post #4381 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by usxplong View Post

After updated to the last FW my 103D always gets HD or Super HD quality from Netflix.
The Interface has the updated look and quality is perfect.
Anyone has noticed this?

I have been using this new interface since it's debut on the Roku 3 and love it! One thing that both the Roku 3 and the Oppo BDP 103D are lacking with the new Netflix... 3D, where is my 3D Netflix on my Oppo? Do you have it on yours? My net speed is 55 Mbps average. Does this device not support 3D and if so why not?

Vizio 80" 3D LED M801D-A3 SpectraCal-CalMAN 5
Onkyo TX-NR818 w/ Polk Monitor 50 (Fronts), Onkyo SK-520 (Surronds), SKW-770 (Sub)
Win 8.1 PC i7 3930k, 2 Crossfire 280X's, 32GB RAM | Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3Ghz, 16 GB RAM w/ PLEX
Roku 3
Oppo BDP-103D
Xbox One, PS4, Xbox 360 S, PS3 Slim
Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post

I have been using this new interface since it's debut on the Roku 3 and love it! One thing that both the Roku 3 and the Oppo BDP 103D are lacking with the new Netflix... 3D, where is my 3D Netflix on my Oppo? Do you have it on yours? My net speed is 55 Mbps average. Does this device not support 3D and if so why not?

Its up to Netflix, not the maker of the hardware. Thus far Netflix has been vary tight fisted with 3D support. No doubt because of concerns for bandwidth usage. Expect the same for 4K streaming from Netflix.
post #4383 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having an odd stereo audio issue. I have a Roku 3 connected to the front HDMI and an Xfinity X1 DVR connected to the rear HDMI in of my 103D. The HDMI 1 output connects to a Pioneer VSX-33 AVR. When playing a program with 2 channel audio it will play for 5 or 10 minutes and then the audio will output as a very loud static sound. This happens with both the X1 DVR and the Roku. Changing the HDMI input to the other device and then back fixes it temporarily until it happens again so it seems to be some sort of HDMI handshaking issue. This does not happen if the audio is 5.1. Any one experienced this or have any ideas how to fix it?
post #4384 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffin View Post

I'm having an odd stereo audio issue. I have a Roku 3 connected to the front HDMI and an Xfinity X1 DVR connected to the rear HDMI in of my 103D. The HDMI 1 output connects to a Pioneer VSX-33 AVR. When playing a program with 2 channel audio it will play for 5 or 10 minutes and then the audio will output as a very loud static sound. This happens with both the X1 DVR and the Roku. Changing the HDMI input to the other device and then back fixes it temporarily until it happens again so it seems to be some sort of HDMI handshaking issue. This does not happen if the audio is 5.1. Any one experienced this or have any ideas how to fix it?

I wouldn't rule out an issue with the AVR. What happens if you play a CD for 20 min?
post #4385 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrian View Post

I can absolutely confirm this. To be clear, it is the Sony Logo that launches at the start of most Sony, Columbia Pictures and Film District Blu-rays. I did a factory reset, and it still occurred. I did not notice similar playback issues with Warner, Universal, Lionsgate or Entertainment One Blus over the weekend. I haven't tried switching to 60hz from 1080/24 Auto (I will when I get home tonight) but it would make sense that this would be related to the problem in that the disc launch logo is no doubt digital video and not film-based, but then why doesn't it happen with anybody else's Blus other than Sony?

Maybe only people in Minnesota have the bug.

Anyway, it hasn't interfered with playback of any actual movies yet, so it's hardly an emergency, but these types of glitches are still worth reporting, right? Especially when they behave this consistently?

Is it even possible that two units could suffer the exact same specific settings based glitch, and the rest are unaffected?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #4386 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I wouldn't rule out an issue with the AVR. What happens if you play a CD for 20 min?

I've played CDs for hours with no problem, but that is over optical not HDMI. The receiver has the latest firmware installed.
post #4387 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 08:24 PM

I have a few questions about media file playback with these Oppo players.
Currently I still use a WDTV to play my DVD collection that I ripped to ISO.

So here goes all the questions:

1. Can the Oppo play 480i DVDs in ISO format?

2. Can the Oppo output 480i DVD ISOs at their native 480i? (I have an external upscaler)

3. Can someone provide a link to screen shots of the media file playback GUI?
I bought a TViX thinking it would be a good replacement but the media file GUI is just a simple list type.
I was hoping to find a set-top box or blu-ray player that had a GUI more like xbmc.
If the Oppo's media playback GUI is not like the rich Xbmc GUI, please feel free to recommend
a Blu-ray player or set-top box that does.. If one does not exist, I'll stick with my WDTV.

