Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 160 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Blu-ray Players > Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread

Blu-ray Players

Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants
08:34 PM Liked: 187
post #4771 of 5988
07-28-2014 | Posts: 16,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari fan View Post
I wonder what they updated ? My manual is version 1.1 and 90 pages. The updated manual is version 1.2 and 90 pages. Thanks for the update Bob. Maybe this weekend I'll skim over them both at the same time and try and figure out what they updated just out of curiosity. It would have been nice if they posted it along with the update link.
If you look at the first post in this thread, it lists most of the changes that are made from firmware revisions.
Most likely that is the cause of the updated online manual, to include those changes and added features where applicable.
ljmart's Avatar ljmart
12:16 AM Liked: 183
post #4772 of 5988
07-29-2014 | Posts: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari fan View Post
I wonder what they updated ? My manual is version 1.1 and 90 pages. The updated manual is version 1.2 and 90 pages. Thanks for the update Bob. Maybe this weekend I'll skim over them both at the same time and try and figure out what they updated just out of curiosity. It would have been nice if they posted it along with the update link.
thanks for this info...the manual that came with my player last week is v.1.2.
DanF8500's Avatar DanF8500
08:34 AM Liked: 203
post #4773 of 5988
07-29-2014 | Posts: 1,305
^^ Actually, the new 103D manual is Ver 1.2.1. I think Oppo forgot to update the second to the last page of the manual to reflect their new revision. The filename of the pdf file says "....._v1.2.1.pdf". Same thing for the 105 and the 103. Their updated manuals are ver 1.8.1 (based on the filename), and their previous versions were 1.8, but both of their latest manuals still show Ver 1.8 on the second to last page.
meli's Avatar meli
03:12 PM Liked: 11
post #4774 of 5988
07-30-2014 | Posts: 265
Is there a way to turn off the lights that turn on and flash in the back of the Oppo when it's connected to a LAN?
wmcclain's Avatar wmcclain
03:20 PM Liked: 385
post #4775 of 5988
07-30-2014 | Posts: 17,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
Is there a way to turn off the lights that turn on and flash in the back of the Oppo when it's connected to a LAN?
No, not that I've heard. Use black tape if it bothers you.

-Bill
hernanu's Avatar hernanu
03:35 PM Liked: 239
post #4776 of 5988
07-30-2014 | Posts: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
No, not that I've heard. Use black tape if it bothers you.

-Bill
That's a standard to show you've got connectivity. I've never seen that suppressed.
gsr's Avatar gsr
08:19 PM Liked: 218
post #4777 of 5988
07-30-2014 | Posts: 7,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
That's a standard to show you've got connectivity. I've never seen that suppressed.
My HP Pro Curve switches have a setting that will turn off all lights on the switch, but the Oppo players don't have such a setting. There would be no harm in sending Oppo a suggestion, though there may be hardware limitations that make this impossible on the current product line.
hernanu's Avatar hernanu
07:55 AM Liked: 239
post #4778 of 5988
07-31-2014 | Posts: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
My HP Pro Curve switches have a setting that will turn off all lights on the switch, but the Oppo players don't have such a setting. There would be no harm in sending Oppo a suggestion, though there may be hardware limitations that make this impossible on the current product line.
Huh... you live and learn...

As part of network design I work with mil grade switches and routers and have for years, never saw that option.

I guess I never dealt with home routers / switches outside of my own. Dangerous option to me, but if the leds are causing issues and you're aware that you have them off, then... Ok.
AidenL's Avatar AidenL
03:50 PM Liked: 15
post #4779 of 5988
07-31-2014 | Posts: 140
Just got a 103 D tonight - I have a JVC X500 which will accept a 4k input - should I set the Oppo to output 4k or let the JVC just do its shifting on a 1080 signal inwards?
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
04:40 PM Liked: 481
post #4780 of 5988
07-31-2014 | Posts: 24,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Just got a 103 D tonight - I have a JVC X500 which will accept a 4k input - should I set the Oppo to output 4k or let the JVC just do its shifting on a 1080 signal inwards?
Why not try both and select the one you like best?
gsr's Avatar gsr
07:53 PM Liked: 218
post #4781 of 5988
07-31-2014 | Posts: 7,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Huh... you live and learn...

As part of network design I work with mil grade switches and routers and have for years, never saw that option.

