post #3961 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 04:39 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post

Question: Do you think it's possible that after a certain firmware suddenly the OPPO 103D couldn't play MKV files no more due to pressure from the big studios and big companies?

It's conceivable but unlikely. The big companies also make players that have MKV.
Quote:

It is my right to have my BD movies in my hard disk

We in the US do not have that right.
Quote:
Guess if I insist on buying the 103D before doing any firmware I would have to read what is the firmware about first.

That is always a wise policy. The player has optional online firmware update, but this can cause problems because the release notes are not shown. People update without knowing the implications.

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3962 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 04:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

It's funny how you automatically assume that I'm using pirate .mkv files. It is my right to have my BD movies in my hard disk (via .mkv) files so I can watch my movies in my bedroom, my daughter's room or my living room just by using my external 2TB hard drive. In my bedroom I have a WD Live unit, my daughter has a PC and I am planning to buy either a 103D or a HTPC for my living room. I want to buy the Oppo both for watching rental BD discs, some BD I haven't convert to MKV just yet and yes the BD disk I have converted to mkv files with the benefits of the Darbee video processing. If I won't be able to do that with the 103D then suddenly this great machine is not that attractive to me.

Guess if I insist on buying the 103D before doing any firmware I would have to read what is the firmware about first.
Where exactly did I accuse you of using pirated MKV files? I did nothing of the sort. However, the movie studios disagree with your assertion that you have the right to rip your BD movies to a hard drive. That's not to say that I t agree with the movie studios, because I don't. But at the end of the day, it's their right to protect their content in the way they see fit and it ultimately isn't up to Oppo to decide if they add support for the copy protection as they have to adhere to their licensing agreements if they want to stay in business. You should be directing your ire at the movie studios...

My issue is that you're approaching this with, IMO, the wrong attitude in regards to expecting a refund (plus "other" expenses, whatever that means) if Oppo is forced (as opposed to chooses) to add Cinavia detection to media file playback. If you can''t live with the possibility of Cinavia being added to MKV file playback in a future firmware update then either buy something else or pay close attention to what is included with future updates before installing them.
post #3963 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

If you can''t live with the possibility of Cinavia being added to MKV file playback in a future firmware update then either buy something else or pay close attention to what is included with future updates before installing them.

Better yet: Don't buy Sony BD releases and you'll never have to worry about Cinavia.
post #3964 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Android Media Control App users note: The app has been updated,

The update includes:
1) Support for CUE files
2) Support for playing audio discs (CD and SACD) from the app.
3) Added a manual connection method by entering the IP address of the Oppo player.
4) Added the Darbee button to the virtual remote.
5) Bug fixes and stability improvements.
6) New UI theme.

The app should now support most tablets. Current firmware is required. (75 or above)
post #3965 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The update includes:
1) Support for CUE files
3) Added a manual connection method by entering the IP address of the Oppo player.
6) New UI theme.

The app should now support most tablets. Current firmware is required. (75 or above)

Wow. I'm liking all of these.
post #3966 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by canton160 View Post

When people mention htpc, i think of xbmc for media player and their lovelly jukebox, but dont forget that the windows version dont even support native YCbCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:2, the xbmc only output native RGB (full or limited ) and the PC will need to convert the DVDs and blurays from YCbCr 4:2:0 to match RGB, and then the video card output YCbCr ( if supported the cpu/apu makes another conversion )............ sometimes all the links in chain are conversion after convertion degradation the video quality, and forget LAV or Madvr because the problem is the XBMC itself.

Dont get me wrong, Xbmc is great software made by volunteers coding in their free time, but in general they dont have test equipment or are videophiles/audiophiles with thousands of $$$$ invested in their home cinema.

The Oppo 103D suports source direct , YCbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0, RGB, and if anyone care about image quality theres nothing out there that match the Oppo.

Very interesting. I have an old 2009 Blu Ray player: the Panasonic BD 80. Does any BD player, like my Panasonic one have the source direct , YCbCr 4 4 4 4 2 2 4 2 0 feature you mention or only selected BD playes like the 103D?

The only technical stuff I could find about my Panasonic was this:

"Chief among these are P4HD and PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus, which are designed to enhance all the core picture elements such as colour, contrast and detail, while P4HD also handles the bread and butter video duties like upscaling, 3:2/2:2 cadence detection and diagonal processing. It's all made possible by the UniPhier single-chip solution that also allows the DMP-BD80 to consume less power than previous models."
post #3967 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 07:59 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

The Oppo 103D suports source direct , YCbCr 4:4:4, 4:2:2, 4:2:0

Not 4:2:0. HDMI 1.4 doesn't even carry that. HDMI 2.0 will, although whether as a mandatory or optional feature, I am not recalling.
Quote:

Very interesting. I have an old 2009 Blu Ray player: the Panasonic BD 80. Does any BD player, like my Panasonic one have

It would be best to pursue that in the thread dedicated to the Panasonic, or in the "Help Me Find a Player..." thread.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3968 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:

The update includes:
1) Support for CUE files
6) New UI theme.

