Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 162 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4831 of 5287 Old 08-04-2014, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for picture quality feedback from anyone has replaced or compared a PS3 with a 103/103D. Darby aside, is there a noticeable increase in picture quality moving from the PS3 to the 103/103D?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 5287 Old 08-04-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbturbo2 View Post
Looking for picture quality feedback from anyone has replaced or compared a PS3 with a 103/103D. Darby aside, is there a noticeable increase in picture quality moving from the PS3 to the 103/103D?
The biggest picture quality difference would be for SD DVD material.

Calibration Resources:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4833 of 5287 Old 08-04-2014, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The point of getting a Roku product is to add Internet apps that aren't built into the OPPO. Things like Amazon.

For any apps already in the OPPO, you should use the built-in app.

Note that to use the Roku stick you MUST have Wifi set up. It makes its own connection to your Wifi independent of what the OPPO does for networking. If you only have Ethernet set up, then get a separate Roku box like the Roku 3.
--Bob
For those who use Roku 3400M stick (MHL), do you find it fully capable of streaming 3D content thru Netflix? Considering the above information, I'm more inclined to go for the "wired" route with the Roku3 box for a faster connection. I also subscribe to Amazon streaming.

What do you guys think?
post #4834 of 5287 Old 08-04-2014, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
I replaced my PS3 with a 103D about a month ago. I haven't noticed a dramatic increase in picture quality but it is slightly better. It's also nice to be able to use my harmony, but I wouldn't say it's a slam dunk, especially if you're tight on cash.
Surfdrifter and lanping09 like this.
post #4835 of 5287 Old 08-04-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
BOOM. Ordered. Thank you!
You'll have fun. I'm certain it will breathe new life into some of your DVD collection.

Reading quickly on my small display phone earlier, I totally missed that Bob had already responded to your questions, or I wouldn't have typed out long answers that simply said, "Yah, what Bob said." At least it made my long wait in the dentist's office slightly more amusing.

And it's hard to go wrong agreeing with Bob ...

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #4836 of 5287 Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMember View Post
For those who use Roku 3400M stick (MHL), do you find it fully capable of streaming 3D content thru Netflix? Considering the above information, I'm more inclined to go for the "wired" route with the Roku3 box for a faster connection. I also subscribe to Amazon streaming.

What do you guys think?
Does Roku even offer access to 3D content from Netflix?
post #4837 of 5287 Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I used the PS3 for blu-ray playback up until the PS4 was released and have used the PS4 since then. About a month ago, I picked up the 103D and one thing I noticed that I never noticed before on any other blu-ray player is the field of depth. There are times, when I will notice a 3D effect. Not like a 3D movie though. If something is in the foreground, it will stick out even further and the background will be further back. It's more subtle than my words are describing it but the effect is there. I even noticed this watching a dvd of the first Back to the Future.

Quote:
post #4838 of 5287 Old 08-05-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuce View Post
I used the PS3 for blu-ray playback up until the PS4 was released and have used the PS4 since then. About a month ago, I picked up the 103D and one thing I noticed that I never noticed before on any other blu-ray player is the field of depth. There are times, when I will notice a 3D effect. Not like a 3D movie though. If something is in the foreground, it will stick out even further and the background will be further back. It's more subtle than my words are describing it but the effect is there. I even noticed this watching a dvd of the first Back to the Future.

Thanks Bruuce - regarding your field of depth comments, is that with Darbee off?
post #4839 of 5287 Old 08-05-2014, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Bruuce - regarding your field of depth comments, is that with Darbee off?
Both. I turned off Darbee when I was watching Back to the Future and still noticed it.
post #4840 of 5287 Old 08-05-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
I'm saying absolutely not. I've measured the output of an old (fat) PS3, a Panasonic BDT-BMP220, and a 103D using an i1Display Pro and Calman 5, and I've found zero differences. It's possible that there's a slight difference in motion handling but if so, I can't see it.

I should add that I like my 103D, mostly because it's a beautiful piece of machinery. However, for my primary uses, BD playback and Netflix streaming, both of my other players are just as good. In fact, the Netflix app is much more robust and reliable on the other two.

Adjusting settings according to personal preference is not

Last edited by willieconway; 08-05-2014 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added clarification
post #4841 of 5287 Old 08-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 867
^ The PS3 puts out correct video levels, so you wouldn't expect to see differences in calibration tools. It is weakest in de-interlacing, exacerbated by the fact that it can not be set to output 480i when playing SD-DVDs, so you can't even shift the de-interlacing task to your TV. It also has a problem for folks who need to send RGB to their Display (for whatever reason) in that it can not be set to preserve Blacker Than Black and Peak White pixel values in RGB output. (It's SuperWhite setting only achieves that for YCbCr output.)

