Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 6067 Old 06-25-2014, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Ringing is usually due to Sharpness being set too high somewhere in the video path. In the OPPO, all Picture Adjustment settings should be left at their factory default (0) values.

Then check your display -- and any AVR through which the video is going -- to make sure they are not adding Sharpness, either via Sharpness setting or via a video "enhancement" feature.
--Bob
That has all been done, unless the 0 setting is wrong. Again, its only a issue on the 103D not my other players. Its not much, the nice thing testing with a 3 tube CRT is that i can look into the tubes, and see whats going on in each color. Ill try if i can see this on my JVC projector to, i have not testet that yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 6067 Old 06-25-2014, 01:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridsvognen View Post
I can make 4:4:4 work right out of HDMI 1 and 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 work right out of HDMI 2. But no way has it been possible to make it do the 4:2:2 right out of HDMI 1.

Can you try post a screenshot of your 103D 4:2:2 out of HDMI 1.?

I asked others who confirmed the problem on 103/105D players.

I also see some ringing on the croma zone plate running 4:4:4 out, wich is not there running 4:2:2 out, and i have a Denon 4010 and OPPO 83 that also dont have this ringing.

This i can only see on my CRT projector, as my flat scren have more ringing than the player.
OK, I just retested and I can confirm that you are CORRECT. There *IS* a problem with the Chroma Multiburst chart using YCbCr 4:2:2 output on HDMI 1 of the 105D. (I don't have a 103D handy to test, but they use the same stuff, so it is highly likely the problem is there, too.)

My apologizes for my prior, incorrect statement above that there was no such problem. It just goes to show it pays to retest stuff when a problem is reported instead of assuming prior test results still hold true.

I checked, and there is no such problem in the original 103 (which also means the original 105).

On the 105D, YCbCr 4:4:4 and RGB Video Level output also produce correct results.

I'll post your finding through Beta Tester channels.

------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I also checked for ringing while doing this, and I'm still not seeing any ringing in my test setup.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4503 of 6067 Old 06-25-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
OK, I just retested and I can confirm that you are CORRECT. There *IS* a problem with the Chroma Multiburst chart using YCbCr 4:2:2 output on HDMI 1 of the 105D. (I don't have a 103D handy to test, but they use the same stuff, so it is highly likely the problem is there, too.)

My apologizes for my prior, incorrect statement above that there was no such problem. It just goes to show it pays to retest stuff when a problem is reported instead of assuming prior test results still hold true.

I checked, and there is no such problem in the original 103 (which also means the original 105).

On the 105D, YCbCr 4:4:4 and RGB Video Level output also produce correct results.

I'll post your finding through Beta Tester channels.

------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I also checked for ringing while doing this, and I'm still not seeing any ringing in my test setup.
--Bob
Thanks for taking your time to test this.

The ringing is a bit more tricky, im not sure it will show up on many digital displays, ill try see if i can find a way to show it.

I did contact OPPO about this Croma issue, but was just told to do a factory reset, and for now nothing else, i followed up sending screenshots and asked them if they could confirm my findings, or if my unit might be defect.

Lets hope the next firmware will fix this. Until then ill just use HDMI 2 out.

And ill also like to say that the 103D is a very nice/ the best netflix streamer i have seen so far, and tested a bit of PAL DVD, and it looks very good, later ill test if it will compete with my Denon DVD A1XVA Lumagen Radiance setup, i think it will.

post #4504 of 6067 Old 06-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Why not just use YCbCr 4:4:4 on HDMI 1?
--Bob
Ricker Dave likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4505 of 6067 Old 06-25-2014, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Speaking of which. What is the best deep colour option to use. My panel is supposedly 10bit. So should see it on some media

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Onkyo TX-NR636 - Kef Q1,5,9C speakers and Rel 150 sub - Sennheiser HD650 Headphones
post #4506 of 6067 Old 06-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Read the FAQ!

Stridsvognen,
By the way, there's also no problem with YCbCr 4:2:2 when using Source Direct output from my test 105D.
--Bob

post #4507 of 6067 Old 06-25-2014, 02:59 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyOmega View Post
Speaking of which. What is the best deep colour option to use. My panel is supposedly 10bit. So should see it on some media

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
There's no pat answer to this. But first realize that there's no Deep Color content out there. None.

And that means the only thing that 30 or 36 bits per pixel output can do for you (compared to the "normal" 24 bits per pixel) is carry video processing "rounding bits" across the cable to the display.

And THAT means that AT BEST the "real" value of enabling Deep Color will be subtle, even vanishingly small.

HOWEVER, that assumes everything is working right! And often in displays that's just not the case. And that means the display MAY do better with some Deep Color choices than with others, just as it may do better with different Color Space choices. Since we are talking about design flaws here (read bugs), there's no logic to it -- no way to predict.

So there's nothing for it but to try the Deep Color choices and see if you can spot a reason to prefer any of them over the others. Really it's a matter of trying the combos of Color Space and Deep Color.

If you CAN'T spot a reason to prefer Deep Color 30 or 36 bit, then set Deep Color OFF. Why? Because that puts less bandwidth on the HDMI cable, and thus you are less likely to have HDMI handshake issues.

Differences due to Deep Color choices can be tricky to spot. You are not likely to see differences in calibration charts for example. I've got one particular test scene I like to use in Chapter 10 of "Ratatouille", Blu-ray. Search for posts by me in this forum mentioning "Ratatouille" and you'll find the details.

Keep in mind that if everything is working RIGHT you won't be able to see ANY differences -- or they will be so insignificant that you'll find it hard to judge. If you DO happen to see substantial differences, then you've spotted one of those quirks in your Display. Discard the Color Space/Deep Color combos that exhibit such quirks and use one of the remaining combos. And be happy your display has at least one combo it can render "quirk free".
--Bob
WhiskeyOmega likes this.

post #4508 of 6067 Old 06-25-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Stridsvognen,
By the way, there's also no problem with YCbCr 4:2:2 when using Source Direct output from my test 105D.
--Bob
I can confirm that, i have failed to test that, as i often test both digital and analog/ CRT display using the same settings, and for CRT i need 60hz.

The ringing i can see on my JVC X7 to, and when testing with the JVC i get a elevated vertical high frequence croma on the multiburst running 4:4:4 and RGB, i dont see this on my flat screen.

Testing with my old OPPO 83 it all looks perfect no matter the settings.

It looks a bit like peaking on a analog display to the vertical lines. It might be noise relatet, and different displays behave different to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	croma multiburst.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	135425  
lanping09 likes this.

Last edited by Stridsvognen; 06-25-2014 at 03:15 PM.
post #4509 of 6067 Old 06-25-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 100
My 103d arrives tomorrow.
post #4510 of 6067 Old 06-26-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I have a Legacy (Non 3D or 4K) Yamaha RX-Z11 receiver. (It's in pass-thru mode) How's the best way to connect the 103D? Can I run the HDMI output from the receiver to the input on the 103D to utilize the on-board processing on all my sources that are running through the Z11, and then run 1 of the HDMI outputs to the Z11 for audio and the other output straight to my JVC projector?
post #4511 of 6067 Old 06-26-2014, 02:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
I have a Legacy (Non 3D or 4K) Yamaha RX-Z11 receiver. (It's in pass-thru mode) How's the best way to connect the 103D? Can I run the HDMI output from the receiver to the input on the 103D to utilize the on-board processing on all my sources that are running through the Z11, and then run 1 of the HDMI outputs to the Z11 for audio and the other output straight to my JVC projector?
You may create a loop by running the avr through the player and then back to the avr again.
Results vary depending on the equipment used. Some people get a way with it, most don't.
Normally you need to run through the avr, then the player, then the display.
OR... through the player, then the avr, then the display.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4512 of 6067 Old 06-26-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
You may create a loop by running the avr through the player and then back to the avr again.
Results vary depending on the equipment used. Some people get a way with it, most don't.
Normally you need to run through the avr, then the player, then the display.
OR... through the player, then the avr, then the display.
The HDMI running back to the receiver would be for audio only when using the 103D as a source.
post #4513 of 6067 Old 06-26-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Got my 103d and like it so far. I need to play with it and see what I like. Right now I kind of like high def 50%.

One question. With the Darbee demo I notice off, split, and wipe. When I see reviews of the wipe option it moves faster and from side to side, not left to right repeat. Is there an adjustment?
post #4514 of 6067 Old 06-26-2014, 12:08 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Nope.
--Bob
post #4515 of 6067 Old 06-26-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ Nope.
--Bob
Thanks, I think it's from the Darbee standalone unit.
post #4516 of 6067 Old 06-26-2014, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is anyone else experiencing loud popping sounds/clicks between songs when playing hi rez files through the USB inputs? I am using a thumb drive connected to the front USB input.

Also, i tried everything to get PCM over coaxial from SACD Stereo but i get no audio. And yes, i selected 'PCM' for SACD output and i am on the latest FW.

Thanks.

post #4517 of 6067 Old 06-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ SACD content is not licensed for transmission on the S/PDIF outputs (Optical and Coax). Your choices for SACD are Analog and HDMI.

As for your USB media files, if you get samples to OPPO Tech Support they can check it out and see what's up. The type of pops you are reporting are *NOT* normal.
--Bob

post #4518 of 6067 Old 06-26-2014, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the quick response Bob, I knew DSD could not be passed through S/PDIF outputs, however i assumed that once converted to PCM (88.2Khz) it would be no different than DVD-Audio which 'does' pass 96khz PCM signals through S/PDIF. Didn't realize this is only possible through HDMI since it is a PCM signal...

Unfortunately the vast majority of external DACs do not have HDMI inputs

post #4519 of 6067 Old 06-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's the licensing for SACD itself that prohibits this.
--Bob

post #4520 of 6067 Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok I spent about 4-5 hours last night playing with my new Oppo. After dealing with tech support, btw very helpful on the phone, I think I have everything set.

I do like the player so far with Darbee. I think if I did not have a PJ the Darbee is not worth it to me.

One issue was after I got back home yesterday I decided to hook up hdmi 2 to my Denon receiver. I set the oppo to output lpcm and it sounded a lot better than the digital coaxial. I left both connected to switch back and fourth. This is when I noticed something weird. I will get back to that in a minute.

The first call to tech was due the the Darbee demo was messed up. It would start to wipe and keep flickering and jumping back to the beginning and never make it past 1/3 screen. After help from tech support they told me to download the firmware onto a flash drive and reapply. The player updated after the first power cycle when I first hooked it up. So after reapplying the FW it is now ok. The wipe line is not real smooth but slightly glittery, is this correct? The tech said it was.

Now back to the lpcm. I called back to tech because when I use hdmi 2 for lpcm I get a weird flickering around the oppo home screen icons. As soon as I change my receiver to coaxial input it's is perfectly fine also real crisp. Tech could not explain it as I think something in my old Denon is giving feedback. Now I only use my Denon for sound no picture goes thru it. So the oppo is going hdmi 1 directly to the PJ and hdmi 2 to the denon, split av setting.

After playing for hours on end, I even removed the oppo from the PJ and hooked it to my Sony tv. It did the same thing but not as pronounced due to the smaller screen. The only time it was fine is if I connect both hdmi 1 and 2 to my tv to see if hdmi 2 buy itself had noise. This is what the tech said to do. The weird thing is that it only happens on hdmi 1 when using hdmi 2 for sound only. Very crazy.

So after playing with every setting in the Denon and Oppo I think I figured it out. I changed the output resolution on the oppo to 1080p from auto and it disappeared no issues. Then while playing around I noticed that the noise in the picture was only present with 1080p 60. Because if I turn off 24p it would have noise in the movie after it loaded. So with the home screen at 1080p 60 it has some type of feed back or handshake issue with the Denon to produce noise. Does this make sense? Sorry for the long post and all over the board. But now that it's ok should I be worried that the denon can be back feeding to effect hdmi 1? The tech was puzzled just as I was. I told him I would play around but by the time I figured it out support was closed. I'm going to call back today to explain. Maybe a bug in the FW.

What dies everyone think?
post #4521 of 6067 Old 06-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ First, some lack of smoothness in the Darbee Swipe Screen Demo line is "normal" so you can stop worrying about that one. Keep in mind you should turn the Demo Mode off for normal viewing.

Now, image problems which happen at 1080p/60 but not at 1080p/24 almost always come down to HDMI cabling problems. 1080p/60 puts considerably more signal bandwidth on the HDMI cable.

So start by checking your cabling:

1) If you ALSO have an HDMI cable running from the back of your AVR to your Display -- even though that is not in use at the moment -- try physically disconnecting that. Does the problem go away? If so there's a different diagnostic path here, so check this first.

If you have anything attached to the HDMI *INPUTS* of the OPPO disconnect those as well and check to see if the problem still exists. Again, check this first, because a problem here means something different is going on.

2) In the OPPO, check Setup > Video Setup > HDMI Options and confirm that you have Deep Color set to OFF for BOTH the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs.

Also set the Color Space for both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 to YCbCr 4:4:4 instead of AUTO.

In Setup > Video Setup check that you have Dual Display mode set to SPLIT A/V.

In Setup > Video Setup confirm you have Resolution set to 1080p -- not AUTO and not SOURCE DIRECT.

In Setup > Audio Format confirm you have HDMI Audio set to LPCM -- not AUTO.

In Setup > Device Setup confirm you have HDMI CEC set to OFF.

The purpose of the above is to "simplify" the HDMI handshake. Now check again and see if the problem still exists on the OPPO Home Menu screen. If not, then we can explore which settings you just changed above make the problem come back.

3) If the problem DOES still exist then, without changing anything else, use the Resolution button on the remote (lower left) and select a lower output Resolution. Try 1080i, 720p, and 480p. (480p -- not 480i -- is the "simplest" resolution for HDMI to handle.) If the problem exists at 1080p but not at any of the lower resolutions, then there is an HDMI bandwidth problem -- i.e., marginal HDMI cabling or a faulty HDMI connection.

4) Next take a careful look at HOW you are connected. Double check that you haven't confused the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs on the back of the OPPO. HDMI is just a friction fit, and even a small shift of plug in socket can screw things up, so check that each HDMI plug is fully inserted STRAIGHT into its socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight or kinks in the cable) tugging the plug in any direction. Check both ends of BOTH HDMI cables -- the one to the Display and the one to the AVR.

5) Try the "wiggle test". Set up so that the problem is showing on your Display. Grab an HDMI cable about an inch back from its plug. Now gently push the plug straight into the socket while giving the cable a little wiggle to make sure the plug is properly seated. While doing that push and wiggle does the problem go away? Does it come back when you release the cable? If so you may need to support the weight of the cable near that plug. Check all four HDMI plugs this way.

6) Do you have ANYTHING ELSE in the HDMI cable path? Daisy-chained cables, adapters, wall-plates, HDMI switches -- ANYTHING? If so, try bypassing that thing so that there is just a single run of HDMI cable from the OPPO to the AVR and to the Display. Wall-plates (used to tidy up where you attach to cabling installed inside the wall) are particularly suspect.

7) HDMI cabling comes in two flavors: One that works for 1080p/60 and one that doesn't. Unless you are sure your cabling is of the first type, now's the time to replace it. Buy cabling that is marked "For 1080p", or "High Speed", or "Category 2" -- all of which mean the same thing. The cable that OPPO provides with the player is a good cable.

8) Since you are using a projector, you likely have a long cable run to the projector. The next step involves physically moving the OPPO close enough to the projector that you can attach it with the normal length cable provided by OPPO. Next, and admittedly this is a chore, you need to move the AVR over there as well so that you can connect the OPPO to it as well using a normal length (6 foot) HDMI cable known to be High Speed. Does THAT make the problem go away? If so then the problem could very well be you need to replace the long cable run to your projector.

--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

post #4522 of 6067 Old 06-27-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
^ Is audio ahead of video or behind video?
--Bob
Hi, the audio seems to be ahead of the video.
post #4523 of 6067 Old 06-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGeek View Post
Hi, the audio seems to be ahead of the video.
OK this means that the video processing going on in your Display is taking enough time that you see the delay as audio ahead of video.

First, you may be able to cure this by disabling video "enhancement" processing in your Display. Such settings are typically remembered per-input, so be sure to check while viewing the HDMI 1 video from the OPPO.

(In general, it is good to leave such video "enhancement" processing disabled. It is designed to make poor content look less crappy, and just gets in the way when viewing high quality content.)

Some displays use excessively long time to handle 1080p/24 video. Check if THIS is the problem by setting Setup > Video Setup > 1080p/24 Output to OFF.

if you can't find a quick cure this way, then you can adjust for the problem by telling the OPPO to apply the right amount of additional audio delay to compensate. This is in Setup > Audio Processing > A/V Sync. Positive values add audio delay.

Test this using content of known sync quality. I.e., a calibration disc. Real movie content often has INHERENT sync errors in the content. Any sync error which varies scene to scene is definitely in the content.

Good sync test charts are found on Spears & Munsil v2, Blu-ray, available from OPPO and on Disney's "WOW, World of Wonder", Blu-ray, available from Amazon.
--Bob
lanping09 likes this.

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-27-2014 at 09:27 AM.
post #4524 of 6067 Old 06-27-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
OK this means that the video processing going on in your Display is taking enough time that you see the delay as audio ahead of video.

First, you may be able to cure this by disabling video "enhancement" processing in your Display. Such settings are typically remembered per-input, so be sure to check while viewing the HDMI 1 video from the OPPO.

Some displays use excessively long time to handle 1080p/24 video. Check if THIS is the problem by setting Setup > Video Setup > 1080p/24 Output to OFF.

if you can't find a quick cure this way, then you can adjust for the problem by telling the OPPO to apply the right amount of additional audio delay to compensate. This is in Setup > Audio Processing > A/V Sync. Positive values add audio delay.

Test this using content of known sync quality. I.e., a calibration disc. Real movie content often has INHERENT sync errors in the content. Any sync error which varies scene to scene is definitely in the content.

Good sync test charts are found on Spears & Munsil v2, Blu-ray, available from OPPO and on Disney's "WOW, World of Wonder", Blu-ray, available from Amazon.
--Bob
Thanks, Bob!

I went back to running all signals (audio and video) thru the AVR and then to the projector. Never have audio problems with that setup---always in sync (probably due to the HDMI lip sync feature of the AVR). The problem with that setup is video sometimes gets flaky. I have the Oppo set to resolution 4K.

If I use the split AV hook-up, then the video is always good at 4K resolution, but I get the audio sync issue. Not sure why a direct connection to the projector would cause a delay when the 4K signal supposedly just passes thru the AVR to the projector with the combined AV hook-up. Weird.
post #4525 of 6067 Old 06-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGeek View Post
Thanks, Bob!

I went back to running all signals (audio and video) thru the AVR and then to the projector. Never have audio problems with that setup---always in sync (probably due to the HDMI lip sync feature of the AVR). The problem with that setup is video sometimes gets flaky. I have the Oppo set to resolution 4K.

If I use the split AV hook-up, then the video is always good at 4K resolution, but I get the audio sync issue. Not sure why a direct connection to the projector would cause a delay when the 4K signal supposedly just passes thru the AVR to the projector with the combined AV hook-up. Weird.
When you go THROUGH the AVR, it may be picking up info from the Display regarding how much audio delay to apply to compensate for the video processing time in the Display. When you bypass the AVR for video, you can do the same thing manually using the A/V Sync adjustment in the OPPO.

Again, this is for the case of audio AHEAD of video -- i.e., too LITTLE audio delay.
--Bob

post #4526 of 6067 Old 06-27-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
When you go THROUGH the AVR, it may be picking up info from the Display regarding how much audio delay to apply to compensate for the video processing time in the Display. When you bypass the AVR for video, you can do the same thing manually using the A/V Sync adjustment in the OPPO.

Again, this is for the case of audio AHEAD of video -- i.e., too LITTLE audio delay.
--Bob
Thanks, Bob.

I wish there was a way to get/see that delay setting from the AVR, so I would know what to use in the Oppo Audio Processing area. I guess it will be trial and error.
post #4527 of 6067 Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ It's not hard. If you use a calibration disc such as one of the two I cited above, you can read the required amount of added audio delay right off the chart.

I suggest you also undershoot and then overshoot a bit and compare the chart results. That will give you confidence you are reading the chart properly.
--Bob

post #4528 of 6067 Old 06-27-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^ First, some lack of smoothness in the Darbee Swipe Screen Demo line is "normal" so you can stop worrying about that one. Keep in mind you should turn the Demo Mode off for normal viewing.

thank you, yes it's off when watching

Now, image problems which happen at 1080p/60 but not at 1080p/24 almost always come down to HDMI cabling problems. 1080p/60 puts considerably more signal bandwidth on the HDMI cable.

So start by checking your cabling:

1) If you ALSO have an HDMI cable running from the back of your AVR to your Display -- even though that is not in use at the moment -- try physically disconnecting that. Does the problem go away? If so there's a different diagnostic path here, so check this first.

nothing video is coming out of my avr

If you have anything attached to the HDMI *INPUTS* of the OPPO disconnect those as well and check to see if the problem still exists. Again, check this first, because a problem here means something different is going on.

nothing in the inputs

2) In the OPPO, check Setup > Video Setup > HDMI Options and confirm that you have Deep Color set to OFF for BOTH the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs.

this is done

Also set the Color Space for both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 to YCbCr 4:4:4 instead of AUTO.

I will try this it's still auto

In Setup > Video Setup check that you have Dual Display mode set to SPLIT A/V.

done

In Setup > Video Setup confirm you have Resolution set to 1080p -- not AUTO and not SOURCE DIRECT.

this is the setting that made the noise disappear and how I'm now running it

In Setup > Audio Format confirm you have HDMI Audio set to LPCM -- not AUTO.

done

In Setup > Device Setup confirm you have HDMI CEC set to OFF.

done

The purpose of the above is to "simplify" the HDMI handshake. Now check again and see if the problem still exists on the OPPO Home Menu screen. If not, then we can explore which settings you just changed above make the problem come back.

the 1080p fixes it so probably a handshake issue. The avr has hdmi 1.1 I believe

3) If the problem DOES still exist then, without changing anything else, use the Resolution button on the remote (lower left) and select a lower output Resolution. Try 1080i, 720p, and 480p. (480p -- not 480i -- is the "simplest" resolution for HDMI to handle.) If the problem exists at 1080p but not at any of the lower resolutions, then there is an HDMI bandwidth problem -- i.e., marginal HDMI cabling or a faulty HDMI connection.

4) Next take a careful look at HOW you are connected. Double check that you haven't confused the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 outputs on the back of the OPPO. HDMI is just a friction fit, and even a small shift of plug in socket can screw things up, so check that each HDMI plug is fully inserted STRAIGHT into its socket with nothing (e.g., cable weight or kinks in the cable) tugging the plug in any direction. Check both ends of BOTH HDMI cables -- the one to the Display and the one to the AVR.

yep, all correct

5) Try the "wiggle test". Set up so that the problem is showing on your Display. Grab an HDMI cable about an inch back from its plug. Now gently push the plug straight into the socket while giving the cable a little wiggle to make sure the plug is properly seated. While doing that push and wiggle does the problem go away? Does it come back when you release the cable? If so you may need to support the weight of the cable near that plug. Check all four HDMI plugs this way.

yep, did this too

6) Do you have ANYTHING ELSE in the HDMI cable path? Daisy-chained cables, adapters, wall-plates, HDMI switches -- ANYTHING? If so, try bypassing that thing so that there is just a single run of HDMI cable from the OPPO to the AVR and to the Display. Wall-plates (used to tidy up where you attach to cabling installed inside the wall) are particularly suspect.

nope

7) HDMI cabling comes in two flavors: One that works for 1080p/60 and one that doesn't. Unless you are sure your cabling is of the first type, now's the time to replace it. Buy cabling that is marked "For 1080p", or "High Speed", or "Category 2" -- all of which mean the same thing. The cable that OPPO provides with the player is a good cable.

8) Since you are using a projector, you likely have a long cable run to the projector. The next step involves physically moving the OPPO close enough to the projector that you can attach it with the normal length cable provided by OPPO. Next, and admittedly this is a chore, you need to move the AVR over there as well so that you can connect the OPPO to it as well using a normal length (6 foot) HDMI cable known to be High Speed. Does THAT make the problem go away? If so then the problem could very well be you need to replace the long cable run to your projector.

the rest above is not it. I used the oppo direct to my Sony tv and problem was still there. This is why I started looking elsewhere. Then noticed it only happens with 1080p60 and only if you connect hdmi 2 to the avr. I connected hdmi 1 and 2 to my tv and it went away. I think the old hdmi in the avr is giving handshake issues.

--Bob

Answers in red above. Thank you
post #4529 of 6067 Old 06-28-2014, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Minor update regarding network functionality on my part.

I have so far been using wifi on my oppo, always saying I would cable it one of these days.
Well after a (for us) severe thunderstorm. In Norway that means a couple of hours of rolling thunder claps, with light warm showers.

Anyhoo I finally take five minutes to run the cable to my switch and everything seem to run much smoother and for curiosity I check the network features and suddenly logging in to my shares works perfectly :-)
post #4530 of 6067 Old 06-28-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Yes , all 4 ports are taken on my router !!

The wireless cards they put in non computer stuff isn`t that great , IMO !!

Later ,

G. 
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page