One-and-Only PS4 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
post #301 of 324 Old 06-28-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Everything looks good with spears and munsil, not sure why they hide audio settings in two different places. Once I got into options while the disc was in and turned NR off and bitstream on, all was good.

With apps like Netflix and Amazon I get RGB 444, and the Blu-rays are ycbcr 444. I set RGB to Limited as well and Deep Color off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 324 Old 06-28-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1322 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
no, Sony has not been a good neighbor with the PS4.
Actually Harmony very recently started working with the PS4, at least the newer hub based remotes. You should also be able to do limited control from any remote using CEC (Bravia Sync).
post #303 of 324 Old 06-28-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Even though I dont care for it, I'll use the controller until my current Harmony dies. Also wish they would enable Vudu downloads and run apps in ycbcr instead of RGB, but at least everything in my chain handles RGB OK.
post #304 of 324 Old 06-29-2015, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Been following this thread for too long so I cant remember if it was covered. But what is the difference between setting primary audio output on the PS4 to optical vs HDMI? I have my PS4 hooked up to a new Vizio soundbar via both. But I also use a headset that is connected directly to PS4 via optical, the headset transmitter has an optical pass thru that I use to connect to soundbar.

I seem to recall the PS3 allowing me to choose both outputs (HDMI, optical) as "primary". But the way I am interpreting the PS4 option is: Choose one for the best audio output and we will send it there...the one you dont choose we will send ... less quality audio?? Am I reading this correctly?

TV: Panasonic TC-P55ST50
BluRay: Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Audio: Sony HT-CT100 (Currently testing Vizio SB4051)
Gaming: PS4
PSN: Rican21
post #305 of 324 Old 06-29-2015, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Actually Harmony very recently started working with the PS4, at least the newer hub based remotes. You should also be able to do limited control from any remote using CEC (Bravia Sync).
The WAF for CEC is not there because not all apps can be controlled with it. The Harmony update would be great IF it powered the PS4 on, and IF it managed to reconnect to the PS4 every time you used it. Same issue with the Wii U. The BT pairing fails regularly requiring a resync.

Looky here!
post #306 of 324 Old 06-29-2015, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorRican View Post

But what is the difference between setting primary audio output on the PS4 to optical vs HDMI?

Hmm. Interesting question. Honestly, I don't know because I've never had cause to use the S/PDIF output. I would be curious to know the answer as well, if anyone out there has tested it.

My hunch - just a hunch now - is that selecting S/PDIF as the primary will limit the HDMI output to PCM 2.0 and lossy bitstream. Selecting HDMI as the primary will limit S/PDIF to a PCM 2.0 down mix.

How this would affect direct bitstream for BD, I wouldn't venture a guess...that whole thing about it being in a separate menu and all.

[UPDATE: I looked into this a bit last night. It appears setting priority to S/PDIF limits HDMI to a PCM 2.0 down mix, including BD.]
GatorRican likes this.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

Last edited by home_theatre_man; 07-02-2015 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Update Information
post #307 of 324 Old 06-30-2015, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post
Hmm. Interesting question. Honestly, I don't know because I've never had cause the use the S/PDIF output. I would be curious to know the answer as well, if anyone out there has tested it.

My hunch - just a hunch now - is that selecting S/PDIF as the primary will limit the HDMI output to PCM 2.0 and lossy bitstream. Selecting HDMI as the primary will limit S/PDIF to a PCM 2.0 down mix.

How this would affect direct bitstream for BD, I wouldn't venture a guess...that whole thing about it being in a separate menu and all.

[UPDATE: I looked into this a bit last night. It appears setting priority to S/PDIF limits HDMI to a PCM 2.0 down mix, including BD.]
Thanks for looking into this. If I recall correctly the PS3 allowed both S/PDIF and HDMI to output audio simultaneously without downmixing either...I could be wrong though.

Could this be implemented with a firmware update, or do most BR players require you to choose one primary audio output and down mix the secondary output?

