Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 161 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4801 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Here is my current setup. DirecTV>Oppo103D>Samsung F8500>to Onyko via HDMI 3 (ARC) all with Redmere cables. When using a standard $5 HDMI cable from tv via HDMI3 (ARC), and with Anynet CEC turned on, I have no problems and ARC works just fine. I can turn on and off the receiver with tv remote and I get sound. However, when I use a redmere cable the final leg, I can turn receiver off and on with tv remote, but get no sound. I even switch the ends of the cable, and still no sound. I know the cable work fine as I tested it with another device directly to tv. I just got the Oppo 103D, so it was the first time I hooked up the DirecTV box to the OPPO, and from there to tv. Not only would ARC not work properly, but after about an hour viewing DirecTV, the audio would drop off and nothing but loud static. This was even with optical instead of ARC. Then I replaced the redmere cable from DirecTV to OPPO, with another cheapo HDMI cable, and no loss of audio. Having a redmere cable on the last leg from OPPO to TV works fine, but any others in that chain cause issues. Maybe it's the OPPO not capable of working with redmere cables properly when used to attach another device to it, and then processing the signal, and then sending it to tv. I switched redmere cables and it would happen again. All redmeres worked fine when connecting each device directly to tv, but developed issues when going through the OPPO. The cheap $5 cables work fine with no issues.
wxman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4802 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member
 
PlayNice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Here is my current setup. DirecTV>Oppo103D>Samsung F8500>to Onyko via HDMI 3 (ARC) all with Redmere cables. When using a standard $5 HDMI cable from tv via HDMI3 (ARC), and with Anynet CEC turned on, I have no problems and ARC works just fine. I can turn on and off the receiver with tv remote and I get sound. However, when I use a redmere cable the final leg, I can turn receiver off and on with tv remote, but get no sound. I even switch the ends of the cable, and still no sound. I know the cable work fine as I tested it with another device directly to tv. I just got the Oppo 103D, so it was the first time I hooked up the DirecTV box to the OPPO, and from there to tv. Not only would ARC not work properly, but after about an hour viewing DirecTV, the audio would drop off and nothing but loud static. This was even with optical instead of ARC. Then I replaced the redmere cable from DirecTV to OPPO, with another cheapo HDMI cable, and no loss of audio. Having a redmere cable on the last leg from OPPO to TV works fine, but any others in that chain cause issues. Maybe it's the OPPO not capable of working with redmere cables properly when used to attach another device to it, and then processing the signal, and then sending it to tv. I switched redmere cables and it would happen again. All redmeres worked fine when connecting each device directly to tv, but developed issues when going through the OPPO. The cheap $5 cables work fine with no issues.
Redmere HDMI cables are only unidirectional and are typically used for extra long runs or runs with interference. You need to use a bidirectional cable for ARC. Also since Redmere HDMI cables are only unidirectional they do tend to have issues with EDID and HDCP and should only be used for a one to one connection, not daisy changed. Hope this info helps you out.
lanping09 likes this.

Last edited by PlayNice; 08-03-2014 at 03:17 PM.
PlayNice is online now  
post #4803 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
Redmere HDMI cables are only unidirectional and are typically used for extra long runs or runs with interference. You need to use a bidirectional cable for ARC. Also since Redmere HDMI cables are only unidirectional they do tend to have issues with EDID and HDCP and should only be used for a one to one connection, not daisy changed. Hope this info helps you out.
Thank you! I was going nuts trying to figure it out!
wxman is offline  
post #4804 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
PlayNice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 637
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Thank you! I was going nuts trying to figure it out!
Just buy good quality cheap HDMI cables and call it good.
PlayNice is online now  
post #4805 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 03:49 PM
Newbie
 
JHex2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi, I need a blu-ray player for my HT setup, and I'm super-interested in an Oppo. The complication is that I already have a Darblet. Should I even bother with an Oppo if I already have the standalone Darbee? Will I still see a benefit if say I get a BDP-103 as opposed to some sony player? Audio is also important, as the player will be connected via RCA to a Rega Brio-R driving PSB Imagine Minis. Thanks!
JHex2 is offline  
post #4806 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,375
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHex2 View Post
Hi, I need a blu-ray player for my HT setup, and I'm super-interested in an Oppo. The complication is that I already have a Darblet. Should I even bother with an Oppo if I already have the standalone Darbee? Will I still see a benefit if say I get a BDP-103 as opposed to some sony player? Audio is also important, as the player will be connected via RCA to a Rega Brio-R driving PSB Imagine Minis. Thanks!
Welcome to the AVS Forums.

