AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnelson Young View Post
Power

Given that it seems to matter with some sources the order in which components are turned on, should there be a problem leaving the 103D on all the time?
Doubtful that it would make much difference, aside form the electric bill being more than if it was on standby when not in use.
Some would say that it could cause pre-mature life expectancy by overusing the components inside,
but Oppo players are known for being very robust and basically being a player for life.
The player is more likely to be outdated by new technology before it ever stops working.
On the rare occasion that it does need repaired, Oppo's repair costs are known for being very reasonable.
Anyway, my opinion is that it should be fine to leave it on 24/7 if that is what you want to do.
Just make sure there is plenty of ventilation around the unit so it does not get any warmer than it would if sitting out in the open.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 6096 Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
No random.
Happens in like 1 out of 50 movies.

2/3% about.

How many movies have you watched about on it?
Disk? Probably about fifty blurays, about ten DVDs. Also watch a lot of MKVs and it's continually in use with music (SACD's, DVD-A's, FLAC and MP3's).

So all disk (video and music) I'd say about 100 or more. Video I think about 60.
post #4893 of 6096 Old 08-12-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
disks yeah, blu rays.

it'll glitch once every 50 60 movies, or 6 weeks.

2.7% of the time, and not repeatable.

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #4894 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 01:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
disks yeah, blu rays.

it'll glitch once every 50 60 movies, or 6 weeks.

2.7% of the time, and not repeatable.
When you say the problem isn't repeatable, do you mean that you restart the player and have no problem playing the disc the second time through from the beginning?

Last edited by htwaits; 08-13-2014 at 01:04 AM.
post #4895 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

yep.

Best as I can tell since I use my thing for blu ray's daily, I just discovered the error rate of the machine.

I watch like 7-9 movies a week.

That makes me awesome.
post #4896 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks
post #4897 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Anybody have their player freeze?

Mines done it during a blu ray 3 times since May.
mine has frozen once since i have had it. however, i am running custom firmware that allows iso playback so it is quite possible it was related to that. about 200-300 movies played, but mostly iso files from attached hard drives..outstanding machine...
thduke likes this.
post #4898 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Setup question:

Since I'm running the 103D through my AVR, which has had the room correction/speaker settings run, so I need to do anything in the Oppo's "Speaker Configuration" section? Should I leave everything as-is, or make it match what my receiver is set to? (Ex: front speakers - small, crossover freq. 80hz, etc...)

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #4899 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
Setup question:

Since I'm running the 103D through my AVR, which has had the room correction/speaker settings run, so I need to do anything in the Oppo's "Speaker Configuration" section? Should I leave everything as-is, or make it match what my receiver is set to? (Ex: front speakers - small, crossover freq. 80hz, etc...)
If you're using an HDMI connection to your AVR, then no, since the 103D speaker settings only apply to analog connections from the 103D to your AVR.

If you're using analog connections from the 103D to your AVR, then yes, you need to set those.
post #4900 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
If you're using an HDMI connection to your AVR, then no, since the 103D speaker settings only apply to analog connections from the 103D to your AVR.

If you're using analog connections from the 103D to your AVR, then yes, you need to set those.
Perfect, thanks. That's what I thought but wanted to confirm.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #4901 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 06:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 1038
Just to be clear. If your AVR is doing the work for Crossover processing, volume trims, and speaker distance adjustment, then you do not want to ALSO do that in the OPPO.

No worries if using HDMI, since the OPPO doesn't process HDMI that way. But for multi-channel Analog set the OPPO speakers to LARGE, equ-distant (any distance), and 0dB volume trim.
--Bob
post #4902 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Just to be clear. If your AVR is doing the work for Crossover processing, volume trims, and speaker distance adjustment, then you do not want to ALSO do that in the OPPO.

No worries if using HDMI, since the OPPO doesn't process HDMI that way. But for multi-channel Analog set the OPPO speakers to LARGE, equ-distant (any distance), and 0dB volume trim.
--Bob
Thanks. I'm only using HDMI, so no worries.

post #4903 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I am not by any means a computer person, so please reply as if you are talking to a geezer. I have looked at the 103D manual, but my computer ignorance is keeping me from understanding what to do.

