Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 145 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4321 of 7250 Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post

We have both OPPO BDP-103 & OPPO BDP-103D(Darbee Edition) and experienced a first time problem with the new -103D remote.

We switched to a 3D tv program and it 3d came up ok as a side by side format.. The 3d button has been changed to darbee button. So i went to the OPPO menu and was unable to find where to change the 3D format.. Must be there but i missed it. I grabbed the -103 remote and pushed 3D button and was able to change to the correct format from side by side. A HT article review said use the dimmer button for 3D format changes. not so! OPPO -103D manual for remote 3D button function not updated?
We would appreciate your help and suggestions. Not a show stopper except for new users.

I'm not completely clear on what you're trying to do. If your TV is displaying SBS images, you need to go into the TV setup and force it to 3D mode. the Oppo just passes a SBS image through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 7250 Old 06-06-2014, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all!

I'm looking into getting the 103d and have few questions that I'm hoping you all can help me out with.

First off, a little background. I'm currently using an HTPC for all my media playback. All of my physical discs (DVD, HD-DVD, Bluray) have all been ripped to mkv and are currently stored on my 10TB Unraid server. 100% of my rips are direct from disc 1:1 with only the highest quality audio track (lossless or otherwise). In some instances there are two audio tracks (mostly anime or foreign language films). All relevant subtitles (forced and CC) are also present in the same format they were on the disc. Currently I'm using Mediabrowser Server and Theater to play them back on my Home Theater and, for the most part, it's not too bad. However... Tweaking an HTPC for perfection is a never ending task. My biggest gripe atm is trying to get proper refresh rates, pulldown, and deinterlacing to work right and automatically. These are things my BDP-83 never has an issue with and that got me thinking/looking at the BDP-103. Since the 103 has the ability to stream content over the network, supports MKV, and is DLNA compatible I'm wondering why I don't just scrap my whole HTPC and replace it with one of these.

For those of you that don't know much about Media Browser, it's pretty dang slick these days. The server app manages all the metadata and connections to clients (as well as DLNA compatible devices on your network). It even lets you browse your collection over the network or on numerous mobile device apps (which also give you the ability to select a movie and play it to another client on your network, ie... the 103). This basically eliminates the need to have an onscreen remote control browseable interface (like netflix has) and instead use your smartphone or tablet to take care of that.

So my questions:

1.) Has anybody tried pushing MKV's of Blurays, HD-DVD's, and DVD's to the 103d?
-If so, how did they work? Were they fully supported (bit streaming audio, forced subtitles, etc)?
-What about MKV 3D Blurays with the included MVC video tracks? any issues there? (Currently I'm feeding all of my devices through a Emotiva UMC-1 to a non-3D Samsung Plasma. I plan to eventually upgrade for 3D, but it's a ways off yet. I just know that external players is the only way HTPC's can handle 3D for the most part, and it's just another headache I want to avoid when the time comes to upgrade.)

2.) My HTPC does a pretty good job of displaying these formats, when setup properly (which unfortuneatly means a whole bunch of manual configuration changes based on each specific movie type.), but how would it compare to the 103d in terms of PQ? (currently decoding with a GTX 560ti and using madvr as much as I can before it starts choking)
-Is it safe to assume that all playback would be as smooth and easy or better than my BDP-83?

3.) I'm sure this has been asked a billion times, but is the 103 worth an extra $100 for the D, in your opinion? biggrin.gif
-Does it compete with MadVr on max settings? (note that the only way I get to those settings and maintain silky smooth playback on my HTPC are via $600-700 in hardware upgrades, at which point the 103d is a no brainer, if it can fully handle the media, that is.)

Anyway, those are kind of the key factors I'm looking at before I decide to pull the trigger. Is it worth giving a try or should I just save my money for the time being?

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
"Serenity Now!!! Insanity later."

-HarBlar
post #4323 of 7250 Old 06-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFree View Post

It still didn't work for us using the -103D remote option key. -103 remote 3D button yes.
On our Roku adapter we also went to live WealthTV3D demo's and 3D side by side came up. Using option key did nothing. Back to -103 remote (3D button) worked fine.
Note: When using the -103D option key, it does bring up a bottom menu for 3d but doesn't show or allow format change. Normal 3d bluray work fine.
As when using the 3D button, you have to use the Option menu item TWICE in this case.

The first use enables the 2D -> 3D Conversion. Then the 2nd use lets you select Side By Side format for what's now being output as 3D.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4324 of 7250 Old 06-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarBlar View Post

I'm looking into getting the 103d and have few questions that I'm hoping you all can help me out with ... I'm sure this has been asked a billion times, but is the 103 worth an extra $100 for the D, in your opinion?