I guess I never dealt with home routers / switches outside of my own. Dangerous option to me, but if the leds are causing issues and you're aware that you have them off, then... Ok.
The HP Pro Curve switches aren't home grade gear, they're rack mounted small business level switches, equivalent to some of the mid level Cisco stuff (not the rebranded Linksys stuff). IIRC, you turn on Green Mode and all of the lights go off. It's a really nice feature when the switch is mounted in a location where the lights would be a distraction.
AC2011's Avatar AC2011
06:34 AM Liked: 38
post #4782 of 5988
08-01-2014 | Posts: 438
Hi, all - I'm off the schneid, and have ordered up a shiny new 103D! It should arrive to me next week sometime. I figured, after years of trying to convince myself that I didn't NEED an Oppo, that I really wanted one!

Anyway, I have an initial setup question - I have "calibrated" my 65" Samsung plasma using suggested calibration settings from CNET (I think that's where I got them). If I recall (I have to double check), there was a suggestion to set the TV's sharpness level at something other than zero.

Since I plan to use Darbee - my plan is to run the output of my AVR into the Oppo, so Darbee will be applied to everything - should I re-calibrate the TV to set sharpness to zero?

And, as far as general calibration goes, I recently purchased the Disney WOW calibration disc, but haven't used it yet - is this "good enough" for calibration, or should I get the Spears & Munsil disk instead?
06:51 AM Liked: 385
post #4783 of 5988
08-01-2014 | Posts: 17,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2011 View Post
Hi, all - I'm off the schneid, and have ordered up a shiny new 103D! It should arrive to me next week sometime. I figured, after years of trying to convince myself that I didn't NEED an Oppo, that I really wanted one!

Anyway, I have an initial setup question - I have "calibrated" my 65" Samsung plasma using suggested calibration settings from CNET (I think that's where I got them). If I recall (I have to double check), there was a suggestion to set the TV's sharpness level at something other than zero.

Since I plan to use Darbee - my plan is to run the output of my AVR into the Oppo, so Darbee will be applied to everything - should I re-calibrate the TV to set sharpness to zero?

And, as far as general calibration goes, I recently purchased the Disney WOW calibration disc, but haven't used it yet - is this "good enough" for calibration, or should I get the Spears & Munsil disk instead?
I would set everything back to zero and start fresh with the calibration disc.

I don't have the Disney disc but have heard good things about it. There is also a free downloadable disc here on the forum: AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration. You'll want the AVCHD version for OPPO. Either burn it to a DVD or copy it to a USB device.

-Bill
AC2011's Avatar AC2011
07:28 AM Liked: 38
post #4784 of 5988
08-01-2014 | Posts: 438
Quote:

I've don't have the Disney disc but have heard good things about it. There is also a free downloadable disc here on the forum: AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration. You'll want the AVCHD version for OPPO. Either burn it to a DVD or copy it to a USB device.

-Bill

Thanks. Once I get the Oppo, I will try resetting the TV to factory defaults, use the WOW disc, then start using Darbee.
mhobart's Avatar mhobart
07:43 AM Liked: 31
post #4785 of 5988
08-01-2014 | Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
If you look at the first post in this thread, it lists most of the changes that are made from firmware revisions.
Most likely that is the cause of the updated online manual, to include those changes and added features where applicable.
There are some utilities out there which can show you the differences in pdf files. These are available both for Windows and for Mac. I don't recall the name right offhand, but I used the Mac version quite a while back to see what had changed between two versions of the BDP-93 manuals. As people have speculated re the BPD-103D manuals, the differences I found were related to firmware updates/features.
Bob Pariseau's Avatar Bob Pariseau
08:17 AM Liked: 994
post #4786 of 5988
08-01-2014 | Posts: 28,008
Quote:

I don't have the Disney disc but have heard good things about it. There is also a free downloadable disc here on the forum: AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration. You'll want the AVCHD version for OPPO. Either burn it to a DVD or copy it to a USB device.

-Bill
The Disney WOW disc works fine, but it does have one guidance which I disagree with:

It instructs you to raise White levels (Contrast control) until Peak Whites above Reference White are no longer distinguishable.

Now some TVs can't reproduce Peak Whites well or at all. Some TV's color reproduction may clip up there before other colors leading either to color tinted whites or complete clipping, and so long as you can reproduce up to Reference White accurately that's "good enough". Also raising Contrast in this fashion does raise the overall light output up there which is important if your display is light challenged, perhaps because you don't view in a dimly lit room.

But if your display CAN reproduce Peak Whites accurately, and if you don't NEED the extra light output to produce a pleasing Reference White (i.e., not gray or dingy), then it is better to lower Contrast until the Peak Whites (Luma values from 236 through 254) become visible.

It is pretty common for content to include Peak White pixel values -- sparks, glints, highlights in clouds. By calibrating so these can still be seen you retain more interest in the picture.

If your display is light challenged for Reference White when you do this, then a compromise setting of lower Contrast which still allows SOME of the Peak White range to stay visible is still preferable.

For Newbies: Any display will have an upper limit on how bright it can get. The Contrast setting adjusts which Luma (gray scale) pixel value triggers that max light output from the display. Any pixel values above that will be indistinguishable because they can still only be reproduced as that SAME max light output. By lowering Contrast you reduce the light output of any given pixel Luma value but also allow higher Luma values to become distinguishable.

A professional calibrator (an ISF Tech) would use an optical sensor -- a light meter -- to insure Reference White is producing the recommended light output for your technology of display, and adjust Contrast accordingly to achieve that while still keeping as much of the Peak Whites visible as your display can handle cleanly.
--Bob
hernanu's Avatar hernanu
06:52 PM Liked: 239
post #4787 of 5988
08-01-2014 | Posts: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The HP Pro Curve switches aren't home grade gear, they're rack mounted small business level switches, equivalent to some of the mid level Cisco stuff (not the rebranded Linksys stuff). IIRC, you turn on Green Mode and all of the lights go off. It's a really nice feature when the switch is mounted in a location where the lights would be a distraction.
No, you're right - in the setting where they're a distraction its a nice feature, and I don't know the Pro Curve, just deal mostly with Cisco and such, just never saw it in high demand communications stuff. Like I said, live and learn.
bob brennan's Avatar bob brennan
04:40 AM Liked: 113
post #4788 of 5988
08-02-2014 | Posts: 684
Quote:

Depending on your TV you can use another "picture mode" to calibrate and save the current settings - I have a Panasonic ZT and have 4 separate settings in the different modes - CNET, S&V, D-Nice new & old stored.

You say you will run "everything" from AVR to OPPO - what is everything?
mogrub's Avatar mogrub
09:24 AM Liked: 132
post #4789 of 5988
08-02-2014 | Posts: 588
Quote:
Hi, all - I'm off the schneid, and have ordered up a shiny new 103D! It should arrive to me next week sometime.
You'll have a blast playing with your new toy!

Quote:
... I have "calibrated" my 65" Samsung plasma using suggested calibration settings from CNET (I think that's where I got them)... and, as far as general calibration goes, I recently purchased the Disney WOW calibration disc, but haven't used it yet - is this "good enough" for calibration, or should I get the Spears & Munsil disk instead?
You've already got great help from Bill and Bob P and others, but consider also that an excellent ISF calibration could upgrade your Samsung Plasma's PQ even more dramatically than your Oppo will. That's no slight to the Oppo, I love mine.

If you hire somebody good, who has invested lots of time in their passion, and lots of money in their gear, what they can achieve over several patient hours typically exceeds what a homeowner using a disc will achieve. IMHO of course.

But you'll love your Oppo, whether you go Disney Wow or ISF WOW. Enjoy!
AidenL's Avatar AidenL
10:41 AM Liked: 15
post #4790 of 5988
08-02-2014 | Posts: 140
I have found the link to the factors reset settings in the first post - but I was wondering is there s default set of picture settings I should be using based on the 'best' possible picture - i.e I see 35% HD recommended for Darbee, what about all the other settings?

I could swear I saw recommended settings in the thread before, but for the life of me, I can't find it now......
10:51 AM Liked: 385
post #4791 of 5988
08-02-2014 | Posts: 17,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
I have found the link to the factors reset settings in the first post - but I was wondering is there s default set of picture settings I should be using based on the 'best' possible picture - i.e I see 35% HD recommended for Darbee, what about all the other settings?

I could swear I saw recommended settings in the thread before, but for the life of me, I can't find it now......
Our recommended Picture Adjustment settings are all zero, with Darbee being a matter of taste.

The FAQ has general recommendations: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

-Bill
Fanboyz's Avatar Fanboyz
10:51 AM Liked: 19
post #4792 of 5988
08-02-2014 | Posts: 2,432
0 on everything, Audio DRC set to off- that's a start.
AidenL's Avatar AidenL
11:13 AM Liked: 15
post #4793 of 5988
08-02-2014 | Posts: 140
Quote:
Our recommended Picture Adjustment settings are all zero, with Darbee being a matter of taste.

