Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3601 of 5522 Old 04-10-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 93
"Needed" is your call. Darbee works differently than Reality Creation, so it may be useful in situations as a replacement for or in addition to Reality Creation.

Build Thread: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 5522 Old 04-10-2014, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Guys

Just popped in say hello ordered a 103D today should have it Friday replaces my Onkyo BDSP809 my fingers are crossed that the CD sound will be good biggrin.gif

Cheers

Allan
post #3603 of 5522 Old 04-10-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 34
CD sound will be fine , get a good nights sleep !!

Read the manual and do the firmware update ( all of them )

It`s a good player !

If you have 3D and if you have Avatar 3D , it is amazing biggrin.gif

Later ,

Me 
post #3604 of 5522 Old 04-10-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

CD sound will be fine , get a good nights sleep !!

Read the manual and do the firmware update ( all of them )

It`s a good player !

If you have 3D and if you have Avatar 3D , it is amazing biggrin.gif

Later ,

Me 

Yep i have Avatar 3D love the soundtrack look forward to seeing it on the new player

Do you use Darbee on 3D source never thought about that lol

Allan
post #3605 of 5522 Old 04-10-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Allan,
Yes I do use darbee , I use about 35% for 3D & Blueray , and 45% for SD.

As u probably know , it is best to adjust all other video settings from your display , VSR adjust to taste !!

It's an ok player for the price , I just wish the transport was smoother , but it is just about the best u can get now a days !,,

I, m thinking back to my first DVD player , the Pioneer Elite DV09 , of course the video quality was not as good ( bad CUE ), but great transport.

Ok ,,

Later,

Gary (android doesn't have an Apple symbol )
post #3606 of 5522 Old 04-11-2014, 03:25 AM

Thanks for the info

Just laughing at your signature

Android no apple lol plenty droids cost a fair wedge now samsung galaxy s5

Allan
post #3607 of 5522 Old 04-11-2014, 07:08 AM

Forgive me if I am supposed to be responding to the last post but I was hoping to ask advice on a new question and I don't know how. You all seem to be extremely knowledgable and I would really appreciate your input!!!
I currently own a BDP-95 and am selling it tomorrow with the intention to replace it with a BDP-103D. I live in a condo and was not able to benefit from the 95's audio "dynamics" without annoying the neighbors so I thought it was a waste of money to keep it. I am hoping that the video in the 103-D will be better than the 95 which I was very pleased with. First off ,will it help the picture that I currently have with Directv by running through the Oppo and should I use the Darby hi def mode or pop-up to enhance it? Secondly I really thought the 95 did a GREAT job with just "regular DVD'S" but I have read a couple of people who have seemed to indicate that the 103D does not do a very good job with them. If I only had access to a dvd which sometimes happens should I use the Darby hi-def mode or pop-up mode?
post #3608 of 5522 Old 04-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikkiandkurt View Post

Forgive me if I am supposed to be responding to the last post but I was hoping to ask advice on a new question and I don't know how. You all seem to be extremely knowledgable and I would really appreciate your input!!!
I currently own a BDP-95 and am selling it tomorrow with the intention to replace it with a BDP-103D. I live in a condo and was not able to benefit from the 95's audio "dynamics" without annoying the neighbors so I thought it was a waste of money to keep it. I am hoping that the video in the 103-D will be better than the 95 which I was very pleased with. First off ,will it help the picture that I currently have with Directv by running through the Oppo and should I use the Darby hi def mode or pop-up to enhance it? Secondly I really thought the 95 did a GREAT job with just "regular DVD'S" but I have read a couple of people who have seemed to indicate that the 103D does not do a very good job with them. If I only had access to a dvd which sometimes happens should I use the Darby hi-def mode or pop-up mode?

First, the picture advantages of the 103D do not require the use of Darbee. Darbee processing is an extra goody -- you can just leave it off if you prefer. See my post at the top of this thread for my recommendations on how to use Darbee.

