Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Using the Oppo's test tones, should the subwoofer level be set 10 db higher than the speaker I'm using as the 'control'? I'm using my front right and setting my other channels relative to it. I'm being careful not to let the Oppo go over 0dB on it's trim settings.
Analog outs to my AVR.
lanping09 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalugadp View Post

Ok ,
When I configure my Logitech universal remote will I be able to select the input different choices ? Just trying to keep it easy for my wife. Currently I just have to hit movies on my logitech remote and it does all the legwork .
Thanks for your help wink.gif

With proper programming of the Logitech, yes. When doing it manually the Input button on the remote brings up a pop up list of input choices The top line is "Blu-ray Player", i.e., normal operation.

When using programmable remote, the two button sequence Input-number will select the "number" line from that pop-up. I.e., Input-1 selects Blu-ray Player.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3153 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post

Using the Oppo's test tones, should the subwoofer level be set 10 db higher than the speaker I'm using as the 'control'? I'm using my front right and setting my other channels relative to it. I'm being careful not to let the Oppo go over 0dB on it's trim settings.
Analog outs to my AVR.

No. Set the Sub trim to produce the same output level as your other speakers.

The Sub output needs boost to match the other speakers, but when the proper boost is applied the output levels ARE matched.

Now the needed amount of Sub boost is best applied external to the player -- i.e., using the volume knob on the sub itself. If you are running the sub signal through an AVR, the AVR is likely already providing the "standard" boost of +10dB.

So lets say you use Left Front as your reference and with 0dB volume trim in the OPPO it produces 75dB SPL output level. Just set the Sub volume trim to 0dB and adjust the volume knob on the Sub until you also have 75dB SPL. Voila! It doesn't matter whether you are running the signal through the AVR or not -- the goal is to get the levels MATCHED and that's what you've now accomplished.

If you change from all speakers LARGE to some speakers SMALL you will need to redo this level adjustment for the Sub as the amount of boost needed changes in that case.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3154 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The Sub output needs boost to match the other speakers, but when the proper boost is applied the output levels ARE matched.

Now the needed amount of Sub boost is best applied external to the player -- i.e., using the volume knob on the sub itself. If you are running the sub signal through an AVR, the AVR is likely already providing the "standard" boost of +10dB.

So lets say you use Left Front as your reference and with 0dB volume trim in the OPPO it produces 75dB SPL output level. Just set the Sub volume trim to 0dB and adjust the volume knob on the Sub until you also have 75dB SPL. Voila! It doesn't matter whether you are running the signal through the AVR or not -- the goal is to get the levels MATCHED and that's what you've now accomplished.

If you change from all speakers LARGE to some speakers SMALL you will need to redo this level adjustment for the Sub as the amount of boost needed changes in that case.
--Bob

Thanks, Bob. I'm running the multi-channel analog outputs and am running ALL my speakers as small. In that case, is that where the amount of boost should be 10db? If so, I will do that on the sub's volume control
post #3155 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

Ok ,
When I configure my Logitech universal remote will I be able to select the input different choices ? Just trying to keep it easy for my wife. Currently I just have to hit movies on my logitech remote and it does all the legwork .

Yes. I have a Logitech One and have just integrated the 103D.

When you configure the One, on the logitech page, select the 103D as a device (it comes up as a media device, not a bluray player) and you do your "watch TV function", it will prompt you for your choices.

One of the choices is to select the input -during activities: for "watch TV" I select the back HDMI input, since I have my cable box coming in through there. For "watch movies" I select BD as input. Both work well, just takes a bit longer when starting the "watch TV" function since another device is in the pipeline.

Both work well and are reliable.
chalugadp likes this.
post #3156 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

When you configure the One, on the logitech page, select the 103D as a device (it comes up as a media device, not a bluray player) and you do your "watch TV function", it will prompt you for your choices.

One of the choices is to select the input -during activities: for "watch TV" I select the back HDMI input, since I have my cable box coming in through there. For "watch movies" I select BD as input. Both work well, just takes a bit longer when starting the "watch TV" function since another device is in the pipeline.

Hernanu, what kind of delays are you putting in your One between power on and input selection?
post #3157 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:

Hernanu, what kind of delays are you putting in your One between power on and input selection?

Haven't had to put any delays in. I haven't played with delays much, since it has worked well so far. Only had one time I used the help button, but you periodically have to do that.

