One-and-Only PS4 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 17Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #271 of 299 Old 04-07-2015, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #272 of 299 Old 04-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Member
 
azz7686's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mansfield, Ohio
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
I see no issue with using a power cord!! No different than you have just longer so go for it.

2-RTi-10's 1-CSi5 2-TSi400 6-r150's 1-Velodyne DPS-12
Yamaha RX-A3030 and Emotiva XPA-200
Samsung UN65F7100
azz7686 is offline  
post #273 of 299 Old 04-07-2015, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Actually, I got lucky... turns out the original cord is just long enough.

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #274 of 299 Old 04-08-2015, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
Sonyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Saint Louis. MO
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post
So, Sony still hasn't made an official Blu-Ray remote for the PS4? All I can say is WOW, that is simply ridiculous!! As great as the PS4 is with games, it is a definite let down in terms of a media device. Not that I care, I have dedicated Blu-Ray players, but I can see how some people would be frustrated.
I find it stunning as well that sony hasn't released an official media remote. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but using the dualshock is not the greatest setup. I'm also surprised how crappy the third party options have been regarding this. If someone would step up and make a quality third party media remote they would sell like hotcakes!! It definitely seems media was way down on the priority list when the ps4 launched. Having said that, I still love my PS4!
Archaea likes this.
Sonyboy is offline  
post #275 of 299 Old 04-08-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SED <--- Rules View Post
So, Sony still hasn't made an official Blu-Ray remote for the PS4? All I can say is WOW, that is simply ridiculous!! As great as the PS4 is with games, it is a definite let down in terms of a media device. Not that I care, I have dedicated Blu-Ray players, but I can see how some people would be frustrated.
I find it stunning as well that sony hasn't released an official media remote. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but using the dualshock is not the greatest setup. I'm also surprised how crappy the third party options have been regarding this. If someone would step up and make a quality third party media remote they would sell like hotcakes!! It definitely seems media was way down on the priority list when the ps4 launched. Having said that, I still love my PS4!
I agree, Sony should make one or at least make it easier for third parties to make them. And if not that, at least make the ps3 remote compatible.

I don't think Insignia or Nyko are at fault... I think Sony has not allowed the OS to support remotes yet and third parties are using loopholes to make things work somewhat. For example, the Insignia remote was recognized as an external keyboard by the PS4. System update 2.50 killed it's functionality for BDs but Netflix still worked. I returned mine since using it for Netflix alone wasn't worth $20 to me.
Sonyboy likes this.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #276 of 299 Old 04-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Can we expect any improvements overall in terms of using the PS4 as BD player vs. the PS3? If so, what kinds of improvements?

I've noticed that the PS3 had a 2xCAV speed for BD while the PS4 has a 6xCAV speed. I'm also aware the PS4 interface is quite different from the PS3's XMB.
Hi, I've seen you throughout the forums and your posts seem to be very informative to the community. I have a Samsung LED TV and trying to calibrate it as close to the Rec. 709 standards as possible.
I have three picture mode settings: dynamic, movie, and standard.
Three color temperature settings: Cool, Standard, Warm.
As far as I know, these are mainly what I need to get me close to the standard. So which picture mode and color temp should I use?
OrganicOrange is offline  
post #277 of 299 Old 04-11-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicOrange View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Can we expect any improvements overall in terms of using the PS4 as BD player vs. the PS3? If so, what kinds of improvements?

I've noticed that the PS3 had a 2xCAV speed for BD while the PS4 has a 6xCAV speed. I'm also aware the PS4 interface is quite different from the PS3's XMB.
Hi, I've seen you throughout the forums and your posts seem to be very informative to the community. I have a Samsung LED TV and trying to calibrate it as close to the Rec. 709 standards as possible.
I have three picture mode settings: dynamic, movie, and standard.
Three color temperature settings: Cool, Standard, Warm.
As far as I know, these are mainly what I need to get me close to the standard. So which picture mode and color temp should I use?
Movie and Warm is the best starting point.

(Though you might be able to use Standard and Warm as a second calibrated mode once you turn off all enhancements and set all parameters like Movie mode.)
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #278 of 299 Old 04-11-2015, 10:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Movie and Warm is the best starting point.

(Though you might be able to use Standard and Warm as a second calibrated mode once you turn off all enhancements and set all parameters like Movie mode.)
Thanks but doesn't Standard mode get you further away from 2.2 Gamma and 6500K?
OrganicOrange is offline  
post #279 of 299 Old 04-11-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicOrange View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Movie and Warm is the best starting point.

