Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 158 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 156  157  158 159  160  ... Last
Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread
MatiPlaneteer 12:04 AM 07-24-2014
I just ordered my Oppo BDP-103D today. I scored one a refub for $489. I can't want to connect this to my HU9000.

PlayNice's Avatar PlayNice 09:45 AM 07-24-2014
Hey guys, I am currently on class for ISF calibration and a neighboring student refuses to believe the Oppo can output 4K at 50/60Hz via HDMI 1.4, am I correct that it does? I see it in my settings menus but do not have a 4K set to test.

Thanks
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 09:55 AM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
Hey guys, I am currently on class for ISF calibration and a neighboring student refuses to believe the Oppo can output 4K at 50/60Hz via HDMI 1.4, am I correct that it does? I see it in my settings menus but do not have a 4K set to test.

Thanks
UPDATED 05/19/2014 - Officiel 75-0515 Firmware Released

>>"7. Added support for the "4Kx2K@50/60Hz" resolution to the BDP-103D/105D (HDMI 1 only, and in YCbCr 4:2:0 format only). The "4Kx2K Output" setting for the BDP-103D/105D is set to "Auto 4K 50/60Hz 4:2:0" by default. Please note that once "4Kx2K@50/60Hz" is activated, the user choices of "Color Space (HDMI 1)" and "Deep Color (HDMI 1)" in "Setup Menu -> Video Setup -> HDMI Options" is not used."<<

(Yes I know that word is misspelled, but I can't be Neuromancer's proofreader. I just copy/paste.)
PlayNice's Avatar PlayNice 11:47 AM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
UPDATED 05/19/2014 - Officiel 75-0515 Firmware Released

>>"7. Added support for the "4Kx2K@50/60Hz" resolution to the BDP-103D/105D (HDMI 1 only, and in YCbCr 4:2:0 format only). The "4Kx2K Output" setting for the BDP-103D/105D is set to "Auto 4K 50/60Hz 4:2:0" by default. Please note that once "4Kx2K@50/60Hz" is activated, the user choices of "Color Space (HDMI 1)" and "Deep Color (HDMI 1)" in "Setup Menu -> Video Setup -> HDMI Options" is not used."<<

(Yes I know that word is misspelled, but I can't be Neuromancer's proofreader. I just copy/paste.)
Yea I showed him this yesterday, he is still a non believer. I was wondering if anybody has actually tested it.
gsr's Avatar gsr 11:51 AM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
Yea I showed him this yesterday, he is still a non believer. I was wondering if anybody has actually tested it.
Oppo certainly has.

You could always make a bet with your buddy - get a 4K TV (the bigger the better) and run a test with the BDP-103D. If it works, he pays for the set and you get to keep it. If it doesn't work, you pay for the set and he gets to keep it.
Fanboyz's Avatar Fanboyz 12:03 PM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ If your player is that loud then there's something wrong with it.

It's not loud, just I can hear it if I focus.
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 01:09 PM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
It's not loud, just I can hear it if I focus.
I was actually referring to Kellybob's post. He seems to hear a lot more noise than you do.
In your case, it seems to be normal ambient sound.
Any component with moving parts is going to make a sound.
However almost no one ever complains that the current Oppo players are noisy,
because 99.999% of the time, it can't be heard when listening to content at normal levels and normal seating distances from the player.
The closest seat in my theater room to my player is 2-3 feet.
I have watched a movie from beginning to end in that seat and never heard any noise from the player during playback of the movie,
not even during quiet passages.
Fanboyz's Avatar Fanboyz 01:12 PM 07-24-2014
The room has to be dead silent to hear anything.
At the most it sounds like almost nothing.
Fanboyz's Avatar Fanboyz 01:13 PM 07-24-2014
Like air circulating through a vent passively at best.

