Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 165 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4921 of 7601 Old 08-14-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMember View Post
I know Redmere are unidirectional and not ideal...
Nothing "not ideal" about Redmere as far as I'm concerned. I use them and like them much better than my old cables. There's zero stress on the connection/port, since they don't weigh a ton like the thicker cables. I use the Redmere Ultra Slims from Monoprice.

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=redmere+ultra+slim

They've been great so far. No complaints at all.
Smarty-pants, mhobart and hydrotex like this.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10

Last edited by Gecko85; 08-14-2014 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4922 of 7601 Old 08-14-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
Nothing "not idea" about Redmere as far as I'm concerned. I use them and like them much better than my old cables. There's zero stress on the connection/port, since they don't weigh a ton like the thicker cables. I use the Redmere Ultra Slims from Monoprice.

I'll be playing a lot of 3D BD and doing mostly streaming on the Oppo. Has anyone had any issue with cables rated at 10.2 gbps? Is there ANY difference (speed, integrity) vs. a higher transfer rated cable, like 27 gbps?

If this is the case, I'll try these out.
post #4923 of 7601 Old 08-14-2014, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMember View Post
I'll be playing a lot of 3D BD and doing mostly streaming on the Oppo. Has anyone had any issue with cables rated at 10.2 gbps? Is there ANY difference (speed, integrity) vs. a higher transfer rated cable, like 27 gbps?

If this is the case, I'll try these out.
No problem for me with Netflix streaming and 2D Blu-Ray. Haven't tried 3D, as I'm generally not a fan.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103D, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), B&W CM Centre, Athena Point 5 Mk II (rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
post #4924 of 7601 Old 08-14-2014, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
No. The OPPO passes Blacker Than Black and Peak White pixel values in all three of RGB Video Level, YCbCr 4:4:4, and YCbCr 4:2:2, presuming you have the Picture Adjustment settings in the OPPO at their Factory Default (0) values.

By definition, RGB PC Level excludes those ranges.
--Bob
Ok, that makes more sense.
post #4925 of 7601 Old 08-14-2014, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Sorry if this has been answered before. Does Darbee work with OLED sets?
post #4926 of 7601 Old 08-14-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85 View Post
Nothing "not ideal" about Redmere as far as I'm concerned. I use them and like them much better than my old cables. There's zero stress on the connection/port, since they don't weigh a ton like the thicker cables. I use the Redmere Ultra Slims from Monoprice.

Ditto on all counts.
Last year I suspected there may be a problem with my main 25ft hdmi cable to my projector,
so I decided to just replace it with a Redmere cable.
I also went ahead and bought a few of the shorter Redmere cables and I am glad I did.
At first it freked me out a little about how spaghetti thin they are,
but now that I am used to them, I love them.
Especially about how they put ZERO stress on the connectors, and their light weight and thinner gauge allows the
unused portion of the cable to be spooled up and tied off, keep it from getting into the rats nest of other cables.
mhobart and hydrotex like this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4927 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
URL scheme for OPPO Media control app (IOS)

Hello All
Has anybody found the url scheme to launch the oppo media control app for IOS? I currently use "Roomie Remote" (RR) to control my home theater setup. For those unfamiliar with it, RR allows IP control of a huge array of gear. A nice feature is that it allows you to create a button (activity) which then can launch IOS apps directly from within RR. For example, I have a button programmed to start my apple TV, switch to the proper hdmi port on my TV (Sharp Elite) and then another button launches the apple “remote” app, which then allows me to control the Apple TV over IP.
Currently my “Play BluRay” button switches my input correctly to play my BDP 103-D, but then I must leave the RR app in order to launch the Oppo app. Not really a huge issue, but I’d like to try and control it similar to my apple tv setup.
I have searched extensively, but have not been able to find the url scheme for the oppo media control app anywhere.
thanks in advance for any info/pointers.
post #4928 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
^ Send an email to OPPO Tech Support and they can ask the engineers whether that method of launching the iOS app is supported yet, and if not, to put it on the list.
--Bob
post #4929 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Bob
Thanks for the response. I believe that every IOS app launches using the same process from within IOS. For example: "remote://" launches apple's remote app when you type it into a browser on an IOS device. There are lists on the web that have many hundreds of IOS apps listed, which launch using this syntax and which they refer to as IOS "url schemes". I did try contacting OPPO support with this query, but I felt (based on the response) that they didn't really know what I was asking about. I suppose I can try again, and per your note, ask specifically to route the question to the oppo programmers/engineers that wrote the media control app.
post #4930 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
1) Getting to the menus -- e.g., the Darbee controls -- is only blocked when using the built-in Internet apps on the OPPO such as Netflix. Those seize control of the User Interface and don't provide a way to get to the settings menus. For those, set your desired Darbee stuff before launching the Internet app, and Darbee will function according to those settings while using the app. You CAN get to the menus to, for example, adjust Darbee, when using the ROKU Streaming Stick or when playing media files from an attached hard drive or over your house network. You can easily prove to yourself that Darbee is functioning for any given viewing use by enabling its "Demo" mode and setting a ridiculously high Darbee percentage value. The portion of the screen to the left of the Demo divider line is the Darbee processed portion.