(Though you might be able to use Standard and Warm as a second calibrated mode once you turn off all enhancements and set all parameters like Movie mode.)
Thanks but doesn't Standard mode get you further away from 2.2 Gamma and 6500K?
Once set up properly, it should match movie mode or at least come close. However, you should use movie as your first choice.
OrganicOrange likes this.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #280 of 299 Old 04-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Once set up properly, it should match movie mode or at least come close. However, you should use movie as your first choice.
Thanks, I've turned off all unnecessary effects and set the basic settings using AVS HD. 709 but it doesn't look the same as Movie. On Movie, the color's look muted and bland. Both are using warm color temperature
Spoiler!
OrganicOrange is offline  
post #281 of 299 Old 04-12-2015, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Check the color space setting under advanced picture settings. It should be set to auto on both, not native.
OrganicOrange likes this.

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 04-12-2015 at 07:25 AM.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #282 of 299 Old 04-12-2015, 08:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Check the color space setting under advanced picture settings. It should be set to auto on both, not native.
My Samsung doesn't have the option for advanced settnigs such as dynamic contrast, black tone, flesh tone, rgb only mode, color space, and white balance.
OrganicOrange is offline  
post #283 of 299 Old 04-12-2015, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
In that case, movie mode has more accurate color (closer to rec. 709 gamut) but if you subjectively prefer standard mode's color you could use it.
OrganicOrange likes this.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #284 of 299 Old 04-12-2015, 09:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
In that case, movie mode has more accurate color (closer to rec. 709 gamut) but if you subjectively prefer standard mode's color you could use it.
Thank you so much for all your help. One more question, since movie mode already adds a yellowish tone to the picture even when you're just using standard color temperature, should you use movie and standard or movie and warm to get me closest to Rec. 709?
OrganicOrange is offline  
post #285 of 299 Old 04-12-2015, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicOrange View Post
Thank you so much for all your help. One more question, since movie mode already adds a yellowish tone to the picture even when you're just using standard color temperature, should you use movie and standard or movie and warm to get me closest to Rec. 709?
warm is closer to D65 than standard but might be on the red/yellow/orange side of D65 whereas as standard will be on the blue side (though off by more)

without a meter and calibration software I'd pick the color temp preset that looks most like neutral white/gray

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #286 of 299 Old 04-13-2015, 05:30 PM
Member
 
Kevilz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I just sold my PS3. I was thinking to get a 4k support Blu Ray player. Did Sony improve ps4 blu ray quality. i heard it support 4K now. can any one answer this question. Thx
Kevilz is offline  
post #287 of 299 Old 04-25-2015, 04:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Just upgraded from a 7yr old Samsung LCD to a Samsung 4K LED. It looks incredible to the point that I've found myself binge watching most of my blu rays over again.

Question is which console should I use for blu ray viewing? I own both a PS4 and PS3. And I'm asking from the view of picture and audio quality. I know the PS3 had a TON of audio options but since the PS4 does full lossless Linear PCM, is it really a big deal loosing out on those options on the PS3?

Have there been any recent side by side PS3/PS4 playback comparisons by any of the tech or av review sites?
drewberg11 is offline  
post #288 of 299 Old 04-26-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewberg11 View Post
Just upgraded from a 7yr old Samsung LCD to a Samsung 4K LED. It looks incredible to the point that I've found myself binge watching most of my blu rays over again.

Question is which console should I use for blu ray viewing? I own both a PS4 and PS3. And I'm asking from the view of picture and audio quality. I know the PS3 had a TON of audio options but since the PS4 does full lossless Linear PCM, is it really a big deal loosing out on those options on the PS3?

Have there been any recent side by side PS3/PS4 playback comparisons by any of the tech or av review sites?
You can play BD movies with either linear pcm or bitstream direct, both are lossless as long as the movie has a lossless soundtrack.

Picture quality is top notch on both consoles. Main drawback of the ps4 is no official bd remote support. Some claim more settings makes the ps3 better but the ps4 has all needed settings and in a simple format that is better imo.

I don't know if the ps4 currently supports 4k output.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #289 of 299 Old 04-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewberg11 View Post
Just upgraded from a 7yr old Samsung LCD to a Samsung 4K LED. It looks incredible to the point that I've found myself binge watching most of my blu rays over again.

Question is which console should I use for blu ray viewing? I own both a PS4 and PS3. And I'm asking from the view of picture and audio quality. I know the PS3 had a TON of audio options but since the PS4 does full lossless Linear PCM, is it really a big deal loosing out on those options on the PS3?

Have there been any recent side by side PS3/PS4 playback comparisons by any of the tech or av review sites?
You can play BD movies with either linear pcm or bitstream direct, both are lossless as long as the movie has a lossless soundtrack.

Picture quality is top notch on both consoles. Main drawback of the ps4 is no official bd remote support. Some claim more settings makes the ps3 better but the ps4 has all needed settings and in a simple format that is better imo.

