Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 124 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 582Likes

Old 04-20-2014, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticpride View Post

I didnt read the whole thread,but i will when i have more time,Does anyone know if darbee will be put into any av receivers or televisions?

I haven't heard anything to think that Darbee is being released in an avr soon, but I would definitely not be very surprised if it happened I'm sure darbee would be interested in such a deal.
It's something to keep eye out for on this years trade shows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Wish the DISH Hopper has that feature!

I am switching from DISH to DirectTV primarily for that feature, and lower cost..
Old 04-20-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Also guys, I am also getting my Netflix Wirelessly as well. If the OPPO makes normal cable (FIOS) TV Better, that is amazing and is another reason to justify the $600 price tag. I had planned originally to buy a PS3 or 4 since NOW I have a 3D TV downstairs in my living room that will eventually have 5.1 surround sound. I actually bought a Blu Ray Player at Best Buy 3 days ago (A Sony Model that was like $119 on sale) that I haven't opened and was going to use to TRY the player with 3D on my new Living Room TV. I think it will go back to Best Buy now. I plan to use OPPO in Media Room. I doubt I'll drop another $500-$600 on a player for downstairs. I guess I could just unplug it and move it downstairs if the mood strikes me.

My Parent gave me an old sub woofer a small rectangle one that I might just TRY in the media room to see how it sounds. Also I could use the one I have upstairs and put it downstairs. I never loved it in my Media Room. It came on all the time and made noise, but maybe I didn't have the crossover set right? Or maybe it was in the wrong place in that room? I didn't know much about subs at the time, and frankly still don't, but I am learning more and more.

I think I have a JBL Sub that they gave me. I was planning on getting a PSA XV15 for my Living Room. $799 and it seems like a great sub for the money and ain't HUGE.

Oh ya, here is my living room with my new Samung 7050 HD 3D TV (Costco) Hung above the Fire Place, also added the Denon AVR-X2000 receiver, and the front 3 Emp Teks (2 in alcoves up high, and Center on Mantle). I still have 2 rear Emp Tek Surrounds and wall mounts for them that I need to open and install for the rear surround.

Receiver is on far right bottom Cabinet. I bought an IR Extender off AMazon that had 4.5 Stars with 1,900 reviews that I haven't tried. it is the flying saucer shaped one that you swap a battery from your existing remote control, with one of their included special batterys and it is supposed to make your remote an IR Remote, or the kind that goes through wood. I have to open the doors in the cabinet or the remotes don't work.

Here is the thing I got on Amazon. It is called a "Next Generation Remote Control Extender". I hope that was what I needed:rolleyes:

Old 04-20-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 218
^^ I use this IR/RF "flying saucer" ... Works great.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think 'spring fever' is causing a lot of off topic talk, lately
Old 04-21-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodil View Post

This is a pet peeve of mine. AVRs are designed to be the master switches. Components are not. TVs can be switches for systems w/o AVRs.
The OPPO is not an AVR with a disc player. It is a disc player (a great one) with some extra inputs.

We all could afford to spend 10x what a basic disc player costs and I imagine we all have decent AVRs. We should use them for switching and audio processing.

I understand using the 103D as a video post processor (for non-disc sources), since it going to be better than the video processing in mostl AVRs. That is a great function and something that OPPO almost makes easy.
But using the OPPO as the main switch and the AVR as just a batch of audio amplifiers does not make sense to me.

I agree. The Oppo player just isn't a good enough substitute for my Yamaha CX-A5000. As you say, it's a great player but an inadequate switcher/processor (for my purpose).

Bob
Old 04-21-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 927
Quote:

This is a pet peeve of mine. AVRs are designed to be the master switches. Components are not. TVs can be switches for systems w/o AVRs.
The OPPO is not an AVR with a disc player. It is a disc player (a great one) with some extra inputs.

We all could afford to spend 10x what a basic disc player costs and I imagine we all have decent AVRs. We should use them for switching and audio processing.