Its main ADVANTAGE is that EVERY studio tests new releases against the PS3. So it is rare for stupid studio authoring tricks (e.g., new "copy protection" gimmicks) to actually trip up the PS3. I.e., they will "fix" them until the PS3 can handle it -- and then they stop -- which often leaves other players in the lurch.
--Bob
htwaits, Surfdrifter and lanping09 like this.

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #4842 of 5287 Old 08-07-2014, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
New Oppo in the house!

Got my 103D delivered yesterday. Had somewhere to be, so just had time to put it in the rack and set it up the "basic" way (ie. HDMI 1 out to AVR).

I know this is "old news", but just the unboxing of this unit is something special! An amazing looking piece of gear, and absolutely loving the "heft" of the remote; just feels like solid build quality.

Powered on and it had no issues with the internet connection (ethernet, but I've had other units that still had issues), loaded the firmware update no problem. Clicked on the Netflix app, which loaded super-quick, entered my member info to get it going; like the look of the Netflix interface on this compared to on my Sony it is replacing.

Excited to give Darbee a try soon; then consider hooking it up so that my cable box runs thru the Oppo to get the Darbee treatment as well.

Still can't quite believe I spent this much on a BD player (or a "box" as my wife refers to everything), but so far I feel like it is money well spent, and I can stop (constantly) thinking about an upgrade...at least for a BD player!

Boston Acoustics Classic series L/C/R + front presence; Fluance XLBP Bipole surrounds; Velodyne DLS-5000R
Yamaha RX-A3040; Emotiva XPA-3
Oppo BDP-103D
post #4843 of 5287 Old 08-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Dithered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
That said, and not even counting Darbee, the 103D is an improvement in MY system because the way the 103D does "Dithered" output (which I need) works better in my setup than the way the 105 does it.
My 103D will arrive a few days, so maybe I should be asking questions later, but I am OCD about being prepared. I've read this thread twice and have done searches for "dithered" and "1080p24hz" elsewhere. Because the 103D has so many options, I know I'm going to be playing with them for a long time. So I do apologize first if these questions have actually been answered somewhere, or seem like stupid questions to the upper eschelon here.

I have a hard copy of the 103D setting preferences, and have been taking notes on it while reading this thread all along. I see that under HDMI >> Deep Color there are 4 options: 36 bits, 30 bits (dithered), 30 bits, and Off (dithered). Is it correct to say that with dithering ON (either 30 of Off), people that prefer it see a more natural "blending" and smoothness to the video output, as opposed to banding effects or discontinuities? I'd like to know if this is simply preference, or an actual set-up issue (meaning it has to be ON to display video).

Also, does 1080p24hz ON make only SDVDs (new or old) better, BDs better, or both? I've seen it stated that this should only be used when Output Resolution is set to 1080p. So if you upconverted to 4Kx2K, would 1080p24hz be set to AUTO or OFF? I will be using the Oppo with a Samsung HU8550 display.
post #4844 of 5287 Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
U R Right great remote.

Just let the Oppo chose !

Later

G. 
post #4845 of 5287 Old 08-07-2014, 10:30 AM

1080p/24hz

I have just found this link, and assuming it's a reference for the 103D:

See the BDP-93 FAQ for more: Is DVD 24hz conversion supported?

helpful.
post #4846 of 5287 Old 08-07-2014, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm thinking of moving from a PS3 with an external darbee to the 103D. The reason is all the random handshake issues I get with the darbee in place. It seems this is not an issue with the 103D? Is it also the case that the 103D can upscale to 4K after applying darbee?

If I do this, I am planning to run the video from HDMI1 into a matrix switch to split between my tv and projector. HDMI2 would be audio only to my receiver. I'd probably run my directv box into the oppo as well to apply darbee processing. I have a roku, but the streaming apps on the 103D would largely replace them as I only use netflix and VUDU. I could just keep the Roku plugged into the AVR and not apply darbee for what little else I would still use it for.

The advantage to this over the stand alone darbee is that all my sources could have darbee and both my TV and PJ would have darbee as well. The big thing would be eliminating the standalone box and the handshaking issues it causes.

Am I missing anything or does anyone see a flaw in my plan?

Also, when running a cable box or other source through the oppo, does it need to be on? And how does switching between HDMI input 1 and 2 work? Has anyone automated this well with their harmony remote to switch correctly per activity?

