post #3061 of 5276 Old 03-03-2014, 05:32 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticHaze View Post

My 103d just updated its firmware. Does anyone have the release notes for this new firmware?

First post in this thread, or OPPO's web page.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 5276 Old 03-03-2014, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

First post in this thread, or OPPO's web page.

-Bill

Thanks, I missed the Feb 20 update smile.gif
post #3063 of 5276 Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post

I use 35% High Def, and it makes a subtle yet very worth while PQ upgrade IMO.
ok, good. Just wanted to clarify that Darbee didn't need to be disabled in order for you to perceive a better PQ.
post #3064 of 5276 Old 03-04-2014, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

ok, good. Just wanted to clarify that Darbee didn't need to be disabled in order for you to perceive a better PQ.

No wink.gif

The Darbee effect works for both scenarios although it's slightly softer through the AVR.

Oppo support haven't heard of it before (I asked specifically with the 2112, if anyone had reported problems).

In the next couple of weeks I am going to upgrade the AVR to a x4000. I have just ordered one. I shall report back my findings as soon as I can get the thing operational.
post #3065 of 5276 Old 03-04-2014, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticHaze View Post

My 103d just updated its firmware. Does anyone have the release notes for this new firmware?

Release notes and download information are linked on page one of this thread, along with reviews and other pertinent information. Thanks Neuromancer.
They are also scattered thru this thread, since one of the beta's will post the release notes as soon as the firmware (official or beta) becomes available. Its sometimes a good idea to check the thread after a beta release to see if there have been any glitches (very rare) before loading a beta.
The automatic update your Oppo did is only done for official firmwares. Beta firmwares can only be uploaded to your unit via usb thumbdrive or by burning a cd. Instructions are on the Oppo website. Release notes are also on the Oppo website.
www.oppodigital.com>customer service>product support>103D.

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #3066 of 5276 Old 03-04-2014, 06:36 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post

The automatic update your Oppo did is only done for official firmwares. Beta firmwares can only be uploaded to your unit via usb thumbdrive or by burning a cd. Instructions are on the Oppo website. Release notes are also on the Oppo website.
www.oppodigital.com>customer service>product support>103D.
There are no fully automatic updates - you are presented with the option to update, but have to accept it for the update to install.
post #3067 of 5276 Old 03-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

There are no fully automatic updates - you are presented with the option to update, but have to accept it for the update to install.
You are right. I should have made it clear that if you have chosen to set 'firmware notification' to 'on' in the setup menu that you will be notified of a new firmware by an on-screen message. You can also sign up on the Oppo website to be notified by e-mail when a new official firmware is released. You will need to choose to do the firmware update. It will not be automatically done without your approval.

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #3068 of 5276 Old 03-04-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I was not aware until I went to the Oppo site that the latest firmware update requires a Reset of Factory Defaults. I had updated my firmware the other day without doing so. Before I did the reset, I took advantage of the Backup Settings function. After resetting Factory Defaults, I used the Restore Settings function. Nice.
Smarty-pants likes this.
post #3069 of 5276 Old 03-04-2014, 04:30 PM

Liked: 13

Ordered mine today so add me to the club :)  Going to need to dig through this thread to see if there's anything I need to know about how to connect it into my system most effectively.

post #3070 of 5276 Old 03-05-2014, 12:02 AM

Liked: 20
just to clear things up, does the 103D have the "color enhancement" option that the 103 has? i really like that feature on the 103 but i want to get the darbee addition. also, some people say that if you increase sharpness on the 103 it creats a darbee-like affect, but is the darbee affect much more than just an increase in sharpness on the 103?

TV; samsung 65F7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #3071 of 5276 Old 03-05-2014, 03:51 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

just to clear things up, does the 103D have the "color enhancement" option that the 103 has?

No, that is a QDEO feature.
Quote:
also, some people say that if you increase sharpness on the 103 it creats a darbee-like affect, but is the darbee affect much more than just an increase in sharpness on the 103?

No, Darbee is nothing like the older sharpening methods. People would not be as interested in it if it were. Previous edge enhancements techniques destroy fine detail in the image; you can see it in test patterns. The Darbee (Hidef mode, at least) does not do that.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3072 of 5276 Old 03-05-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:

No, that is a QDEO feature.
No, Darbee is nothing like the older sharpening methods. People would not be as interested in it if it were. Previous edge enhancements techniques destroy fine detail in the image; you can see it in test patterns. The Darbee (Hidef mode, at least) does not do that.

-Bill

ugh. The color enhancer thing might be a dealbreaker 4 me.

TV; samsung 65F7100
post #3073 of 5276 Old 03-05-2014, 08:09 AM

Does darbee have any deep color modes? Also, when darbee is turned in does it clean up noise also?

TV; samsung 65F7100
post #3074 of 5276 Old 03-05-2014, 08:11 AM

No and no! It does its own unique thing eek.gif
It would actually not work well with a noisy picture as it would emphasize the noise.

You'd have to see one in action to understand. I had to. Feed it a good high res clean picture, that's what it likes.
post #3075 of 5276 Old 03-05-2014, 08:29 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Typo?
Quote:

Does darbee have any deep color modes? Also, when darbee is turned in does it clean up noise also?

The first post in this thread has links to Darbee reviews. If you are considering it you should look at those first. Also the Darblet thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet

The Darbee effect works best on good images. It doesn't improve poor images as well (or sometimes at all).

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3076 of 5276 Old 03-05-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 306
No, Ive found with normal HD the Darbee actually can make things worse, even on high def 35%. Things like compression noise on walls are made worse and easily proven by cutting it on and off.