I understand using the 103D as a video post processor (for non-disc sources), since it going to be better than the video processing in mostl AVRs. That is a great function and something that OPPO almost makes easy.
But using the OPPO as the main switch and the AVR as just a batch of audio amplifiers does not make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post

I agree. The Oppo player just isn't a good enough substitute for my Yamaha CX-A5000. As you say, it's a great player but an inadequate switcher/processor (for my purpose).

Don't have any problem with this.

If I want Darbee processing or Oppo processing on a weak signal, I don't want to have to rely on a lesser implementation on an AVR. My AVR is great at what it does, it's just not a video processor at the level of an Oppo (despite having a version of the QDeo chip).

So I don't have any problems putting my cable box and other, network based inputs through the 103D, since what I want is the best image possible. As to sound processing, I bitstream everything going through, so my AVR has full control of that in my case.

Outside of extra inputs, I don't see what other benefits you get from switching at the AVR versus the Oppo. I don't have the need to have all switching done at the AVR if by doing it at the Oppo I can get the Oppo's processing benefits.

Maybe I'm missing something.
THe_Flash likes this.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

Don't have any problem with this.

If I want Darbee processing or Oppo processing on a weak signal, I don't want to have to rely on a lesser implementation on an AVR. My AVR is great at what it does, it's just not a video processor at the level of an Oppo (despite having a version of the QDeo chip).

So I don't have any problems putting my cable box and other, network based inputs through the 103D, since what I want is the best image possible. As to sound processing, I bitstream everything going through, so my AVR has full control of that in my case.

Outside of extra inputs, I don't see what other benefits you get from switching at the AVR versus the Oppo. I don't have the need to have all switching done at the AVR if by doing it at the Oppo I can get the Oppo's processing benefits.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Well, I actually care much more about the sound than I do about video most of the time (I only fire up my projector when watching a Blu-ray, otherwise it's a 42" LCD). That, plus I'm a big surround sound fan (been like that since the mid '70s with Quad), and I want all 11.2 channels operating most of the time. Once in a while I'll listen to stereo, but that is by far the exception. I do have DirecTV on my bedroom system, but it's just my before I fall asleep distraction. wink.gif

Bob
Old 04-21-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 21
"If I want Darbee processing or Oppo processing on a weak signal, I don't want to have to rely on a lesser implementation on an AVR. My AVR is great at what it does, it's just not a video processor at the level of an Oppo (despite having a version of the QDeo chip)."

You can use the AVR for switching and send the video straight through to the 103D if you want darbee processing.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"If I want Darbee processing or Oppo processing on a weak signal, I don't want to have to rely on a lesser implementation on an AVR. My AVR is great at what it does, it's just not a video processor at the level of an Oppo (despite having a version of the QDeo chip)."

You can use the AVR for switching and send the video straight through to the 103D if you want darbee processing.

Whatever works - I just don't want loopback issues with the sound from disks.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think that shoud be the next step ,It just seems like it would be the best and easiest way to utalize darbee.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:24 PM

I like fresh Texas Cornbread with butter. (Spring fever....LOL)

Glad the UFO works well. I'm looking forward to using it.

SpkKing of UFO's. Any of you guys Remember on the "Brady Bunch" where Greg tricked everyone into thinking there was a fly sauced in his back yard? He had a white sheet on some fishing line, a flash light, and a whistle!!! LOL. Then the old guy came out (the UFO Inspector) and after Greg fooled him too, the inspector said, I'll make you a deal, if you don't tell anybody, I won't!! tongue.gif:D:D:D

I just fouind a picture of the UFO Inspector.... SO Damn Funny. This is the guy:

Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Smartypants or whippersnapper, you guys seem very well informed on this topic. I have a question for you, re ""You will want to set your cable box to output the native resolution of any given channel so that the box does not convert lower resolutions to 1080p, but instead allow the player to convert to 1080p. The result will be better picture quality overall."

My Oppo BDP-103D is being delivered tomorrow, and I would like to run my Comcast cable box through the Oppo. The Comcast box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC. I have not seen a way to set it to output the native resolution of any given channel.

Do either of you know a way to do that with this cable box?

If not, should I then not run the Comcast box through the Oppo, because (I think I read somewhere?) the result will be a combination of interlacing and de-interlacing that won't yield good results?

Many thanks for any guidance or opinion you can provide to this newb.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

There was some debate about several Onkyo AVRs processing the video despite being set to simply pass the video. Given this, I am one of the few haphazardly using the Oppo as the switch. Ideally though, yes, I'd simply use the AVR as the switch. Options are good.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSBanff View Post

My Oppo BDP-103D is being delivered tomorrow, and I would like to run my Comcast cable box through the Oppo. The Comcast box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC. I have not seen a way to set it to output the native resolution of any given channel.

Do either of you know a way to do that with this cable box?

Most channels are 1080i, so even if there isn't a way to produce native output for each channel. a general setting of 1080i is the next best thing.
However, I THINK that the Comcast boxes can be set to native.
I don't have Comcast and aren't familiar with their boxes, but I'm sure someone else here will chime in who does and will let you know how to get it done.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 PM

Much obliged for the prompt reply, Smarty-pants. Thank you! I think I will give that a go, even though I've read elsewhere that some channels that I watch frequently, for example ABC and ESPN, are in 720p. Still, it seems worth a shot, and if I don't like what I see I can quickly change the connections. Meanwhile, as you say, maybe someone will weigh in with how to set for native resolution on the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC.

Thanks again, very much, for your help!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Most channels are 1080i, so even if there isn't a way to produce native output for each channel. a general setting of 1080i is the next best thing.
However, I THINK that the Comcast boxes can be set to native.
I don't have Comcast and aren't familiar with their boxes, but I'm sure someone else here will chime in who does and will let you know how to get it done.

Quote:

Much obliged for the prompt reply, Smarty-pants. Thank you! I think I will give that a go, even though I've read elsewhere that some channels that I watch frequently, for example ABC and ESPN, are in 720p. Still, it seems worth a shot, and if I don't like what I see I can quickly change the connections. Meanwhile, as you say, maybe someone will weigh in with how to set for native resolution on the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC.

Your DVR supports native output. They call it "Pass Through" and you can set it by setting the "Picture format"

Here's the part of the manual that describes it:

So you need to select that for output as it's sent into the HDMI input and the 103D should take care of the upscaling.

here's the online users guide
Old 04-21-2014, 04:46 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Quote:

ABC, Fox and ESPN are 720p, but if you're serious enough to buy an OPPO then it shouldn't be too much to switch your cable box to 720p output for any significant watching of those stations. smile.gif

Some cable boxes have a hidden menu that allows you to go native. Check with your cable provider to see it that's the case for your box.

Note: See above. redface.gif
Old 04-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 = Settings - HD settings- TV format-auto/hdmi (set box does not scale)

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony 880
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
Old 04-21-2014, 06:48 PM

Thanks so much to Bob Brennan, htwaits, hernanu, and smarty-pants, all of whom have been kind enough to share useful and relevant info. This is a great forum that I wish I had discovered earlier.

Regrettably, though, all of the tips on how to set the picture format to pass-through, aka Auto-HDMI look great, but I have been unable to execute them.

The reason for my failure is that all of the techniques involve the use of a 'Settings' button that apparently appears commonly on many of the versions of the Comcast Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD remote, but not appear on my remote.

What I have is what the Comcast web page at http://customer.comcast.com/remotes/#download describes as the "Silver with Red OK-Select Button" and the illustration of my remote, showing the location and functions of all the buttons is here: http://customer.comcast.com/~/media/support_comcast_com/Remotes/Manuals/Silver_with_Red_OK_Button.ashx

As you can see, there is no Setup button.

I can get into a status screen using my remote, by first pressing 'Cable' and then holding down 'Guide' and 'Info' simultaneously, but all that brings up is a status screen reporting the state of of things like memory, parameters, clocks etc. By using the arrow keys, I can page through 27 pages of such summaries - none of which have anything to do with picture format or how I can reset it to pass-through or auto-HDMI.

Make no mistake, I truly appreciate all of the good advice from everyone. I just appear to have a different type of Xfinity remote. I'm thinking that I may have to resort to (shudder . . . ominous organ music) calling Comcast. The horror. The horror.