2) Yes.

3) Enabling Deep Color output does not trip up the Darbee processing in the OPPO. Whether there's any value in enabling Deep Color can only be determined by trying it with your hardware. If everything is working correctly, the effect of enabling Deep Color should be subtle -- even vanishingly so. However bugs (typically in Displays) may cause them to prefer one Deep Color setting over another. Since we are talking bugs, there's no logic to it. You just have to try it and see. If you can *NOT* spot any improvement with Deep Color enabled you should turn it OFF, as that puts less bandwidth on the HDMI cable and reduces the chance of HDMI handshake issues.

4) I don't have an answer for you on the JVC. Try the Owner's thread here for that model.
--Bob
I don't have an Oppo player but I might be able to answer #4 . I have the JVC X55R and I recall it has settings for both 4:4:4 and 4:2:2 colorspace. I have mine set to 4:4:4 because my one and only source at the moment (Dune Base 3.0) seems to force 4:4:4 colorspace.
post #4931 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mine has been freezing, too, but not in the middle of playing. Periodically, it won't function -- won't open the tray. It will turn on and off but still not function. A cold restart -- unplugging and plugging -- fixes the problem, but not permanently. Kind of annoying.
post #4932 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjack View Post
Mine has been freezing, too, but not in the middle of playing. Periodically, it won't function -- won't open the tray. It will turn on and off but still not function. A cold restart -- unplugging and plugging -- fixes the problem, but not permanently. Kind of annoying.
Be careful of your power-on sequence with your system.
You want to try and power on your components is succession, but not all at the same time.
If they are all powered on at the same time, the processes for booting up while also sending and receiving handshakes from one another can get confusing,
and that is when anomalies can happen, freezing, signal loss, etc...
Try powering on the display first, then the player, then the subsequent devices before the player path.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #4933 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Things happen rather fast with my Harmony remote that I don't know the exact sequence they turn on. But since I've taken the satellite receiver out of the equation and only power it up once the Oppo has run through its cycle, I no longer have a problem. Being as the satellite is the main source, it would seem to me that if you power that up after the Oppo has done its thing, then "complications" are greatly reduced.
post #4934 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Be careful of your power-on sequence with your system.
You want to try and power on your components is succession, but not all at the same time.
If they are all powered on at the same time, the processes for booting up while also sending and receiving handshakes from one another can get confusing,
and that is when anomalies can happen, freezing, signal loss, etc...
Try powering on the display first, then the player, then the subsequent devices before the player path.
Many thanks for the reply. Actually, I don't power up at the same time. Except for the occasional power outage, my system is always on. My Oppo works fine within it until, periodically, it freezes. Then, after a cold restart, it works fine again for a while. The only outside connections are one HDMI output to the display and Ethernet, which are not turned off, so the Oppo does the handshake in the sequence you suggest.

I took Oppo's offer of a bundled Roku to plug into the MHL port. The interface was not glitch-free, mainly not being able to get out of some apps. I've since discarded it but wonder if that episode planted -- or maybe was a symptom of -- a bug in the system. I don't see a factory reset button anywhere on the Oppo.

Last edited by lbjack; 08-15-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #4935 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjack View Post
Many thanks for the reply. Actually, I don't power up at the same time. Except for the occasional power outage, my system is always on. My Oppo works fine within it until, periodically, it freezes. Then, after a cold restart, it works fine again for a while. The only outside connections are one HDMI output to the display and Ethernet, which are not turned off, so the Oppo does the handshake in the sequence you suggest.

I took Oppo's offer of a bundled Roku to plug into the MHL port. The interface was not glitch-free, mainly not being able to get out of some apps. I've since discarded it but wonder if that episode planted -- or maybe was a symptom of -- a bug in the system. I don't see a factory reset button anywhere on the Oppo.
OK, it could be something else then. Sometimes other things can cause issues, like using 24fps for dvd, using wireless networking instead of hardwired,
having a network router or hub in close proximity of the player, overheating issues if the player is not getting enough space or in an enclosed cabinet
where the internal temp gets too high, among others... some or any of those may or may not be your issue, but checking each one categorically as a troubleshooting technique could find what your issue is.

The MHL Roku stick should not have any inherent problems with the Oppo 10x series player.
However sometimes some issues could arise that are not inherent in the hardware.
Like weak or fluctuating network signal strength, among others.
The Roku stick also has the ability to receive updates that can be automatically received or manually initiated in it's menu.
If it requires an update, that can help with issues, and it also can be reset to default status to help with troubleshooting as well.

I don't think it's possible to get a "bug" from the Roku MHL stick.
The player does also have the option of resetting everything to factory default settings in it setup menu.
Most importantly though, you want to make sure you are using the latest and greatest firmware update for the player from Oppo.
That also can be initiated in the menus of the player.
As long as you have the player connected properly through your home network, you can update the firmware when it's available.
If networking is not available, you can also use a USB flash drive and load the proper file onto the flash drive from Oppo's website,
and then insert that into the player to update the firmware that way.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #4936 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I have a problem.

I turned on my oppo and get no signal out of hdmi 1 tonight. I get out of hdmi 2 though. Is there anything I can do? I did a factory reset in the settings menu through hdmi 2. Would it help to re flash the firmware?

This was all working fine last night.
post #4937 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 254
^ You need to be a little more specific.....No signal, meaning no audio *AND* no video? Where is the Oppo hdmi 1 output going to (tv, avr, etc..)? What input on your 103D is selected?
post #4938 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ You need to be a little more specific.....No signal, meaning no audio *AND* no video? Where is the Oppo hdmi 1 output going to (tv, avr, etc..)? What input on your 103D is selected?
Sorry,

I pulled the oppo out of my console for testing purposes.

I get no signal what so ever out of hdmi 1. I can get sound and picture out of hdmi 2.

The input on the oppo works fine as I can put my cable box in the back input and it passes through the oppo. Blu rays play fine also.

My original setup was.

Cable box into Sewell 3x1 bi directional switch.
From switch output 1 to my Sony 60 LCD.
From switch output 2 to the Oppo rear input.
From the rear of the oppo I had hdmi 1 going to my benq w1070
From the rear of the oppo I had hdmi 2 going to my Denon avr

The oppo was running split av.

But I now have the oppo straight to either display and no signal from hdmi 1.

Also my cable box has now stopped outputting from its hdmi port. This is the second cable box in 3 weeks that has done this. But the first cable box that the hdmi went the oppo and everything else was fine. Comcast exchanged the box 2 weeks ago. Now the only thing that has changed in my setup all before this started is the Sewell hdmi switch.

This is the switch.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe this is what it messing stuff up. But even with it removed now I get nothing from my oppo hdmi 1 or my cable box hdmi out. Strange???
post #4939 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread

^ It certainly does not sound coincidental that 2 cable boxes, in addition to your hdmi 1 output on your 103D now have no signal. Aside from pulling the plug of your 103 from the wall, then plugging it back in and doing a factory reset (which you say you already did), if you don't receive any more explanations/help on this forum, I would definitely contact Oppo Support and explain to them your home setup/switches. They will take care of you.
post #4940 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
@ lbjack: Mine would only freeze once every 6 weeks and then immediately correct itself more or less.

Does yours happen more than that?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #4941 of 7601 Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
^ It certainly does not sound coincidental that 2 cable boxes, in addition to your hdmi 1 output on your 103D now have no signal. Aside from pulling the plug of your 103 from the wall, then plugging it back in and doing a factory reset (which you say you already did), if you don't receive any more explanations/help on this forum, I would definitely contact Oppo Support and explain to them your home setup/switches. They will take care of you.

That's why I'm now thinking it might be the hdmi switch that caused this but know way to be sure.

I have my oppo unplugged right now and going to try again directly to my tv.

Everything else in my system works perfectly still. If I take my cable box into the bedroom as soon as I connect the hdmi it's says it's not hdcp compliant just like the first cable box hdmi. I just looked up the cable box exchange that was on Jul 28th. I got my hdmi switch on July 22 and now today date Aug 15 another cable box and oppo down.
post #4942 of 7601 Old 08-16-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Things happen rather fast with my Harmony remote that I don't know the exact sequence they turn on. But since I've taken the satellite receiver out of the equation and only power it up once the Oppo has run through its cycle, I no longer have a problem. Being as the satellite is the main source, it would seem to me that if you power that up after the Oppo has done its thing, then "complications" are greatly reduced.
With a Harmony remote you can set up the sequence in which things start so that the order of devices turning on can be set. You can also add delays between turn-ons if that is needed to insure proper handshaking.

post #4943 of 7601 Old 08-16-2014, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

After leaving the oppo unplugged all night until now still hdmi does not work. I think it's a done.

With my oppo only being 6 weeks old I wonder if Oppo would allow me to buy an new one and when that arrives send the broken one in.
post #4944 of 7601 Old 08-16-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
After leaving the oppo unplugged all night until now still hdmi does not work. I think it's a done.

With my oppo only being 6 weeks old I wonder if Oppo would allow me to buy an new one and when that arrives send the broken one in.

most likey they will have you send the oppo to get fix. the good news is that they are very quick on fixing it.

Jacob
post #4945 of 7601 Old 08-16-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post
most likey they will have you send the oppo to get fix. the good news is that they are very quick on fixing it.

Jacob
Cool,

I'm thinking of buying a new one then after it gets fixed sell it for $400-$500.
post #4946 of 7601 Old 08-16-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
Cool,

I'm thinking of buying a new one then after it gets fixed sell it for $400-$500.
not patient enough to get it fixed? the fix will be worth it. I have the oppo 93. I had to send it in to get fixed. been working like a champ ever since.

Jacob
post #4947 of 7601 Old 08-17-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Send a message via AIM to lovswr
Question Wireless Dongle problem

I have had my 103D for about 2 months now. i just used the provided wireless dongle, for the first time, about a week ago. With the Dongle in USB slot 1 & using HDMI OUT #1 there is a vertical line, that travels from left to right on my TV screen. It takes approx 1 minute to go all the way to the right, & then starts over on the left. My fix right now is to use HDMI OUT #2 . Has anyone else had this problem & or any possible fixes?

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
PSN = lovswr
XBOX Live = lovswr
post #4948 of 7601 Old 08-17-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does it vanish once something plays?

The proper setting for sharpness is always0.
Also my Oppo BDP-103D is region free.
That makes me awesome.
post #4949 of 7601 Old 08-17-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post
I have had my 103D for about 2 months now. i just used the provided wireless dongle, for the first time, about a week ago. With the Dongle in USB slot 1 & using HDMI OUT #1 there is a vertical line, that travels from left to right on my TV screen. It takes approx 1 minute to go all the way to the right, & then starts over on the left. My fix right now is to use HDMI OUT #2 . Has anyone else had this problem & or any possible fixes?
It sounds like you activated the Darbee Swipe Screen Mode. IIRC, pushing the blue button on the remote will remove it.
post #4950 of 7601 Old 08-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post
Check Setup > Video Setup > Picture Adjustments > HDMI 1 and make sure you didn't accidentally hit the button combo to enable the Swipe Screen Demo Mode for Darbee processing.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page