I have been ripping my cd collection to J River MC19. I have been ripping to Apple lossless so that I can easily share with iTunes for use with my nano at work formatted to mp3 to conserve space which is fine for the playback systems at work which are boom-boxes. But the ultimate goal is to be able to play my ripped cd's thru the 103D losslessly (is that a word?).

I assume the correct connection would be from my laptop to the oppo with a USB cable, so I connected my computer to the front usb port on the oppo. Then I pressed 'input' button on the oppo expecting the usb input to be listed, but it isn't. Bummer.

So if there is anyone here that is using MC19 with the 103D, could you please help me. I'm sure its probably something simple that needs to be set up in the oppo or MC19, but I'm lost.
Feel free to pm me.

Thanks,
Tom

"You can have my remote when you pry it from my cold dead fingers" tngiloy
Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #4904 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I am not by any means a computer person, so please reply as if you are talking to a geezer. I have looked at the 103D manual, but my computer ignorance is keeping me from understanding what to do.

I have been ripping my cd collection to J River MC19. I have been ripping to Apple lossless so that I can easily share with iTunes for use with my nano at work formatted to mp3 to conserve space which is fine for the playback systems at work which are boom-boxes. But the ultimate goal is to be able to play my ripped cd's thru the 103D losslessly (is that a word?).

I assume the correct connection would be from my laptop to the oppo with a USB cable, so I connected my computer to the front usb port on the oppo. Then I pressed 'input' button on the oppo expecting the usb input to be listed, but it isn't. Bummer.

So if there is anyone here that is using MC19 with the 103D, could you please help me. I'm sure its probably something simple that needs to be set up in the oppo or MC19, but I'm lost.
Feel free to pm me.

Thanks,
Tom
You should find the J River server among the network connections, rather than connected via the USB.
post #4905 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
You should find the J River server among the network connections, rather than connected via the USB.

I guess I wasn't clear enough on being a computer moron. Network connection where?? So I shouldn't use a usb cable??

Maybe I should just borrow a neighbor kid for a while.

Anthem D2v;Anthem A5;Golden Ear Aon3,SuperCenter XL,SuperSat3;SVS SB13 Plus x 2;Oppo BDP-103D;Ayre CX-7eMP;Panasonic plasma; Dish Hopper;PS Audio Power Plant 5- Subject to change without prior notification.
post #4906 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
I guess I wasn't clear enough on being a computer moron. Network connection where?? So I shouldn't use a usb cable??

Maybe I should just borrow a neighbor kid for a while.
Take a look in the Oppo 103D manual for the section called "In Home Media Sharing" p. 41 in the latest version, possibly slightly different paging in earlier versions.

The USB port would be used if you had the files on physical external USB disk, but J River is a media server rather than a physical disk. It never hurts to ask questions, whether here or with a neighbor who knows things.
tngiloy likes this.
post #4907 of 6096 Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
Take a look in the Oppo 103D manual for the section called "In Home Media Sharing" p. 41 in the latest version, possibly slightly different paging in earlier versions.

The USB port would be used if you had the files on physical external USB disk, but J River is a media server rather than a physical disk. It never hurts to ask questions, whether here or with a neighbor who knows things.

Thanks for your help.
I think I have it now. I wouldn't have imagined that I would not need to hard wire the connection.
What will you kids think of next ?

Tom
RayWK likes this.

post #4908 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Ordered a refurb and it will be here next week. Did all my harmony programming already

I want to confirm a few things

1) Darbee processing works on the internal streaming apps, the two HDMI inputs and the ROKU Stick, but from what I understand you can only bring up the darbee menu when on the home screen or using a disc. If using an HDMI input or built in streaming app or ROKU stick, darbee is set to whatever it is and is ON, but you can't bring up the darbee menu. Is that correct?

2) If letting the Oppo decode lossless TrueHD and DTS Master Audio and passing to the AVR as LPCM, you can leave secondary audio ON with no loss of quality (unlike if you let it pass as bitstream) Is that correct?

3) Is anyone using the deep color settings, I know there is no content using it, but there is some debate as to whether it is of any benefit to higher internal bit-rate processing. Does deep color trip up the darbee as it does with the external darbee box?

4) Anyone with a JVC 4910 or similar know what the JVC processes the coloring sampling at (4:2:2 or 4:4:4)?
post #4909 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Ordered a refurb and it will be here next week. Did all my harmony programming already

1) Darbee processing works on the internal streaming apps, the two HDMI inputs and the ROKU Stick, but from what I understand you can only bring up the darbee menu when on the home screen or using a disc. If using an HDMI input or built in streaming app or ROKU stick, darbee is set to whatever it is and is ON, but you can't bring up the darbee menu. Is that correct?

2) If letting the Oppo decode lossless TrueHD and DTS Master Audio and passing to the AVR as LPCM, you can leave secondary audio ON with no loss of quality (unlike if you let it pass as bitstream) Is that correct?

3) Is anyone using the deep color settings, I know there is no content using it, but there is some debate as to whether it is of any benefit to higher internal bit-rate processing. Does deep color trip up the darbee as it does with the external darbee box?

4) Anyone with a JVC 4910 or similar know what the JVC processes the coloring sampling at (4:2:2 or 4:4:4)?
post #4910 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post

1) Getting to the menus -- e.g., the Darbee controls -- is only blocked when using the built-in Internet apps on the OPPO such as Netflix. Those seize control of the User Interface and don't provide a way to get to the settings menus. For those, set your desired Darbee stuff before launching the Internet app, and Darbee will function according to those settings while using the app. You CAN get to the menus to, for example, adjust Darbee, when using the ROKU Streaming Stick or when playing media files from an attached hard drive or over your house network. You can easily prove to yourself that Darbee is functioning for any given viewing use by enabling its "Demo" mode and setting a ridiculously high Darbee percentage value. The portion of the screen to the left of the Demo divider line is the Darbee processed portion.

2) Yes.

3) Enabling Deep Color output does not trip up the Darbee processing in the OPPO. Whether there's any value in enabling Deep Color can only be determined by trying it with your hardware. If everything is working correctly, the effect of enabling Deep Color should be subtle -- even vanishingly so. However bugs (typically in Displays) may cause them to prefer one Deep Color setting over another. Since we are talking bugs, there's no logic to it. You just have to try it and see. If you can *NOT* spot any improvement with Deep Color enabled you should turn it OFF, as that puts less bandwidth on the HDMI cable and reduces the chance of HDMI handshake issues.

4) I don't have an answer for you on the JVC. Try the Owner's thread here for that model.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4911 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
1) Getting to the menus -- e.g., the Darbee controls -- is only blocked when using the built-in Internet apps on the OPPO such as Netflix. Those seize control of the User Interface and don't provide a way to get to the settings menus. For those, set your desired Darbee stuff before launching the Internet app, and Darbee will function according to those settings while using the app. You CAN get to the menus to, for example, adjust Darbee, when using the ROKU Streaming Stick or when playing media files from an attached hard drive or over your house network. You can easily prove to yourself that Darbee is functioning for any given viewing use by enabling its "Demo" mode and setting a ridiculously high Darbee percentage value. The portion of the screen to the left of the Demo divider line is the Darbee processed portion.

2) Yes.

3) Enabling Deep Color output does not trip up the Darbee processing in the OPPO. Whether there's any value in enabling Deep Color can only be determined by trying it with your hardware. If everything is working correctly, the effect of enabling Deep Color should be subtle -- even vanishingly so. However bugs (typically in Displays) may cause them to prefer one Deep Color setting over another. Since we are talking bugs, there's no logic to it. You just have to try it and see. If you can *NOT* spot any improvement with Deep Color enabled you should turn it OFF, as that puts less bandwidth on the HDMI cable and reduces the chance of HDMI handshake issues.

4) I don't have an answer for you on the JVC. Try the Owner's thread here for that model.
--Bob

Awesome! Thank you!

on #2 , does the same apply for a cable box using an HDMI input on the Oppo....that the Darbee menus also work there as well? Basically, it sounds like only the built in streaming apps disable the menu.
post #4912 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Awesome! Thank you!

on #2 , does the same apply for a cable box using an HDMI input on the Oppo....that the Darbee menus also work there as well? Basically, it sounds like only the built in streaming apps disable the menu.
ONLY the built in streaming apps disable access to the player menus.
When using external sources through the HDMI inputs, all menus are accessible.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4913 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

One last question. Can the 103D be prevented from trying to pass xvColor on a "Mastered in 4K disc"?
post #4914 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The 103D does not output xv.YCC color space. No special setting needed.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4915 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Does XVYcc even really exist?

That makes me awesome.
post #4916 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Does XVYcc even really exist?
Yes. Sony uses it as part of their Triluminos technology. However, AFAIK, the only content that uses it are the "Mastered in 4K" Blu-Ray discs from Sony Pictures (and possibly some of the 4K content accessed using Sony's 4K media player). To actually take advantage of the expanded color information on these discs, you must play them using a Sony BD player and a Sony TV/projector, both of which must sport the Triluminos logo. See the following link for more info...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...e-a-difference
post #4917 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Yes. Sony uses it as part of their Triluminos technology. However, AFAIK, the only content that uses it are the "Mastered in 4K" Blu-Ray discs from Sony Pictures (and possibly some of the 4K content accessed using Sony's 4K media player). To actually take advantage of the expanded color information on these discs, you must play them using a Sony BD player and a Sony TV/projector, both of which must sport the Triluminos logo. See the following link for more info...

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...e-a-difference
The PS3 will pass xvColor to my JVC 4910 when superwhite is set to on. When it does this, the brightness and contrast settings are now incorrect. I suspect it is remapping levels. Black becomes VERY bright gray and the image is totally washed out. Disabling superwhite resolves this, but if you want to pass BTB or WTW, you need it ON to do so. It's only a handful of titles, but sometimes they are not clearly marked. I noticed this with "Heaven is for Real. The Sony logo screen was bright gray and it took me a while to figure what was going on...then I saw the JVC was getting xvColor instead of YUV.

So for me, I'm glad the Oppo doesn't even pass it.

Last edited by curlyjive; 08-14-2014 at 01:25 PM.
post #4918 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of levels, does the Oppo only pass BTB and WTW in RGB PC mode? Can it do so in 4:2:2 and 4:4:4. In the JVC forum they recommend outputting 4:2:2. The Oppo manual seems to indicate this will send video levels 16-235 only with no BTB and WTW. Is that correct?
post #4919 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 01:49 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Speaking of levels, does the Oppo only pass BTB and WTW in RGB PC mode? Can it do so in 4:2:2 and 4:4:4. In the JVC forum they recommend outputting 4:2:2. The Oppo manual seems to indicate this will send video levels 16-235 only with no BTB and WTW. Is that correct?
No. The OPPO passes Blacker Than Black and Peak White pixel values in all three of RGB Video Level, YCbCr 4:4:4, and YCbCr 4:2:2, presuming you have the Picture Adjustment settings in the OPPO at their Factory Default (0) values.

By definition, RGB PC Level excludes those ranges.
--Bob
post #4920 of 6096 Old 08-14-2014, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayNice View Post
Just buy good quality cheap HDMI cables and call it good.
Any recommendations for the typical "6 ft. HDMI" cable that Oppo users have between their components? I know Redmere are unidirectional and not ideal, but I purchased a 27 gbps cable that now runs from my current BD player to my TV. I'm a little worried that this cable might not work.

I'm going to go Motorola STB >> Oppo 103D > Samsung HU8550 (HDMI1 FOR video) > Onkyo TX-SR705 (HMDI2 for audio). Will HDMI 1.4 cables be able to connect to 1.3v components?

I'm on vacation now with my Oppo delivered to my house waiting to be set up. The one time I'd rather be home than on vacation!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page