Banff
Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 PM

I wish I had edited that better - of course I meant that my remote has no "Settings" button - it does have a Setup button, but I can't get that to do anything.

So in short, all of the instructions for SETTING the picture format, quite reasonably include directions for using the "settings" button - but my remote doesn't have a settings button.

Again, you can see what buttons it DOES have at http://customer.comcast.com/~/media/support_comcast_com/Remotes/Manuals/Silver_with_Red_OK_Button.ashx
Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 PM

Thanks guys. I also have my OPPO 103D coming any day now from OPPO and am using Verizon FIOS and I am going to try to figure out how to set it up correctly. Is it that much of a dranmatic difference when watching cable??? I know FIOS is supposed to be a very good signal, btu I also know it ain't 1080P as Netflix looks pretty poor now on my 720P Projector. My Epson 6030 just arrived so I plan to hook the Projector up (swap it with my current Mit. HC1500) in the next several days and also Swap my old AVR with my New Denon AVR-X4000 that arrives tomorrow (4-22-14). I am going to have all kinds of new gear and I am very interested in this OPPO Product. It si funny I bnever even heard of it, btu I do not think the mainstream knows about OPPO either, it is more of an audiophile player as most won't drop $499-$1,299 on a BR Player.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

I wish I had edited that better - of course I meant that my remote has no "Settings" button - it does have a Setup button, but I can't get that to do anything.

So in short, all of the instructions for SETTING the picture format, quite reasonably include directions for using the "settings" button - but my remote doesn't have a settings button.

Again, you can see what buttons it DOES have at http://customer.comcast.com/~/media/support_comcast_com/Remotes/Manuals/Silver_with_Red_OK_Button.ashx

Here is the manual for the 8300.
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4004007.pdf
Start on page 4 and use option B which is the advanced set up. Follow the instructions up to page 7 in order to set the DVR up properly. In order to enter the set up screen your TV must be on and the DVR off to start. On the DVR press Guide and INFO button at the same time. The set up wizard should appear on the TV. Follow the instructions in the manual to get the proper setup.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 PM
Coyote Waits

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 1978
Quote:

Once you've ask Comcast how you can select the output resolution for your box, if they can't tell you how to do it, be sure to ask if your area has any other model cable boxes available.

In our area, Comcast support has always been fairly good. wink.gif

I don't know why Comcast would want to have the output resolution hard wired in your area when it isn't in elsewhere.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 PM

@Jed1: thank you Jed, but again the remote in those instructions has a 'Settings' button that is used to bring up those settings options. My remote, a picture of which is linked in my post above, does not have a 'Settings' button - in fact none of the 3 remotes they show at http://customer.comcast.com/remotes/#download has a 'Settings' button.

Also, when I do the "Cable box off, TV on, press 'Guide' and 'Info' at the same time, it brings up a Status screen, not the setup wizard - and there's the rub. It's clear that there are different versions of the remote for this SA 8300 box, some with a 'Settings' button and some without one. I have no doubt that the recommended process works one of those remotes with a 'Settings' button, but it just doesn't work on mine.

@htwaits: thanks for the good suggestion about trying a different Comcast cable box. I so have a Cisco box from Comcast in another room, but they gave me the same remote for that unit, so no 'Settings' button there either. Also, I must say that my attempted humor aside, my local Comcast service has been quite good for the most part. And I agree with you in doubting that they have the resolution hard-wired and unchangeable; I'm sure that my equipment just uses a different process/different buttons to get the job done, and I just need to find out what that process is for my specific equipment. I've been afraid to upgrade to their new X1 or X2 systems, but that may be something for my future consideration.

Banff
Old 04-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

@Jed1: thank you Jed, but again the remote in those instructions has a 'Settings' button that is used to bring up those settings options. My remote, a picture of which is linked in my post above, does not have a 'Settings' button - in fact none of the 3 remotes they show at http://customer.comcast.com/remotes/#download has a 'Settings' button.

Also, when I do the "Cable box off, TV on, press 'Guide' and 'Info' at the same time, it brings up a Status screen, not the setup wizard - and there's the rub. It's clear that there are different versions of the remote for this SA 8300 box, some with a 'Settings' button and some without one. I have no doubt that the recommended process works one of those remotes with a 'Settings' button, but it just doesn't work on mine.