TV: Panasonic TC-P55ST50
BluRay: Panasonic DMP-BDT 220
Audio: Sony HT-CT100 (Currently testing Vizio SB4051)
Gaming: PS4
PSN: Rican21
post #308 of 324 Old 06-30-2015, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I would just use hdmi when available. No point to using both simultaneously.

You can plug in headsets or headphones directly into the controller.

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 06-30-2015 at 07:13 AM.
post #309 of 324 Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post
Hmm. Interesting question. Honestly, I don't know because I've never had cause the use the S/PDIF output. I would be curious to know the answer as well, if anyone out there has tested it.

Thanks for looking into this. If I recall correctly the PS3 allowed both S/PDIF and HDMI to output audio simultaneously without downmixing either...I could be wrong though.

Could this be implemented with a firmware update, or do most BR players require you to choose one primary audio output and down mix the secondary output?
I'm pretty sure the ps3 does something similar if not the exact same thing. I would keep hdmi as the primary and only use hdmi to the soundbar. Then either use optical for the headset or better yet, just plug it into the controller.

I personally use a avr and 5.1 speaker setup with hdmi audio only and all sources plugged directly into avr via hdmi. I plug headphones or headsets directly into the controller, though my avr does have a headphone jack.
post #310 of 324 Old 06-30-2015, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

As far as standalone bd players go, I don't see why they would output audio from two different audio outputs simultaneously since headphones or headsets would not really be used for movie watching while also outputting sound to tv or external speakers/soundbar.

Also, the tv or soundbar might have a headphone jack.

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 06-30-2015 at 08:58 AM.
post #311 of 324 Old 07-02-2015, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

...do most BR players require you to choose one primary audio output and down mix the secondary output?

Yes.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #312 of 324 Old 07-02-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Pretty happy with this thing as a player right now. Netflix 1080p looks very good too.
post #313 of 324 Old 07-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Looks like we finally have a remote coming our way. Wish it was a little sooner though!http://www.amazon.com/PDP-Universal-...4+media+remote
post #314 of 324 Old 07-02-2015, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
Looks like we finally have a remote coming our way. Wish it was a little sooner though!http://www.amazon.com/PDP-Universal-...4+media+remote
Hopefully not long after that Logitech will have that remote in their DB as well.

Looky here!
post #315 of 324 Old 07-02-2015, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyboy View Post
Hopefully not long after that Logitech will have that remote in their DB as well.
What advantage would that produce? Wondering if it would be a way to make my Harmony 650 work with the PS4.
post #316 of 324 Old 07-03-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I went ahead and pre ordered. I always like the PS3 blu-ray remote.
post #317 of 324 Old 07-09-2015, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Help, my PS4 keeps reverting to PCM output!

Is this happening to anyone else?

I've got everything set up properly for playing Blu-Ray discs on my PS4, with HD video and bitstream audio output over HDMI, and it works great. Every few days, I'll be watching a Blu-Ray, and start thinking, "gee, this audio sounds flat and not all that great". I'll check what audio my AVR is receiving, (Marantz AV7702) and it'll say PCM. I'll go back in, check all settings in the AVR, PS4, and the selected audio track of the BD, and everything will still be set correctly. Then WITHOUT CHANGING ANYTHING ELSE, if I power cycle the PS4 and start the movie playing again, it'll start bitstreaming the audio properly again.

What the heck? Why does the PS4 keep dropping bitstream audio and reverting to PCM?
post #318 of 324 Old 07-10-2015, 04:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 112
NOTE: I had posted the above post as a new discussion thread, as it doesn't necessarily have to do with using the PS4 as your "only" BD player. The mods apparently merged it into this thread.
post #319 of 324 Old 07-23-2015, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Is the PS4 a really bad blu-ray player?

Like really ****ty? I've been an A/V enthusiast all my life but don't really have the budget to go for a dedicated blu-ray player. Even though I know how fantastic some players from Oppo and Cambridgre are, I just can't justify spending the money on them when I could spend that money towards even more expensive speakers/amps/TV/etc.. Even though the $499 Oppo BDP-103 should be in my budget, I simply don't own enough blu-rays to warrant the purchase anyways. I frequent cinemas and a lot of my TV show viewing is streamed services like Netflix, and most movies I enjoy in 25gb uncompressed digital files (true blu-ray quality) so I fear it might just be a waste for me.