The FAQ has general recommendations: What are the recommended settings for the OPPO BDP-103?

-Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
0 on everything, Audio DRC set to off- that's a start.
Thanks guys!
nittro's Avatar nittro
08:49 PM Liked: 14
post #4794 of 5988
08-02-2014 | Posts: 62
Hi all I just got my oppo today is there any settings that should be set for proper picture I got darbe set to high deff and 35% is their anything I'm missing ty
htwaits's Avatar htwaits
12:59 AM Liked: 481
post #4795 of 5988
08-03-2014 | Posts: 24,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittro View Post
Hi all I just got my oppo today is there any settings that should be set for proper picture I got darbe set to high deff and 35% is their anything I'm missing ty
Leave all your picture settings at default (0).
scotthal's Avatar scotthal
02:38 AM Liked: 13
post #4796 of 5988
08-03-2014 | Posts: 91
Recently bought a refurb bdp-103d (Thanks for the link, wmcclain!); love the effect, would like to extend it to my other video sources. Current chain runs Oppo HDMI1 -> A/V receiver -> switch [LG 55LW5600 | BenQ W1070]. Figure I can re-cable to: Oppo HDMI2 (audio only) -> A/V receiver -> Oppo HDMI in; Oppo HDMI1 -> switch [].

Receiver handles the source switching (PC, atsc tuner, cable, blu-ray) & audio; Oppo handles blu-ray playback and video post-processing.

Q (I'm an old (verging on geriatric) analog guy): If I wake up the system with the A/V receiver input set to "blu-ray" & the Oppo input selection set to HDMI IN-BACK (vs BLU-RAY PLAYER), am I going to get feedback? Would prefer to avoid a destructive positive feedback loop, and am a bit out of my element.
jasenkent
03:07 AM Liked: 0
post #4797 of 5988
08-03-2014 | Posts: 41
I'm just curious. Do these ever go on sale or are they the same price always?
05:31 AM Liked: 385
post #4798 of 5988
08-03-2014 | Posts: 17,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasenkent View Post
I'm just curious. Do these ever go on sale or are they the same price always?
No, never on sale. Some resellers may offer free shipping, and OPPO sometimes has refurbished units, same warranty as new, at a good discount. Those are a good deal.

-Bill
05:35 AM Liked: 385
post #4799 of 5988
08-03-2014 | Posts: 17,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthal View Post
Recently bought a refurb bdp-103d (Thanks for the link, wmcclain!); love the effect, would like to extend it to my other video sources. Current chain runs Oppo HDMI1 -> A/V receiver -> switch [LG 55LW5600 | BenQ W1070]. Figure I can re-cable to: Oppo HDMI2 (audio only) -> A/V receiver -> Oppo HDMI in; Oppo HDMI1 -> switch [].

Receiver handles the source switching (PC, atsc tuner, cable, blu-ray) & audio; Oppo handles blu-ray playback and video post-processing.

Q (I'm an old (verging on geriatric) analog guy): If I wake up the system with the A/V receiver input set to "blu-ray" & the Oppo input selection set to HDMI IN-BACK (vs BLU-RAY PLAYER), am I going to get feedback? Would prefer to avoid a destructive positive feedback loop, and am a bit out of my element.
As a general rule you cannot have loops in an HDMI chain, although with care some people here have reported getting it to work. I'm forgetting the details, so wouldn't dare guess whether what you propose would work.

-Bill
Aliens's Avatar Aliens
12:03 PM Liked: 451
post #4800 of 5988
08-03-2014 | Posts: 7,948
This is strange. Using split A/V. Last input. The past couple of days when I turn on all of my equipment I get no input to the TV but I have audio. I have to select blu-ray on the 103, and then once again select rear HDMI in in order to get a picture. I reset the "settings only" to factory default but that didn't help.

When I received this last week, after swapping a 103 for the D, it copy protected HBO. I went direct from the HR44 to the TV with no problem. The next day when I turned everything on the 103 accepted HBO and I haven't had a problem since.

Okay. For some reason the Oppo dosen't want to accept HBO when I turn it on. I have to go through the above for it to work. If I have any other channel selected I get a picture.
Tags: Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc

Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Blu-ray Players

Subscribe to this Thread