FWIW, the D is completely indispensable in our particular video chain, given our equipment, screen size and seating distance. More generally, at the risk of an over-broad summary, a significant majority of AVS members on this thread and others routinely give a thumbs-up to Darbee processing.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #4325 of 7250 Old 06-06-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 226
^ +1 on the thumbs up for Darbee. smile.gif

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4326 of 7250 Old 06-06-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 76
^^ +2.

Just got my 103D last week. I'm converted. biggrin.gif
post #4327 of 7250 Old 06-06-2014, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

So my questions:

1.) Has anybody tried pushing MKV's of Blurays, HD-DVD's, and DVD's to the 103d?
-If so, how did they work? Were they fully supported (bit streaming audio, forced subtitles, etc)?
-What about MKV 3D Blurays with the included MVC video tracks? any issues there? (Currently I'm feeding all of my devices through a Emotiva UMC-1 to a non-3D Samsung Plasma. I plan to eventually upgrade for 3D, but it's a ways off yet. I just know that external players is the only way HTPC's can handle 3D for the most part, and it's just another headache I want to avoid when the time comes to upgrade.)
I have just barely tried some mkv's with the oppo but it handled bitstreaming dts-hd audio and subtitles as far as I have tested, quite a few files presented some tracking issues but I traced this down to DLNA, if I move the file in question to a thumb drive it works perfectly.
Actually the oppo has so far handled any file I have thrown at it, but it's networking features are a little buggy (oppo deems them experimental), if you use a USB drive directly into the oppo it works surprisingly well.
Quote:

2.) My HTPC does a pretty good job of displaying these formats, when setup properly (which unfortuneatly means a whole bunch of manual configuration changes based on each specific movie type.), but how would it compare to the 103d in terms of PQ? (currently decoding with a GTX 560ti and using madvr as much as I can before it starts choking)
-Is it safe to assume that all playback would be as smooth and easy or better than my BDP-83?
Only 3d file I have tried is a side by side one, any unit with a 3d feature can handle this, I haven't tried further cause I simply do not get much of anything out of 3d the loss of contrast and colour accuracy is too distracting and I loose any 'wow' effect in the fist 5 minutes, but that's me.
Quote:

3.) I'm sure this has been asked a billion times, but is the 103 worth an extra $100 for the D, in your opinion? biggrin.gif
-Does it compete with MadVr on max settings? (note that the only way I get to those settings and maintain silky smooth playback on my HTPC are via $600-700 in hardware upgrades, at which point the 103d is a no brainer, if it can fully handle the media, that is.)
I haven't tried out madvr so can't say towards that.
As normal it kinda depends, on my 51" plasma and the contents i view on it, the darbee is pretty much superfluous and I can't really say if it is on or not unless I turn it up to the 60-80% mark.
On my 90" front projection this changes completely and I would be loathe to go back to a mere regular bd player :-)
post #4328 of 7250 Old 06-06-2014, 04:49 PM

Liked: 11
I hooked up the 103D earlier today. Holy cannoli. I had no idea the audio would be that much better. I just assumed it all went PCM and all BDPs were pretty much the same. Its probably the single biggest upgrade to my sound since the new speakers. Streaming the HDTracks stuff is just insane. For now I am listening in 2 channel.

Oppo 103D
Anthem MRX500
Hafler 9303 Transnova
Cornscala

One weirdism is the streaming video from online sources looks better on my Roku box that is connected directly to the Anthem. Not sure why, they both are connected to the same Cat6 drop.
Bruuce likes this.
post #4329 of 7250 Old 06-06-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Nobody else has seen the output get choppy when playing the Sony Pictures intro on a sony Blu Ray?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #4330 of 7250 Old 06-06-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gandy View Post

One weirdism is the streaming video from online sources looks better on my Roku box that is connected directly to the Anthem. Not sure why, they both are connected to the same Cat6 drop.
Sometimes the difference is in different video handling at the source. For instance, Netflix does provide different signals depending on the software that they run in streaming device.
post #4331 of 7250 Old 06-06-2014, 08:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post

Nobody else has seen the output get choppy when playing the Sony Pictures intro on a sony Blu Ray?
Did you mean OPPO?
post #4332 of 7250 Old 06-07-2014, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes I have noticed that the video streaming from (lets say the YouTube app) on the 103D is significantly better when played directly on my TV's copy of the same app. No matter how many config changes I make, I can not get the PQ to be as clear. Especially for 4K material... It's not even close actually.
post #4333 of 7250 Old 06-07-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 20
yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

Did you mean OPPO?

Yes, when a sony disc on the Oppo.

UPDATE:

Only affects HDMI 1 at 1080/24p.
Does not manifest at 60p….

Curious...

