post #3422 of 5353 Old 03-29-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

^^^^^^ Thanks! If it gives me anything close to what I see on Netflix and Youtube through the 103D- I'll be more than satisfied. I'm at this point very much used to the superior upscaling of the Oppo combined with the darbee and anything less than that is unacceptable.

So what are my options if Oppo's doesn't have it in stock anymore? The new one won't work for me since I don't want to add another remote to my one too many as it is. Do you think they'll get more in stock or is this version out of the Roku product cycle completely since it was replaced?

If you are really bothered about remotes then why not get a universal remote ... Rather than compromising on performance. The roku stick is underpowered and slow just like the new HDMI version of the stick.

Btw the YouTube on the Oppo native is pretty horrible. The apps takes forever to load and scrolling around is painful and slow.

For best quality and performance get a Roku 3. YouTube and Netflix is lightspeed. Amazon is great.
post #3423 of 5353 Old 03-29-2014, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

What's everyone's opinion about the Roku Stick? I just signed up for Amazon prime but have been less than enthused about the PQ from my Panasonic 65VT60's app menu. I'm considering purchasing the Roku if it'll improve the PQ of prime streaming with the 103D. Any other advantages of owning the Roku otherwise as well?
The Roku stick is wi-fi only. If you want the best possible picture quality, you want the highest bandwidth and lowest latency you can get, to ensure the fastest and stablest ramp up to the top streams. Which would mean a Roku 3 plugged into the HDMI input of the 103D.

Another advantage of the Roku is HBO GO for Game of Thrones and True Blood, and other channels. The Oppo doesn't seem to support adding channels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3424 of 5353 Old 03-29-2014, 05:56 PM

I have just got my BDP-103D player, unboxed it and set it up. However, I was under the impression that although the unit is not Blu-ray Zone Free (you need the hardware upgrade for that), however it was DVD Region Free. I have just inserted a non-local DVD into the player and it rejects it!?
post #3425 of 5353 Old 03-29-2014, 06:03 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckoNZ View Post

I have just got my BDP-103D player, unboxed it and set it up. However, I was under the impression that although the unit is not Blu-ray Zone Free (you need the hardware upgrade for that), however it was DVD Region Free. I have just inserted a non-local DVD into the player and it rejects it!?

No, it's not region-free for DVD either. But there is a free software mod to make it so. See the FAQ: Region Free Modifications

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3426 of 5353 Old 03-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 880
^ The player as manufactured by OPPO is not Region Free for either Blu-ray or SD-DVD -- Blu-ray licensing prohibits it. However, there is a simple solution for SD-DVD which involves briefly playing a disc, called the SuperDisc, that make a simple software modification. In some parts of the world, and I believe that includes where you are in New Zealand, dealers are required to sell the player as SD-DVD Region Free, so check to see if that update disc was included with your player. If not, details for how create the update disc yourself are in the FAQ -- see the link at the top of the first post in the BDP-103 owners thread.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #3427 of 5353 Old 03-29-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau 
In some parts of the world, and I believe that includes where you are in New Zealand, dealers are required to sell the player as SD-DVD Region Free, so check to see if that update disc was included with your player.

Bob, can I ask where you got this information from? I would love to know this, to support any future dealings with my local supplier. The former New Zealand distributor was selling the BDP-103D as DVD Region Free "out of the box":
http://www.rapalloav.co.nz/blu-ray-players/oppo-blu-ray-players/oppo-bdp-103dau-3d-blu-ray-disc-player.html

Nope, the disc definitely wasn't included. I am aware of the SuperDisc tool, however I'm sure you can appreciate, I don't really want to use something like this and potentially "brick" my player.
post #3428 of 5353 Old 03-29-2014, 06:30 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckoNZ View Post

Nope, the disc definitely wasn't included. I am aware of the SuperDisc tool, however I'm sure you can appreciate, I don't really want to use something like this and potentially "brick" my player.

I've used it on every OPPO Blu-ray player without issue.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3429 of 5353 Old 03-29-2014, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the feedback team. I am emailed the current New Zealand distributor for comment. I may have to use the SuperDisc tool as a "fall back".
post #3430 of 5353 Old 03-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ If they are shipping it as Region Free for SD-DVD, then odds are they are simply loading the SuperDisc change into the player before shipping it to you. Which would mean in your case that they slipped up and forgot to do that.
--Bob

post #3431 of 5353 Old 03-29-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:

I guess the MHL version is the Roku 3400M. The price has gone up and I thought Oppo sold it for $39.99 a while back or was it always $49.99?