There are other benefits to buying a 103D over a 103, but Darbee is definitely the main one.
Other people use an external Darbee with a 103 and like it, but some also report some handshaking issues at times,
and whenever you can eliminate having too many pieces of hardware running your audio and video through them,
the better chances there are of not having issues.
So far there have been pretty much zero issues with the built in Darbee processing of the 103D/105D players.

Some of the differences between the 103 and 103D are...
~the Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processor.
(the VRS chip allows for a slightly better picture presentation do to some ever so slight undefeatable DNR in the QDEO chip.)
~the Darbee Visual Presence video processor.
~the ability to send DSD over HDMI on the HDMI-1 output.
~the remote is a slightly different version with a Darbee button.
(otherwise the remote is identical to the remote for the BDP-105/103)

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #4807 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHex2 View Post
Hi, I need a blu-ray player for my HT setup, and I'm super-interested in an Oppo. The complication is that I already have a Darblet. Should I even bother with an Oppo if I already have the standalone Darbee? Will I still see a benefit if say I get a BDP-103 as opposed to some sony player? Audio is also important, as the player will be connected via RCA to a Rega Brio-R driving PSB Imagine Minis.

Thanks!
I had the darbee darblet, and now the 103D. The darbee effect will be no different. Both work great. However, the main reason I got the 103D is being able to feed my DirecTV into the 103D, where it converts the 720p, 1080i HD feed to 1080p, and then adds the darbee effect. It pushes the quality up another step vs the stand alone darbee which adds the darbee effect and then send the 1080i and 720p to the tv to be processed again.
wxman is offline  
post #4808 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,874
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
This is strange. Using split A/V. Last input. The past couple of days when I turn on all of my equipment I get no input to the TV but I have audio. I have to select blu-ray on the 103, and then once again select rear HDMI in in order to get a picture. I reset the "settings only" to factory default but that didn't help.

When I received this last week, after swapping a 103 for the D, it copy protected HBO. I went direct from the HR44 to the TV with no problem. The next day when I turned everything on the 103 accepted HBO and I haven't had a problem since.

Okay. For some reason the Oppo dosen't want to accept HBO when I turn it on. I have to go through the above for it to work. If I have any other channel selected I get a picture.
HBO is copy protected, and the other channels you are likely trying are not.

Probably what's going on here is just a power up timing issue -- the set top box is trying to do the copy protection check before something else in the chaing (likely your TV) is ready to respond properly. Try delaying the power up sequence so that you are sure the TV is fully booted up before you turn on the OPPO. If you aren't leaving your TV set top box turned on all the time, power it up last after you are sure the OPPO has fully booted up.

(Toggling the Input setting just forces a new handshake -- but of course by that point everything is fully powered up.)
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #4809 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Member
 
RocknRolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering selling my 103 and purchasing a 103D.

To make the upgrade sting less, I was thinking about going for a refurbished unit.

What's the general consensus on Oppo and refurbished? Do they generally play/look like new?
RocknRolla is offline  
post #4810 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 09:04 PM
One-Man Content Creator
 
wmcclain's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 17,630
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRolla View Post
I'm considering selling my 103 and purchasing a 103D.

To make the upgrade sting less, I was thinking about going for a refurbished unit.

What's the general consensus on Oppo and refurbished? Do they generally play/look like new?
Yes, people say they look new. Same two-year warranty as new.

Remember that OPPO offers a 30-day return on their players, and I suspect they get quite a few back from people who were just kicking the tires.

-Bill
wmcclain is online now  
post #4811 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Member
 
scorpion901's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRolla View Post
I'm considering selling my 103 and purchasing a 103D.

