Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 157 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4681 of 6062 Old 07-18-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The one I bought through Amazon was directly from Oppo. ("Marketplace" is probably the correct term since it wasn't in Amazon's inventory or shipped by them) I paid shipping and sales tax, just as if I had ordered it from Oppo direct. I was able to use my Amazon Store Card to get 12 month 0% interest buying through Amazon however. Buying direct from Oppo, that form of payment would not have been an option.
ljmart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 6062 Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigslim View Post
My wife has indulged my hobby for quite sometime. She never understood why something I just bought last year had to be upgraded this year. She didn't understand why I had to go from a 50" to a 55" in less than a year. She didn't understand why had to replace my Onkyo 807 with the 818. When I added the Emotiva XPA-5.... I got raised eyebrows. I thought each upgrade would be noticeable to her...I was wrong. When I asked if she could see or hear the difference... I would get ........"I GUESS." Then, I installed the 103d last night. She knew I had bought it. You don't spend that kind of money on a player without the the wife's approval.... least not in my house! I didn't mention Darbee. I didn't talk about better picture or sound quality the 103d provides...I just set it up, put in IRON MAN THREE, and hit play. That's when it started. My wife said," picture looks different." I just smiled Then, about 30 minutes into the movie she said," the sound is better." I smiled again......more broadly this time. FINALLY! The upgrade my wife appreciated without any prompting from me. After the movie, my wife said to me, and I quote," I'll never question why you need to replace something again." I CAN NOW DIE AND GO TO HEAVEN! Thanks OPPO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieandchips View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by bigslim 

my wife said to me, and I quote," I'll never question why you need to replace something again."

My wife would say to me "Now you've bought that I want to buy this!"

Can't say no....she's crafty....

i'm not sure which of these two posts i like better...i'll just leave it as they are the two BEST posts in this entire thread!

really just want to say 'thanks' to everyone for all the great info. my new toy arrives wednesday...so far all my questions have already been answered and hopefully no new ones will arise! upgrading so i can get the best audio (music) performance i can afford. the video side of this player is just a wonderful bonus!

Samsung PN51F8500 ~ Marantz SR5008 ~ Oppo BDP 103D ~ EMP Tek R55TiB LR, R56CiB, R55WiB ~ Sennheiser Momentum ~ Sennheiser 598

Last edited by ljmart; 07-22-2014 at 12:00 AM.
post #4683 of 6062 Old 07-22-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

wow...a day early! set up...wirelessly updated firmware...and on first bluray audio in less than 1 1/2 hours...Beck Sea Change sounds incredible! look forward to putting it thru all the paces...
post #4684 of 6062 Old 07-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Hard to beat a day early! Hope you get a few minutes sleep tonight.
post #4685 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
My wife has indulged my hobby for quite sometime. She never understood why something I just bought last year had to be upgraded this year. She didn't understand why I had to go from a 50" to a 55" in less than a year. She didn't understand why had to replace my Onkyo 807 with the 818. When I added the Emotiva XPA-5.... I got raised eyebrows. I thought each upgrade would be noticeable to her...I was wrong. When I asked if she could see or hear the difference... I would get ........"I GUESS." Then, I installed the 103d last night. She knew I had bought it. You don't spend that kind of money on a player without the the wife's approval.... least not in my house! I didn't mention Darbee. I didn't talk about better picture or sound quality the 103d provides...I just set it up, put in IRON MAN THREE, and hit play. That's when it started. My wife said," picture looks different." I just smiled Then, about 30 minutes into the movie she said," the sound is better." I smiled again......more broadly this time. FINALLY! The upgrade my wife appreciated without any prompting from me. After the movie, my wife said to me, and I quote," I'll never question why you need to replace something again." I CAN NOW DIE AND GO TO HEAVEN! Thanks OPPO!

This is probably the best write up ever.

It is a wonderful thing when the significant other actually notices a difference.

I had the exact opposite happen to me. I had a Krell Foundation in my system for about 4 months. I had to sell it due to financial reasons.

One night everyone wanted to watch a movie. I had an oppo 105 now hooked directly to my amps. I started the movie up and went upstairs. After the movie was over my son which is now 32 came up and asked what was wrong with the theater. I said what do you mean. He said the sound was like it had no impact. My wife then said it was like everything was blah. I brought up the fact that I sold the Foundation.

My wife and son both immediately said wow you have to get another one. My wife said as soon as possible we will be getting another.
Edllguy likes this.
post #4686 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

This is probably the best write up ever.

It is a wonderful thing when the significant other actually notices a difference. And it is rare.

I had the exact opposite happen to me. I had a Krell Foundation in my system for about 4 months. I had to sell it due to financial reasons.

One night everyone wanted to watch a movie. I had an oppo 105 now hooked directly to my amps. I started the movie up and went upstairs. After the movie was over my son which is now 32 came up and asked what was wrong with the theater. I said what do you mean. He said the sound was like it had no impact. My wife then said it was like everything was blah. I brought up the fact that I sold the Foundation.

