDMI does video and the optical cable handles audio.

With all that solved and out of the way, my long-term impression of this machine is less than favorable. It has crashed on me a few times, stuck at "BYE", requiring a hard power disconnect to reboot the machine. Start-up time is slow, laser servo is loudish, and the "media center" aspect of it is almost worthless as the list of compatible file formats and file systems is rudimentary (my high quality video rips on an EXT4 format drive are inaccessible). Except for the fact that I picked this machine up for pocket change (and got a highest bid of $55 on ebay, even NIB), I would be very dissatisfied. As it sits, it's a functional basic BD in the living room... at that basic task, it will do unto something better comes along.

Speaking of better, my older NAD T557 is still remarkably better than this Sharp BD-AMS20U. The NAD starts a disc quickly and quietly, never crashes, never gives any compatibility issues, and excels at the one thing that most BD players fail at - it ejects a disc almost immediately. That most BD players have to consult with some internal permission system, cycle through a few thousand program cycles, get the disc to slow down, and then finally, painfully, open the tray is something that has always peeved me. The NAD just spits it right out, no muss, no fuss. You get what you pay for.

Tags
Sharp 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Bd Ams20u , Sharp Blu Ray Disc Player Bd Ams20u