To make the upgrade sting less, I was thinking about going for a refurbished unit.

What's the general consensus on Oppo and refurbished? Do they generally play/look like new?
I just recently bought a refurb unit from Oppo and I can't tell the difference between my unit and a brand new one. The packaging and all components look new and are wrapped just like a new unit. It is performing flawlessly for me. The only thing I had to do is update the firmware and download the most recent manual since the included hard copy manual is a previous revision. According to the sticker by the serial number my unit was produced in 12/2013. Hope this helps. A great buy at $489.00 plus shipping (maybe tax if in CA.).

Home Theater Setup
Polk RTi10 +CSi5+FXi5+RTi6
SVS PB2000 Subwoofer
Sharp LC-70SQ15U HDTV
Onkyo TX-NR818 AVR
Oppo BDP-103D & Toshiba HD-XA2 HD Player
scorpion901 is offline  
post #4812 of 5769 Old 08-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Member
 
MegaMember's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
new purchase

I've been reading through these threads (esp. Oppo ones) for the past two weeks and finally placed my order for a new 103D for $599.99. This will be replacing a Panasonic DMP-55 which was part of my original 7.1 family room HT I did back in 2008.

I also pulled the trigger on a Samsung UN50HU8550 set for $1599.99 (through Crutchfield) which is replacing a 46" Sony Aquos LCD.

My original Onkyo TX-SR705 is still running strong after ~15,000 hours, and I know I'm going to have to run video and audio separately. What I'm not sure of is how I can run everything through the Oppo to get the full benefit of Darbee. I've bumped into a few threads about doing this, but not with older AVR hookups, so I'm not even sure it's possible. Even so, getting the "D" was a no-brainer to me and my huge collection of SDVD/Blu-rays.

I guess I'll be back when I get everything later in the week and have it all together. I'm so excited after getting the "ok" from the wife tonight, I can hardly contain myself!

(And if you needed to know, that one word makes a HUGE difference in a happy, healthy marriage!)
MegaMember is offline  
post #4813 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 01:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,375
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 176
^ There should be no incompatibilities between the 103D and your 705.
The best way to set up your devices to make best use for Darbee processing, depends on which devices and how many of them there are.
(You may regret buying that tv in about a year or so though.)

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #4814 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Aliens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,923
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post

Probably what's going on here is just a power up timing issue -- the set top box is trying to do the copy protection check before something else in the chaing (likely your TV) is ready to respond properly. Try delaying the power up sequence so that you are sure the TV is fully booted up before you turn on the OPPO. If you aren't leaving your TV set top box turned on all the time, power it up last after you are sure the OPPO has fully booted up.

--Bob
That did it. Thanks, Bob.

I let the Oppo go through its cycle then I power up the D* HR44.Doing it this way gets a picture faster than powering everything up at one time. We're talking seconds, but still...
Aliens is offline  
post #4815 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Member
 
MegaMember's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
(You may regret buying that tv in about a year or so though.)
Can you explain further? Are you referring to OLEDs coming out next year? Or something else about the PQ of this set.

My goal right now is getting something that is reasonable, has UHD, has good PQ, can do 3D, has connectivity (none of my components have wireless or wired capability), and is upgradable. For that low price and because I'm only getting the 50", I figured it wasn't a bad purchase.

Now, if I were dropping $6-10k on a 75" or 85", I would want that set to be the one for the next 10 years or so. I know 4K OLED will have a huge retail price tag for at least 3-5 years, probably way out of my price range.
MegaMember is offline  
post #4816 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Member
 
MegaMember's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Roku Stick

Dave,

Thanks for your support of my AVR. I may be back here with questions soon!

One quick question. I noticed you (and others) have the Oppo with the Roku stick. What are the advantages with Roku? Does it provide a better interface than the Oppo does with apps, like Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube? I ordered the 103D without it, but I'm thinking now for the extra $50 maybe I should just get it.
MegaMember is offline  
post #4817 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,874
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 945
The point of getting a Roku product is to add Internet apps that aren't built into the OPPO. Things like Amazon.

For any apps already in the OPPO, you should use the built-in app.

Note that to use the Roku stick you MUST have Wifi set up. It makes its own connection to your Wifi independent of what the OPPO does for networking. If you only have Ethernet set up, then get a separate Roku box like the Roku 3.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #4818 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
akm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Spokane WA USA
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Forgive me for asking this, I'm not understanding clearly from the website.

Can the Oppo player perform 2D to 3D upconversion? Can it do it on DVD? Can it do on things passing through the HDMI input? Is it good at it?

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
akm3 is offline  
post #4819 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
PM-Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
hi guys,
I am finally in the position that I may finally buy one of these things in the next week or so. Still trying to decide the worth of stepping to the Darby model.

Some questions I have are:
1. I see some say Darby is not that great and some say Darby is the sh!t on a projector. Anyone have any downsides they found with Darby yet that makes them wish they got the regular 103? I think my picture looks pretty solid, but one always thinks how much better can it get.
2. Does everyone just run HDMI for audio/video? Or do people run analog to use the DAC processing in the Oppo? (still trying to justify the purchase and move my Panny 220 to another room)
3. Do you shut off Darby for 3D viewing?
4. I will likely use the HDMI out to my Apple TV that is hooked to my Plex server. Think I will see any boost in performance for AQ and PQ from hooking to the Oppo?

Another reason for the upgrade is DVD upscaling. I stopped watching DVD's once I started getting bigger screens. Now with the projector I cant bring myself to currently watch my DVD's due to scaling, but I am tired of rebuying on BD.

PM-Performance is offline  
post #4820 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27,874
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
Forgive me for asking this, I'm not understanding clearly from the website.

Can the Oppo player perform 2D to 3D upconversion? Can it do it on DVD? Can it do on things passing through the HDMI input? Is it good at it?
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Of course don't expect it to look as good as content created in 3D.
--Bob
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #4821 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
mogrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Merica
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post
... Some questions I have are:

1. ... Anyone have any downsides they found with Darby yet that makes them wish they got the regular 103? I think my picture looks pretty solid,
There is no risk of any such downside, since the Darbee can be turned off at any time. The only "risk" is the extra 100 bucks. Read through this thread (and others) for 100's of detailed opinions, but to summarize, if you always try to squeeze "the last few percents of goodness" out of your AV equipment, you are very likely to appreciate the Darbee effect, and to consider that $100 well spent.
mogrub is offline  
post #4822 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
mogrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Merica
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 127
On question 2, I am HDMI for the usual reasons, though others enjoy the analog route. Obviously the 105D would be the analog audiophile choice with its superior DAC's.

On 3, yes definitely Darbee in 3D.

On 4, yes due to Darbee on PQ, but I doubt there'd be an audible AQ bump.

I think DVD up-scaling is an easily seen Oppo strength. It's still SISO though, so obviously not all DVD's are capable of reaching the same PQ ceiling via Oppo up-scaling.

We converted from primarily 65" plasma viewing to primarily a 110" projected image viewing a year ago, and that made a lot of our DVD collection less fun to watch. The 103D has returned many of them to useful service.
mogrub is offline  
post #4823 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,375
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMember View Post
Can you explain further? Are you referring to OLEDs coming out next year? Or something else about the PQ of this set.

My goal right now is getting something that is reasonable, has UHD, has good PQ, can do 3D, has connectivity (none of my components have wireless or wired capability), and is upgradable. For that low price and because I'm only getting the 50", I figured it wasn't a bad purchase.

Now, if I were dropping $6-10k on a 75" or 85", I would want that set to be the one for the next 10 years or so. I know 4K OLED will have a huge retail price tag for at least 3-5 years, probably way out of my price range.
I just meant there may be potential incompatibilities with 4k media since the specs haven't even been finalized yet.
Better for that to be discussed in the proper forum though.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #4824 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,375
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post
hi guys,
I am finally in the position that I may finally buy one of these things in the next week or so. Still trying to decide the worth of stepping to the Darby model.