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #4334 of 7250 Old 06-07-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post

FWIW, the D is completely indispensable in our particular video chain, given our equipment, screen size and seating distance. More generally, at the risk of an over-broad summary, a significant majority of AVS members on this thread and others routinely give a thumbs-up to Darbee processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

^ +1 on the thumbs up for Darbee. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-triodes View Post

^^ +2.

Just got my 103D last week. I'm converted. biggrin.gif

hahaha... That's kinda what I thought. Just wanted to make sure! wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorTorden View Post

I have just barely tried some mkv's with the oppo but it handled bitstreaming dts-hd audio and subtitles as far as I have tested, quite a few files presented some tracking issues but I traced this down to DLNA, if I move the file in question to a thumb drive it works perfectly.
Actually the oppo has so far handled any file I have thrown at it, but it's networking features are a little buggy (oppo deems them experimental), if you use a USB drive directly into the oppo it works surprisingly well.
Only 3d file I have tried is a side by side one, any unit with a 3d feature can handle this, I haven't tried further cause I simply do not get much of anything out of 3d the loss of contrast and colour accuracy is too distracting and I loose any 'wow' effect in the fist 5 minutes, but that's me.
I haven't tried out madvr so can't say towards that.
As normal it kinda depends, on my 51" plasma and the contents i view on it, the darbee is pretty much superfluous and I can't really say if it is on or not unless I turn it up to the 60-80% mark.
On my 90" front projection this changes completely and I would be loathe to go back to a mere regular bd player :-)

I'm currently watching on a 58" Samsung Plasma at about 10 feet, but planning on going to a projector on a 110" + screen in the next year or so.

I guess the only thing that really has me on the fence is the MKV playback ability streamed across a gigabit network. I've got 500+ movies and 1000's of TV episodes on a, currently, 11TB raid server. I'm not going to download individual movies to a usb drive and physically plug it in every time I want to see a specific movie. The USB drive would also defeat the point of using MediaBrowser Server. If it's not going to work well via DLNA, then I'm better off staying with the HTPC... On the otherside of things, MB Server has a ton of user configurable options for setting up it's DLNA server and how it handles the transfer of audio and video files. It even transcodes on the fly to allow playback on devices that don't support a given file type (really cool, but I still prefer the full bit perfect rip and audio myself). wink.gif Anyway, if the network playback via DLNA is a tad glitchy, I'm fairly certain it can be tweaked on the MB server side of things to solve the problem. (I would Hope anyway. I know of at least one guy on the MB forums that has it working to a 103d, but he doesn't post much and didn't go into much detail about how he got it to work.)

So, really, I just need to know if it'll do these three things:

1.) Playback 1:1 MKV rips from Bluray's, HD-DVD's, and DVD's

2.) Bitstream these 6 audio formats (DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, DTS, and Multichannel PCM)

3.) Properly display forced subtitles for the three formats in number 1. (if not at least have there be a workaround so I can get working forced subs)

If it can do those three things, this should be a no brainer of a way to setup and handle a media collection. Sit down on my couch and pull out my ipad (using harmony ultimate control, so my iPad controls my home theater just like my remote), launch the iPad MB3 app, browse my collection, and when I hit play it starts playing on the tv! No muss, no fuss, and not a physical disc in sight! Just like Netflix streaming, only full video and audio quality!

In a perfect world, anyway... biggrin.gif

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
"Serenity Now!!! Insanity later."

-HarBlar
post #4335 of 7250 Old 06-07-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e117v1 View Post

I know that HDMI-CEC is off....I turned it off after doing a reset from a Firmware update.

I will have to play close attention to what happens immediately after I turn off my DTV and TV.  I've only paid attention to the fact that, for example, I will turn off ONLY the DTV and TV at the end of the night, then the following morning my assumption is that I could just turn the two appliances and start watching tv since i didn't turn off the 103D.

I will visually check what happens when i shut down the other appliances tonight...then tomorrow confirm.

Tks

Okay, I've been tinkering with this the last few days.

Going to try here before heading to Oppo support as I might be trying to accomplish something that is not possible.

I did a full reset.  I made sure HDMI-CEC was off (on all my devices). Sleep Timer is off on the player. Running my DirecTV through the Oppo to the TV.  

When I turn off the DTV and TV, leaving the Oppo player on (I can see the blue light and the display shows HDMI In-Back), if I come back to it, say after a half hour (the player is still showing the blue light and HDMI In-Back on the display) and turn on the DTV/TV, I get a picture (the 103D is passing through the DTV signal).

If I come back to it after a few hours (the player still shows the blue light and HDMI In-Back) and turn on the DTV/TV but I DONT get a picutre, my TV is telling me no signal is coming through.  Even stranger, when I press a button on my player remote (Home, Setup, Enter, Play, tray Open) to try to and "wake it", nothing happens, seems frozen.  I have to ultimately press the Power button 3-4 times to turn it off so I can turn it back on and get the pass-through to happen

Is it not possible to leave the player on for long periods of time if no signal is being fed to it?  Is there a auto-shut off that happens without an option to turn it off?  I've gone through the Setup of the player and have selected Screen Saver/Energy Saver that should be appropriated to leave on.

post #4336 of 7250 Old 06-07-2014, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello, here I just got my oppo 103D but I have a problem.
I plugged my cube Csat (TV decoder) on the HDMI socket behind the player, but the oppo fate 4K/25p (if I put on auto resolution I 1080p).
I have a Samsung F9000 with the One Connect 2 and hdmi 2.0 cable
I did the last update of the oppo
thank you very much

sorry for my english smile.gif
post #4337 of 7250 Old 06-07-2014, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Press the RESOLUTION button then select 1080p or Source Direct and see if you get an image. If you still don't get an image, then try a different HDMI cable.
post #4338 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 01:09 AM

Hello, i have an image with 1080p or with source direct.

With my PS4 i have 4K/30p but not 4K/60p.

Thank you.
post #4339 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post

Press the RESOLUTION button then select 1080p or Source Direct and see if you get an image. If you still don't get an image, then try a different HDMI cable.

I have this in 1080p or direct source:

But with an other hdmi cable it's the same thing
post #4340 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 04:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ That black area on the lower right portion of your TV screen looks like a failure of the TV.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4341 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 AM

with my PS4 connected directly to my TV in 1080p I do not have that worry. Is this a concern for the player? The black area is appeared after the update.

Tuant you very much.
post #4342 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 06:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Is the PS4 connected into the SAME HDMI Input socket on the TV when you test that? Is the PS4 sending 1080p/60 to the display when you test that? *NOT* 1080p/24 or 4K?

Seriously, that type of image failure looks like a TV fault. The signal processing circuits in the TV separately control large, rectangular areas of the screen like the portion that has gone black. When a large chunk of the screen goes bad like that, it is almost always a hardware fault in the TV.

If if is not a TV fault then your OPPO player definitely needs warranty service.

To check this, try playing a Blu-ray disc in the OPPO with Resolution set to 1080p output and with 1080p/24 Output set to OFF. Is that same portion of the TV screen black? If so then that is more evidence of a TV fault. Be sure you set 1080p/24 Output to OFF for this test. Its default setting is AUTO which will send 1080p/24 to the TV for Blu-ray movies. Whereas the main menu screens of the OPPO (i.e., what shows when no disc is playing) send 1080p/60.

However if the black portion of the image ONLY shows when viewing the built in graphics of the OPPO player -- i.e, the Setup menu as shown in your picture -- then it just MIGHT be a hardware fault in the OPPO.

This would be a VERY unusual failure in the OPPO. I don't know of any previous reports of a failure like that.
--Bob

post #4343 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 07:19 AM

I just turn on my oppo. The black area disappeared in 1080p, I did not touch anything. For 4K, I have set output resolution on "4Kx2K" and 4Kx2K on "forced (50/60Hz)". If i set "auto (50/60Hz)" i have 1080p50.

Thank you very much.
post #4344 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ I hope the problem does not return, but I fear a circuit in your TV is failing.
--Bob

post #4345 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 07:31 AM

Yet on my previous player I does not have this worry. And my oppo does not want to give 4K/60hz but only 4K/25p.
post #4346 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 07:51 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ To get 4k/50Hz YCbCr 4:2:0 output you need to be playing video-rate content. I.e., not a Blu-ray movie, which is film-rate. Try a Blu-ray of a live concert event.
--Bob

post #4347 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 08:16 AM

I try with my PS4 and my TV decoder (1080p50) and i have 4K25p not 4K50p.
post #4348 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 09:19 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's just frame doubling that stuff (i.e., sending each frame twice), which simply puts more bandwidth on the HDMI cable for no good reason.

The content on disc for movies is 1080p/25 (or 1080p/24). Never 1080p/50 or 1080p/60. Blu-ray discs do not support recorded content at 1080p/50 or 1080p/60. Video rate content is on disc as 1080i/50 or 1080i/60.
--Bob

post #4349 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 AM

I think my player do not work well. it only gives the 4K/25p when I have hdmi2.0 cable and One connect 2 my Samsung F9000.
I do not know what to do.
Thank you very much.
post #4350 of 7250 Old 06-08-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2612 View Post

I think my player do not work well. it only gives the 4K/25p when I have hdmi2.0 cable and One connect 2 my Samsung F9000.
I do not know what to do.
Thank you very much.

Oppo 103/105 are HDMI 1.4 so that is working as intended.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page