Second, it is pretty much a given that video processing in satellite/cable set top boxes is godawful. The real advantage of running their signal through the OPPO is when you configure them to BYPASS their own video processing. That means setting them to "native" video output, which sends out the same resolution as is coming in on the program you happen to be watching at the moment: 480i for SD channels, and 720p or 1080i for HD channels. That lets the OPPO do the heavy lifting (de-interlacing and scaling). Also if the DirecTV allows you to set its video output format, set that to YCbCr instead of RGB. Finally set audio output from the DirecTV to "Bitstream" (might be labeled Dolby Digital) so that you can get multi-channel audio into the OPPO from it. Note that with "native" video output from the DirecTV you will need to wait out an HDMI handshake each time the video resolution changes -- i.e., when you change channels. This is normal, so just be patient. You can avoid the handshakes by setting the DirecTV to fixed resolution output (i.e., 1080i), but then you don't get the advantage of letting the OPPO do the processing.

The 103D has better SD-DVD picture quality than the 95. Again, this is independent of whether you choose to add Darbee processing. For example, the 103D offers "non-ringing" up-scaling of SD video to 1080p.

Odds are you'll be quite happy with the new player, but of course if you run into any confusion, you can just ask here.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3609 of 5522 Old 04-11-2014, 11:02 AM

Bob, thank you soooo… much for the time you took to comfort me in my decision. Your willingness to share your expertise is greatly appreciated. Would you please advise me on the Darby settings( hi-def vs pop up for first, Directv then for regular DVD's. I know this is not what someone with your abilities would settle for but I hope to do something like set it for hi-def at 35% and leave it that for everything. I thought I read a review and the person said that might work reasonably well for a couple of "barn animals" like me and my wife. Is that reasonable to you for both Directv and DVD'S or what is your advice if not?
post #3610 of 5522 Old 04-11-2014, 11:15 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ See my comments on Darbee in post #3 at the top of this thread.

For a "set and forget" setting, I recommend 35% for Hi-def and 30% for Full Pop. I recommend Hi-def when viewing HD content and Full Pop when viewing SD content. For poor quality content, it is probably best to leave Darbee OFF. For high quality content, higher Darbee percentages will also work, but limit yourself to the lower percentages if you don't want to keep fiddling with the value.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3611 of 5522 Old 04-11-2014, 01:28 PM

Can I assume by your advise then that a HD broadcast program on Directv would then be set to the Darby hi -def setting while a standard def show on Directv should be switched to full pop? Forgive my ignorance here but is a DVD considered standard def to be set to full pop also?
post #3612 of 5522 Old 04-11-2014, 01:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes, and yes. And yes.
--Bob
allan0210 likes this.

post #3613 of 5522 Old 04-11-2014, 03:57 PM

Bob, If you ever get near Hendersonville N.C. I owe you lunch and a lot more. Thank you!!!
post #3614 of 5522 Old 04-11-2014, 04:14 PM

Liked: 10
Random question about the player--is there a setting that can be engaged which will force the auto-selection of the highest res audio codec for all sources?

For context, I've noticed that a few of my older blu rays ('The Dark Knight' is one, but I have a few others which I don't recall now) which are encoded with both a lossy Dolby Digital audio track as well a lossless TrueHD track. However, upon loading the disc and pressing 'PLAY', the lossy audio track is always engaged. I have to manually switch to the TruHD track either via the title menu or using the Audio button on the remote.

Presumably this is because these blurays were released early on in the formats history at a time when consumer equipment capable of decoding lossless wasn't as widespread.

Just wondering if there is any setting that can be engaged in the player that allows auto-selection of the highest quality track by default. I've not seen anything in the manual or in the FAQs posted to indicate this is possible, but wanted to just check with the knowledge base in this thread.

Thanks.
post #3615 of 5522 Old 04-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound76s View Post

Random question about the player--is there a setting that can be engaged which will force the auto-selection of the highest res audio codec for all sources?

For context, I've noticed that a few of my older blu rays ('The Dark Knight' is one, but I have a few others which I don't recall now) which are encoded with both a lossy Dolby Digital audio track as well a lossless TrueHD track. However, upon loading the disc and pressing 'PLAY', the lossy audio track is always engaged. I have to manually switch to the TruHD track either via the title menu or using the Audio button on the remote.

Presumably this is because these blurays were released early on in the formats history at a time when consumer equipment capable of decoding lossless wasn't as widespread.

Just wondering if there is any setting that can be engaged in the player that allows auto-selection of the highest quality track by default. I've not seen anything in the manual or in the FAQs posted to indicate this is possible, but wanted to just check with the knowledge base in this thread.

Thanks.

It's just the way the disc is authored, and there's nothing the player can do automatically to override the default audio track choice made by the studio. Blu-ray Certification requires the player to abide by the disc's defaults.

As for WHY the studios chose to do that, it's anybody's guess. The Blu-ray spec already provides a mechanism for handling the case where the disc by default (or the user by menu or button) selects a high bit-rate audio track when that can't be handled by the user's sound system. Every Blu-ray is required to have a "compatibility" audio track that gets used automatically if the AVR can't handle the lossless track (as discovered during the HDMI handshake). The compatibility track is traditional DD or DTS. So there's no point really in making a lesser quality track the default for the disc.

I've just always assumed that studio programmers are not the sharpest tools in the shed.
--Bob

post #3616 of 5522 Old 04-11-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

It's just the way the disc is authored, and there's nothing the player can do automatically to override the default audio track choice made by the studio. Blu-ray Certification requires the player to abide by the disc's defaults.

As for WHY the studios chose to do that, it's anybody's guess. The Blu-ray spec already provides a mechanism for handling the case where the disc by default (or the user by menu or button) selects a high bit-rate audio track when that can't be handled by the user's sound system. Every Blu-ray is required to have a "compatibility" audio track that gets used automatically if the AVR can't handle the lossless track (as discovered during the HDMI handshake). The compatibility track is traditional DD or DTS. So there's no point really in making a lesser quality track the default for the disc.

I've just always assumed that studio programmers are not the sharpest tools in the shed.
--Bob

Ha! Fair enough. Thanks for the lucid response.
post #3617 of 5522 Old 04-12-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
New owner of the 103D. First thing I tried was an MKV of a bd that had never played on my 83. The 103D played it flawlessly. Perfect!
post #3618 of 5522 Old 04-12-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Hello Oppo owners. I just rcvd the Frozen BD from a seller on Ebay. When I went to play it it said that it is a data disc and that I must play it through the music,,photo or movie icon. I tried all of them and did not work. I then tried the movie in an Sony player that I have and it played fine. Any ideas?? Thanks,Tim

-46" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103Dhttp://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
post #3619 of 5522 Old 04-12-2014, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tang7969 View Post

Hello Oppo owners. I just rcvd the Frozen BD from a seller on Ebay. When I went to play it it said that it is a data disc and that I must play it through the music,,photo or movie icon. I tried all of them and did not work. I then tried the movie in an Sony player that I have and it played fine. Any ideas?? Thanks,Tim
Held down the power button and now it plays!!! That never happened to me before.

-46" SAMSUNG-ENERGY RC-50'S-ENERGY RC-LCR-ENERGY RC-10'S-PSA XV15se-PIONEER ELITE SC-25-OPPO BDP 103Dhttp://www.avsforum.com/g/a/1459339/default/
post #3620 of 5522 Old 04-12-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:

Quote:

Held down the power button and now it plays!!! That never happened to me before.

It happens sometimes. Usually pretty easy to rectify by hitting stop and then play, or power cycling the player.
It is just a disc read error and I think caused by the advanced copy protection and who knows what else that put on the discs now.
They are always adding new coding to the discs to trip up people trying to make backup copies.
Of course they are never successful and end up just causing more issues for people who actually pay for them.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #3621 of 5522 Old 04-12-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Pay for movies eek.gif:thumbdown::what:confused.gif
post #3622 of 5522 Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Copy protection ? , You mean Macro-Vision !! LOL

Actually I read about Macro-Vision in a history book , I of course have no real first hand knowledge M-V or VHS for the matter !! wink.gif

Later , smile.gif

Me 
post #3623 of 5522 Old 04-13-2014, 02:19 PM

Question considering purchasing this player....I'm sure this question has been asked however I wish not to read the entire thread to find a response.....how would I connect my hdmi cables to run through the 103d instead of my receiver? Also would I need to have anything additional for my audio system to work such as an optimal cable for example... Thanks in advance for your response...

My Dungeon: 9.1set up
Panasonic zt65 (dedicated theatre room)
Yamaha rx3010, Hsu Vtf-15 subwoofer
2 Veritas 6.2 floor speakers
1 veritas 5.2center channel
2 veritas 5.1 front presence
2 veritas vs surrounds (side surrounds dipole or bipolar)
2 veritas minis rear presence
post #3624 of 5522 Old 04-13-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The Oppo BDP - 103D has 2 HDMI out , one for your tv and one for your receiver , if HDMI capable.

My amp is not , so I run an optical cable from my 103D to my DSP-A1G.

I get DTS / DD / PCM.

I hope this info helps ,

Gary 
post #3625 of 5522 Old 04-13-2014, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Finally had the chance to try out my new 5TB Toshiba Canvio with the Oppo 103D and it worked flawlessly. Tried it out with a couple 2D and 3D Blu ray rips in MKV format with no issues. PQ is amazing.

The Oppo 103D continues to amaze me and I'm just barely touching the surface with this player.............

Quick question: What is the proper way to disconnect (safely remove) the hard drive from the player? I'll be moving the hard drive back and forth between my computer and the Oppo and therefore want to minimize the risk of erasing the hard drive's content. What I've been doing is make sure that I go back out to the main home screen then turning off the Oppo after which I disconnect the ac cord followed by the USB cord.
post #3626 of 5522 Old 04-13-2014, 03:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by agordon_25 View Post

Question considering purchasing this player....I'm sure this question has been asked however I wish not to read the entire thread to find a response.....how would I connect my hdmi cables to run through the 103d instead of my receiver? Also would I need to have anything additional for my audio system to work such as an optimal cable for example... Thanks in advance for your response...
The 103D has two HDMI inputs that you can use for other input devices like a cable box or a Roku. You can connect the two output HDMI ports to an AVR or directly to a TV. The manual, which has a section on device connections, can be downloaded from the OPPO site, and you can read the FAQ that's linked in the first post of this thread.

If you're more clear about what you want to do, it will improve your chance of getting good advice. smile.gif
post #3627 of 5522 Old 04-13-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup !!

My 103D is my 1st Oppo and the picture quality beats just about all the rest.

Now if they could only make the transport a little more like the DV-09 !! LOL

I am satisfied !! wink.gif

Later biggrin.gif

Me 
post #3628 of 5522 Old 04-13-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by agordon_25 View Post

most run Cable/103D/AVR/HDTV with the box and receiver set to pass through/direct with the OPPO doing the scaling & deinterlacing

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #3629 of 5522 Old 04-13-2014, 07:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Quick question: What is the proper way to disconnect (safely remove) the hard drive from the player?

I go to the Home screen and disconnect the drive without powering down the player. No problems so far.

-Bill
Chere likes this.
post #3630 of 5522 Old 04-14-2014, 03:28 PM

rats... I have been reading avsforums which resulted in an order for a Sony 65-x900b to replace my failing set.     Now suddenly I think I need a BDP-103D.   

I already have an Integra DTR-70.4 which upscales 4k.        We watch a lot of Directv (and I saw the posts about letting the 103D do the scaling).    I have a 4 year old Sony  BDPN460.

Will I still benefit from the BDP-103D?        I'm NOT an electronic engineer but I am technically capable.     Is this something a consumer can master with this forum settings?

Thanks!

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page