Thanks in advance.
post #4388 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
no ISO

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #4389 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Moved to Oppo thread.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #4390 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post

Yes, thanks Gary -- the Oppo 103D is hard wired. Cheers!

No problem . happy to help !! biggrin.gif

Later smile.gif

Gary 
post #4391 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I was vague, my bad. I meant the Oppo has always been hard-wired, as all of our internet connected devices are. I haven't had the chance to play with Vudu streaming again since the initial Buffer-Fest, but it sounds to me like there are no known issues with 103D Vudu playback. Maybe Vudu had unusual problems that night or my ISP did.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #4392 of 6066 Old 06-10-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
" My Bad" no problem smile.gif

To be honest , I mostly use my VUDU through my F8000 , although I have tried it on my 103D and it worked fine.

Internet speeds are quirky at best. Anything can knock your speed down or even up , a little , most companies have limiters locked in to your service , god forbid you should get a decent download speed !!

I have Comcast and they have put a limit on my speed to match the package that I rent each month.

I have triple play , but I hate phones !! really , I am taking care of my just turned 100 year young dad and he likes the telephone , so I have it.

I have a cell I take with me if he stays home , just for emergencies or if he needs anything.

If it was just me , I would just get the fastest internet I could and stream all my viewing , well maybe basic so I can watch the Patriots !! biggrin.gif

Later smile.gif

Me 
post #4393 of 6066 Old 06-11-2014, 05:19 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom63376 View Post

I have a few questions about media file playback with these Oppo players.
Currently I still use a WDTV to play my DVD collection that I ripped to ISO.

So here goes all the questions:

1. Can the Oppo play 480i DVDs in ISO format?

2. Can the Oppo output 480i DVD ISOs at their native 480i? (I have an external upscaler)

3. Can someone provide a link to screen shots of the media file playback GUI?
I bought a TViX thinking it would be a good replacement but the media file GUI is just a simple list type.
I was hoping to find a set-top box or blu-ray player that had a GUI more like xbmc.
If the Oppo's media playback GUI is not like the rich Xbmc GUI, please feel free to recommend
a Blu-ray player or set-top box that does.. If one does not exist, I'll stick with my WDTV.

Thanks in advance.

No ISO file support.

The player's media file interface is very basic. The online manual has drawings. It's nothing like XBMC.

However: the player is also a DLNA renderer, meaning you can push files to it from other devices, using the interface available on those controllers. See the FAQ for more: Is the player a Digital Media Renderer?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #4394 of 6066 Old 06-11-2014, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can the Oppo downmix the L, R, C, & LFE channels (but not the surround channels) into the analog stereo RCA outputs?

thanks.

Last edited by meli; 06-11-2014 at 10:46 PM.
post #4395 of 6066 Old 06-11-2014, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Since I'm reading a lot of posts regarding output settings, it sounds like everyone is using the Oppo to upscale to UHD/4k rather than letting your UHD/4k TV do it? I was thinking I should just have the Oppo do the Darbee processing and let the TV do the upscale.
post #4396 of 6066 Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
Can the Oppo downmix the L, R, C, & LFE channels (but not the surround channels) into the analog stereo RCA outputs?

thanks.
The BDP-103D does not have any dedicated stereo outputs, but the Front Left and Right outputs can receive a downmix of the Center, Surround, and Surround Back.
post #4397 of 6066 Old 06-11-2014, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuentinH View Post
Since I'm reading a lot of posts regarding output settings, it sounds like everyone is using the Oppo to upscale to UHD/4k rather than letting your UHD/4k TV do it? I was thinking I should just have the Oppo do the Darbee processing and let the TV do the upscale.
The player is usually more accurate than the television when de-interlacing and scaling, which is why most people will use the player to output at 4Kx2K.

Last edited by Neuromancer; 06-12-2014 at 12:14 AM.
post #4398 of 6066 Old 06-12-2014, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
The BDP-103D does not have any dedicated stereo outputs, but the Front Left and Right outputs can receive a downmix of the Center, Surround, and Surround Back.
Thanks Neuromancer. To confirm, there's no way to mix in the LFE and subtract the surrounds from the downmix output at the Left and Right RCA outputs?
post #4399 of 6066 Old 06-12-2014, 07:35 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
^ Sure there is. Leave them enabled and they are not down-mixed.

For example, wire LF/RF only from the multi-channel Analog set. Then in Speaker Configuration, set Down-mix to 7.1. Then in Speaker Configuration, set Subwoofer and Center to OFF. Set LF/RF, and all 4 Surrounds to LARGE.

Any Center or LFE (i.e., Sub channel) content in what you play will be down-mixed into LF/RF. Any Surround channel content in what you play will go out the 4 Surround jacks. If you want to DISCARD that SURROUND content, simply don't wire those 4 jacks. If you want to hear it, then wire to your 4 Surround speakers.

Note that you will have about -15dB "down-mix attenuation" as the player needs to establish headroom on the LF/RF jacks for their combo of output. Raise volume in your Pre-amp to compensate. You should experiment with setting Subwoofer to ON (even though not wired) to discard any LFE channel content. That will significantly reduce the required attenuation and you may like the result better.

If you add a Center speaker as well, just change it from OFF to LARGE.

NOTE: If your intent is to use the Analog outputs as your primary audio, then you should look at the 105D, as it has a more exotic Analog audio output solution.

NOTE 2: Down-mixing can not happen if you are using DSD-Direct-to-Analog Conversion, as when playing SACD discs. So set SACD Output = PCM to avoid that.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-12-2014 at 07:39 AM.
post #4400 of 6066 Old 06-12-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks, Neuro. I got it.

I don't get my UHD/4k TV until next month, but I'm going to try both ways (player and TV) and I'll report back any differences if I see any.
post #4401 of 6066 Old 06-12-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer View Post
Already did.
Our strange new/old world is acting ... strange. At least the timing is strange.

Deleted no longer relevant posts.

Last edited by htwaits; 06-12-2014 at 01:35 PM.
post #4402 of 6066 Old 06-12-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Sure there is. Leave them enabled and they are not down-mixed. --Bob
Thanks Bob. I'm feeling optimistic now. Would you mind reading about my situation and tell me if you think it will work? I know it's less than ideal, but....

I'm moving to a new house where a sub and center are not practical. It will be a 4.0 set-up. I have good stereo equipment (Adcom GFP-750 preamplifier, Parasound HCA-1500A stereo amplifier, Paradigm Studio 60 speakers), but my AV receiver is not nearly of that quality so I'd like to take it out of the loop as much as possible.

It would be a kludge, but if I can find a Blu-Ray player that performs the proper downmix (L,R,C,LFE) to RCA outputs, then I can feed the output of the player to my quality pre-amp and amplifier. Simultaneously, I feed the output of the surrounds (via the HDMI output of the player) to my cheap AV receiver. The hassle will be whenever I change the volume for the Blu-Ray player I'll have to change the front speakers and surrounds separately.

Will the Oppo simultaneously output a signal to the RCA and HDMI outputs? Or if anyone can think of a better workaround, I'm all ears.

-thanks
post #4403 of 6066 Old 06-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
Thanks Bob. I'm feeling optimistic now. Would you mind reading about my situation and tell me if you think it will work? I know it's less than ideal, but....

I'm moving to a new house where a sub and center are not practical. It will be a 4.0 set-up. I have good stereo equipment (Adcom GFP-750 preamplifier, Parasound HCA-1500A stereo amplifier, Paradigm Studio 60 speakers), but my AV receiver is not nearly of that quality so I'd like to take it out of the loop as much as possible.

It would be a kludge, but if I can find a Blu-Ray player that performs the proper downmix (L,R,C,LFE) to RCA outputs, then I can feed the output of the player to my quality pre-amp and amplifier. Simultaneously, I feed the output of the surrounds (via the HDMI output of the player) to my cheap AV receiver. The hassle will be whenever I change the volume for the Blu-Ray player I'll have to change the front speakers and surrounds separately.

Will the Oppo simultaneously output a signal to the RCA and HDMI outputs? Or if anyone can think of a better workaround, I'm all ears.

-thanks
Yes, all audio outputs are live simultaneously. However a kludge setup like this is pretty scary on the face of it.

The HDMI signal will carry all channels, and your AVR will do whatever it is designed to do with those depending on what IT allows for speaker configuration. Volume control is only part of it. You'll also be splitting Speaker Distance compensation between the OPPO and your cheap AVR. Besides, how cheap are we talking? Can it handle things like Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA? If not the HDMI audio will be carrying the "compatibility" lossy audio track while the Analog outputs are playing the lossless track.

I'f you have to use the Cheap AVR for the surrounds, I'd be happier if you wired an RCA pair from the OPPO Side Surround outputs to a stereo input pair on the AVR. Then set the AVR to use that for audio. You'll still have volume problems etc, but you won't have HDMI sticking its oar in. Use the LF/RF outputs of the AVR to drive your two surround speakers.

You could go HDMI direct to your display and not even send HDMI through the AVR for example.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4404 of 6066 Old 06-12-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Yes, all audio outputs are live simultaneously. However a kludge setup like this is pretty scary on the face of it.--Bob
The "cheap" AV receiver is a Panasonic SA-XR55. I don't believe it can decode those lossless formats.
I like your idea of using the RCA outputs of the player for the surrounds rather than HDMI. Thanks for your help.
post #4405 of 6066 Old 06-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi,
I'm going to "simply" my audio chain. Do you think the following plan a good idea?

1. Ditch old br player and cd player and Yamaha receiver.
2. Buy Oppo 103D to directly drive Emotiva UPA500.
3. I only have 5.1 setup and not intend to add speakers.
4. HTPC's HDMI output to Oppo's HDMI input. Still need HTPC to play some odd format that Oppo doesn't support, such as rmvb.
5. Music would be CD and flac/mp3 files stored in a network samba share drive. No other audio sources so SPDIF or USB input is not needed.

Do you think the 103D's volume control is granular enough for both music and movie watching? By distching the receiver this will be my only volume control.

Yes I understand the 105D has a much better DAC which is more suitable for this job, but the $700 price difference is hard to swallow. Does the analog audio quality between 103 and 105 justify the price? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by hotjt133; 06-12-2014 at 06:43 PM.
post #4406 of 6066 Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 274
My 103D came in along with the Spears and Munsil Calibration disc. I have always been an audio side kind of guy and always just set my Panasonic 50ST50 to the recommended settings and felt blu rays looked great! But after getting this baby installed and toggling the darbee on and off I have caught the videophile bug!!! Looking forward to going to the S&M site to see how to do the calibrations and run through that process! I expect it to get even better.

I am sure this is always covered but what percent do you run? 35 and Hi Def is recommend in first post. But I liked Full Pop and around 70. But that may be immature videophile disease lol. Looking forward to more.

I am throughly impressed with this unit and to be honest was on the fence for a long time (year) about buying this. I don't roll in cash like some on AVS and I have put all my money into the audio side. So a 600 BD player is not a drop in the bucket for me. But I did some side work and made the jump and am glad I did. You can just tell the quality from the packaging to the unit to the remote.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #4407 of 6066 Old 06-13-2014, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 274
also what is the common way to set these up in the chain? I know they can do more than the average BD player but just want to be sure I get the best performance. Just have it hooked into my Denon 4520 is all. I assume thats normal behavior

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #4408 of 6066 Old 06-13-2014, 01:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
also what is the common way to set these up in the chain? I know they can do more than the average BD player but just want to be sure I get the best performance. Just have it hooked into my Denon 4520 is all. I assume thats normal behavior
Player > AVR > Display via HDMI 1 is the most common setup. Any other setup should probably be used to solve a problem.

Last edited by htwaits; 06-13-2014 at 03:40 PM.
post #4409 of 6066 Old 06-13-2014, 02:05 AM

Liked: 54
DAMN! Love how silent and speedy this player is! The best yet! Can't say it enough!
Still wish they'd let me display the pretty Oppo Blu-ray splash screen instead of the ugly 'home' screen
If I'd want the 'home' screen I'd press the dedicated button for it!

RickyDeg

| PRIMARE SP33 (processor/DAC)

| PRIMARE A30.7 (multichannel amp)

KEN KREISEL Q125 / DXD-12012 (5.1 speaker system)

SAMSUNG LE-52B755 (tv)

OPPO BDP-103D (blu-ray transport)

NAIM UNITISERVE (HDD music server)

ISOTEK AQUARIUS (mainsfilter)

post #4410 of 6066 Old 06-13-2014, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just getting my first Oppo today. Since my display is not a "true" 4K display (it's a JVC e-shift 3 projector), should I still opt for letting the Oppo do the upscaling?

I have tried using my old blu-ray player (Sony S790) do the upscaling in the past and was not too thrilled. Will the Oppo be better at that job?

Thanks.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page