The MHL Stick retailed for $99, Oppo has always sold it for $49 to owners and buyers.
post #3432 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 195
^ actually that's not entirely true. There was two versions of the MHL stick that were made available.

$129.99 3400R that comes with the RF game remote.
$69.99 3400M that comes with no remote and therefore one must use either the roku ready device remote or the roku app remote for control.

Oppo sold the 3400M version at a discounted price.

Both versions are purple. At one point Roku planned to distinguish the two versions with different part numbers and colors.

3420 = 3400R black
3400 = 3400M purple

But as far as I'm aware the black 3420 was never made available.
post #3433 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 134
^ There are more than just those 2 models. In fact mine says "3400X" on it.
I have no idea what would be the difference between the model #s if anything.
AFAIK, they can all be used with either a Roku remote OR the remote of the "Roku Ready" device that it's plugged into.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #3434 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Hi
Can the de-interlacing and Darbee processing be applied to the signal from the HDMI input? e.g. a Set Top Box?

I would imagine the answer is yes, but this section of the manual threw me off :

De-interlacing Mode – Allows you to select the algorithm that the player should use to convert
interlaced video on a DVD or Blu-ray Disc to progressive output

thanks
post #3435 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crussell1492 View Post

Hi
Can the de-interlacing and Darbee processing be applied to the signal from the HDMO input? e.g. a Set Top Box?
thanks

Yes, but sat/cable boxes don't generally offer interlaced output, its pretty much all going to be progressive. A few offer "native" output, many don't.
post #3436 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I wouldn't want my cable box de-interlacing 1080i, because they typically don't do a great job. I think most have the option to pass it through.
post #3437 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

I wouldn't want my cable box de-interlacing 1080i, because they typically don't do a great job. I think most have the option to pass it through.

I was referring to SD content, not 1080i content. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
post #3438 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Read the FAQ!

The Motorola boxes used by Comcast can output straight HDMI 480i for SD channels. And a good thing too, as their de-interlaced 480p output is pretty bad. And even worse if you let them upscale.

That said the quality of the 480i Comcast delivers for many SD channels is truly dreadful before it even gets to your box. The difference between their best and worst SD channels is astounding.
--Bob

post #3439 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 03:53 PM

Feedback from the New Zealand Oppo distributor:
"We are not permitted under Oppo's distribution agreement to supply their players either Blu-Ray or DVD region free... For your information there has been no official Oppo distributor in this country prior to us taking on the brand two years ago, only a reseller who was buying stock out of the USA and was therefore exempt from Oppo's rules around de-zoning players."

He also made "passing remarks" about the SuperDisc tool. So, I'll give it a go tonight.
post #3440 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Oppo 103D is Acting all Weird since the latest Firmware I download yesterday, I downloaded the Update to PC via wi-fi , then to a usb stick , then to oppo , everything seemed to go fine. Now when watching cable box through Back hdmi, when i press Darbee nothing appears like before , when i change Inputs back to Bluray OFF ilghts up on front of 103D , try the Open button on remote -nothing ??

Can i download again using a direct internet connection and re-install ??
post #3441 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is darbee processing applied to Netflix and streamed material via dlna?

Also I've got my TiVo in the back hdmi and can't get it to work with my harmony touch. Just won't select the back input even though I've specified iit in the activity. Any ideas?

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #3442 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 06:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

Oppo 103D is Acting all Weird since the latest Firmware I download yesterday, I downloaded the Update to PC via wi-fi , then to a usb stick , then to oppo , everything seemed to go fine. Now when watching cable box through Back hdmi, when i press Darbee nothing appears like before , when i change Inputs back to Bluray OFF ilghts up on front of 103D , try the Open button on remote -nothing ??

Can i download again using a direct internet connection and re-install ??

The firmware on the USB stick is validated before the install, so it is unlikely you got a bad copy installed.

You won't be able to do a network update to redo the install, but of course you can download a fresh copy to your USB stick and redo it that way.

I'm not quite sure of the sequence of events you are reporting, but it sounds like you had a player crash. This might have been due to a wall power glitch or something happening over the HDMI from the cable box.

