5Likes

post #91 of 179 Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Well one option that's definitely missing is the ability to use a remote. I think having a game controller in hand just to watch a movie would be a PITA. Sony has clearly designed this thing for gaming only, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. But that means using the PS4 for other purposes is going to be awkward, if not impossible. I think it's time to accept that this is not the all-in-one gaming/media device the PS3 was. That ship has sailed.

At the very least they could have allowed the BT remote for the PS3 to work. But, I agree, DLNA is such a basic feature to implement...it isn't even like they had much of a UI for it in the PS3 but at least it was there. Now that the Xbox has a blu ray player, I think it may be time to either switch or build a HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 179 Old 12-10-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

give Sony time, a simple firmware update can add support for a remote and more media apps can be added at anytime

Sony just needs enough feedback from owners to solve launch window issues with the console. Not unlike the changes Microsoft made to the xbox one before it even launched.

That is definitely the "glass is half full" approach. I would argue that they have had years of research for features and requests from the PS3 fanbase. There are/were dedicated websites to feature requests for the PS4 for years. It is absolutely a calculated design choice to move away from home theater component to gaming rig.

Think about it. Now that Blu Ray players are commodities and had for under $100, the PS3/4 is really not as enticing as it once was. Plus, Sony wants you to buy the stand along BR player they make.
post #93 of 179 Old 12-11-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post

At the very least they could have allowed the BT remote for the PS3 to work.

I have been using the PS4 as my main Bluray player paired with a R550A TV for a few weeks now. A nice feature is that I can control most functions of the the PS4 with my TV's remote.
All I have to do is turn the PS4 on manually. I am not sure if this is a Sony TV to PS4 thing or a standard feature on HDMI-CEC but I can do the following with my R550A TV:

Navigate the PS4 XMB with directional arrows/ok button
Navigate the Bluray menus with the directional arrows/ok button
Fast Fwd/Rewind with the directional buttons
Pause and Play with the ok/select button
Turn Off the PS4 when I turn Off the TV (does not work 100% of the time)

Only things I could not find were the Blu Ray Top Menu button nor Chapter skips. I could not find those on my remote.

So you can control most of the functions for Bluray playback without the PS4 controller.

One annoying thing is if you turn on the PS4 with the PS4 controller, that thing has a bright Blue light that bugs the hell out of me when watching movies in the evening/dark room.
I have not found how to disable that yet so I need to turn On the PS4 manually to avoid it but always forget. biggrin.gif

BTW, the PS4 is not as loud as my PS3 slim.
post #94 of 179 Old 12-11-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Thanks for that info. So it appears HDMI-CEC works the same on the PS4 as it did on the PS3. That's better than nothing.

If you have a universal remote, you can use the bravia sync codes for chapter skips and scene (whatever that does) that I used with my PS3. I can also post pronto hex versions if you need them:
Code:
Command           Protocol  Device  OBC
BS-Theater        Sony15    119     96
BS-Rewind         Sony15    151     27
BS-Pause          Sony15    151     25
BS-Play           Sony15    151     26
BS-FF             Sony15    151     28
BS-Sync Menu      Sony15    26      88
BS-Prev           Sony15    151     60
BS-Stop           Sony15    151     24
BS-Next           Sony15    151     61
post #95 of 179 Old 12-11-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob67 View Post

That is definitely the "glass is half full" approach. I would argue that they have had years of research for features and requests from the PS3 fanbase. There are/were dedicated websites to feature requests for the PS4 for years. It is absolutely a calculated design choice to move away from home theater component to gaming rig.