@htwaits: thanks for the good suggestion about trying a different Comcast cable box. I so have a Cisco box from Comcast in another room, but they gave me the same remote for that unit, so no 'Settings' button there either. Also, I must say that my attempted humor aside, my local Comcast service has been quite good for the most part. And I agree with you in doubting that they have the resolution hard-wired and unchangeable; I'm sure that my equipment just uses a different process/different buttons to get the job done, and I just need to find out what that process is for my specific equipment. I've been afraid to upgrade to their new X1 or X2 systems, but that may be something for my future consideration.

Banff

Don't use the buttons on the remote to enter the set up menu, press the Guide and Info button on the cable box to enter the set up menu. Then you use the proper buttons on the remote to go through that process which is on pages 4 to 7. Try using the menu button on the remote to get to the general settings portion. If I am not mistaken you hit the menu button twice.
I apologize but I have only dealt with Motorola based systems. If Comcast is using the Passport Echo guide in their SA boxes I do believe that hitting the menu button twice will bring you to the general settings menu. We once had the Passport Echo guide on our Motorola boxes in my system. Passport Echo was developed by Aptiv Digital and then Gemstar bought them out so it does not matter what system they are running on as it is the same software.

Here is another setup guide for SA boxes.
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4003114.pdf

Here is tow other guides for SA boxes/
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/settop_8300hddvr.html
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4003986.pdf
http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4004007.pdf

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Old 04-22-2014, 12:03 AM

No need to apologize at all, Jed1 - the willingness to help and share information and resources that you and the other folks have shown is inspiring, and I appreciate it greatly.

My problem starts with the fact that I can't get the Setup Wizard to appear- whether I press the guide and info buttons on the box or the remote the same thing happens, which is just 27 pages of status screens that are information-only, not adjustable. This is exacerbated by the fact that my remote doesn't have a Settings button. I tried your suggestion of pressing the Menu Button (both once and twice) and that didn't do it either. Other buttons I've tried either do nothing or just move me to another one of those 27 pages of technical status (the arrow keys and the 'A' key both do that). The B and C keys had no effect.

It's all good, though. I can't wait to receive the Oppo tomorrow, and I'll feed the cable box signal through it, and then just see how things look on a variety of different channels. For all I know the box could already be set on Pass Through or Auto-HDMI. I'll ask Comcast about it anyway, because I just want to know, and also ask them to either tell me how to get into that Setup Wizard with the equipment that they have me using, or send a guy over to show me, whatever works.

Thanks again, sincerely, all of you good folks, for all of your help.

This Oppo, from everything that I've read, will be a visual treat that I'm looking forward to. I'm also looking forward to using the audio connection option to run RCA plugs to the two Front channels, Yes, I confess to being one of those obsolete creatures that still loves 2-channel stereo. I have an Anthem 225 integrated amplifier and Paradigm Signature 8 speakers. I think it's going to sound great.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
^ I have Comcast and the way I access the settings is to select the Menu button on the remote while the cable box is turned off. You can then scroll through the various settings and make your choices. I find, for example, that I get the best sound when LPCM is selected for audio on the Comcast menu. Once you've made your choices, you can verify picture and audio for the channel/signal you're watching by selecting the Information button on the Oppo's remote once the cable box has been turned on. On the top you'll see what the Oppo is receiving via the cable box and at the bottom of the screen you'll see what the Oppo has done with the signal.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have 2 Darbee darblets and I am contemplating to get the 103 but there is a demo 103D for sale. Has anyone had the 103 and upped to the 103D or had the 103D and went to a 103? I'm not sure if I should just stick with getting a 103 and using my darblet. I can of course sell one of my darblets.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
There is a confirmed bug affecting how this player processes speaker distance adjustments for the multi-channel Analog outputs.

If you are using the multi-channel Analog outputs and have speaker distances set which are *NOT* all the same distance, please refer to the following post for more information:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439524/official-oppo-bdp-105-owners-thread/10200#post_24634366

--Bob
Wayne Charlton likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc