post #4861 of 5084 Old 08-09-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgagneur1 View Post
I searched this forum and discovered that HDMI cables need to be 6 feet, no more and no less. I replaced the cables with 6 footers and sure enough that issue went away.
Marty
Marty what you say about 6' passive HDMI cables is slightly wrong. The device receiving a HDMI signal will apply correction to the signal based on a 6' length of HDMI cable. That's ideal but in no way required.

Untold numbers of folks use passive HDMI cables of shorter and longer lengths without issues.

Something in your HDMI setup was operating on the fringe. Changing one cable might have worked for you, but your solution was very effective.
mhobart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5084 Old 08-09-2014, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Darbee and 37" LCD TV

Hello everyone.

I am thinking of getting the Oppo 103 or 103D and wonder if the Darbee Edition is worth having on a smaller LCD TV. I have a 37" Sharp Aquos 1920 x 1080. It is about 7 years old. The salesman at Oppo said that 32" was too small to benefit, that Darbee comes into its own at 44" or larger. He was noncommittal about 37". Is anyone here using a 103 Darbee Edition on a 37" LCD? Is it worth the extra cost?

Jim
post #4863 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1421 View Post
I am thinking of getting the Oppo 103 or 103D and ... I have a 37" Sharp Aquos 1920 x 1080. It is about 7 years old. Is ... a 103 Darbee Edition on a 37" LCD ... worth the extra cost?
Oppos are built to last, so it's probably worth the extra $100, especially if a bigger TV will replace your 7 year old 37" Sharp in the next couple of years.
adrock7309 likes this.

Every once in a while, completely inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #4864 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Should I expect to do 4K upscaling in the 103/103D or in my 4K TV (LG UB9300/9500)

I am awaiting delivery of an LG 65UB9300 (Costco variant on the UB9500, a 65" 4K). IPS panel and "Tru-4K Engine Pro" upscaling.

I don't have a BD player yet but considering the 103 or 103D.

I assume that if I upscale on the 103/103D, the TV sees 4K and doesn't upscale, and vice versa.

Is the Oppo upscaling better than what is in the LG? (Does anybody know that based on data or experience? I assume the Oppo is better because of the market dynamics, but maybe LG has done a good job as well...)

If the Oppo upscaling isn't appreciably better, I might decide to go for a less capable BD player and rely on the TV (and also avoid having to run all HDMI input through the Oppo).
post #4865 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danspot View Post
I am awaiting delivery of an LG 65UB9300 (Costco variant on the UB9500, a 65" 4K). IPS panel and "Tru-4K Engine Pro" upscaling.

Is the Oppo upscaling better than what is in the LG? (Does anybody know that based on data or experience? I assume the Oppo is better because of the market dynamics, but maybe LG has done a good job as well...)

If the Oppo upscaling isn't appreciably better, I might decide to go for a less capable BD player and rely on the TV (and also avoid having to run all HDMI input through the Oppo).
This is best asked in the appropriate forum for that display. Some current 4K displays are pretty bad at processing 4K input, and actually produce a better image with 1080p input. Only way to know is to consult owners of that display or try it yourself and see which looks better. It could go either way. The Oppo does all image processing at 1080, and scaling to 4K is the last step. Your TV may well do something similar.
post #4866 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Hello everyone.

I am thinking of getting the Oppo 103 or 103D and wonder if the Darbee Edition is worth having on a smaller LCD TV. I have a 37" Sharp Aquos 1920 x 1080. It is about 7 years old. The salesman at Oppo said that 32" was too small to benefit, that Darbee comes into its own at 44" or larger. He was noncommittal about 37". Is anyone here using a 103 Darbee Edition on a 37" LCD? Is it worth the extra cost?

Jim
Nothing I've read suggests that Darbee used correctly will have much value on a small screen. You don't say what OPPO features are attractive to you.That's probably a more important area for you to check out.
post #4867 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
Nothing I've read suggests that Darbee used correctly will have much value on a small screen. You don't say what OPPO features are attractive to you.That's probably a more important area for you to check out.
Thanks for your reply, htwaits. So far no one with a 37" LCD has replied here or elsewhere that Darbee works well for them, so I take that as a no. I am going to assume that my TV is good for another 5 years at least.

What has attracted me to Oppo is their reputation for build quality, reliability and service. Increasing difficulties with a Panasonic DMP-BD85 have taken up too much of my time trying to make it play Blu ray disks. I want something that will work for more than 3 years. My source for DVDs and Blu ray disks is exclusively via Netflix, no purchased disks. I want a player that can handle the less than pristine disks that Netflix rents out and I think that Oppo makes it. Am I right about that?

3D and 4K is not important to me. I do hear that the Oppo doubles as a fine CD player, something I don't have in my current setup. Other disk formats like SACD may be of future interest.

My other option would be to go cheap, say the LG BP 540, and count on replacing it every 2 years. I could buy five of those for the price of one Oppo, but then I would have the biannual hassle of troubleshooting and then replacing it. I prefer owning stuff that lasts and is worth repairing.

If you need to know, my 37" Sharp is fed by an Onkyo PR-SC886. Speakers are all Polk Audio: SDA-CRS+ front, Monitor 7 rear, CS400I center and PSW10 sub. Power amp is a NAD T955.

Any comments you have will be appreciated.

Jim
post #4868 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What has attracted me to Oppo is their reputation for build quality, reliability and service. Increasing difficulties with a Panasonic DMP-BD85 have taken up too much of my time trying to make it play Blu ray disks. I want something that will work for more than 3 years. My source for DVDs and Blu ray disks is exclusively via Netflix, no purchased disks. I want a player that can handle the less than pristine disks that Netflix rents out and I think that Oppo makes it. Am I right about that?
For exclusively spinning shiny discs, some would consider an Oppo as overkill. As much as anything what attracts Oppo buyers is the universal support for media files, SACD/DVD-A, network access and so on. If those things have no value to you then you should at least consider a cheaper player. But its really up to you, and there's nothing wrong with simply wanting an Oppo for the build quality and superb support.
scorpion901 likes this.
post #4869 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I am going to assume that my TV is good for another 5 years at least.
Is immersion big on your list for watching movies? If you're happy with a 37" screen then maybe not. That's fine, but the vast majority of OPPO owners are into bigger screens. There are also OPPO owners who are primarily into music rather than video.

Quote:
What has attracted me to Oppo is their reputation for build quality, reliability and service.
OPPO is outstanding in these areas, and for some folks that's reason enough.

Quote:
Increasing difficulties with a Panasonic DMP-BD85 have taken up too much of my time trying to make it play Blu ray disks.
A big part of Blu-ray problems come from poor coding practices at the studio. OPPO players can be a victim as well as cheaper players. HDMI technology, and studio code provide a lot of debugging problems to keep us occupied.

Quote:
I want something that will work for more than 3 years. My source for DVDs and Blu ray disks is exclusively via Netflix, no purchased disks.
I rent disks from Netflix too. I use a soft micro fiber cloth to wipe them before playing. Occasionally I've washed them with a mild detergent in warm water. I don't know that OPPO is any better with dirty or scratched disks than other players. Sometimes a player's optical drive laser needs a gentle cleaning depending on your environment.

Quote:
I want a player that can handle the less than pristine disks that Netflix rents out and I think that Oppo makes it. Am I right about that?
I can't say that OPPO players are better in that regard.

Quote:
Other disk formats like SACD may be of future interest.
There haven't been many new releases in SACD for a while. In general, it's a collector's area of interest. There are owners who have OPPO players just for their SACD collections.

Quote:
My other option would be to go cheap, say the LG BP 540, and count on replacing it every 2 years. I could buy five of those for the price of one Oppo, but then I would have the biannual hassle of troubleshooting and then replacing it.
I frequently recommend Sony and Panasonic players during their model year end sales. This year you could get the top of the Sony consumer line marked down from $140 to around $80.

I don't have any data to back it up, but I do know that movie studios use the Sony PS3 to verify software in new releases. What I don't know for sure is that the Sony testing advantage carries over to the Sony Blu-ray players.

Quote:
I prefer owning stuff that lasts and is worth repairing.
OPPO players are that and repair prices so far have been very reasonable.

Good luck on your choice.
mhobart likes this.
post #4870 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, htwaits. So far no one with a 37" LCD has replied here or elsewhere that Darbee works well for them, so I take that as a no. I am going to assume that my TV is good for another 5 years at least.

3D and 4K is not important to me. I do hear that the Oppo doubles as a fine CD player, something I don't have in my current setup. Other disk formats like SACD may be of future interest.

My other option would be to go cheap, say the LG BP 540, and count on replacing it every 2 years. I could buy five of those for the price of one Oppo, but then I would have the biannual hassle of troubleshooting and then replacing it. I prefer owning stuff that lasts and is worth repairing.

If you need to know, my 37" Sharp is fed by an Onkyo PR-SC886. Speakers are all Polk Audio: SDA-CRS+ front, Monitor 7 rear, CS400I center and PSW10 sub. Power amp is a NAD T955.

Any comments you have will be appreciated.

Jim
I had issues with other players as well. got the oppo 93 and never looked back.. go for it.

Jacob
mhobart likes this.
post #4871 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I recently purchased a Samsung Plasma, PN60F8500 and now a BDP-103D and are connected through my HK AVR3600 (and also running a Comcast DVR). I am wondering how to set the AVR output from the Oppo, should I set it to match the input (1080P) or bypass?

Also a general question, which device can do the 24 hz to ?? hz conversion. More importantly, where do I WANT it to do the conversion to occur and how to I set my devices to accomplish it. The AVR3600 has the fajouda chip which is supposed to be very good but I am unclear if this only for scaling (say 480-1080) or is it also doing the 24 hz to ?? hz conversion. This TV is 600 hz but also has "Cinema Smooth Plus" for converting 24p but such smoothing may not be the best. What can the Oppo doing with the output of the 24 hz content

Thanks
post #4872 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.muller View Post
I recently purchased a Samsung Plasma, PN60F8500 and now a BDP-103D and are connected through my HK AVR3600 (and also running a Comcast DVR). I am wondering how to set the AVR output from the Oppo, should I set it to match the input (1080P) or bypass?
Use "bypass" in your AVR and "native" in your DVR if you want the OPPO to do your video processing.
post #4873 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
There haven't been many new releases in SACD for a while. In general, it's a collector's area of interest. There are owners who have OPPO players just for their SACD collections.
In the interest of accuracy, there are a couple dozen SACD releases every week.

http://www.sa-cd.net/recent
mhobart likes this.
post #4874 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 09:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
In the interest of accuracy, there are a couple dozen SACD releases every week.

http://www.sa-cd.net/recent
Thanks. Are there many more classical releases than other categories?
post #4875 of 5084 Old 08-10-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Good luck on your choice.
My thanks to everyone who replied, especially you, htwaits. Your point by point reply clarified a lot of issues. I believe I will start a new thread, "Help me choose a shiny disk player", (thanks rdgrimes) and broaden the list of models for consideration. I may still get the 103 if none other can match quality in the features that are important to me.

Jim
post #4876 of 5084 Old 08-11-2014, 12:40 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
My thanks to everyone who replied, especially you, htwaits. Your point by point reply clarified a lot of issues. I believe I will start a new thread, "Help me choose a shiny disk player", (thanks rdgrimes) and broaden the list of models for consideration. I may still get the 103 if none other can match quality in the features that are important to me.

Jim
I think that there is already a thread where people discuss just that topic.
post #4877 of 5084 Old 08-11-2014, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Thanks. Are there many more classical releases than other categories?
That list is pretty representative. I've found that the genres are pretty much:

1. Classical (the overwhelming presence)
  2. Jazz (a good amount, older jazz)
  3. Classic rock
  4. A minute amount of Reggae, international music
  5. Some very good disks of R&B, a minor percentage - as an example, only one Aretha Franklin, but an excellent one.
  6. No rap, current pop or Jazz.

Since my tastes run to R&B, Jazz, Rap / Regaton, some current singers ( April Smith and Esperanza Spalding come to mind), those not covered by any current releases.

The thing is that the music that is available is a joy to listen to. My copy of Kind of Blue and Santana's Abraxas gets massive play as well as several Diana Krall discs.

So I do wish more had been released, especially since this is a great way to get multi channel music. The classical music is great (just listened to La Boheme ), but there is a lack of breadth in releases.

I don't know if it's because people are just not buying discs anymore (as my daughters chucklingly tell me) or that these genres are less saleable than classical.

So I also go to lossless download sites like HDTracks, which have a much larger selection, generally lower prices and still lossless (although in most cases, two channel only).

The 103D is great for playing my mostly FLAC collection, so I am pretty happy with this strategy; my music playing is a mix of SACD / DVD-A / CD / FLAC and MP3 (the latter two from a NAS), all through my very tired 103D.

Last edited by hernanu; 08-11-2014 at 07:10 AM.
post #4878 of 5084 Old 08-11-2014, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Use "bypass" in your AVR and "native" in your DVR if you want the OPPO to do your video processing.
Thanks! Maybe I need to post this in the TV forum but I assume the 24 hz to 48/96/600 hz? conversion happens in the PN60F8500 Samsung Plasma unless instead I use the Cinema Smooth (Anti-Judder) to display the 24 hz?
post #4879 of 5084 Old 08-11-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I think that there is already a thread where people discuss just that topic.
I just ordered a refurbished BDP-103 (non Darbee), $433 including shipping. My decision was mostly based on build quality and service reputation. I spent way too much time trying to figure out my Panny's problems, and then deciding on a replacement. I hope I won't have to do it again for a good long time. The 103 also strikes me as such a versatile device that I will not be caught short with just about any format.

Thanks for all your help.

Jim
post #4880 of 5084 Old 08-11-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
That list is pretty representative. I've found that the genres are pretty much:

1. Classical (the overwhelming presence)
  2. Jazz (a good amount, older jazz)
  3. Classic rock
  4. A minute amount of Reggae, international music
  5. Some very good disks of R&B, a minor percentage - as an example, only one Aretha Franklin, but an excellent one.
  6. No rap, current pop or Jazz.

Thanks for all the information. I've been buying some Opera on Blu-ray which can be outstanding. I spend most of my time that could be dedicated to music reading and posting at AVS.
post #4881 of 5084 Old 08-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I just ordered a refurbished BDP-103 (non Darbee), $433 including shipping. My decision was mostly based on build quality and service reputation. I spent way too much time trying to figure out my Panny's problems, and then deciding on a replacement. I hope I won't have to do it again for a good long time. The 103 also strikes me as such a versatile device that I will not be caught short with just about any format.

Thanks for all your help.

Jim

I was just about to suggest that you order a refurbished Oppo. But thought I'd finish reading all the post in case someone mentioned it first. Glad the hear that you ordered the 103, I know you'll love it and it will last you a long time. I bought the original Oppo blu ray player, the BDP-83 around August 2009 and it still works great. Probably have watched 450 - 500 movies on it. But had the "upgrade itch" and bought a refurbished 103D ( Darbee ) and love it. If you did not know that the unit was refurbished, you would never know. You'll see what I mean when you open the box and unpack it. Let us know what you think, and have fun with your new purchase.

Last edited by ferrari fan; 08-11-2014 at 03:56 PM.
post #4882 of 5084 Old 08-12-2014, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Native on or off? D* HR44...

For example, if Native Mode is ON and a program is being broadcast in 480p, your High-Definition Receiver prompts the TV to show it in that same format. If the next program changes to 1080i, the Receiver tells the TV to change to that format. Native Mode slows down the system’s response time to channel changes since the Receiver and TV must adjust the picture resolution at every channel change. Because of this, the default setting is OFF. When Native Mode is OFF, your Receiver will display the program at the highest resolution set on the TV Resolutions screen.
post #4883 of 5084 Old 08-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post

For example, if Native Mode is ON and a program is being broadcast in 480p, your High-Definition Receiver prompts the TV to show it in that same format. If the next program changes to 1080i, the Receiver tells the TV to change to that format. Native Mode slows down the system’s response time to channel changes since the Receiver and TV must adjust the picture resolution at every channel change. Because of this, the default setting is OFF. When Native Mode is OFF, your Receiver will display the program at the highest resolution set on the TV Resolutions screen.

Actually, your tv will always view a broadcast in its native resolution, which is more than likely 1080p, regardless of what resolution any piece of equipment is sending it. In other words, your tv will upscale and/or de-interlace a video signal to its native (i.e. 1080p) resolution.

Last edited by DanF8500; 08-12-2014 at 09:51 AM.
post #4884 of 5084 Old 08-12-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You want Native on. This tells the cable / sat box not to change its input signal to some other resolution (480p to 1080i, for example). So in your example, the 480p in is output as 480p.

That signal would be fed to the HDMI input of the 103D, which would handle the upscaling of the 480p signal to 1080p.

The AVR, set to bypass, would not touch the signal too much (hopefully), sending it to the display. The display sees an incoming 1080p signal and realizes it does not need to do an upscaling function, since it's already coming in at its highest resolution (the resolution set in the display).

So the cable box has no extra work to do, the AVR has no extra work to do and the display has no extra work to do.

Assuming the display is tied in this way, I don't see where the extra work is coming in.
post #4885 of 5084 Old 08-12-2014, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Thanks, guys.
post #4886 of 5084 Old 08-12-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
That signal would be fed to the HDMI input of the 103D, which would handle the upscaling of the 480p signal to 1080p.
Quote:
Thanks, guys.
I don't have to explain further because it's already been done by hernanu.
post #4887 of 5084 Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 PM

Liked: 14
Power

Given that it seems to matter with some sources the order in which components are turned on, should there be a problem leaving the 103D on all the time?
post #4888 of 5084 Old 08-12-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anybody have their player freeze?

Mines done it during a blu ray 3 times since May.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #4889 of 5084 Old 08-12-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
Anybody have their player freeze?

Mines done it during a blu ray 3 times since May.
No, got it in April (tax return) and no freezing. Was it on any particular titles?
post #4890 of 5084 Old 08-12-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread

No random.
Happens in like 1 out of 50 movies.

2/3% about.

How many movies have you watched about on it?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.

Last edited by Fanboyz; 08-12-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page