Last edited by curlyjive; 08-07-2014 at 05:56 PM.
post #4847 of 5287 Old 08-07-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is such a nice player! It oozes awesome.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #4848 of 5287 Old 08-08-2014, 03:54 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
The big thing would be eliminating the standalone box and the handshaking issues it causes.
The 103D does seem a bit more stable in HDMI than player + Darblet, at least from what I read in the Darblet forum. In general: the more devices in the HDMI chain, the more opportunity for trouble.

Quote:
Also, when running a cable box or other source through the oppo, does it need to be on?
Yes.

Quote:
And how does switching between HDMI input 1 and 2 work?
The remote has an INPUT button that displays a popup menu.

Quote:
Has anyone automated this well with their harmony remote to switch correctly per activity?
See the FAQ: How do I select an INPUT source with a programmable remote?

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #4849 of 5287 Old 08-08-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 155
Quote:
Also, when running a cable box or other source through the oppo, does it need to be on? And how does switching between HDMI input 1 and 2 work? Has anyone automated this well with their harmony remote to switch correctly per activity?
I've got a comcast box going through my 103D and use the Logitech One (incredibly good remote).

No problems with controlling access to any activities. It works great, I didn't have to muck around with delays although I have no problem doing so.

Selection of the back HDMI slot for "Watch TV" is fairly quick. You do need to wait for the handshakes to finish, so for me it means about 10 seconds until the whole thing is finished and I'm watching cable.

No problem at all. My only issue is that the comcast box doesn't have native output, so I have to send things out as 1080i and the picture (although much better than the cable alone) is not as good as the 103D could make it.
post #4850 of 5287 Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
The 103D does seem a bit more stable in HDMI than player + Darblet, at least from what I read in the Darblet forum. In general: the more devices in the HDMI chain, the more opportunity for trouble.

Yes.

The remote has an INPUT button that displays a popup menu.

See the FAQ: How do I select an INPUT source with a programmable remote?

-Bill

Awesome, Thanks!

One the built in darbee note, the standalone unit has issues with deep color. Now I haven't read enough of this forum to gauge how many are using the deep color options but are people encountering issues with deep color and the built in darbee?

Last edited by curlyjive; 08-08-2014 at 07:13 AM.
post #4851 of 5287 Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I've got a comcast box going through my 103D and use the Logitech One (incredibly good remote).

No problems with controlling access to any activities. It works great, I didn't have to muck around with delays although I have no problem doing so.

Selection of the back HDMI slot for "Watch TV" is fairly quick. You do need to wait for the handshakes to finish, so for me it means about 10 seconds until the whole thing is finished and I'm watching cable.

No problem at all. My only issue is that the comcast box doesn't have native output, so I have to send things out as 1080i and the picture (although much better than the cable alone) is not as good as the 103D could make it.
I have the same remote. I was thinking the same thing...need a pause to everything is on, then issue the command to change inputs. Been a while since I've had to get that deep into the harmony software m but I'll figure it out. Good to know it works though, right now everything is just switched with a matrix switcher so I don't need to use delays.

I can output native from my directv box, so I will give that a shot. Since the oppo will scale everything to 1080p, it should not cause a delay when changing channels with different resolutions but the scaling will be better. I'm not that critical for TV watching vs movies on the PJ, but still nice to know.

Now I just gotta decide if I can stomach pulling the trigger. Thinking of going with a refurb to save a bit.

How is the streaming on these...mainly netflix and vudu? I asked support about 24p from HDX and I know that doesn't work...though I don't know of many players that can do this anyway.
post #4852 of 5287 Old 08-08-2014, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 155
Quote:
I have the same remote. I was thinking the same thing...need a pause to everything is on, then issue the command to change inputs. Been a while since I've had to get that deep into the harmony software m but I'll figure it out. Good to know it works though, right now everything is just switched with a matrix switcher so I don't need to use delays.

I can output native from my directv box, so I will give that a shot. Since the oppo will scale everything to 1080p, it should not cause a delay when changing channels with different resolutions but the scaling will be better. I'm not that critical for TV watching vs movies on the PJ, but still nice to know.

Now I just gotta decide if I can stomach pulling the trigger. Thinking of going with a refurb to save a bit.

How is the streaming on these...mainly netflix and vudu? I asked support about 24p from HDX and I know that doesn't work...though I don't know of many players that can do this anyway.
Streaming is good from Netflix (haven't tried Vudu yet) have had no problem with any movies - have watched probably about thirty or forty Netflix movies through the Oppo. The Darbee does a nice job with these.

I didn't have to put any pauses in, just dropped the start sequence in and went.