This means I've always used my Playstations as my blu-rays, and from 2006 until about two months ago the PS3 has served as my main disk player. No complaints. Then a couple months ago I 'upgraded' my video game console to the PS4... Blu-rays haven't been the experience I hoped to see on such a good TV.

Last few movies I've watched on my Kuro (pre red tint black level fix) have been:
* Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 28gb digital file streamed via Chromecast; mind blowing picture quality

* Birdman ~ 27gb digital file via Chrome: some of the best and most real picture ever, completely drawn into the film.

* World War Z - Blu-ray copy via PS4 (first blu-ray I ever tested on PS4) average picture quality, bought this specifically on BD because I thought it had impressive visuals/audio quality but the picture was... Average.

*Post red tint black level fix*

* Batman Begins - Seen this movie a ton of times, but unfortunately most or all of those times have been in terrible situations (DVD copy, 700mb digital file, SD channel broadcast, computer monitor/speakers, TV with no speakers etc.. in other words not in my cinema room that I have today) Picture looked like upscaled DVD to 1080p. Didn't really resemble blu-ray to be honest. Granted the movie is quite old (10 years old) but I'd expect better picture from a 2005 blu-ray.

*Godzilla (2014), The Depated and a few other movies I watched on Netflix 1080p streaming, picture was okay, nothing more to be expected from Netflix to be honest.

Here's another thing... Netflix 1080p shows like House of Cards, Sense 8, Bloodlines, Suits, Orange is the New Black and Marco Polo all look absolutely phenomenal, especially HoC, S8 and Marco Polo. resolution is amazing and the images are razor sharp, crisp and full of detail... And this is just streamed 1080p.. Probably 1/4 the bit rate of blu-ray 1080p.

How come?

I tried watching The Dark Knight Rises, watched the opening scene which is shot with IMAX 15/70mm resolution, the picture was nothing less than superb, but the 2.35:1 regular camera images just looked almost mediocre to be honest.

Is there something seriously wrong here? I heard rumours about the PS4 being a worse BD player than the PS3 but this sounds quite ridiculous. I have my PS3 back at my parents house which I was planning to sell, should I collect it and keep it as main blu-ray player ? Last time I watched a blu-ray on my Kuro and that actually looked good was Skyfall, but that was on my PS3 roughly 9 months ago.
post #320 of 324 Old 07-23-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Pretty happy with this thing as a player right now. Netflix 1080p looks very good too.
Netflix 1080p looks amazing... but blu-rays have been really bad for me

Haven't had the chance to A/B the PS4 vs my old PS3 yet (or any other BD player for that matter) but I'm utterly convinced that BDs are performing worse than Netflix 1080p... (on PS4)

Haven't been able to A/B the source material either, but...

Mud, Sense 8, House of Cards, Marco Polo all look fantastic on Netflix.
Godzilla and The Departed looked okay.

and...

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Birdman and Gone Girl all looked phenomenal via Chromecast streaming 1080p 20-30gb BD files stored on PC.

However...

Batman Begins, World War Z, Pioner (Norwegian movie), The Dark Knight Rises (1.85:1 regular scenes) looked average, barely semi decent. Definitely not up to Blu-ray standards.
post #321 of 324 Old 07-25-2015, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Balls that sucks. And I was hoping the PS4 to be a good blu ray performer because my PS3 is not so bad for 3d blurays etc.

Supposed to purchase a PS4 soon.

Sony should come out with an firmware update that makes pictures razor sharp and removes film grain.

Don't want to purchase an extra bluray player for upstairs!

Already have the Samsung BD H600 3d bluray player which is the current King (razor sharp). Also has 4k upscale (with 4k compatible display).

