Advertisement

post #4622 of 4687 Old 07-12-2014, 04:08 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 147
^ And note that the "Power On Input" setting was not in the initial firmware version, so if it isn't available, update the firmware.
post #4623 of 4687 Old 07-12-2014, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ And note that the "Power On Input" setting was not in the initial firmware version, so if it isn't available, update the firmware.
It Was There. Thanks gsr!

"I'm Your Huckleberry..."
post #4624 of 4687 Old 07-13-2014, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have an Oppo 103D on its way.

I have a JVC RS4910 (4k eshift3), Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver(turn off 4k qdeo upscaler).
This is my plan...

NR609 (Directv, appletv ->HDMI in), (HDMI 1 out -> Oppo 103D HDMI in).
Oppo 103D (HDMI 1 out-> JVC RS4910 HDMI in).

1) will I need to send the Oppo HDMI 2 out back to the NR609 to capture the audio signal? Or do i need to use a different connection for audio?

2) does this look correct?

Thanks for your help.
post #4625 of 4687 Old 07-13-2014, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Unfortunate, but an easy workaround of course. Use either RGB Video Level or YCbCr 4:4:4 output on HDMI 1 of the 103D or 105D when you are not using Source Direct.
--Bob

Sure, its not the worse that can happen. Im using HDMI 2 out, to be able to run 4:2:2, so i dont get the ringing i have using the 4:4:4.

Im waiting for OPPO to reply about the 480P input problem and the croma ringing running 4:4:4 out.

post #4626 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just talked to James over at oppo UK. The problem I have is I want to be able to use hdmi cec however since I split the audio and video through 2 hdmis I find it switching the amp from BD to TV since hdmi is set to 1 for power control. What I would like is hdmi cec power control in hdmi 1 and playback control through hdmi 2 so when I hit play it switches the amp to BD like it should.

LG 55LA970W - Oppo 103D - Denon Avr - Kef Q2,5,6 speakers and Rel 150 sub
post #4627 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyOmega View Post
Just talked to James over at oppo UK. The problem I have is I want to be able to use hdmi cec however since I split the audio and video through 2 hdmis I find it switching the amp from BD to TV since hdmi is set to 1 for power control. What I would like is hdmi cec power control in hdmi 1 and playback control through hdmi 2 so when I hit play it switches the amp to BD like it should.
CEC is fraught with problems, and its rare to see desired results when using components from different makers. Most of the major hardware makers use proprietary CEC that's designed to work with components from the same maker.

You're far better off with a programmable universal remote setup, and disable all CEC functions in all components.
WhiskeyOmega likes this.
post #4628 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
CEC is fraught with problems, and its rare to see desired results when using components from different makers. Most of the major hardware makers use proprietary CEC that's designed to work with components from the same maker.

You're far better off with a programmable universal remote setup, and disable all CEC functions in all components.
Cec is working correctly. Because its set to hdmi 1 it's switching the amp because the tv is telling the receiver that it has a cec signal and that it should use Arc. I don't like universal remotes. I have all apps for the devices but still prefer single physical remotes.

post #4629 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 03:14 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Cec is working correctly
If it's working correctly, asking to change it would be requesting that a bug be introduced into the firmware.
post #4630 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
If it's working correctly, asking to change it would be requesting that a bug be introduced into the firmware.
No cause I'm asking for a new feature. To be honest I'm not sure how it would work as if it does switch to hdmi 2 cec when you press play it would switch the video as well. I just want cec with video from hdmi 1 and audio from hdmi 2. There must be a way. Shame my onkyo doesn't let me select a different hdmi audio to a hdmi video input like it does with optical.

post #4631 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 03:25 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
No cause I'm asking for a new feature. To be honest I'm not sure how it would work as if it does switch to hdmi 2 cec when you press play it would switch the video as well. I just want cec with video from hdmi 1 and audio from hdmi 2. There must be a way. Shame my onkyo doesn't let me select a different hdmi audio to a hdmi video input like it does with optical.
To adhere to the CEC spec, I don't believe Oppo can make changes like what you're requesting. As rdgrimes already implied, CEC was never very well thought out and tends to be poorly implemented especially when using a mix of brands. Relying on it to switch inputs and turn devices on and off for you is almost always an exercise in frustration. I know you said you don't like universal remotes, but you could easily accomplish what you're looking to do with one.
WhiskeyOmega likes this.
post #4632 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
To adhere to the CEC spec, I don't believe Oppo can make changes like what you're requesting. As rdgrimes already implied, CEC was never very well thought out and tends to be poorly implemented especially when using a mix of brands. Relying on it to switch inputs and turn devices on and off for you is almost always an exercise in frustration. I know you said you don't like universal remotes, but you could easily accomplish what you're looking to do with one.
Well I need cec on for arc. However I could just use a optical from the tv instead. Provided the tv doesn't use the full fat audios like dts hdma and truehd. With these universal remote apps you get. Is there one that can get a profile button to set the tv to the oppo and the amp to BD if I do switch off cec from the oppo side.

post #4633 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
... I don't like universal remotes. I have all apps for the devices but still prefer single physical remotes.
WhiskeyOmega, I respect that, but on the lighter side, my detailed calculations suggest a 79.536% probability you're currently a bachelor. Sidestepping CEC headaches is certainly one upside of a universal remote, but the biggest upside for me is WAF (here redesignated as Wife Avoid Fight), since my (most?) W has zero chance of operating our HTS without one.
WhiskeyOmega likes this.
post #4634 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 05:00 PM

Review of my prior calculations suggests a corrected probability of 87.236%. Never should have had that second glass of wine.
post #4635 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 05:10 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Well I need cec on for arc. However I could just use a optical from the tv instead. Provided the tv doesn't use the full fat audios like dts hdma and truehd.
ARC won't carry DTS HDMA or Dolby True HD anyway - it's limited to the same formats that can be delivered via SPDIF (optical or coax). All it does is save you a cable.

Quote:
With these universal remote apps you get. Is there one that can get a profile button to set the tv to the oppo and the amp to BD if I do switch off cec from the oppo side.
If you're talking about universal remote apps for an iOS or Android device, I'm not familiar with all the options and this really isn't the place to get into details about universal remotes (AVS has a forum that's dedicated to the topic or check out Remote Central for all sorts of discussion about universal remotes). But generally speaking, one of the key functions of a universal remote app is to provide you with the ability to define "activities" that launch a macro. So if you select "Watch Bluray", you can program it to turn on the appropriate devices, select the correct inputs, etc. by pressing just a single button on the remote. Universal remotes run the gamut of inexpensive devices that cost less than $20 to full blown whole house automation systems (such as Crestron) that can cost many thousands of dollars. The capabilities, flexibility, and complexity are usually commensurate with the cost.
lanping09 and WhiskeyOmega like this.
post #4636 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Ordered my 103D today from Oppo through Amazon! Can't wait to try the Darbee out, plus 3D for the first time on my JVC X500R.
post #4637 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
... If you're talking about universal remote apps for an iOS or Android device, I'm not familiar with all the options and this really isn't the place to get into details ...
That is absolutely true, but to keep us on thread and helping Whiskey Omega ... the BDP-103D responds adroitly to a variety of universal remotes. After the initial programming, most find them a huge time / headache saver. And as you point out WO, yes you can cable around as needed to preserve or enhance functionality even with a universal in the loop, and yes, most allow you to program a variety of one button sequences to power on multiple devices with specific input and output options across a range of devices ... including the thread-preserving 103D. Cheers!
post #4638 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 06:45 PM

Well the only reason I'm splitting the AV is because I'm told that it will give me the most detail on the full fat audio bit also told this only applies to reference class speakers. dunno if it applies to my bi-wired Kef Q5s. Surely 10Gbps is enough for Dts Hdma and 4k upscaling. Placebo effect or not?

post #4639 of 4687 Old 07-14-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Well the only reason I'm splitting the AV is because I'm told that it will give me the most detail on the full fat audio bit also told this only applies to reference class speakers. dunno if it applies to my bi-wired Kef Q5s. Surely 10Gbps is enough for Dts Hdma and 4k upscaling. Placebo effect or not?
What you've been told is suspect. HDMI signals always carry both video with audio added in the areas not used by the video signal. At the very least, the video carrier will be filled with black. I have no idea what the "full fat audio" might be.

I don't think the speakers have anything to do with it.
post #4640 of 4687 Old 07-15-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
What you've been told is suspect. HDMI signals always carry both video with audio added in the areas not used by the video signal. At the very least, the video carrier will be filled with black. I have no idea what the "full fat audio" might be.

I don't think the speakers have anything to do with it.
The hdmi 1 output when split does not carry any audio. However hdmi 2 carries both. I got told this by the tech support at oppo. Seems to sound like he knows what he's talking about.

post #4641 of 4687 Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Well the only reason I'm splitting the AV is because I'm told that it will give me the most detail ...
What model Onkyo do you have WO? Your speakers are fine. The best way to handle your AV chain will be the same whether they are reference or not.
WhiskeyOmega likes this.

Last edited by mogrub; 07-15-2014 at 05:56 AM.
post #4642 of 4687 Old 07-15-2014, 05:53 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
The hdmi 1 output when split does not carry any audio. However hdmi 2 carries both. I got told this by the tech support at oppo. Seems to sound like he knows what he's talking about.
It's not mandatory that an audio signal be present on HDMI. However, audio cannot be present without a video signal. The statement "it will give me the most detail on the full fat audio bit also told this only applies to reference class speakers" doesn't make any sense. Unless your TV does 3D and your AVR doesn't, there are very few cases where using both HDMI outputs is necessary. One other case where using both would make sense is if video processing in the AVR can't be disabled for the input the player is connected to. But try it both ways and draw your own conclusion.
WhiskeyOmega likes this.
post #4643 of 4687 Old 07-15-2014, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
What model Onkyo do you have WO? Your speakers are fine. The best way to handle your AV chain will be the same regardless.
I have the brand new onkyo nr636. I'll try it for its just one hdmi in the back of the avr

post #4644 of 4687 Old 07-15-2014, 05:59 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Both HTWAITS and the OPPO Tech Support rep are correct, but they were answering different questions.

Using Dual HDMI cabling (with Split A/V set) does not result in better audio going to the AVR than would happen if you just wired HDMI 1 to the AVR and then HDMI from the AVR to the Display. In particular, the Dual cabling, HDMI 2 feed to the AVR includes video as well as audio because that's just how HDMI works.

Although you can have a video-only HDMI feed, there is no such thing as an audio-only HDMI feed. HDMI audio is always embedded in a video signal even if that's just a black screen.
--Bob
htwaits, mogrub and WhiskeyOmega like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4645 of 4687 Old 07-15-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Well the only reason I'm splitting the AV is because I'm told that it will give me the most detail on the full fat audio bit ... have the brand new onkyo nr636.
I don't understand why anybody would tell you to mess with the dual headaches of ARC and CEC. Take all your inputs directly to the Onkyo, let it decode all the audio, and control all your speakers, without involving your display in that whatsoever.
psu85 and WhiskeyOmega like this.

Last edited by mogrub; 07-15-2014 at 06:11 AM.
post #4646 of 4687 Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post
Ordered my 103D today from Oppo through Amazon! Can't wait to try the Darbee out, plus 3D for the first time on my JVC X500R.
That will be a blast -- post your impressions, including what you choose for your first 3D spin.
post #4647 of 4687 Old 07-15-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Yes, that is true, but doesn't really relate to what you said in you previous comment.
WhiskeyOmega likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4648 of 4687 Old 07-15-2014, 08:55 AM

Just tried out iron man. Certainly sounds the same in 1 hdmi. So I'll keep it at that. thanks all.

post #4649 of 4687 Old 07-15-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:
Just tried out iron man. Certainly sounds the same in 1 hdmi. So I'll keep it at that. thanks all.
You're welcome.
post #4650 of 4687 Old 07-15-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I got my OPPO BDP-103D last Friday and played around with it this weekend.

It was my first exposure to Darbee. I remember reading in this forum that around 30% was a good setting for it, so that's where I started, using Hi-Def mode. In the demo mode, I really didn't see any difference. I was using a blu-ray version of the TV series LOST. So, then I started at 120%, just to make sure it was working, and worked my way down. So far, I'm liking it set at 68%. Over 70 is a bit too much and under 60 it's hard to detect it's working.

It's most noticeable on faces and skin texture. The more Darbee that's present, the more the faces have a greasy appearance. But I do like the extra detail that it provides. It's a more realistic representation of what was originally recorded.

On a side note, I also purchased and tried out the URC R-40 remote. So far, not impressed, but probably just need more time with it.

Equipment: 1) 65 inch Panasonic VT50 calibrated ISF. 2) Pioneer SC-67 receiver. 3) OPPO BDP-103D. 4) Axiom Audio speakers.

Last edited by CatBrat; 07-15-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page