One-and-Only PS4 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #331 of 335 Old 08-08-2015, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserSeaBass View Post
Do you use Optical for audio? My receiver detected PCM when I had it on HDMI. Once I switched the settings to optical and selected the supported format, my receiver started detecting and outputting DTS format.
No, sole connection is with HDMI. Bitstreaming high res audio (Dolby Tru HD, DTS HD, etc) is only possible over HDMI. It's the strangest thing. I won't change anything--no settings, no connections, and every now and then, my PS4 will just revert to outputting PCM over HDMI, and I have to power cycle the PS4 to get it to bitstream audio again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 335 Old 08-12-2015, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 9
During bd playback. What setting should display mode be in? Full or Normal?

Also, how about Dynamic Range Control? Should this be on, off , automatic?
post #333 of 335 Old 08-12-2015, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexLinear View Post
During bd playback. What setting should display mode be in? Full or Normal?

Display mode has no effect for BD playback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexLinear View Post
Also, how about Dynamic Range Control? Should this be on, off , automatic?

Dynamic Range Control only works if the audio output for disc playback is set to PCM (not bitstream). It is generally advisable to turn it off if you have a reasonably proficient speaker system. TV speakers, sound bars, and very compact speakers may benefit from on or automatic, although automatic usually leaves dynamic range compression off. Late night viewing would be another opportunity to turn it on, to avoid disturbing anyone sleeping nearby.

Automatic relies on flags in the audio bitstream to determine whether or not dynamic range compression is applied. These flags are set by the content creators, who will occasionally (often by accident) enable dynamic range compression by default. Turning Dynamic Range Control off ensures that dynamic range compression is never applied.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

Last edited by home_theatre_man; 08-12-2015 at 05:59 PM.
post #334 of 335 Old 08-13-2015, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Great information, thanks Chase!
post #335 of 335 Unread Today, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Downside to using black level "high" on PS4 when watching BluRays?

Hi!

So I know that blu-rays use 'hdmi black level LOW' (RGB range full vs limited on PS4), and I know PS4 games actually use HIGH/FULL. I know that the TV and the PS4 need to be on the same setting otherwise the image will be washed out or overly contrasty. However, is there a picture quality downside to leaving both the TV and PS4 on FULL when watching BluRays? Since full has a larger range, you would think that when watching a BluRay it could just remap the levels from the LOW source onto the larger FULL range of the PS4?

Is there a downside to this?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 4 Console , ps4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page