I don't know if the ps4 currently supports 4k output.
Oh nice thank you. I didn't know bitstream was lossless. The no remote isn't a big deal, Anynet controls the PS4 perfectly, can even access the audio and picture quality options within the BD playback.
drewberg11 is offline  
post #290 of 299 Old 04-26-2015, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewberg11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewberg11 View Post
Just upgraded from a 7yr old Samsung LCD to a Samsung 4K LED. It looks incredible to the point that I've found myself binge watching most of my blu rays over again.

Question is which console should I use for blu ray viewing? I own both a PS4 and PS3. And I'm asking from the view of picture and audio quality. I know the PS3 had a TON of audio options but since the PS4 does full lossless Linear PCM, is it really a big deal loosing out on those options on the PS3?

Have there been any recent side by side PS3/PS4 playback comparisons by any of the tech or av review sites?
You can play BD movies with either linear pcm or bitstream direct, both are lossless as long as the movie has a lossless soundtrack.

Picture quality is top notch on both consoles. Main drawback of the ps4 is no official bd remote support. Some claim more settings makes the ps3 better but the ps4 has all needed settings and in a simple format that is better imo.

I don't know if the ps4 currently supports 4k output.
Oh nice thank you. I didn't know bitstream was lossless. The no remote isn't a big deal, Anynet controls the PS4 perfectly, can even access the audio and picture quality options within the BD playback.
You have to set audio format to bitstream direct while playing a bd movie. You can't do it in the main settings menu under sound and screen.

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 04-26-2015 at 10:53 AM.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #291 of 299 Old 05-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Myron_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevilz View Post
I just sold my PS3. I was thinking to get a 4k support Blu Ray player. Did Sony improve ps4 blu ray quality. i heard it support 4K now. can any one answer this question. Thx
No 4K playback at all currently.
Myron_H is offline  
post #292 of 299 Old 05-09-2015, 08:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey Plasma.
Can you post a screenshot of your Rec 709 calibrated tv on the PS4 home screen? I'm getting different kinds of blue and I would like to see the proper color.
OrganicOrange is offline  
post #293 of 299 Old 05-09-2015, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicOrange View Post
Hey Plasma.
Can you post a screenshot of your Rec 709 calibrated tv on the PS4 home screen? I'm getting different kinds of blue and I would like to see the proper color.
I think taking a picture of a blue full field test pattern from a calibration bd disc on the ps4 would be more useful

(Of course, pics of the TV screen are not reliable anyways.)
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #294 of 299 Old 05-09-2015, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,964
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Though here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150509_120807_1431188126003.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	708154   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150509_120844_1431188146806.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	708162   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150509_120918_1431188168536.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	708170  
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #295 of 299 Unread Today, 01:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello all! New here to this forum. I have been looking to get a great #D Blu Ray player. Was going to go with the OPPO 103d but then I read that the PS4 now supports 3D. My question is how good is the 3D content on the PS4? I love the idea of having the video games and the Blu Ray/3D player in one for the same price as the OPPO. What would you do? I am putting it in my dedicated home theater with a Denon x4000 receiver and Sony VPL-40es projector. I just want the best quality blu ray and if the quality on the PS4 is just as good as any other BD player, I am in on the PS4. If you rec. a stand alone BD player, which one would you get? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stew24 is online now  
post #296 of 299 Unread Today, 01:57 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
#D = 3D lol
azz7686 likes this.
Stew24 is online now  
post #297 of 299 Unread Today, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,043
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew24 View Post
Hello all! New here to this forum. I have been looking to get a great #D Blu Ray player. Was going to go with the OPPO 103d but then I read that the PS4 now supports 3D. My question is how good is the 3D content on the PS4? I love the idea of having the video games and the Blu Ray/3D player in one for the same price as the OPPO. What would you do? I am putting it in my dedicated home theater with a Denon x4000 receiver and Sony VPL-40es projector. I just want the best quality blu ray and if the quality on the PS4 is just as good as any other BD player, I am in on the PS4. If you rec. a stand alone BD player, which one would you get? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unless you want to control your PS4 with a controller or a sketchy remote, stick with a standalone player.

Looky here!
robnix is online now  
post #298 of 299 Unread Today, 11:04 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Unless you want to control your PS4 with a controller or a sketchy remote, stick with a standalone player.
so a harmony remote wont work? Works with my PS3. Im obviously missing something. Such a Newb I am!
Stew24 is online now  
post #299 of 299 Unread Today, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
robnix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,043
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew24 View Post
so a harmony remote wont work? Works with my PS3. Im obviously missing something. Such a Newb I am!
no, Sony has not been a good neighbor with the PS4.

Looky here!
robnix is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 4 Console



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off