Does the Oppo/app support media identification and embedded album art for disc playback?  In other words, when looking at the screen on the tablet, will I see the Artist, Album, Song Title, and artwork stored on the disc?

post #3969 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Better yet: Don't buy Sony BD releases and you'll never have to worry about Cinavia.
Also Universal in addition to Sony!

Bill
post #3970 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Not 4:2:0. HDMI 1.4 doesn't even carry that. HDMI 2.0 will, although whether as a mandatory or optional feature, I am not recalling.
It would be best to pursue that in the thread dedicated to the Panasonic, or in the "Help Me Find a Player..." thread.

-Bill

-Bill[/quote]

Check the first page of this topic, oppo 103d And 105d are hdmi 2.0 with latest beta firmware.

post #3971 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

-Bill
Quote:

Check the first page of this topic, oppo 103d And 105d are hdmi 2.0 with latest beta firmware.

Well, no - not full 2.0.

They just extended the ability for content to be sent in 4:2:0 format using existing 1.4 cables in a particular instance. Changing to 2.0 would require hardware changes.

"Added support for the "4Kx2K@50/60Hz" resolution to the BDP-103D/105D (HDMI 1 only, and in YCbCr 4:2:0 format only). The "4Kx2K Output" setting for the BDP-103D/105D is set to "Auto 4K 50/60Hz 4:2:0" by default."

From the beta description.

And from HDMI.org:

" Can my existing HDMI 1.x devices be upgraded with HDMI 2.0 features?
Currently, there are no provisions for doing such an upgrade. Because of the new enhanced feature set, any such conversion would require hardware and/or firmware upgrades. If there are such conversions, it would come from the manufacturer. Please check with them directly."

So Oppo found a way to extract 50/60Hz support for 4K displays out of existing 1.4 hardware. But the 2.0 implementation awaits some later players.
post #3972 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 10:50 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post

So Oppo found a way to extract 50/60Hz support for 4K displays out of existing 1.4 hardware. But the 2.0 implementation awaits some later players.

Oops, you're right about 4:2:0 for 4k. I always forget about 4k upscaling.

You still can't get Source Direct 4:2:0 from DVD or Blu-ray, as far as I know.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3973 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the explanation. I guess what I meant to ask is if the 103D as a stand alone BD player, having Darbee disabled, provides more features or processing than others BD players out there. I have no doubt the 103D is a fine BD player (maybe the best out there along with the 105D) but don't remember where I read it, that the function of a BD player is two reproduce the given information of a BD movie with the Sony/Phillips chip every BD player has so basically said chip do all the work and thus every BD player should produce the same image mostly the same as a DAC in a CD player where the distinction is given by the speakers (in this case the TV/projector image quality) and no the BD player.
post #3974 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Well, no - not full 2.0.

They just extended the ability for content to be sent in 4:2:0 format using existing 1.4 cables in a particular instance. Changing to 2.0 would require hardware changes.

"Added support for the "4Kx2K@50/60Hz" resolution to the BDP-103D/105D (HDMI 1 only, and in YCbCr 4:2:0 format only). The "4Kx2K Output" setting for the BDP-103D/105D is set to "Auto 4K 50/60Hz 4:2:0" by default."

From the beta description.

And from HDMI.org:

" Can my existing HDMI 1.x devices be upgraded with HDMI 2.0 features?
Currently, there are no provisions for doing such an upgrade. Because of the new enhanced feature set, any such conversion would require hardware and/or firmware upgrades. If there are such conversions, it would come from the manufacturer. Please check with them directly."

Quote:

Oops, you're right about 4:2:0 for 4k. I always forget about 4k upscaling.

You still can't get Source Direct 4:2:0 from DVD or Blu-ray, as far as I know.

-Bill

I havent test the beta firmware, but a hardware upgrade wont be necessary due the Silicon Image VRS Clearview chips used latest oppo 103d/105d.

The manufacturers will only need to have one feature 4:2:0 or hdcp 2.2 to be called Hdmi 2.0, but some still will be mention hdmi 1.4 in their specs, while they are indeed hdmi 2.0

Read this post from lumagen CEO and their explanation and position in market regarding this matter about hdmi 1.4 and hdmi 2.0.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1527728/lumagen-new-radiance-21xx-video-processors#post_24710559

Also check this topic the hdmi 1.4 has more than enough bandwith to support 4k 50/60 4:2:0 (10.2Gbps) , but not 4k/60hz 4:2:2 (17,82Gbps) thats why i mention that Oppo is supporting 4:2:0 in their beta firmware, and can be called hdmi 2.0 in their legal right....if they want to....