My wife and son both immediately said wow you have to get another one. My wife said as soon as possible we will be getting another.
Edllguy likes this.
post #4687 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Today is my 30th day with the 103. I've read everything, everywhere until my eyes can't handle anymore in regard to the 103D. I love getting the most out of my system. I have a 65" Panny plasma that I bought in January of 2012. For those that have read post after post in this thread, including the great endorsement post by bigslim, is the consensus that those that have returned the 103 for the 103D are glad they did? I keep reading subtle. Subtle. Subtle. I'm not expecting a B/W to color difference, but I would like to be confident my extra $100 would be worth it. My viewing consists of BD, satellite, and OTA. I know I can return it and once again get the 103, but I'd prefer not to incur two shipping charges. Many thanks.

BTW, I do love the 103, and with streaming looking like the future, this may well be my last purchase.
post #4688 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 09:44 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Today is my 30th day with the 103. I've read everything, everywhere until my eyes can't handle anymore in regard to the 103D. I love getting the most out of my system. I have a 65" Panny plasma that I bought in January of 2012. For those that have read post after post in this thread, including the great endorsement post by bigslim, is the consensus that those that have returned the 103 for the 103D are glad they did? I keep reading subtle. Subtle. Subtle. I'm not expecting a B/W to color difference, but I would like to be confident my extra $100 would be worth it. My viewing consists of BD, satellite, and OTA. I know I can return it and once again get the 103, but I'd prefer not to incur two shipping charges. Many thanks.

BTW, I do love the 103, and with streaming looking like the future, this may well be my last purchase.
"Worth it" is difficult to quantify as each person is going to come to their own conclusion if the difference is worth $100 or not. Subtle seems like an accurate description of the difference.

If it matters to you, the 103D can send DSD to your AVR over HDMI1 & HDMI2, while the 103 can only send DSD to your AVR over HDMI2 (the 103 has to convert DSD to PCM to play DSD material on HDMI1). This only matters if your AVR can accept DSD.
post #4689 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

If this is any indication, then it would be well worth it. I understand that 35% is the sweet spot and this is set at 75% and isn't from an Oppo player, but it does show what Darbee does.

post #4690 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
If this is any indication, then it would be well worth it. I understand that 35% is the sweet spot and this is set at 75% and isn't from an Oppo player, but it does show what Darbee does.
Yes! Watching the many Darbee demos online gives you the best idea of what you can expect to see.
You will see more of a difference on high resolution sources like Blu-ray and 4k than you would with lower resolution sources.

I have experimented with it while watching things like sporting events from my cable box routed through the player, and the difference is very subtle there.
However if I put in a Blu-ray with top notch PQ, the Darbee is more than subtle to me, especially if you crank it up to higher levels.
A lot of people do like to use a "set it and forget it" type setting, and yes 35%/HiDef is a good place for that.

For me, I usually leave mine at around 50%, but sometimes can see some sharpness artifacting and then may have to dial back down to 35-40% for certain material.
I also like to sometimes turn it up higher when viewing the very best material, because when the best material is used,
the Darbee processing seems to look better and causes less artifacting from turning it up (too) high.
A perfect example of this, is just yesterday I watched Fantastic Mr Fox on Blu-ray and I turned the Darbee up to 70% and it looked magnificent.

I feel it is worth every cent of the $100 difference over the 103.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4691 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Today is my 30th day with the 103. I've read everything, everywhere until my eyes can't handle anymore in regard to the 103D.
I could be happy with any of the OPPO Blu-ray players. They have all been fine products. (For DVD I could still be happy with their old DVD players, although the 983H was extra-special. And the Faroudja chip players are not as appealing now as they were at the time).

Given that...if I didn't have either and had to choose...and did not desperately need the $100 for something else...

"D".

I hate making recommendations because we have all kinds of folks here, from "OMG! Night and day! LOL!" to "I turn it all the way up and I don't see anything happening. Is it broken and does OPPO hate me? How can they sell this..."

You won't know until you try it, but if you have done video image calibration and tweaking and A/B comparisons to try to squeeze out those last few percents of goodness, then I'm sure you will see it and almost certainly like it.

Subtle: well yes, when used properly. (To my eyes; large screen projector people are often more definite).

Turn it way up, then down down down until the effect seems to disappear. Live with that for a while, then do an A/B comparison by switching it on and off.

-Bill
mogrub likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #4692 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How much does one of these go for used? I bought back in March and used it like 10 times.

I have everything except the box and hdmi cable
post #4693 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 11:13 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting82465 View Post
How much does one of these go for used? I bought back in March and used it like 10 times.

OPPO recently had some refurbs for $110 off (weren't they $489?). Since those come with the standard 30 day return and 2-year warranty, same as new, you'd have to get in under that.

-Bill
Sting82465 likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #4694 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Turns out I was 2 days beyond the 30 period but Oppo made the deal. Got the refurbed 103D for $489. Whew, got what I wanted without spending more, which means I will live another day when the wife finds out.

I am not big on lots of bells and whistles or things that can make a mess of a picture, but the Darbee has me psyched.

Thanks for the input, guys.
post #4695 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Can anyone hear drive noise ever?
Mine sounds like a very feint blowing of air.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #4696 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
Can anyone hear drive noise ever?
Mine sounds like a very feint blowing of air.
My head makes more noise than a "faint blowing of air."
gsr likes this.
post #4697 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

More accurately, in a silent room can you hear the player's motor?

That makes me awesome.
post #4698 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
I've never been in a silent room. My OPPO is in another room with my computer and other noisy devices. In general I think that most OPPO owners, in what ever quite conditions they have, don't complain about optical drive noise. It hasn't been even close to an issue in the OPPO threads that I read. I don't read the 105/105D threads. Maybe you can find something there.
post #4699 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Can anyone hear drive noise ever? Mine sounds like a very faint blowing of air.
When I hear the faint blowing of air in my theater, non-auditory senses usually confirm an entirely different source.

But seriously, even though our 103D lives in an electronics closet, my overall impression is that it's easily the quietest player we have ever owned.

It is certainly quiet enough that in the real world of actually playing any kind of disc, its extremely quiet operation is never an issue, regardless of where the player is placed.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.

Last edited by mogrub; 07-23-2014 at 06:26 PM.
post #4700 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Well yeah not hearable unless there is no competing noise...

That makes me awesome.
post #4701 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting82465 View Post

Check Amazon used pricing for the player.
post #4702 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
... I hate making recommendations because we have all kinds of folks here ... but if you have done video image calibration and tweaking and A/B comparisons to try to squeeze out those last few percents of goodness, then I'm sure you will see it and almost certainly like it.

Subtle: well yes, when used properly. (To my eyes; large screen projector people are often more definite).

-Bill
+1 and well said. Any enthusiasts squeezing "the last few percents of goodness out of their image" are very likely to appreciate the Darbee effect. For those not already squeezing, they may neither notice nor care very much one way or the other.

The effect is subtle, but don't read that as trivial. We use a 110" projected image now, but for the decade before that, plasmas were our primary display option. The Darbee effect boosts the perceived clarity of our larger projected image in a way that is absolutely "must have" given our display use history and current viewing conditions.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #4703 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i could hear my Sony BDP S5100 in a silent room...i cannot hear the Oppo. just muted volume while disc spinning and it's silent.
post #4704 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 44
The recommended setting for blu-ray seems to be hi-def 35 but what about std def content?
I am watching a lot of Rockford Files TV episodes now and I am trying out Full pop 35.

Edit: Full pop 30 now.

Last edited by rickardl; 07-23-2014 at 04:22 PM.
post #4705 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Hard to beat a day early! Hope you get a few minutes sleep tonight.
lol...i was stunned when i realized it was 4AM!! decided it was time to call it a night...

all i can say is this sure is one fine player...prime time last night (8pm) i watched a 2 hour movie on Netflix wirelessly with no problems getting 1080 super HD 5.1. and my hi rez shiny discs sound brand new...almost like i got new speakers...just awesome!
post #4706 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 05:32 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
The recommended setting for blu-ray seems to be hi-def 35 but what about std def content?
I am watching a lot of Rockford Files TV episodes now and I am trying out Full pop 35.

Edit: Full pop 30 now.
Those are "Set and Forget" settings for people who like Darbee but don't want to be constantly tweaking it for different content quality. For HD content, Darbee Hi-def 35%. For SD content, Darbee Full Pop 30%.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4707 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Well yeah not hearable unless there is no competing noise...
What is the point of running a 103D in a silent room? Every time I use mine, there is "competing noise."
post #4708 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmart View Post
lol...i was stunned when i realized it was 4AM!! decided it was time to call it a night...
You actually called it a morning. Best decision under the circumstances.
ljmart likes this.

post #4709 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My 103 is right below the TV about 10 feet away. In a silent room, I can hear it very easily mainly at the beginning of a BD, sometimes with DVD. I can easily hear it certainly at the start of a BD even at my normal late night listening level and even quite above.

CD's are much quieter, pretty much never hear them unless it is a really unbalanced CD. Do not play SACD's much. They are overall quieter than BD.

I do not think you will get a much quieter player, and although I am sensitve to this noise, it usually is not that intrusive. The movie usually pulls me in and I do not notice. And the noise gets lower as the movie progresses, well, some layer changes kick the noise back up.

I do not use the analog outs and capped them with some Cardas caps which quieted it down a little. I was thinking of perhaps a sheet of Dynamat or equivalent on the top inside cover. It is a high pitched whine, not sure if the Dynamat would help that much.

Last edited by kellybob; 07-23-2014 at 06:56 PM.
post #4710 of 6062 Old 07-23-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 189
^ If your player is that loud then there's something wrong with it.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page