Some questions I have are:
1. I see some say Darby is not that great and some say Darby is the sh!t on a projector. Anyone have any downsides they found with Darby yet that makes them wish they got the regular 103? I think my picture looks pretty solid, but one always thinks how much better can it get.
2. Does everyone just run HDMI for audio/video? Or do people run analog to use the DAC processing in the Oppo? (still trying to justify the purchase and move my Panny 220 to another room)
3. Do you shut off Darby for 3D viewing?
4. I will likely use the HDMI out to my Apple TV that is hooked to my Plex server. Think I will see any boost in performance for AQ and PQ from hooking to the Oppo?

Another reason for the upgrade is DVD upscaling. I stopped watching DVD's once I started getting bigger screens. Now with the projector I cant bring myself to currently watch my DVD's due to scaling, but I am tired of rebuying on BD.
Others have given some good info, so I will just comment on the bolded part...
I have the complete opposite opinion. I think the Darbee effect is more subtle on smaller displays, and is more relevant on larger displays.
I love the effect it has on my projection system with a 9ft wide screen.
Of course the Darbee also needs to be used in moderation, and if you crank it up to insane levels, that can make it look bad.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #4825 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanF8500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread

^ When someone says "Darby is the sh$t on a projector", I take that to mean it's "the bomb", "the best" on a projector! OTOH, if he had said "for sh$t", I would take that to mean the opposite.....Hahaha
Smarty-pants likes this.

Last edited by DanF8500; 08-04-2014 at 11:27 AM.
DanF8500 is online now  
post #4826 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
PM-Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ When someone says "Darby is the sh$t on a projector", I take that to mean it's "the bomb", "the best" on a projector! Hahaha
Yea thats what i meant. sorry
I heard less subtle on a panel and more significant once the image was blown up on a projector.
Anything on my 65" Panny plasma looks excellent. Once I blow stuff up to almost double on a projector though you can start seeing some flaws in rips or dvds

PM-Performance is offline  
post #4827 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Member
 
MegaMember's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I just meant there may be potential incompatibilities with 4k media since the specs haven't even been finalized yet.
Better for that to be discussed in the proper forum though.
I appreciate the honest opinion and quick response, nonetheless.

Last edited by MegaMember; 08-04-2014 at 11:51 AM.
MegaMember is offline  
post #4828 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
PM-Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMember View Post
I appreciate the honest opinion and quick response, nonetheless.

/agreed (103d >> 8550 >> 4k....look elsewhere, lol)

Should I get the Roku with the 103D? It's only an extra $50. Do you guys use it a lot over the 103D apps or in conjunction with it? Is it really a necessity?

The Oppo doesn't have the Amazon app, right? So would having the Roku be a way of grabbing it?
Not sure on what Roku costs? I think like $50-60? I would run a Chromecast. I have 3 of them and honestly I wish I got them first before getting my apple tv. Just as much access and less than a third of the price.

PM-Performance is offline  
post #4829 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Smarty-pants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 16,375
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ When someone says "Darby is the sh$t on a projector", I take that to mean it's "the bomb", "the best" on a projector! OTOH, if he had said "for sh$t", I would take that to mean the opposite.....Hahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by PM-Performance View Post
Yea thats what i meant. sorry
I heard less subtle on a panel and more significant once the image was blown up on a projector.
Anything on my 65" Panny plasma looks excellent. Once I blow stuff up to almost double on a projector though you can start seeing some flaws in rips or dvds

umm, sorry... I misread that post... thought it said Darbee was sh!t, not "the sh!t", lol.
moving on...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Smarty-pants is offline  
post #4830 of 5769 Old 08-04-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
akm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Spokane WA USA
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Of course don't expect it to look as good as content created in 3D.
--Bob
BOOM. Ordered. Thank you!

I was *APALLED* with the picture quality of a DVD as provided by my Sony BDP-S509 player (actually a BDP-59 costco version) and hope this does up conversion better. 3D DVD up converts is just a potential bonus and 3D AppleTV up converts is also just icing on the cake.

Trying out Darbee will be interesting too!!

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
akm3 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off