Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 150 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4471 of 5514 Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 145
^ Most likely the player is defaulting to 2.0 since it detects the source (a stereo tv) to be only capable of stereo.
Why don't you try routing the tv through the player and then on to the soundbar.
That way you can have you tv/cable upscaled to 1080p with Darbee, and hopefully your soundbar will not default the player to 2.0 like it does with the tv.
There should also not be any difference between bitstream and LPCM, so you could try that setting too.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 5514 Old 06-22-2014, 09:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 896
^ This is complicated by the fact that the OPPO plays and outputs many more audio formats than your DirecTV box -- which only outputs traditional, lossy, DD 5.1.

Try this, set the OPPO to HDMI Audio Bitstream. Double check that you have HDMI 1 output from the OPPO cabled to the TV, and that HDMI 2 is not cabled.

On Spears & Munsil, go to the Audio Calibration > Channel ID tests and play the traditional, lossy, Dolby Digital DD 5.1 test track. What do you get on the sound bar?

While that is playing, press the Info button on the OPPO remote. The on-screen Info display will show you what audio format is being read off the disc (bottom line, left). Now use Page Up or Page Down to change that display. The Info display will now show you what's going out on the HDMI cables. Check the bottom line left to make sure DD 5.1 is being sent to the TV.

If DD 5.1 is being sent to the TV and you are still only hearing a 2.0 down-mix on the sound-bar, check your settings for the input you are using on the TV for the HDMI cable from the OPPO. It is likely the TV remembers settings "per input". Make sure the audio settings for that input are set to send a Bitstream to the sound bar. (The optical cable can only carry LPCM as Stereo.)

Once you get DD 5.1 working, the complicated stuff starts. We'll get to that in a bit.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4473 of 5514 Old 06-22-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Most likely the player is defaulting to 2.0 since it detects the source (a stereo tv) to be only capable of stereo.
Why don't you try routing the tv through the player and then on to the soundbar.
That way you can have you tv/cable upscaled to 1080p with Darbee, and hopefully your soundbar will not default the player to 2.0 like it does with the tv.
There should also not be any difference between bitstream and LPCM, so you could try that setting too.
Thanks.

So it doesn't matter that I tell it in the Oppo settings to send 5.1, it will "detect" something else? Also, the TV can receive and process 5.1 on it's own. Without the sound bar it simply simulates it with it's internal speakers. So if Oppo is detecting 2.0 I'm not sure why. All my other 3 sources are sending 5.1 to it without issue.

When you say route the TV through it, do you mean the DirecTV box? I have considered that and may still try it. But I didn't love having to leave the Oppo on all the time or having to train everyone in the house to constantly turn it on every time they use the TV which 95% of the time will be DirecTV. We have a Harmony remote in our other room and no one but me likes to use it. For the most part they are only touching the DirecTV remote. In any event, unless you're saying I would then route the optical cable from the Oppo it wouldn't change the issue of what it sends to the TV and could make it worse since the DirecTV currently has no problem getting 5.1 through the TV to the sound bar. But if I connect the sound bar to the Oppo, I'd be out of luck using it on all my other sources, like my Apple TV and XBox.

WHen I find the time I will try temporarily routing the optical from the sound bar straight to the Oppo just to confirm whether the issue is what the Oppo is sending/processing or what it is uniquely sending to the TV.
post #4474 of 5514 Old 06-22-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 166
^ Citivas, I'm surprised your tv produces 5.1 on its optical output from an hdmi source. Most tv's, including my Samsung, can't produce DD 5.1 from its optical output from an hdmi source due to HDCP (High Density Bandwidth Content Protection).
post #4475 of 5514 Old 06-22-2014, 09:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's possible the DirecTV channels he is playing are not Copy Protected.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4476 of 5514 Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ Citivas, I'm surprised your tv produces 5.1 on its optical output from an hdmi source. Most tv's, including my Samsung, can't produce DD 5.1 from its optical output from an hdmi source due to HDCP (High Density Bandwidth Content Protection).
Yep. That's one of the things I liked about it, because so few sets do it. Some of the Sonys do too. It can output both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 through the optical. The Vizio is surprising in a few ways, this being one of them. The late model firmware also has a robust CMS. Full color management, 11 point greyscale, etc. Each input (4 HDMI, 1 hybrid component/composite, 3 USB and the internal Apps) can have 8 user-defined custom picture and audio settings each, with customized names. So for any given source I can, for example, create settings like "day," "night" "24p" "sports" etc. that are in addition to the 7 pre-set options, any of which I can use as a starting point for my customized settings. Or if you are tweaking your settings, you can use a previous one as a jumping off point for a new set and compare the result -- i.e. "Dark1" "DarkNew" etc. The learning remote is also both IR and wi-fi and doesn't require line of site for the TV. And the TV is clever enough to pass volume requests through to the sound bar even from third party remotes like my DIrecTV remote.
post #4477 of 5514 Old 06-22-2014, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ This is complicated by the fact that the OPPO plays and outputs many more audio formats than your DirecTV box -- which only outputs traditional, lossy, DD 5.1.

Try this, set the OPPO to HDMI Audio Bitstream. Double check that you have HDMI 1 output from the OPPO cabled to the TV, and that HDMI 2 is not cabled.

On Spears & Munsil, go to the Audio Calibration > Channel ID tests and play the traditional, lossy, Dolby Digital DD 5.1 test track. What do you get on the sound bar?

While that is playing, press the Info button on the OPPO remote. The on-screen Info display will show you what audio format is being read off the disc (bottom line, left). Now use Page Up or Page Down to change that display. The Info display will now show you what's going out on the HDMI cables. Check the bottom line left to make sure DD 5.1 is being sent to the TV.

If DD 5.1 is being sent to the TV and you are still only hearing a 2.0 down-mix on the sound-bar, check your settings for the input you are using on the TV for the HDMI cable from the OPPO. It is likely the TV remembers settings "per input". Make sure the audio settings for that input are set to send a Bitstream to the sound bar. (The optical cable can only carry LPCM as Stereo.)

Once you get DD 5.1 working, the complicated stuff starts. We'll get to that in a bit.
--Bob
Thanks. I'll try all this at my next opportunity.
post #4478 of 5514 Old 06-22-2014, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 238
So I am getting a weird something happening. I popped in a CD into my Oppo just to listen to the SQ and perhaps any differences I may get from my ALAC lossless audio files I have in iTunes on my HT Mac mini. Everything works but when I go to "stereo" listening preset on my Denon 4520 I can hear my Denon click like the amps shut off and I get no sound. I don't know if that is it for sure but it clicks. The same click when powering off and the same one you get when you enter the Audyssey menu. The other presets all work. All the ones we won't ever use like rock arena, etc. And the Dolby and DTS multi ch ones all work. Just not stereo and my Denon clicks off or something.
post #4479 of 5514 Old 06-22-2014, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

double post
post #4480 of 5514 Old 06-22-2014, 11:36 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
So I am getting a weird something happening. I popped in a CD into my Oppo just to listen to the SQ and perhaps any differences I may get from my ALAC lossless audio files I have in iTunes on my HT Mac mini. Everything works but when I go to "stereo" listening preset on my Denon 4520 I can hear my Denon click like the amps shut off and I get no sound. I don't know if that is it for sure but it clicks. The same click when powering off and the same one you get when you enter the Audyssey menu. The other presets all work. All the ones we won't ever use like rock arena, etc. And the Dolby and DTS multi ch ones all work. Just not stereo and my Denon clicks off or something.
Those are probably Muting relays. Why it thinks it has to Mute when you do that I do not know.
--Bob

post #4481 of 5514 Old 06-22-2014, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Those are probably Muting relays. Why it thinks it has to Mute when you do that I do not know.
--Bob
Yea thats weird. Any ideas for troubleshooting?
post #4482 of 5514 Old 06-23-2014, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
My 60 inch sony does. But I have to change the sound option from TV to audio system in the tv's menu. Then it will pass 5.1. DD.
post #4483 of 5514 Old 06-23-2014, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citivas View Post
Yep. That's one of the things I liked about it, because so few sets do it. Some of the Sonys do too. It can output both Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 through the optical. The Vizio is surprising in a few ways, this being one of them. The late model firmware also has a robust CMS. Full color management, 11 point greyscale, etc. Each input (4 HDMI, 1 hybrid component/composite, 3 USB and the internal Apps) can have 8 user-defined custom picture and audio settings each, with customized names. So for any given source I can, for example, create settings like "day," "night" "24p" "sports" etc. that are in addition to the 7 pre-set options, any of which I can use as a starting point for my customized settings. Or if you are tweaking your settings, you can use a previous one as a jumping off point for a new set and compare the result -- i.e. "Dark1" "DarkNew" etc. The learning remote is also both IR and wi-fi and doesn't require line of site for the TV. And the TV is clever enough to pass volume requests through to the sound bar even from third party remotes like my DIrecTV remote.
The exact configuration of the various Vizio models varies both by the model (hardware) and the firmware. The M501, for example, outputs 5.1 via it's optical port, which was one of the selling points for me (that was when I had a receiver which did not support the HDMI ARC (audio return channel) function).

Last edited by mhobart; 06-23-2014 at 05:51 AM. Reason: typo
post #4484 of 5514 Old 06-23-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 80
We'll I just joined the club. :-)

I ordered the Oppo just now with 3 day shipping. Now I can't wait to see its performance with my Benq w1070.

Besides the Darbee setting should I adjust and other picture setting or leave that alone?
post #4485 of 5514 Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Leave the OPPO Picture Adjustment settings at their factory default (0) values.

Use a calibration disc -- e.g., Spears & Munsil v2 from OPPO -- to adjust the video level settings in your projector as needed.
--Bob

post #4486 of 5514 Old 06-23-2014, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rhapsody

Hello
Just activated Rhapsody. I am satisfied with the sound but a couple of minutes into a song it stops and goes to the next track and then again on the next track and continues to do this.. It does this for every song. Please forgive me if this has been addressed before. I downloaded the May 19th firmware in May and did factory resets. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
post #4487 of 5514 Old 06-23-2014, 06:44 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hello
Just activated Rhapsody. I am satisfied with the sound but a couple of minutes into a song it stops and goes to the next track and then again on the next track and continues to do this.. It does this for every song. Please forgive me if this has been addressed before. I downloaded the May 19th firmware in May and did factory resets. Any help would be appreciated.

Rob
Send OPPO an email identifying the tracks you are playing, and they can check it out.
--Bob
post #4488 of 5514 Old 06-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Send OPPO an email identifying the tracks you are playing, and they can check it out.
--Bob
Thanks Bob
Will do. It just seems odd that every track does this.

Rob
post #4489 of 5514 Old 06-24-2014, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can anyone help. Just got a Onkyo 636 avr and there's a small delay to audio video sync with the 103d it doesn't happen on other inputs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Onkyo TX-NR636 - Kef Q1,5,9C speakers and Rel 150 sub - Sennheiser HD650 Headphones
post #4490 of 5514 Old 06-24-2014, 03:01 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ How are you cabled for audio and video? One HDMI cable from the HDMI 1 output with both HDMI audio and HDMI video going through the new Onkyo, or something more complicated?

If video is running through the new Onkyo it may be slow to process 1080p/24 video (which your other sources are unlikely to be sending). Try setting 1080p/24 Output OFF.

Is audio ahead of video or behind video? How much? You can check this with a calibration disc such as Spears & Munsil v2, Blu-ray, available from OPPO or Disney's WOW World of Wonder, Blu-ray, available from Amazon. Don't rely on a movie as your test of A/V Sync as the movie content itself my have inherent sync error.

There's an A/V Sync setting in Setup > Audio Processing. Positive values add additional audio delay.
--Bob

post #4491 of 5514 Old 06-24-2014, 03:51 PM

Thanks. I've turned off 1080 24. It's audio before video. It's so small it's barely noticeable but none the less drives me nuts. I just have one hdmi cable so running video and audio through the avr with the cable provided.

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Onkyo TX-NR636 - Kef Q1,5,9C speakers and Rel 150 sub - Sennheiser HD650 Headphones
post #4492 of 5514 Old 06-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ OK, sounds like the video processing in the new Onkyo is a bit slow. Could also be your display if the display wasn't part of your previous arrangement.

Anyway, Setup > Audio Processing > A/V Sync with a small positive value should fix this for you by adding a small amount of audio delay. It is best to adjust this using content of known sync quality -- meaning do it with a calibration disc such as one of the two I cited above.

If you've asked the Onkyo (or your display) to do an sort of video "enhancement" processing, you could also try turning that OFF to reduce the video processing time. Such "enhancements" are usually used for making crappy sources look better, and just get in the way when playing quality video.
--Bob

post #4493 of 5514 Old 06-24-2014, 04:07 PM

Ah think I found it. There was a lip sync option in the onkyo hidden away that I think threw it. Loads of options in this new avr must have missed it. Thanks anyway

post #4494 of 5514 Old 06-25-2014, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Anyone here who can make the 103D display a perfect croma multiburst out of HDMI 1, running 1080P 4:2:2 ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	134930  

post #4495 of 5514 Old 06-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes, it works OK for me. Both YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:4:4. Explicit 1080p Resolution (not Auto and not Source Direct), Deep Color OFF, 1080p/24 Output AUTO. Works for both 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 output.
--Bob

post #4496 of 5514 Old 06-25-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridsvognen View Post
Anyone here who can make the 103D display a perfect croma multiburst out of HDMI 1, running 1080P 4:2:2 ?
Most likely this is down to your display itself, since its probably re-sampling 4:2:2 to something else.
post #4497 of 5514 Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyOmega View Post
Can anyone help. Just got a Onkyo 636 avr and there's a small delay to audio video sync with the 103d it doesn't happen on other inputs.

You can adjust the delay for each inputs on your Onkyo TX-NR636. That should take care is the delay.
post #4498 of 5514 Old 06-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
^ Yes, it works OK for me. Both YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:4:4. Explicit 1080p Resolution (not Auto and not Source Direct), Deep Color OFF, 1080p/24 Output AUTO. Works for both 1080p/60 and 1080p/24 output.
--Bob
I can make 4:4:4 work right out of HDMI 1 and 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 work right out of HDMI 2. But no way has it been possible to make it do the 4:2:2 right out of HDMI 1.

Can you try post a screenshot of your 103D 4:2:2 out of HDMI 1.?

I asked others who confirmed the problem on 103/105D players.

I also see some ringing on the croma zone plate running 4:4:4 out, wich is not there running 4:2:2 out, and i have a Denon 4010 and OPPO 83 that also dont have this ringing.

This i can only see on my CRT projector, as my flat scren have more ringing than the player.

post #4499 of 5514 Old 06-25-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Most likely this is down to your display itself, since its probably re-sampling 4:2:2 to something else.
Just wonder why i can make it right with 1 HDMI output and not the other, and other players then. I have a OPPO 83 and Denon 4010 and A1UD, and i testet on different displays.

I would like to display this confirming the colorspace using my Lumagen Radiance, but it has worse croma issues than the 103D. ill see if i can capture a difference that way around later tonight.

post #4500 of 5514 Old 06-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridsvognen View Post
I can make 4:4:4 work right out of HDMI 1 and 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 work right out of HDMI 2. But no way has it been possible to make it do the 4:2:2 right out of HDMI 1.

Can you try post a screenshot of your 103D 4:2:2 out of HDMI 1.?

I asked others who confirmed the problem on 103/105D players.

I also see some ringing on the croma zone plate running 4:4:4 out, wich is not there running 4:2:2 out, and i have a Denon 4010 and OPPO 83 that also dont have this ringing.

This i can only see on my CRT projector, as my flat scren have more ringing than the player.
Ringing is usually due to Sharpness being set too high somewhere in the video path. In the OPPO, all Picture Adjustment settings should be left at their factory default (0) values.

Then check your display -- and any AVR through which the video is going -- to make sure they are not adding Sharpness, either via Sharpness setting or via a video "enhancement" feature.
--Bob

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page