I'm sure if it got annoying, I would use delays, but on the whole - no real problem.
post #3158 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

--Bob

Thanks, Bob. I'm running the multi-channel analog outputs and am running ALL my speakers as small. In that case, is that where the amount of boost should be 10db? If so, I will do that on the sub's volume control

If any speakers are Small, the Analog Subwoofer RCA jack needs +15dB boost to match the level of the other RCA jacks. If you are running the Analog Sub signal through an AVR, odds are it is already getting +10dB boost added by the AVR -- meaning you only need an additional +5dB boost from the Sub's volume knob. Some AVRs even have adjustable boost levels for different, common configurations (0dB, +5dB, +10db -- the default, and +15dB).

Note that if you play an SACD with DSD-Direct-to-Analog conversion in effect, no audio processing can happen in the player. In particular, Crossover processing can't happen. And thus the player is operating as if all your speakers were set to LARGE. When all speakers are LARGE the Analog Sub output needs +10dB boost, so the Sub volume knob setting you set in your Small speaker configuration would no longer be correct. To avoid having to keep adjusting things, use SACD Output PCM, which lets the player do all its normal audio processing.

Again, keep in mind that when things are set correctly, the output level of the Sub will MATCH the other speakers (when tested with Test Tones or a calibration disc). That is, the end result is that the Sub should sound the same as the main speakers, not 10dB (or whatever) louder.

To test your SACD playback levels, you can use tracks 43-48 of the 5.1 layer of "Stay in Tune With PentaTone", SACD.

TECHIE NOTE: There's an attribute of a good listening room called Room Gain which has the effect of increasing bass levels a couple dB. Movie mixers assume home listening rooms will have about 2-4dB of Room Gain. Thus you may find that you like your bass better if the Sub is set to be, say, 2 to 3 dB hotter than the mains. With a calibrated mic and measuring tools you can find out what's really going on in your room, but most folks don't go that far. The point is, it's OK if you find you like your sub to be set a couple dB hot. Other folks have rooms with significant bass response issues and find they need to turn down the sub (i.e., since they don't know how to address the room issues). It's not uncommon for Subs to show even a 12dB swing across bass frequencies affected by room geometry. If the peaks are in frequencies typically prominent in movie tracks (e.g., 50 Hz for explosions) you might find your Sub sounds too strong even though it measures as being at the right level using a sound meter (which averages a wide range of frequencies). Truly proper bass setup is a complicated topic.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

post #3159 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1172
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

exactly what i needed,
post #3160 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Ok ,
If you have problems setting it up correctly,delete all your devices and activities and re do everything.For the longest time I could not get my One set up. It works perfectly now!

-SAMSUNG UN607150/OPPO BDP 103D
-ENERGY RC-50 FRONTS
-ENERGY RC-LCR CENTER
-ENERGY RC-10 SURROUNDS
-PSA XV15se
-PIONEER ELITE SC-25/ADCOM GFA-5300
post #3161 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I have a BDP-103D, as well as a BDP-93, I'm interested in purchasing a PAL CD/DVD set. I've looked on the OPPO website for confirmation that one or both of my players will play this CD/DVD set before purchasing. I don't see PAL listed as a compatible format. 

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/blu-ray-BDP-103D-Features.aspx

Can anyone confirm that the OPPO players will or will not play the PAL CD/DVD? I am located in the US.

Thanks

post #3162 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 03:01 PM

I have a 103D and 93 player. I'd like to purchase a CD/DCD PAL combo set. I've looked on the OPPO website and don't see PAL listed as a compatible format for these players. Can someone confirm that these players will or will not play the PAL CD/DVD? TIA

post #3163 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 03:10 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayertonsenna View Post

I have a 103D and 93 player. I'd like to purchase a CD/DCD PAL combo set. I've looked on the OPPO website and don't see PAL listed as a compatible format for these players. Can someone confirm that these players will or will not play the PAL CD/DVD? TIA

Welcome to AVSForum.

As it says on the page you linked:
Quote:
PAL/NTSC Conversion - The BDP-103D supports NTSC and PAL systems for both disc playback and video output. It can also convert content of one system for output in another. (Subject to DVD and BD region restrictions.)

The player does support PAL DVDs, but it is not region free. Some imports are all-region but others aren't.