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1523994/hdmi-2-0-cedia-webinar

And here is the specs of the VRS clear view

The SiI9616 Video Processor
• Integrated HDMI® 2.0 and MHL® interfaces for home theater and mobile connectivity
• Adaptive scaling engine to convert images from native resolution to 4K Ultra HD resolution
• VRS ClearView technologies to enhance picture quality

http://www.siliconimage.com/Company/News_and_Events/Press_Releases/2014_01_06_-_Silicon_Image_4K_Ultra_HD_Video_Processor_Selected_for_OPPO_Digital_s_New_Blu-Ray_Disc™_Player/

post #3975 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm watching the Dark Knight Rises and for some reason when I choose source direct, it adds some sort of trumotion/sped up video processing. Anyone else seen this?

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Onkyo TX-NR636 - Kef Q2,5,6 speakers and Rel 150 sub
post #3976 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 868
^ Thats something happening in your Display, presumably because it is reacting strangely to 1080p/24 Input.

At a guess you have the 1080p/24 Output setting set to OFF, so Resolution 1080p results in 1080p/60 output, but Source Direct will send 1080p/24 anyway if that's what's on the disc (as is true for most movies).
--Bob
WhiskeyOmega likes this.

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #3977 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 02:27 PM

Thanks Bob
Playing about with it but its fine when in auto/1080/4K.

post #3978 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ While playing it, press Info on the remote to bring up the on screen display. Then Page Up or Page Down to change the Info that shows. The bottom line will now show you what's going out on the HDMI Outputs. Compare the cases that work against the case that doesn't work and you'll see what format your Display is having problems with.

Then look to disable the video processing in your Display that's causing the problem.
--Bob

post #3979 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 04:22 PM

Liked: 10
Getting ready to buy the 103D I have read every post but can't remember ., couple of questions, Make any difference hard wire or wireless? Which is the right ruko stick to buy? and steps for fimwear updates. thanks for your time
post #3980 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Read the FAQ!

Ethernet wiring is preferable to wireless if you can arrange it. The ROKU 3 box (newest model) would be best. You can play it through the OPPO if you want. Once networking is set up, the player will tell you if a newer Official firmware is available. Just follow the on screen prompts.

If you want to get the latest Public Beta firmware, then download it from the OPPO Support page for install via a USB stick. Instructions are on that same page. It's simple.

If the player offers a Recommended Reset on the first power up after the firmware install, then you SHOULD do that.
--Bob

post #3981 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 04:49 PM

I upgraded to the beta but the player didn't reset the settings or ask. Bit strange.

post #3982 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 04:55 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyOmega View Post

I upgraded to the beta but the player didn't reset the settings or ask. Bit strange.
If it didn't recommend a reset, then you were probably on the latest official release. The reset is really only absolutely required if you're on somewhat older versions. If experiencing any odd behavior, you can do a reset via the Setup menu.
post #3983 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 05:04 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyOmega View Post

Perfectly normal. If the firmware you are coming FROM is new enough, then the firmware install does a Settings Save, Reset, and Restore for you in the background, using internal memory. Automagically.
--Bob
WhiskeyOmega likes this.

post #3984 of 5310 Old 05-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Perfectly normal. If the firmware you are coming FROM is new enough, then the firmware install does a Settings Save, Reset, and Restore for you in the background, using internal memory. Automagically.
--Bob

Yea was the latest official

post #3985 of 5310 Old 05-16-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I just ordered a 103d biggrin.gif

I have a uverse dvr, apple tv, and sony sound receiver with 3 HDMI in ports. Would the best set up to take advantage of darbee be hooking the atv and cable box into the receiver, then to the oppo, and then to the tv?
post #3986 of 5310 Old 05-16-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm running the beta firmware (and happy with it).

When the official release comes out, is it just a standard network upgrade for me as usual or do I need to use a USB key to upgrade?

Just curious...
post #3987 of 5310 Old 05-16-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Network / USB / or you can order a disc.

Me 
post #3988 of 5310 Old 05-16-2014, 11:20 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

I'm running the beta firmware (and happy with it).

When the official release comes out, is it just a standard network upgrade for me as usual or do I need to use a USB key to upgrade?

Just curious...

There is no network upgrade from beta to official, or vice-versa. This is a safety feature, or so I suppose. You'll have to use USB or an optical disc.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #3989 of 5310 Old 05-16-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is no network upgrade from beta to official, or vice-versa. This is a safety feature, or so I suppose. You'll have to use USB or an optical disc.

-Bill

No problem - did the beta with a USB, will just do that again. Thanks..
post #3990 of 5310 Old 05-16-2014, 11:51 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

You can certainly do that with your FIOS box, but it generally isn't a good idea to send game systems through additional layers of video processing as it can introduce lag in game play. To get the maximum benefit with your FIOS box, it's best if you can figure out how to configure it for native output so it will switch it's video resolution as you change channels rather than letting the cable box upscale everything to 1080p..

Any issues with lag in sports like football if FiOS box connected to 103D?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page