I just don't understand what's the problem here with Sony. It's just silly and lazy behaviour from them.

I understand some people say that "if you want a good bluray performer than buy a standalone". But in all honesty, no thanks. That doesn't resolve laziness from Sony.
I wonder what bluray playback drive they are using and why is its picture quality rubbish in 2015.

I'm not going to be gaming in 1080p if I'm going to be watching rubbish 1080p quality from the player itself. That's just plain and simple stupid. Apologies for my rant to Sony.

I bet if Samsung designed PS4 then it would have a 4k player in it from start AND the console itself would be able to hover in mid air as well as be able to connect to their Samsung 4k VR Gear. It would come with a 'special PS4 3D active shutter glasses' accessory option, a Bluetooth 'touch screen remote', an option for a future upgrade HDMI 'connect box', Wireless audio/video/photos transfer sync from their Galaxy range smartphones etc and wirelessly charge them too. Also it would come with a motion stylus which would be picked up by the console's 20 MegaPixel sensor USB camera for super fast typing and browsing on your TV set. And finally it would have a built in 1000w 7.1 HD 3D loseless surround sound amp with an optional soundbar, speaker, subwoofer set up.

"It may also be able to communicate wth your Samsung bluetooth fridge / washing machine appliances in the near future".
- Samsung Tech

Please note: the hovering in mid air is supposed to be a joke and is in current development. Thank you.
- Samsung Tech

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I like to bully 1080p 3D TV owners
But I can not bully the 3D TV owners with upscaled UHD 3D.

Last edited by The Banshee; 07-25-2015 at 02:17 PM.
post #322 of 324 Old 07-25-2015, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 13
By the way I don't endorse Samsung - their customer service is worst on planet earth. Something bad happened between me and them a few years back.

End of.

I just happen to own and use both Sony and Samsung products.

However I thought the Japanese were supposed to be smarter than that. They should honour their products like they honour their Samurai blade.

- This one's on you Sony.

Sony 3D HMZ-T3 Owner
3D Blu-ray Supporter
4K Supporter?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I like to bully 1080p 3D TV owners
But I can not bully the 3D TV owners with upscaled UHD 3D.

Last edited by The Banshee; 07-25-2015 at 02:35 PM.
post #323 of 324 Old 07-25-2015, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I see no difference in pq between the ps4 and ps3. I use the ps4 as my primary bd player with no issues since November 2013. Perhaps some have left noise reduction on or some other setup issue since the real determining factor is the quality of the bd movie itself... the bd player is supposed to pass through the video from the disc to the TV untouched (ideally/mostly).

Older well made bd movies (5, 10, or more years old) won't match the pq of current ones that are well made. And not all are well made anyhow. I imagine if most here did an a/b comparison of the ps4 and ps3 set up correctly they'd be hard pressed to find any significant difference in pq. Then again, most standalone bd players on the market all perform nearly the same anyhow. Take a look at consumer reports if you don't believe me.

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 07-25-2015 at 03:49 PM.
post #324 of 324 Unread Today, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
I see no difference in pq between the ps4 and ps3. I use the ps4 as my primary bd player with no issues since November 2013. Perhaps some have left noise reduction on or some other setup issue since the real determining factor is the quality of the bd movie itself... the bd player is supposed to pass through the video from the disc to the TV untouched (ideally/mostly).

Older well made bd movies (5, 10, or more years old) won't match the pq of current ones that are well made. And not all are well made anyhow. I imagine if most here did an a/b comparison of the ps4 and ps3 set up correctly they'd be hard pressed to find any significant difference in pq. Then again, most standalone bd players on the market all perform nearly the same anyhow. Take a look at consumer reports if you don't believe me.

That was the first thing I did after I almost finished watching Batman Begins. Turned noise reduction off and the image instantly looked better. Haven't retried TDK:R or World War Z to fully determine if that did the trick or not. But I have read articles back in the day that stated that the PS4 was a worse performing BD player than the PS3. . So not just me that has this problem and maybe simply turning noisr reducation off won't fix the problem entirely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page