One-and-Only PS4 as Blu-Ray Player Thread - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #181 of 290 Old 08-30-2014, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
When I turn on the "1080p/24Hz" setting in my PS4 and my TV runs in 24Hz, the black levels completely rise on my Samsung PN59D7000. Has anyone else run into this issue?

PS4 24 Hz works fine with the PND7000 series when Cinema Smooth is off. Cinema Smooth raises the black level considerably with all sources and should be disabled for reference calibration and viewing. I haven't noticed PS4 being any better or worse in this regard than other sources, but then I rarely have Cinema Smooth engaged.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 290 Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by home_theatre_man View Post
PS4 24 Hz works fine with the PND7000 series when Cinema Smooth is off. Cinema Smooth raises the black level considerably with all sources and should be disabled for reference calibration and viewing. I haven't noticed PS4 being any better or worse in this regard than other sources, but then I rarely have Cinema Smooth engaged.
I mean we can argue CS on/off all day, but I'll just make the point I've had this TV since September 2011 and have always used CS.

This is much more than just a black level rise. Blacks are pure gray. It's almost like the look if you change your TV's HDMI Black Level from "Low" to "Normal" when you're using Limited RGB on the PlayStation (in other words, the PS will do 16-239 and the TV is doing 0-255, if those numbers are correct). That makes sense, but I'm not using Full RGB, so it's just kind of all bizarre.
post #183 of 290 Old 09-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey everyone... Sorry if I missed it (I did search this thread). Is there a review that shows how the PS4 bluray decoding compares to the PS3? Specifically, which results in highest picture quality / reproduction of the data on the bluray?
post #184 of 290 Old 09-07-2014, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have noticed some strange audio issues with my PS4. I have been using the PS4 only once and a while for Blu Rays. I started to notice the issue with the 1.75 update. On 2 concert discs using bitstream the DTSMA track was missing the LFE channel. Both times skipping chapters cleared it, which makes me think it was the PS4. I checked my subwoofer and it was on, ready to get a signal. I did upgrade to 1.76 and I am wondering if this will fix the issue, although I have not tested it much yet.

Has anyone seen this issue?

Thanks

Teddy
post #185 of 290 Old 09-10-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I received my PS4 yesterday. I immediately set about changing options to the way I like, namely allowing my receiver to process audio, rather than the PS. The option I could find gave 3 choices: Linear PCM, Bitstream (Dolby), Bitstream (DTS). So I started out with Bitstream (Dolby), popped in a blu-ray (with 7.1 DTS-HD) and my receiver indicated the PS was doing the decoding. Hmmm....

Did a brief search on the PS Community forms and seems others are seeing similar results. Playing of blu-ray is forced Linear PCM.

To my ears, letting my receiver do the decoding makes the sound fuller and louder, so I'd prefer to have it that way. Anyone else know anything to do different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBoogie View Post
For those who want to know if the PS4 can bit stream it most certainly can. While you're watching a movie hit the option button on the controller and go to settings, go to audio formats then select bitstream direct and now your reciever will show you the cool light and dts hd master or dolby truhd.... It also is louder, clearer, and more dynamic!!!
Had my above post typed out and thought I'd scour one more time. And here is the answer. Thank you! But a questions till is, do you have to do this every time, ,or is this a one time setting that we just don't see until we actually put a BR disc in to play?
post #186 of 290 Old 09-10-2014, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
But a question still is, do you have to do this every time, or is this a one time setting that we just don't see until we actually put a BR disc in to play?

It is a one-time setting that is not accessible unless you are playing a disc.

Chase Walton
Technical Editor
PMI, Ltd. / MSR, Inc.

Home Theater Design and Calibration Insider

My comments are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of PMI, Ltd. or MSR, Inc.

post #187 of 290 Old 09-11-2014, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Awesome, thank you! Weird to hide a menu that way, but okay. I'll try it out as soon as my replacement arrives.

Because.... well, let me tell you a brief story.