There is a free firmware patch called Superdisc which will make the player region free for DVDs; it has no effect on Blu-rays. See the FAQ for details: Region Free Modifications.

-Bill
David Susilo and lanping09 like this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #3164 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 03:14 PM

Thank you very much...embarrassed that I didn't see that!

post #3165 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I'm sure that this has been asked 10 times or more already on this thread, but this is an epic long thread and I have not been able to find an answer in it. So, I apologize. Sumimasen.

The question is this...

As a happy owner of an Oppo BDP-80, who has zero interest in 3-D, is it worth it to upgrade to a 103D (or a 103-non-D) for improvements in 2-D picture quality and functionality? Including old-school DVD upscaling. Old-school DVD up-scaling is quite important,

This is a fairly urgent question, because I have an appointment with ChadB to calibrate my panel in April, and I want him to calibrate it with the player I will be living with. I do NOT want to get my panel calibrated by ChadB, and then later replace the player. It's now or never for me.

I'm way, way open and non-resistant to replacing my BDP-80 if there would be an improvement to 2-D PQ or functionality. But, I don't want to churn things pointlessly.

As a completely separate, bonus question, have you any advice, or personal preferences, on the BDP-103 versus the BDP-103D? Especially as it regards upscaling old-school DVDs.

Very respectfully, and thank you.
post #3166 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 429
1. Yes, from the 80 to 103D there is a huge jump
2. Get the 103D instead of 103. The VRS chip alone, let alone Darbee, creates a noticable jump between 103 to 103D.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #3167 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post

I'm sure that this has been asked 10 times or more already on this thread, but this is an epic long thread and I have not been able to find an answer in it. So, I apologize. Sumimasen.

The question is this...

As a happy owner of an Oppo BDP-80, who has zero interest in 3-D, is it worth it to upgrade to a 103D (or a 103-non-D) for improvements in 2-D picture quality and functionality? Including old-school DVD upscaling. Old-school DVD up-scaling is quite important,

This is a fairly urgent question, because I have an appointment with ChadB to calibrate my panel in April, and I want him to calibrate it with the player I will be living with. I do NOT want to get my panel calibrated by ChadB, and then later replace the player. It's now or never for me.

I'm way, way open and non-resistant to replacing my BDP-80 if there would be an improvement to 2-D PQ or functionality. But, I don't want to churn things pointlessly.

As a completely separate, bonus question, have you any advice, or personal preferences, on the BDP-103 versus the BDP-103D? Especially as it regards upscaling old-school DVDs.

Very respectfully, and thank you.

as a 103 owner, i can tell u the main difference is that the 103 has a color enhancer setting and the 103D does not. prefer to have the color enhancer, which is why i decided not to return my 103 and get the darbee edition.

TV; samsung 65F7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #3168 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 09:37 PM

^^ The two replies above, somewhat differ regarding the 103 versus the 103D.

Interesting... And differing opinions are welcomed.

Any other comments?
post #3169 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:

As far as display calibration, the Oppos are all identical, makes no difference which one you use. He won't use the player anyhow, he'll have a signal generator. Have him calibrate each input on the display the same.

For BD, the 80 and 103/D are more alike than not unless you want to fiddle with settings and tweak things. As a transport they are much the same. The 103 will have a softer image on DVD than the 80, the 103D not so much. Scaling of DVD is very slightly better on the 103 or 103D.
lanping09 likes this.
post #3170 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 PM

if you dont want color enhancement feature, id probably go 103D just because its newer technology. but the 103 has indeed make a great difference in my blu ray and cable tv picture. you can go into the oppo 103 thread and check out all the before/after pix i posted like 12 lol

TV; samsung 65F7100
post #3171 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

if you dont want color enhancement feature, id probably go 103D just because its newer technology. but the 103 has indeed make a great difference in my blu ray and cable tv picture. you can go into the oppo 103 thread and check out all the before/after pix i posted like 12 lol

How did you get a cable TV picture improvement?

I know that the unit has an HDMI-2 pass through, but I thought that it was passive, with no processing.

This could be interesting for me...
post #3172 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:

I know that the unit has an HDMI-2 pass through, but I thought that it was passive, with no processing.

its actually quite easy. you dont need to use HDMI2 for anything, your cable box is hooked into your HDMI IN port, then you send the cable from HDMI1 to your AVR or TV if you dont have an avr. then your just select on the remote if you want to use the blu ray port or the HDMI1(cable).

TV; samsung 65F7100
post #3173 of 5990 Old 03-11-2014, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Anyone with a 103D in the Phoenix area that can PM me to answer a couple of questions?

Thanks.
post #3174 of 5990 Old 03-12-2014, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just received my 103D and can't get the remote to work. Thought the batteries that came with the unit was bad so I put in a fresh set of batteries - still no joy. Oddly the only button that works on the remote is the one that turns on the backlight. I tried the remote from my OPPO 93 and it works perfectly but of course does not have the special buttons on the 103D remote.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there something special I need to do to get the remote to work? What is the likelyhood I got shipped a bum remote (from OPPO through Amazon)?

As an aside - anyone interested in a seldom used OPPO 93 (pre Cinivia)
post #3175 of 5990 Old 03-12-2014, 06:03 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmassie View Post

Just received my 103D and can't get the remote to work. Thought the batteries that came with the unit was bad so I put in a fresh set of batteries - still no joy. Oddly the only button that works on the remote is the one that turns on the backlight. I tried the remote from my OPPO 93 and it works perfectly but of course does not have the special buttons on the 103D remote.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there something special I need to do to get the remote to work? What is the likelyhood I got shipped a bum remote (from OPPO through Amazon)?

Is the code set the same in the two remotes? That's the little switch inside the battery compartment.

Else contact OPPO support.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #3176 of 5990 Old 03-12-2014, 06:07 AM

Did not realize there was a switch in the battery compartment> Will check when I get home this evening - thanks
post #3177 of 5990 Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

Just in case Ray's post was not clear, the Oppo processes the video, not just passes it through.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
post #3178 of 5990 Old 03-12-2014, 09:08 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

as a 103 owner, i can tell u the main difference is that the 103 has a color enhancer setting and the 103D does not. prefer to have the color enhancer, which is why i decided not to return my 103 and get the darbee edition.

Shadowspawn, It may be worth mentioning that a professional calibrator is unlikely to implement the QDEO's color enhancer as part of your set up. I too really enjoy the color on the 103, but the 103D with the Darbee gives you a tool that allows you to adjust the picture quite a bit from source to source without really messing up any of the other calibrations (unless you go completely overboard, of course).

I prefer the 103D because if forced to choose, I favor a sharper picture with more fine detail compared with a smoother one with more pleasing saturation. In virtually all other respects, the players are the same.

post #3179 of 5990 Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 PM

Dual picture HDMI output HD audio question

I currently use a Sony S790 with dual HDMI out. HDMI2 to the Amp (NAD T775HD, not 3D capable, then to the TV) and the primary HDMI1 to an Epson TW8200 (5030UB) projector. Unless I choose split AV mode on the HDMI outputs, the player defaults to 2-channel LPCM when playing blurays with HD soundtracks.

Problem: if I forget to unsplit the outputs after using the projector the rest of the family have problems watching TV the next day as there is no picture from HDMI2. I assume the Epson projector not being HD audio aware causes the player to default to 2 channels.

Question: from experience, will the 103D likely default to 2 channels in dual picture HDMI mode in this type of set-up? Or will it manage to send a HD multi-channel audio to the amp?

On page 53 of the manual it says a stereo audio signal may result, “Dual Display – Send digital audio and video signals to both HDMI Outputs simultaneously. This setting is only recommended when two HDMI displays are required, since the surround sound audio signal may be down-mixed to stereo and the original audio quality may be lost.” However, this advice is contradicted by everyone trying to sell me an Oppo.

Thanks in advance. Nij.
post #3180 of 5990 Old 03-12-2014, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hi Guy`s ,

I don`t have "Netflix" , but I do have VUDU and Amazon Prime , on my F8000 and of course the VUDU app on the Oppo.

VUDU lets you choose what quality you want SD / HD / HDX ( 1080p ) and as far as Amazon the on-screen display will let you know if it`s SD / HD 720 or 1080p.

Does Netflix not have such a system to let you know what quality you are watching ?

Please reply , thanks , as I would not be happy with a streaming service that does not display the quality of the image in some way or another.

Later and thanks again biggrin.gif

Me 
Netflix also displays HD status. SuperHD if you're lucky.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page