65" VT50 / BDT460
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #3077 of 5276 Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

just to clear things up, does the 103D have the "color enhancement" option that the 103 has? i really like that feature on the 103 but i want to get the darbee addition. also, some people say that if you increase sharpness on the 103 it creats a darbee-like affect, but is the darbee affect much more than just an increase in sharpness on the 103?

Does the BDP-103D still have QDEO?
No. The Marvell QDEO processor has been completely removed from the player and replaced by the Darbee and the VRS solutions. The VRS handles 4K scaling, Detail Enhancement and Edge Enhancement processing, while the Darbee handles just Darbee processing.

Since there is no longer a QDEO processor, will there be a loss of picture quality and accuracy?
No. Like the current BDP-103, the BDP-103D uses the MediaTek SOC for all de-interlacing, scaling (to 1080p) and general video processing. So when the Darbee is set to OFF, the BDP-103D and the BDP-103 offer identical video performance.

Arguably, the HDMI 1 output of the BDP-103D will be better than the HDMI 1 output of the BDP-103 as some people observed a slightly less sharp image using HDMI 1. This was due to the QDEO enabling a small amount of Noise Reduction to this interface. Without the QDEO processor, there is no Noise Reduction defaulted to the HDMI 1 output, so some perceived increase in sharpness may be observed.
post #3078 of 5276 Old 03-05-2014, 01:30 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Typo?

Oops. Fixed.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3079 of 5276 Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Typo?

Lol. For a moment there I thought uh? Let me try it again on those VHS tapes biggrin.gif
post #3080 of 5276 Old 03-06-2014, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi guys ,

Need a question answered please , thanks wink.gif

In the picture control section is the "Hue" backwards ?

Move to the right makes it green and to the left makes it red , every tv and dvd player I have ever owned was the other way around.

Right = Red / Left = Green

If it had a knob turn right for red , left for green ( yes I am that old !! LOL ) smile.gif

Later biggrin.gif

Gary 
post #3081 of 5276 Old 03-06-2014, 05:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

I have never head that the direction of the control was standardized.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3082 of 5276 Old 03-06-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have never head that the direction of the control was standardized.

-Bill

Hi Bill ,

It might not be standardized , however the 103D is the first I have seen the Hue control the opposite to what I have always seen.

Please tell me , does your Oppo / Hue control work the same , green=right / red=left ?

I just don`t want to live with a unit that is busted !!

Thank you for your time ! smile.gif

Gary 
post #3083 of 5276 Old 03-06-2014, 10:27 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hi Bill ,

It might not be standardized , however the 103D is the first I have seen the Hue control the opposite to what I have always seen.

Please tell me , does your Oppo / Hue control work the same , green=right / red=left ?

I just don`t want to live with a unit that is busted !!

Thank you for your time ! smile.gif

Gary 

If I remember I will check next time I'm using it, but the notion that your player is busted because the Hue control works in a different direction than you expect...is not plausible.

Anyway: the standard advice is to leave those controls at zero and make calibration adjustments in the display.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3084 of 5276 Old 03-06-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Bill ,

Thanks for taking the time to check for me.

You are right , all adjustments I have made as far as picture adjustments have been made on my F8000.

I have slightly adjusted VRS Video Smoothing to a value of 2

Darbee settings that I use are 35% Hi-Def for Blu-Ray and 45% for Full Pop -- SD/ dvd`s.

Thanks again for your time and help.

Later biggrin.gif

Gary 
post #3085 of 5276 Old 03-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator1634 View Post

ok thanks its not that big of a deal as i could just have the sound output with the Marantz as that seems to works fine.

I have one more question I'm considering getting netflix utilizing the oppo but will the movies look (1080p)and sound (surround sound)as good as a dvd disc?

There is something behind the scene going on with Netflix.
Some titles play great while another title is too bad quality in the same night and same time. If it was the internet provider then why one plays good and the other is worst than DVD?
Also I have tested the same title playing by my TV with HD quality and then tested the same title with my OPPO with not even DVD quality, again same night and same time.

For sure Netflix is the one to blame for such bad qualities or at least not coordinating with OPPO.
post #3086 of 5276 Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

They have had a quality drop off recently because of exceeding bandwidth on a system they dont control. Thats why you are seeing all these deals recently where they are agreeing to pay the likes of COmcast a fee to ensure bandwidth on their network.

I can barely get over 480p right now, it sucks.

65" VT50 / BDT460
post #3087 of 5276 Old 03-06-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guy`s ,

I don`t have "Netflix" , but I do have VUDU and Amazon Prime , on my F8000 and of course the VUDU app on the Oppo.

VUDU lets you choose what quality you want SD / HD / HDX ( 1080p ) and as far as Amazon the on-screen display will let you know if it`s SD / HD 720 or 1080p.

Does Netflix not have such a system to let you know what quality you are watching ?

Please reply , thanks , as I would not be happy with a streaming service that does not display the quality of the image in some way or another.

Later and thanks again biggrin.gif

Me 
post #3088 of 5276 Old 03-06-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Netflix is variable streaming depending on the network. Since what they stream goes across the likes of Comcast, ATT, etc... and is using gobs of bandwidth, these providers are putting the clamps down.

65" VT50 / BDT460
post #3089 of 5276 Old 03-06-2014, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just ordered the BDP-103D and I would like to know what Darbee mode is good for watching dvds?
post #3090 of 5276 Old 03-06-2014, 11:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage View Post

I just ordered the BDP-103D and I would like to know what Darbee mode is good for watching dvds?

I leave it on HiDef, same as for Blu-ray, but FullPop is worth trying. I believe it adds some edge enhancement, which would be more like traditional sharpening, in addition to the Darbee effect.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page