I waited a year for the kinks to get worked out, like a good technology aficionado (and possible for nothing? read on...). When the white PS4 bundle was announced, that was my time. Got it Tuesday, went straight to setting it up like I like it. Finally get around to popping in Destiny. A horrendous buzzing sound issues from the console, changing in pitch with the spin up and down of the drive. I immediately hit eject. Take the disc out and look at it... it is scratched to hell. I get on the internets immediately and start searching, and while some people had posts and videos of drive buzz, they were mostly corrected by balancing the console. My experience was somehow different. Called a friend who also got the white console and asked; he said it was whisper quiet. /sigh On with Amazon. They replaced of course, but I was 20 min after their warehouse closed, so couldn't overnight one. Fortunately and somehow the protective coating of blu-ray discs made the disc still readable, and since it was all going back and I was anxious to see what I could see of Destiny, I put the disc back in. So it buzzed its way through loading the game files then spun down and I got to play for a while. As to the new unit, we will see what happens this evening. I'm nervous now...
post #188 of 290 Old 10-29-2014, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post
Never used my PS4 for Blu-Ray until the other day. I have always used my Panasonic BDT-230. Recently I've noticed some strange artifacts on images and credits on the BDT-230 with DVDs and Blu-Ray but movie was fine. Sound from a few Blu-Ray titles was lacking in overall "punchiness" as well. Star Trek into darkness was terrible sounding, as far as loudness and punch goes so I put it in the PS4. I usually set to bitstream so I can see the logo/icon of DTS-MA/DDTrue HD on my receiver.
On the PS4 Star Trek definitely sounded more full and punchy vs. my standalone player. Once I set to PCM I was amazed at the difference in output and overall clarity. PCM sounded better. Star Trek is DD true hd. I then put in thor 2 which has dts ma track and pcm sounded inferior. Any insight? Also, the artifacts were gone on the ps4.
I have the exact same question. I just got a PS4 and had been using my Xbox One for BD (PS3 before that). I was excited to try out a BD since you that can output Bitstream Direct of the HD codecs instead of using PCM. Granted I know it's just a matter of which device does the decoding, but I had yet to have a system that could allow my receiver to do the work. Plus I wanted to see "the light" finally turn on.
Anyway, watching Transformers Dark of the Moon and switched it to Bitstream, my receiver said TrueHD, and it was working but it just sounded... hollow and weak. It was also significantly more quiet.
I haven't test this on any other movies but I just found it odd. Any ideas why this would be the case? Suggestions?
post #189 of 290 Old 11-07-2014, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'd read that initially (even aside from the lack of 3D), the PS3 was a superior Blu-ray player than the PS4. With the recent firmware update, up to and including 2.01, how are people feeling now about a PS4 as a primary Blu-ray player?

I currently use my PS3 as my blu-ray player and I also use it for streaming Netlix, Amazon, MLB Extra Innings and NFLSundayTicket.tv. As all those apps have now been added I've been thinking of upgrading to the PS4. But if the PS3 still produces better image quality and audio, then I think I'll stick with the PS3 for awhile longer (I don't really care about 3d, and cannot have both connected without the addition of a HDMI hub as my AVR is full-up).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
post #190 of 290 Old 11-08-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
No difference with audio or video in my setup. Have both and use both.
post #191 of 290 Old 11-09-2014, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by smack518 View Post
I'd read that initially (even aside from the lack of 3D), the PS3 was a superior Blu-ray player than the PS4. With the recent firmware update, up to and including 2.01, how are people feeling now about a PS4 as a primary Blu-ray player?

I currently use my PS3 as my blu-ray player and I also use it for streaming Netlix, Amazon, MLB Extra Innings and NFLSundayTicket.tv. As all those apps have now been added I've been thinking of upgrading to the PS4. But if the PS3 still produces better image quality and audio, then I think I'll stick with the PS3 for awhile longer (I don't really care about 3d, and cannot have both connected without the addition of a HDMI hub as my AVR is full-up).

Thoughts?

Thanks!
I have both the graphics on the PS4 just a tad better plus I have old version PS3, have not tried 3D on the PS4 yet.
post #192 of 290 Old 11-11-2014, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

New software update today 2.02 what it does don't know yet.
post #193 of 290 Old 11-11-2014, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 21
2.02 improves system software stability.
post #194 of 290 Old 11-11-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I keep on having wake up issues. I have tried both rest mode and total power off. Waking up has been a hit and miss. Let's see if this update gets things better
post #195 of 290 Old 11-13-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hi.what are the best settings to adjust the ps4 for blu ray movies? Just got the ps4. I only use it for.blurays no games. Thanks
post #196 of 290 Old 11-14-2014, 07:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post
Hi.what are the best settings to adjust the ps4 for blu ray movies? Just got the ps4. I only use it for.blurays no games. Thanks
Interesting choice to use it as a BR player only. Any reason why you did this vs say getting an Oppo?

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #197 of 290 Old 11-14-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Interesting choice to use it as a BR player only. Any reason why you did this vs say getting an Oppo?
Hi, only reason, i opted for PS4 from OPPO as my Bluray player, because i think OPPO are kind of expensive for just Bluray player, and PS4 its kind of a 2 way system, you can have Bluray playback, and at the same time, you can also play games with the system.(not a gamer, but my 2 kids does! 5y.o and 1 y.o lol)
post #198 of 290 Old 11-14-2014, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
You know, Grand Theft Auto 5 comes out next week, perfect timing for your 5-year-old.
post #199 of 290 Old 11-14-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgdeuce View Post
You know, Grand Theft Auto 5 comes out next week, perfect timing for your 5-year-old.
Lol. Not allowed.
post #200 of 290 Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi what are the best settings for ps4 for buray playback under video output settings? I have panasonic plasma VT60 tv. TIA.
RGB RANGE - AUTOMATIC? FULL? LIMITED?

YPB/CB PR/CR RANGE - AUTOMATIC? LIMITED? FULL?

DEEP COLOR OUTPUT- AUTOMATIC? OFF?

DISPLAY MODE - NORMAL? FULL?

DYNAMIC RANGE CONTROL - OFF? ON? AUTOMATIC?
post #201 of 290 Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Hi what are the best settings for ps4 for buray playback under video output settings? I have panasonic plasma VT60 tv. TIA.

Limited

YPB/CB PR/CR RANGE - AUTOMATIC? LIMITED? FULL? Doesn't seem to change anything regardless of where you set it

DEEP COLOR OUTPUT- AUTOMATIC? OFF? Auto

DISPLAY MODE - NORMAL? FULL? Normal

DYNAMIC RANGE CONTROL - OFF? ON? AUTOMATIC? off
See above

Last edited by PlasmaPZ80U; 11-18-2014 at 04:48 PM.
post #202 of 290 Old 11-20-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

YPB/CB PR/CR RANGE - AUTOMATIC? LIMITED? FULL?

DEEP COLOR OUTPUT- AUTOMATIC? OFF?

DISPLAY MODE - NORMAL? FULL?

DYNAMIC RANGE CONTROL - OFF? ON? AUTOMATIC?
For the TV you have its not going to matter especially if it been calibrated.
post #203 of 290 Old 11-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 55
So I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a PS4. Just wondering what the deal with PCM vs bitstream was for audio? Are these issues resolved? Wasn't really clear to me reading through here. On my PS3 i use bitstream so i can see the DTS MA and Dolby HD on my receiver, is this still true for the PS4?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

post #204 of 290 Old 12-02-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Yes you can use bitstream on PS4. I don't like that there's less audio options. On PS3 you can choose 2.1 to 7.1 PCM. 48Khz to 192Khz. On PS4 all you have is LPCM or DTS and Dolby. It does everything automatically but i like having those options available.
CheYC likes this.

home theater addict
post #205 of 290 Old 12-15-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
What hz is my PS4 outputting BD'S?

As most of you may know, the PS4 has an option to output BD's at 1080p/24hz. However, I am receiving slight audio sync issues when this is active and even worse when I activate Real Cinema on my tv to make it 48hz. (My TV is an LG 42LN5300 60hz). Even if Real Cinema is active or not, my tv reads 24hz. When I turn the 1080p/24hz option off, it fixes the audio sync problem but I'm not quite sure what hz my tv is truly outputting at. It reads 60hz but its noticeably less smooth than 48hz. Any opinions?
post #206 of 290 Old 12-15-2014, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Most BD's are authored in 1080p/24. Your LG will basically double the frame to produce 48 fps. When 24p is turned off, the player will apply 3:2 pulldown to achieve 60 fps since 60 is not a multiple of 24. This is where the motion problems come from. You can perform a search in the forum. There's probably hundreds of threads on this subject.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #207 of 290 Old 12-24-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 256
anyone know whether the XB1 or PS4 has better DVD upscaling to 1080p? I have both and am not 100% sure but I think the XB1 might be a little better

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
post #208 of 290 Old 12-24-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
In a similar vein, does anyone know if any of the updates have allowed the PS4 to work with Harmony (or any for that matter) remotes?

I spoke with a CS rep at sony who says it works with the PS3 bluray remote, but everything I see online says otherwise. I would like this to actually REPLACE my PS3, which I use for Blu-ray and streaming content as well as gaming, so having to control video with a DS4 is very unappealing and holding me back from purchase.
post #209 of 290 Old 12-24-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
anyone know whether the XB1 or PS4 has better DVD upscaling to 1080p? I have both and am not 100% sure but I think the XB1 might be a little better
The PS4's DVD upscaling was said to be inferior to PS3's. I'm sure it will get better with furture updates. Both PS4 and XB1 have pretty adverage upscaling quality.

David Mckenzie reveiwed them both-

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/ps4-201312173519.htm

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/xbox-...1312013475.htm

I still use my PS3 for blurays. I won't be using my PS4 for blurays until Sony gets the quality of everything up to PS3 levels. They've said that was the plan.

Quote:
In a similar vein, does anyone know if any of the updates have allowed the PS4 to work with Harmony (or any for that matter) remotes?

I spoke with a CS rep at sony who says it works with the PS3 bluray remote, but everything I see online says otherwise. I would like this to actually REPLACE my PS3, which I use for Blu-ray and streaming content as well as gaming, so having to control video with a DS4 is very unappealing and holding me back from purchase.
No PS3 accessories will work with PS4 unfortunately. Sony was too focused on making the PS4 the best gaming console to worry about bluray playback or anything else. Things will improve i'm sure.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 12-24-2014 at 12:27 PM.
post #210 of 290 Old 12-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I don't know the answer to all your questions but I do know there is a ps4 media remote now. Also if your TV has CEC you can activate it on both the TV and the ps4 and control some of the functions but not all. I haven't extensively used it but could control basic features like start, pause, etc with my Vizio TV remote after activating CEC.

PSN: ROLL_mf_TIDE

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR | Sony S5100 BD Player

Last edited by steve1022; 01-07-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Playstation 4 Console