Think about it. Now that Blu Ray players are commodities and had for under $100, the PS3/4 is really not as enticing as it once was. Plus, Sony wants you to buy the stand along BR player they make.

the way I see it no console is perfect at launch, usually far from it

yet I can still play BDs and DVDs on it, stream Netflix or Amazon VOD, and there are at least a few good launch titles that appeal to me

by next year, this console will likely have more than enough features for media use (aside from those not possible hardware wise) and I'm sure some BD/media remote control will exist (not to mention more games that are worth upgrading to the PS4 for)

the PS3 was far from perfect at launch and I don't think Sony should be faulted for focusing on games for a game console (it's not like the Wii U that can't even play DVDs or BDs and only has a handful of Nintendo exclusives worth playing that aren't HD versions of Wii games)
post #96 of 179 Old 12-11-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Thanks for that info. So it appears HDMI-CEC works the same on the PS4 as it did on the PS3. That's better than nothing.

If you have a universal remote, you can use the bravia sync codes for chapter skips and scene (whatever that does) that I used with my PS3. I can also post pronto hex versions if you need them:
Code:
Command           Protocol  Device  OBC
BS-Theater        Sony15    119     96
BS-Rewind         Sony15    151     27
BS-Pause          Sony15    151     25
BS-Play           Sony15    151     26
BS-FF             Sony15    151     28
BS-Sync Menu      Sony15    26      88
BS-Prev           Sony15    151     60
BS-Stop           Sony15    151     24
BS-Next           Sony15    151     61

Thanks!! So no Top Menu Bravia Sync Code?

I am still debating on whether I should get a universal remote (I have a Harmony in my living room already). As it is, I can do most BR commands except power off the PS4 and Top Menu from the TV remote.
post #97 of 179 Old 12-11-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy View Post

Thanks!! So no Top Menu Bravia Sync Code?
Not that I've been able to find. Granted, I didn't look very hard. If you were so inclined, you could use your cable TV remote to go code hunting and try every possibility (mostly likely 384 possible combinations, 50 or so of which you could skip). If you want to give it a try, I'd be glad to tell you how to do it. I don't have a PS3 or PS4 to test.

Every code I know of has been document on this page (search for "[Sync]"):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/Sony_tv.htm#tvd

Realize that several commands not on that list still work over CEC too, like up/down/left/right, menu, etc. Have you tried all of those? In the Bravia Sync menu, you can pick whether "Menu" controls the TV or your device. You may even find some more options for more commands in the Bravia Sync menu. I'll do a little more digging on my TV and see if I find anything else.
Cucuy likes this.
post #98 of 179 Old 12-13-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I found it !!

I have the press Sync Menu then go to Contents List (IIRC) and that is effectively the typical Top Menu function which brings you to the movie's menu with chapters/audio/features etc.

Thanks for the tip. cool.gif

So until I get more components added to this setup, I can go by as is. biggrin.gif
post #99 of 179 Old 12-23-2013, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This is probably why the voices are VERY quiet while explosions and action scenes are loud. Why is it doing this? I have my receiver plugged into my PS4 via optical digital.
post #100 of 179 Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrumpyCat View Post

This is probably why the voices are VERY quiet while explosions and action scenes are loud. Why is it doing this? I have my receiver plugged into my PS4 via optical digital.

Even so, the extra channels would be mixed in the surrounds.
post #101 of 179 Old 01-02-2014, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The YCbCr Range setting seems useless since both Limited and Full are video levels, including BTB and WTW. What's the point of this setting?
post #102 of 179 Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM

I never used rgb full on the ps3 but I have to on the ps4. Games look too washed out on automatic/limited. My tv supports full so I'm not getting black crush, at least I don't notice it. I've been playing Knack and the darker scenes look amazing on full compared to limited. I have HDMI BLACK LEVEL on NORMAL on my Samsung. Anyone have similar experience with ps4 and RGB FULL?
post #103 of 179 Old 01-03-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

The YCbCr Range setting seems useless since both Limited and Full are video levels, including BTB and WTW. What's the point of this setting?
Interesting. I confirmed video levels with headroom and moved on to audio issues. I'll add this to my list of things to investigate.

Has anyone seen PS4 send YCbCr for anything other than BD/DVD playback?

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #104 of 179 Old 01-03-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

I have HDMI BLACK LEVEL on NORMAL on my Samsung. Anyone have similar experience with PS4 and RGB FULL?
PS4 on RGB Automatic or Limited appears to output correct video levels to the Samsung PN59D7000 on HDMI Black Level Low (the setting for video levels) for CoD: Ghosts, Netflix, and VUDU. I cannot confirm with test patterns due to current restriction of disc playback to YCbCr.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #105 of 179 Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post

PS4 on RGB Automatic or Limited appears to output correct video levels to the Samsung PN59D7000 on HDMI Black Level Low (the setting for video levels) for CoD: Ghosts, Netflix, and VUDU. I cannot confirm with test patterns due to current restriction of disc playback to YCbCr.

Isn't HDMI BLACK LEVEL on NORMAL the correct setting for RGB FULL?
post #106 of 179 Old 01-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Isn't HDMI BLACK LEVEL on NORMAL the correct setting for RGB FULL?
Yes. Normal and Full are PC levels 0-255. Low and Limited would be video levels 16-235.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

post #107 of 179 Old 01-04-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Yes. Normal and Full are PC levels 0-255. Low and Limited would be video levels 16-235.

I put ps4 on rgb full and tv on HDMI BLACK LEVEL- NORMAL and I get a solid picture. When I keep ps4 on rgb full and change HDMI BLACK LEVEL to LOW, it washes out. When I change ps4 to rgb limited and put HDMI BLACK LEVEL on LOW it crushes blacks. When I keep limited on ps4 and TV but use BLACK TONE setting on TV (off, dark, darker, and darkest) I can get identical picture with rgb full and HDMI BLACK LEVEL on NORMAL just by using DARKER on TV. I'm assuming that ps4 should be on full with TV on NORMAL, for my setup anyway.
post #108 of 179 Old 01-04-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:

When I keep PS4 on RGB FULL and change HDMI BLACK LEVEL to LOW, it washes out.
As it should, mixing PC and studio (video) range.
Quote:

When I change PS4 to RGB LIMITED and put HDMI BLACK LEVEL on LOW, it crushes blacks.
I would look into this, as Low should be the right setting for 16-235 limited range in Samsung world. Has your TV calibration been checked with an RGB input?
Quote:

I'm assuming that PS4 should be on FULL with TV on NORMAL, for my setup anyway.
Yes.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

post #109 of 179 Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:

As it should, mixing PC and studio (video) range.
I would look into this, as Low should be the right setting for 16-235 limited range in Samsung world. Has your TV calibration been checked with an RGB input?
Yes.

I have ps4 and standalone blu-ray player hooked up to same input on tv via receiver so calibrating for rgb full won't work. However, my tv has been mildly calibrated through Disney WOW. RGB FULL on ps3, on same input, crushes blacks but I don't see that on ps4.
post #110 of 179 Old 01-04-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I recommend sticking with rgb limited and HDMI black level low for most home theater setups.
gus738 likes this.
post #111 of 179 Old 01-04-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:

I recommend sticking with rgb limited and HDMI black level low for most home theater setups.

I agree but some use ps3/ps4 just for games.
post #112 of 179 Old 01-04-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:

I have ps4 and standalone blu-ray player hooked up to same input on tv via receiver so calibrating for rgb full won't work. However, my tv has been mildly calibrated through Disney WOW. RGB FULL on ps3, on same input, crushes blacks but I don't see that on ps4.
If your TV is properly calibrated for studio RGB input, then the BD player and PS4 on Limited should produce reasonably accurate results and not crush blacks. Changing PS4 to Full may require a different calibration for the TV (apart from setting HDMI Black Level to Normal) that is not appropriate for studio RGB and YCbCr devices connected through your receiver. That is why, as PlasmaPZ80U notes, the typical configuration for the PS4 in this instance would be Limited. If those settings appear to produce inaccurate results with your system, I would suggest checking your TV calibration using a pattern generator or test disc such as Spears & Munsil. You cannot currently test RGB Limited using PS4, because it forces YCbCr for BD/DVD. PS3 and your BD player should both allow you to select RGB Limited. Evaluating black crush with video games is tricky, because gamma varies between titles - hence the reason most games include a "Brightness" or "Gamma" control.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

post #113 of 179 Old 01-04-2014, 08:27 PM

I just did some more testing and with PS4 on Full with TV on HDMI BLACK LEVEL to NORMAL it looked great. When I changed PS4 to LIMITED and put TV to HDMI BLACK LEVEL on LOW the picture was exactly the same with maybe it being a little better on full but not sure if it was just a placebo effect. Which one should I choose or does it matter since I'm only using PS4 for gaming?
post #114 of 179 Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:

I just did some more testing and with PS4 on Full with TV on HDMI BLACK LEVEL to NORMAL it looked great. When I changed PS4 to LIMITED and put TV to HDMI BLACK LEVEL on LOW the picture was exactly the same with maybe it being a little better on FULL but not sure if it was just a placebo effect. Which one should I choose or does it matter since I'm only using PS4 for gaming?
Because you have several sources feeding through your receiver into one input on your TV, and your TV does not have multiple picture memories (not the same as picture modes) for that input, my recommendation is PS4 Limited and TV Low. However, there is nothing technically wrong with using Full and Normal if you feel that the expanded RGB range produces a better image. When making the comparison, be sure that your TV has been calibrated for both RGB Full and RGB Limited, and use the appropriate settings when evaluating each format. If you choose Full, then you will need to manually change the TV between the settings for RGB Full and RGB Limited every time you switch from PS4 to another device, and vice versa. This could prove to be a very large bother for a very small (if any) improvement in quality; hence my recommendation of Limited.
gus738 likes this.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

post #115 of 179 Old 01-05-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Because you have several sources feeding through your receiver into one input on your TV, and your TV does not have multiple picture memories (not the same as picture modes) for that input, my recommendation is PS4 Limited and TV Low. However, there is nothing technically wrong with using Full and Normal if you feel that the expanded RGB range produces a better image. When making the comparison, be sure that your TV has been calibrated for both RGB Full and RGB Limited, and use the appropriate settings when evaluating each format. If you choose Full, then you will need to manually change the TV between the settings for RGB Full and RGB Limited every time you switch from PS4 to another device, and vice versa. This could prove to be a very large bother for a very small (if any) improvement in quality; hence my recommendation of Limited.

My receiver doesnt have HDMI standby passthrough so I use digital coax for my directv for when I want 5.1 audio. Ps4 and blu-ray player are the only two components hooked up on same tv input. The blu ray player reverts to limited format and HDMI BLACK LEVEL Setting is always grayed out when it's turned on. Like I said, it's probably a placebo effect but it seems full looks slightly better than limited.
post #116 of 179 Old 03-01-2014, 08:17 PM

Liked: 10
I have a PS4 and samsung blu-ray player. I'm putting together my basement HT. I'm wondering what the general consensus is, use the blu ray for movies or ditch it and use the PS4??

Denon avr-x2000
Monster HTS 5100 MKII
B&W FPM 5 L/R
B&W FPM 6 C
B&W in ceiling 6.5" surround
SVS PB-1000
PS-4
Samsung blu-Ray
Samsung 51" plasma
post #117 of 179 Old 03-01-2014, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

If you like using a game controller instead of a remote, use the PS4.
post #118 of 179 Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 PM

Has there been any official word on whether or not DLNA and mp3 or video streaming from a home network will be supported on the PS4? I am still holding out to see if this feature is added before I upgrade.
post #119 of 179 Old 03-05-2014, 11:24 AM

I didn't see mention in the PS4 FAQ, but as of 3/3/14, 3D BluRay content is unsupported on the ps4.

Also, the lack of DLNA support is such a let down. My old PS3 support 3d blurays and automatic DLNA server detection and my new PS4 does neither.

post #120 of 179 Old 03-08-2014, 11:14 PM

sorry if it been answered but just wanted to know if the bluray playback issues for ps4 still exist?
I recall a few months ago articles about ps4 having worse playback for blurays compared to ps3 are those claims still true or been fixed?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 4 Console

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page