To get a fresh start, try unplugging the player for about 10 seconds and then see if things are back to normal. If so, and i the problem doesn't repeat, then don't worry about it.
--Bob
sutton8 likes this.

post #3443 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sutton8 View Post

Is darbee processing applied to Netflix and streamed material via dlna?

Also I've got my TiVo in the back hdmi and can't get it to work with my harmony touch. Just won't select the back input even though I've specified iit in the activity. Any ideas?

Yes, Darbee processing is applied to all video content including Netflix and DLNA streamed content, however the Internet apps (like Netflix) seize control of the user interface and won't let you get to the Darbee settings. So you need to establish the Darbee settings you want and then launch Netflix.

You can enable a Demo Mode in Darbee (swipe screen or split screen) to prove to yourself that Darbee truly is functioning in such cases.

As for your issue with the Harmony, first try with the regular OPPO remote to make sure what you are attempting to do really works. For example you can't change Inputs while viewing Netflix for the same reason as above -- the Netflix app won't let you get to that part of the user interface. If it works with the regular remote but does not work via the Harmony then the usual reason would be you need to adjust the "delays" in the Harmony configuration. There are various types of delay in the Harmony. For example there's a minimum time delay between sending commands to the same device, or a minimum delay after powering up, or a minimum delay after selecting an "input".
--Bob
sutton8 likes this.

post #3444 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Your right again Bob !, unplugged it for a little and problems resolved !!

Is there a certain order in which i should power up all A/V components to avoid this happening again ?

We're lucky to have u here Bob !!

Thanks !
post #3445 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have a maratnz pm6005 that comes with a cirrus logic dac but I want to try the oppo dac. How can I bypass my marantz dac and have only the oppos dac do the converting?

also is it worth getting this for disc playing purposes for better audio sound over my ps 4 that I have? Would there be an imptovement?
post #3446 of 5353 Old 03-30-2014, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

The firmware on the USB stick is validated before the install, so it is unlikely you got a bad copy installed.

You won't be able to do a network update to redo the install, but of course you can download a fresh copy to your USB stick and redo it that way.

I'm not quite sure of the sequence of events you are reporting, but it sounds like you had a player crash. This might have been due to a wall power glitch or something happening over the HDMI from the cable box.

To get a fresh start, try unplugging the player for about 10 seconds and then see if things are back to normal. If so, and i the problem doesn't repeat, then don't worry about it.
--Bob

Sorry I thanked the wrong post. I did wonder why the darbee screen was not coming up when streaming Netflix. Logitech were supposed to have sorted out the delays for the Oppo due it's boot time. Apparently not. It does work if I manually select the back input but just not as part of an activity.

Anthem MRX 710 : Monitor Audio Apex 5-A40 : Paradigm Seismic 110 : Panasonic TX-P65VT65B : Oppo 103D
post #3447 of 5353 Old 03-31-2014, 06:17 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ If the Harmony timing problem is only happening at power up, try setting Quick Start in Setup > Device Setup.
--Bob

post #3448 of 5353 Old 03-31-2014, 06:22 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

Your right again Bob !, unplugged it for a little and problems resolved !!

Is there a certain order in which i should power up all A/V components to avoid this happening again ?

We're lucky to have u here Bob !!

Thanks !
It did not sound to me like your problem was due to order of power on, but the usual recommendation for HDMI is to power on devices in the reverse order of the signal flow -- allowing each to boot up before moving on to the next.

Often it is simply more convenient to just force a new HDMI handshake if a problem arises. For example switch input and back on the OPPO, or on your AVR, or on your Display. Or use the Resolution button on the OPPO remote to change to 1080i and back to 1080p.
--Bob

post #3449 of 5353 Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I have this hooked to my Pioneer Elite VSX-74TVi. Currently, I have all the speakers in the Oppo set to large and let the Pioneer control the crossover to the sub via MCACC. I have a pair of large Klipsches (KG 5.5) and matching center up front as well as Klipsch book shelves on the surrounds. I have ALL of the speakers set to small in the Pioneer. My sub is one of the early SVS (serial number 16) models.

First question is would there by ANY difference in sound made by letting the Oppo control the crossover and setting the speakers to large in my receiver?

Second question, should I set all the speakers to small EXCEPT the tower left/rights?
post #3450 of 5353 Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 AM

It's happening more than at just startup. I did enable the quick start. Just doesn't seem to like selecting the back Input for some reason. Some more playing around necessary.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page