From what I know about Oppo (I have two), customer service is great - if you buy it and don't like it, don't expect a hassle. The refurbs are a great deal - if they had been available I would have snapped one up and not thought twice.
post #4853 of 5287 Old 08-08-2014, 07:14 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
Redmere HDMI cables are only unidirectional and are typically used for extra long runs or runs with interference. You need to use a bidirectional cable for ARC. Also since Redmere HDMI cables are only unidirectional they do tend to have issues with EDID and HDCP and should only be used for a one to one connection, not daisy changed. Hope this info helps you out.

Recognize this is a late response; but just catching up on the thread this morning. Following is listed as a supported HDMI feature on the Monoprice Redmere site: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

• Audio Return Channel - Normally, your HDMI cable carries audio information along with the video from a source device (e.g. blu-ray player) to the sink device (display/television). Often times this goes through an AV receiver to drive a home theater audio system. The Audio Return Channel is primarily used to send the audio signal generated by the television when its internal tuner is used, back to the AV receiver, so that you can use your home theater audio system when watching television signals.
Additionally, per Hometheaterhifi, ARC is supported: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/secre...echnology.html

Last edited by rlb; 08-08-2014 at 07:20 AM.
post #4854 of 5287 Old 08-08-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you have to use the Roku stick Oppo sells, or can you use one purchased elsewhere?
post #4855 of 5287 Old 08-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ You can use one purchased elsewhere. It needs to be the original, "HDMI/MHL" version to draw its power from the OPPO's front HDMI/MHL socket, and to use the OPPO remote with it.
--Bob
post #4856 of 5287 Old 08-08-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't see very much difference when I adjust the 3D depth setting. Is there a right way to set this control? Can it be calibrated to some standard?

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #4857 of 5287 Old 08-08-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
I don't see very much difference when I adjust the 3D depth setting. Is there a right way to set this control? Can it be calibrated to some standard?
3D depth setting is display dependent for Left and Right eye convergence & screen size. Sitting distance from the screen is a variable factor changing the settings "assumed" screen-size setting for assumed distance. Percievabiltiy is very little if at all, but changing the setting can help correct ghosting if it is present. If the distance between your eyes and the screen is 1.5x the screen size, the setting probably won't make a perceivable difference.

post #4858 of 5287 Old 08-08-2014, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I have a weird minor glitch with my 103D. Recently every time I play a blu ray disc- the play, ffwd, rewind, pause and other command options seem to get stuck on the top left hand side of my HDTV's screen. It's weird in the sense that normal playback is never affected and it goes away right away after I press another command so it hasn't bothered me at all. I've had the latest firmware for a while and this just started occurring recently so I'll be keeping a close eye out on it in case it develops into something else.

'Just wondering if anyone's experienced the same thing....
post #4859 of 5287 Old 08-09-2014, 06:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I have a weird minor glitch with my 103D. Recently every time I play a blu ray disc- the play, ffwd, rewind, pause and other command options seem to get stuck on the top left hand side of my HDTV's screen. It's weird in the sense that normal playback is never affected and it goes away right away after I press another command so it hasn't bothered me at all. I've had the latest firmware for a while and this just started occurring recently so I'll be keeping a close eye out on it in case it develops into something else.

'Just wondering if anyone's experienced the same thing....
The visibility of the on-screen playback icons is controlled by Setup > Video Setup > Display Options > OSD Mode. Check how you have that set now, and see the Manual for explanation of the choices.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #4860 of 5287 Old 08-09-2014, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with Charter on demand

I picked up a 103D about 4 months ago and have been very happy with it. Until very recently I fed a Direct TV signal into the back HDMI port and used the split A/V option and it generally worked well. I have noticed, however, the oppo seems very sensitive to many of the issues with HDMI handshaking. Until I got the oppo I used a low cost Pana blu ray player with Direct TV and ran everything through my AVR to the TV and never thought about cable lengths because everything just worked. When I installed the oppo I used all of the same cables and every once in a while the picture would freeze or go black causing me to have to shut everything off and then power back up to "fix" it for a while. I searched this forum and discovered that HDMI cables need to be 6 feet, no more and no less. I replaced the cables with 6 footers and sure enough that issue went away.

Yesterday, I switched TV providers from Direct TV to Charter. The box is their HD Dual Tuner DVR DCX3501-M and for the most part everything works fine. I am having one issue I could use some help with though. Most of the time when I switch from a regular channel to on demand the on demand screen comes up and a couple of seconds later the display goes black and the oppo is locked up. I have to shut it off and turn it back on to get it to work again. This happens about 9/10 times. Every once in a while on demand works fine but mostly it locks up. If I run the HDMI cable directly from the Charter box to the TV bypassing the oppo on demand works every time with no issues.

I am using the "0515" firmware.

Any thoughts on how to get on demand working better would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marty
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page