Nothing compared to the 93, or the 83.
Aliens's Avatar Aliens 01:23 PM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
The room has to be dead silent to hear anything.
At the most it sounds like almost nothing.
LOL

Which is why you have posted about it 6 times.
socal swagger's Avatar socal swagger 01:33 PM 07-24-2014
Is the oppo 103D gona be replaced anytime soon? Thinking of buying one but would to to drop buku bucks n it be replaced soon. So far from what I researche'd it's been out since 2012 right
Paul H's Avatar Paul H 02:01 PM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post
Is the oppo 103D gona be replaced anytime soon? Thinking of buying one but would to to drop buku bucks n it be replaced soon. So far from what I researche'd it's been out since 2012 right
Date 103D was first available at Amazon.com for pre-order: October 3, 2013

Email from Oppo:
Thank you for your interest in the BDP-103 Darbee Edition. You are receiving this e-mail because you registered to be notified of the BDP-103 Darbee Edition's availability. We are now accepting pre-orders for the BDP-103 Darbee Edition with an expected shipping week of October 7 through 11. For your convenience, you can use the following link to place your order:

wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 02:03 PM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal swagger View Post
Is the oppo 103D gona be replaced anytime soon? Thinking of buying one but would to to drop buku bucks n it be replaced soon. So far from what I researche'd it's been out since 2012 right
We've heard nothing about a new player.

Consensus opinion by those who are willing to guess is that OPPO might wait for the next market to stabilize first: 4K disc specs, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, etc. This is going to be a very bad period for early adopters and OPPO might want to delay until the ugliness is over.

But that's guessing.

In the interim they have audiophile headphones and headphone amps that are getting well reviewed, although perhaps not of much interest to the majority of customers.

-Bill
paligap's Avatar paligap 02:53 PM 07-24-2014
I was having trouble trying to watch a 3D movie for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The screen would go black for a moment and then the movie would pick up, but it would sometimes not be in 3D. I tried with several movies, and it kept happening.

Then I read o p. 54 of the manual about setting 3D to Blank HDMI 2 "Yes" to address getting no audio. I wondered if it would address my problem as well, and I was pleased to find out it did. I've watched a couple of 3D movies since with no problems.
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 03:32 PM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
I was having trouble trying to watch a 3D movie for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The screen would go black for a moment and then the movie would pick up, but it would sometimes not be in 3D. I tried with several movies, and it kept happening.

Then I read o p. 54 of the manual about setting 3D to Blank HDMI 2 "Yes" to address getting no audio. I wondered if it would address my problem as well, and I was pleased to find out it did. I've watched a couple of 3D movies since with no problems.
Holy cow, you read the manual?
Somebody show that person the door, we can't have that sort of thing in here!

If your AVR does in fact support 3D, you might have a dodgy HDMI connection there.
paligap's Avatar paligap 03:49 PM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Holy cow, you read the manual?
Somebody show that person the door, we can't have that sort of thing in here!

If your AVR does in fact support 3D, you might have a dodgy HDMI connection there.
I always read the manual, the instructions, etc., even if it's indecipherable, like the manual for my Denon 4310, which is not 3D capable.
ferrari fan's Avatar ferrari fan 08:05 PM 07-24-2014
After being on the fence on whether to buy a 103D to replace my still working great 83, I called Oppo, and to my surprise, they had quite a few refurbished 103D's in stock. As others have posted, $489.00 with full 2 year warranty + tax and shipping came to $543.79


Soooooo, if anybody is on the fence about getting a 103D, and especially a refurbished one, call Oppo asap since they are in stock.
rrollens's Avatar rrollens 10:17 PM 07-24-2014
What range of Darbee settings are folks using and have found best? Would appreciate some advise on where to start with the settings. Want maximum picture quality from my Panasonic 65ZT60 without artifacts. Much appreciated.
hotjt133's Avatar hotjt133 10:26 PM 07-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari fan View Post
I called Oppo, and to my surprise, they had quite a few refurbished 103D's in stock. As others have posted, $489.00 with full 2 year warranty + tax and shipping came to $543.79
I'm interested in this refurb, but why you have to call them? I'm in Australia so the time zone and calling cost is a problem, and then speaking over the phone for the address, credit card etc is also much more difficult and easy to get wrong. Is there anyway to order online?
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 05:03 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post
I'm interested in this refurb, but why you have to call them? I'm in Australia so the time zone and calling cost is a problem, and then speaking over the phone for the address, credit card etc is also much more difficult and easy to get wrong. Is there anyway to order online?
Here is the order page: https://www.oppodigital.com/proddeta...?prod=ZBDP103D

At checkout they offer shipping only to the US, Canada and Mexico. You might contact them to see if other arrangements are possible.

Here is the contact page: https://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx

There it says: "For customers inquiring about Australian (AU) models, please contact your local reseller for assistance." If you want a North American model, ask if they'll do it.

-Bill
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain 05:06 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrollens View Post
What range of Darbee settings are folks using and have found best? Would appreciate some advise on where to start with the settings. Want maximum picture quality from my Panasonic 65ZT60 without artifacts. Much appreciated.
People have often offered 35-40% Hidef as a good minimalistic setting. Some go higher.

It's subjective, though. You have to trust your eyes, experiment and make adjustments after trying different settings for a while.

-Bill
rrollens's Avatar rrollens 07:41 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
People have often offered 35-40% Hidef as a good minimalistic setting. Some go higher.

It's subjective, though. You have to trust your eyes, experiments and make adjustments after trying different settings for a while.

-Bill

Thank you so much.
hernanu's Avatar hernanu 10:02 AM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrollens View Post
Thank you so much.
I think it's also dependent on your display, since it is a subtle, though noticeable effect.

I have an older Vizio SV472XVT. It's a FALD display, so I'm pretty happy with it, but probably is not quite the best around. So for me, setting Darbee to 47% or so seems to hit the sweet spot visually.
mhobart's Avatar mhobart 01:59 PM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by paligap View Post
I always read the manual, the instructions, etc., even if it's indecipherable, like the manual for my Denon 4310, which is not 3D capable.
Amusing anecdote. A number of years ago while in Japan a colleague had purchased a new calculator. We were having problems figuring out the English version of the manual and thought it was just a bad translation (common folk wisdom). He brought the manual and the calculator to the meeting we were attending. Several full professors from the University of Tokyo looked over the manual and found the Japanese version just as bad as the English version. It wasn't a bad translation, but rather simply a bad manual (in multiple languages).
Dennis0201's Avatar Dennis0201 02:00 PM 07-25-2014
Is it allowed to discuss jailbreak here? just wondering....
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau 02:03 PM 07-25-2014
^ AVS does not allow discussion of hacked player firmware, particularly if it is for sale.

Discussion of Region Free modifications is OK.
--Bob
rrollens's Avatar rrollens 04:11 PM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I think it's also dependent on your display, since it is a subtle, though noticeable effect.

I have an older Vizio SV472XVT. It's a FALD display, so I'm pretty happy with it, but probably is not quite the best around. So for me, setting Darbee to 47% or so seems to hit the sweet spot visually.

Thank you for your response.
ferrari fan's Avatar ferrari fan 04:14 PM 07-25-2014
Since my refurbished 103D is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, I thought I'd see if anybody has bought this kit for their 103D to make it region free.
Eventually, I'll most likely get this mod to make it region free. Has anybody used this region free mod with their 103D ? The seller says it will work on the 103 and the 103D. This is the same seller I bought my region free kit from for my Oppo 83.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160942653070...84.m1423.l2649
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes 04:33 PM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari fan View Post
Since my refurbished 103D is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, I thought I'd see if anybody has bought this kit for their 103D to make it region free.
Eventually, I'll most likely get this mod to make it region free. Has anybody used this region free mod with their 103D ? The seller says it will work on the 103 and the 103D. This is the same seller I bought my region free kit from for my Oppo 83.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160942653070...84.m1423.l2649
That's a respected seller, and the external mod seems to be working well for many folks. It does take up a USB port, if that's a concern.
ferrari fan's Avatar ferrari fan 05:47 PM 07-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari fan
Since my refurbished 103D is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, I thought I'd see if anybody has bought this kit for their 103D to make it region free.
Eventually, I'll most likely get this mod to make it region free. Has anybody used this region free mod with their 103D ? The seller says it will work on the 103 and the 103D. This is the same seller I bought my region free kit from for my Oppo 83.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160942653070...84.m1423.l2649






Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
That's a respected seller, and the external mod seems to be working well for many folks. It does take up a USB port, if that's a concern.

Using the rear USB port won't be a problem as I don't ever anticipate using it other than for the modded chip input as there is a USB port on the front if I need to use it. Just a note, I wish Oppo had placed a rubber dust cover for the front USB port on the 103/103D as they did for the 83. Makes it look a bit nicer having it covered than just an open port.
Tags: Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
First ... 156  157  158 159  160  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop