AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Hi-
I've read a lot of posts in this thread and but have spotted anyone talking about if it is a good idea to use the 103d as a video processor?
I know it can be done, but I'd like to hear from those of you who have tried it. I have used a DVDO Edge almost since they first came out and really like having a video processor. Is the Oppo good enough as a VP that I no longer need the Edge?

I'm thinking I can get a good HDMI switcher and plug its output into the 103d's HDMI input. I assume that one downside to this will be along the lines that my cable TV box will require different settings than my Roku, but other than that is this workable? I've got 5 devices that I'd like the splitter to be sending to the Oppo.

Is there any problem always running the Oppo whenever we have the projector on (approximately 2000 hours a year)?

I'll be using one of the 103d's HDMI outputs to go to my projector and the other to send the audio to my old Denon receiver.

Thanks for any input.
You should be able to test the player against the Edge very easily.
Just set the Oppo to output 1080p as well as the Edge and it should go through unprocessed.
Then set the Oppo to Source Direct which will allow the Edge to do the processing and see if you see a difference.
Quite honestly, I think it will look the same 99% of the time, whether the Oppo is scaling or the Edge is scaling.
Every once in a long while you may see something the Oppo handles better or something the Edge handles better.

I used to use an Edge and then stopped using it a couple years ago when the current Oppo players seemed to do just as good as the Edge did.
It's like one less thing to have to worry about handshakes and more cables, etc... to deal with, and simplifying the system.
It all depends on your needs though.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4593 of 5031 Old 07-04-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The 103D has a DVDO scaler so it would be the same or better than the age.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #4594 of 5031 Old 07-04-2014, 01:26 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Just set the Oppo to output 1080p as well as the Edge and it should go through unprocessed.
Then set the Oppo to Source Direct which will allow the Edge to do the processing and see if you see a difference.
Quite honestly, I think it will look the same 99% of the time, whether the Oppo is scaling or the Edge is scaling.
Every once in a long while you may see something the Oppo handles better or something the Edge handles better.

I used to use an Edge and then stopped using it a couple years ago when the current Oppo players seemed to do just as good as the Edge did.
It's like one less thing to have to worry about handshakes and more cables, etc... to deal with, and simplifying the system.

I used an edge until around 5 months ago when I got the 103D and Samsung F9000. I felt the Oppo did just as good as the Edge. Removed the Edge and used Darbee and Oppo upconversion to 4K (felt it was marginally better than the Samsung). Added Samsung's 2014 UHD Kit (new one connect box with new upconversion algorithm and double the processing power) last week. Now I use the Samsung, with native output on the OPPO, which I feel is definitely the best.

Last edited by rlb; 07-04-2014 at 01:38 PM.
post #4595 of 5031 Old 07-04-2014, 04:46 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
The 103D has a DVDO scaler so it would be the same or better than the age.
Huh? The 103D uses the MediaTek SOC for all deinterlacing and scaling other than to 4K, which is handled by the VRS processor. The "standard" 103 uses the QDEO for 4K scaling but is otherwise the same for deinterlacing and scaling.
post #4596 of 5031 Old 07-04-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
sorry but this latest firmware has a different issue everytime I try to reflash the firmware to correct the last problem. No audio on netflix. Weird corrupt white picture lines flash when you select anything and now the hdmi input picture and sound just keep switching on and off when you select it. To name a few bugs. It's due a new firmware.

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Denon Avr - Kef Q2,5,6 speakers and Rel 150 sub
post #4597 of 5031 Old 07-04-2014, 05:35 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyOmega View Post
sorry but this latest firmware has a different issue everytime I try to reflash the firmware to correct the last problem. No audio on netflix. Weird corrupt white picture lines flash when you select anything and now the hdmi input picture and sound just keep switching on and off when you select it. To name a few bugs. It's due a new firmware.
Did you have a question? Are you asking for help?

The firmware seems to be working for the rest of us so there can't be much wrong with it.

-Bill
WhiskeyOmega likes this.
post #4598 of 5031 Old 07-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyOmega View Post
It is pretty unlikely it is due to the latest firmware or this thread would be full of people howling for blood.

Everything you describe could be as simple as a loose HDMI cable. Re-installing the firmware wouldn't fix that of course.

At this point you should go back to basics and check your cabling and settings.
--Bob
mhobart and WhiskeyOmega like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4599 of 5031 Old 07-04-2014, 06:28 PM

I just find it strange that different things happened after each flash. I checked the cables they're fine. Hope it's not the infamous onkyo hdmi issues hitting the new 2014 models.

post #4600 of 5031 Old 07-05-2014, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was feeding the HDMI inputs on my 103D with a 480P 60hz signal the other day, and the image shifted to the side, like there is a timing problem, anyone else experienced this.?

I was testing how it would scale a laserdisc image coming out of my Crystalio 2 who do the comb filtering and deinterlacing.

I also feedet it a 480P signal from my Radiance, to see it was not a problem related only to the Crystalio/ 103D, and it acted the same.

post #4601 of 5031 Old 07-05-2014, 08:17 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

I been playing with scaling on the 103D, and it seems to have very very good deinterlacing and scaling, i had the Edge, but sold it many years ago, but i still have the DVDO VP30 and 50, sold the VP50Pro. I have a Crystalio 2, Calibre Vantage, and Lumagen Radiance.

I always prefered DVD scaling running 480/ 576P HDMI out of my Denon DVD A1 XVA to the Radiance for scaling.

After looking a few DVD movies on the OPPO 103D im not so sure anymore, ill need to do a serious test, but i feel like its sharper, has less noise/ artifacts, and better croma resolution/ bitdept.

Thats also the reason i was playing with it as a scaler using the HDMI imputs.

I can say that its much better than any DVDO scaling and deinterlacing, as i always found that medium. to much noise, and ringing.

For sure i think that anyone who dont test as much as i do with the nose pressed all against the screen looking for problems, its a amassing Blu ray, and dvd player, makes life much much simpler.

post #4602 of 5031 Old 07-05-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Huh? The 103D uses the MediaTek SOC for all deinterlacing and scaling other than to 4K, which is handled by the VRS processor. The "standard" 103 uses the QDEO for 4K scaling but is otherwise the same for deinterlacing and scaling.

Yes but the deinterlacing powers of VRS's chipsets were incorporated into the new MediaTek SOC .

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #4603 of 5031 Old 07-05-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks to all who've helped me with my Edge vs. 103D question. I wasn't exactly clear with the reason why I was interested. I'm getting and putting a LCD TV in another room so that those who want to play games and those who want to watch a movie aren't battling over the projector. The Edge will be going with the new TV mainly because it scales old games very well. So I was thinking that I could get the 103D + a HDMI switch and use them in place of the Edge. I had assumed that HDMI switches must work fairly well by now, but (thanks to the warning from rdgrimes) I do see that a lot of people are still having problems with HDMI switches. Perhaps I should just get another Edge.
post #4604 of 5031 Old 07-05-2014, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stridsvognen View Post

I can say that its much better than any DVDO scaling and deinterlacing, as i always found that medium. to much noise, and ringing.
Not necessarily true. The 103/103D still fail some of the more brutal de-interlacing tests. Whether that's something you can see in the average DVD content is another question. But there's never been and likely never will be anything better than the ABT for de-interlacing difficult content. "Noise and ringing" don't relate to de-interlacing, but both are known to exist with the ABT's scaling. The over-all result with the 103/103D might well be a more pleasing image, but the ABT might actually reveal more detail.
post #4605 of 5031 Old 07-05-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Not necessarily true. The 103/103D still fail some of the more brutal de-interlacing tests. Whether that's something you can see in the average DVD content is another question. But there's never been and likely never will be anything better than the ABT for de-interlacing difficult content. "Noise and ringing" don't relate to de-interlacing, but both are known to exist with the ABT's scaling. The over-all result with the 103/103D might well be a more pleasing image, but the ABT might actually reveal more detail.
I did a lot of testing combining different players and different video processors, and i always had ringing if using ABT deinterlacing before any scaling.

I prefer the HQV deinterlacing, i know it might not keep up in all tests, but for movie content it is just what i found to have less artifacts/ combing and breaking up.

Try run 480/ 576P out of a OPPO 83, or any DVDO video processor, feed a Lumagen Radiance, and after that try out other deinterlacers, i found Lumagen deinterlacing the worse, DVDO medium, and HQV the best of what i have on hand.

Now looking the 103D i did see the most smooth deinterlacing and scaling i ever seen, i only tested PAL DVD so far, and cant say its like that with all movies, time will show.

I just never seen anything like that where i was not able to detect any combing or ringing at all. The detail level was amasing, just as the color resolution looked like it just been bumped up.

I suspect this has something to do with processor power, i always got the impression that many processors was fighting to get the work done in time, and tripping from time to time.

It just looks as the OPPO has huge processing headroom making it look sooo easy.

post #4606 of 5031 Old 07-06-2014, 11:41 AM

Does the darbee processing run when using netflix as you can't open the menu?

post #4607 of 5031 Old 07-06-2014, 01:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Yes. You can prove that to yourself by setting a ridiculously high Darbee percentage and also enabling one of the two Darbee "demo" modes. Then launch Netflix and you'll see Darbee doing its thing.
--Bob
WhiskeyOmega likes this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4608 of 5031 Old 07-07-2014, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckoNZ View Post
I haven't had my 103D all that long so am still trying things out. I'm mainly using it to play blu-ray discs and video files from my DLNA NAS box.

However, I just went to play an MP3 file from the NAS and it doesn't work. When I select the file, nothing happens.

Anyone else experienced this?
Hi All,

I posted this issue some weeks back and thought I'd let you know how I got on.

The Australian distributor for OPPO advised that the latest firmware (515?) should resolve my issue, but it didn't. They then suggested that there must be something wrong with my DLNA NAS box - which is odd as both my Pioneer receiver and PS3 worked with my Promise SmartStor just fine. As my Promise SmartStor was getting a little "long in the tooth", I decided to purchase a new NAS device - a Synology DS214Play - it's a great little unit:
http://www.synology.com/en-global/pr...view/DS214play

Anyway, now I can play MP3's just fine, on my OPPO, off the Synology NAS. So, looks like it was my NAS after all.

Cheers,
BuckoNZ
post #4609 of 5031 Old 07-09-2014, 12:42 AM
JSL

OPPO Video quality vs plain Blu-ray players

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
Originally Posted by JSL
"Hello, I'm not really sure if it's OK to ask here, but I’ve read lots of great things about OPPO, so I ordered the OPPO BDP-103D Blu-ray Disc Player. However I can see no video quality difference between the OPPO BDP-103D and my old Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Blu-Ray player. Very disappointed, I was expecting the OPPO player to have much better video than my old Panasonic DMP-BDT110 Blu-Ray player. What am I doing wrong?

Posted by Bill
Your expectations were incorrect. If you had asked here or in the "Help Me Choose" thread we would have told you that Blu-ray performance is very similar between players."

Are you calibrating your display? That will make a greater difference than swapping gear. What is your viewing distance?

Darbee processing adds extra value, but it is a subtle effect when used properly.

The player has a 30-day return if you are unhappy with it.

-Bill
Hi Bill, I hope you had a great 4th of July weekend. Thank you so much for your response.

I started looking through the 561 pages of in the "Help Me Choose" thread. I didn't have time to read all 561 pages so I hope it is OK to ask here. Should I expect DVD up-conversion to also be similar between players? Or is OPPO a lot better than Panasonic blu-ray players for DVD up-conversion?

You were right about the calibration, I calibrated my projector and the picture got a whole lot better, however I still have a hard time seeing any difference between OPPO and Panasonic watching Blu-ray Discs. My viewing distance is 12 feet, the screen is 110".
post #4610 of 5031 Old 07-09-2014, 12:53 AM
JSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The most important thing to do before trying to judge video quality is to see to it that you projector is properly calibrated for video. Spend some quality time with a calibration disc, or bring in a professional (an ISF Tech) to do it for you. If the projector is not set up properly, its errors in rendering the video will mask most differences in source quality. As for the OPPO itself, leave all its Picture Adjustment controls at the factory default (0) values -- the OPPO sends out "reference" HDMI video levels when set that way. Make any necessary video adjustments in your Projector instead of in the OPPO. Keep in mind that settings in the Projector are likely remembered "per input", so be sure to check that you've got things set correctly for the video input from the OPPO. Also keep in mind that the best settings in the projector for your other player may very well NOT be the best settings to use with the OPPO.

Modern Displays are very sensitive to being set up correctly. I.e., the difference between "right" and "nearly right" is a lot bigger than it used to be with traditional TVs.

In the Blu-ray Software forum here you'll find discussion threads listing Blu-ray disc titles that are rated highly for video quality and for audio quality.
--Bob
Hi Bob, Thanks for your feedback. Bill also suggested I calibrate my projector in a previous post, which I did and got a huge improvement. I have not made any adjustments to the OPPO player itself, only the projector. However I still have a hard time seeing any difference between OPPO and Panasonic watching Blu-ray Discs. My viewing distance is 12 feet, the screen is 110". I am letting the Denon AVR X3000 do the switching so both players end up on the same projector input (HDMI 1). Maybe I need to get the Sony projector professionally calibrated to see a difference?
post #4611 of 5031 Old 07-09-2014, 04:25 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL View Post
Should I expect DVD up-conversion to also be similar between players? Or is OPPO a lot better than Panasonic blu-ray players for DVD up-conversion?
Panasonic has a pretty good reputation for DVD performance, but I don't know of any comparative test reports. This was common back in the DVD player days but seems not to be done anymore.

OPPO is an enthusiasts brand and the company puts strenuous efforts into getting both the large and small features correct. Whether this will be visible to the user in all cases: hard to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSL View Post
You were right about the calibration, I calibrated my projector and the picture got a whole lot better, however I still have a hard time seeing any difference between OPPO and Panasonic watching Blu-ray Discs. My viewing distance is 12 feet, the screen is 110".
As we've said, Blu-ray performance is more similar between players. Ironically, DVD requires extra effort to get a good image. Blu-ray as it is on the disc is almost ready to display with little extra processing.

Front projector users are often very pleased with the Darbee effect. Have you experimented with that?

-Bill
post #4612 of 5031 Old 07-09-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have the Sony 70R550A, and am looking to get the Oppo BDP-103D player. Considering what's already built into the Sony as well as the Oppo, what would be the benefit of getting the optional Roku stick for the Oppo?

(I posted this in the relevant Sony TV topic and didn't get an answer, thought maybe I'd have better luck in this thread...)
post #4613 of 5031 Old 07-09-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherScott View Post
I have the Sony 70R550A, and am looking to get the Oppo BDP-103D player. Considering what's already built into the Sony as well as the Oppo, what would be the benefit of getting the optional Roku stick for the Oppo?

(I posted this in the relevant Sony TV topic and didn't get an answer, thought maybe I'd have better luck in this thread...)
My only reason for getting the stick was for the Roku version of the Amazon streaming app. If your TV has the latest and greatest Amazon app, I wouldn't get the stick. But you can always decide later.
post #4614 of 5031 Old 07-09-2014, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherScott View Post

I don't know about the Roku Stick but I have the Roku 1, 2 and 3. The reason I keep getting Rokus is the speed and ease of use.
post #4615 of 5031 Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 33
everyone keeps talking about the video quality and processing of this unit. Is this unit also stellar for SACD/DVD-audio and other music?
post #4616 of 5031 Old 07-11-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
everyone keeps talking about the video quality and processing of this unit. Is this unit also stellar for SACD/DVD-audio and other music?
Yes. I have a BDP-83 also (my previous living room system, now in the bedroom), I've got a small but heavily used collection of SACD's, DVD-A discs.

Excellent sound, I've tried it with HDMI bitstream, LPCM, analog outs, etc. and it is excellent. Also received many good reviews on sound processing.

I'm much more active on lossless formats now (FLAC, etc.) and it handles those with aplomb. Both via DLNA (my server doesn't transcode) and SMB.
billmich and mhobart like this.
post #4617 of 5031 Old 07-11-2014, 05:20 PM

OPPO reply, regarding the croma issue on HDMI 1 running 1080P out.

We can confirm the reported screenshot with our own system, it only happens with YCbCr422 color space via HDMI 1 on BDP-103D and 105D, no problem with other Color Spaces as well as HDMI 2 Output.

The root cause is from the ESHD block (Edge Smoothing in High Definition) inside the Silicon Image 9616 video processor: it has a “forced” chroma up-sampling with low pass filter (LPF), which causes the loss of Chroma amplitude. There is no way to disable this LPF unless the block is bypassed (e.g., set the BDP-103D/105D in “Source Direct” mode).

post #4618 of 5031 Old 07-11-2014, 05:46 PM
Read the FAQ!

^ Unfortunate, but an easy workaround of course. Use either RGB Video Level or YCbCr 4:4:4 output on HDMI 1 of the 103D or 105D when you are not using Source Direct.
--Bob

post #4619 of 5031 Old 07-12-2014, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello Everyone,
I'm enjoying my new 103D, especially the Darbee function. I have my Cable TV running through
it and it really makes an enjoyable difference in PQ.
I have one question; I know I have to have my OPPO turned on while watching Cable TV (which
I tend to watch 10 times more than I watch movies). After turning on the OPPO, I have to push the input button, scroll down and select HDMI IN-BACK to watch cable. It is not a huge deal but is there a way for the 103D to "save" this setting so every time I turn it on it defaults to HDMI IN-BACK?
I've looked in the manual and if it has instructions on how do accomplish this, I have overlooked it.

Thanks,
Brian

"I'm Your Huckleberry..."
post #4620 of 5031 Old 07-12-2014, 01:53 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock3540 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm enjoying my new 103D, especially the Darbee function. I have my Cable TV running through
it and it really makes an enjoyable difference in PQ.
I have one question; I know I have to have my OPPO turned on while watching Cable TV (which
I tend to watch 10 times more than I watch movies). After turning on the OPPO, I have to push the input button, scroll down and select HDMI IN-BACK to watch cable. It is not a huge deal but is there a way for the 103D to "save" this setting so every time I turn it on it defaults to HDMI IN-BACK?
I've looked in the manual and if it has instructions on how do accomplish this, I have overlooked it.

Thanks,
Brian
Setup -> Playback Setup -> Power On Input = Last Input

-Bill
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page