post #4981 of 5007 Old 08-19-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknRolla View Post
I suspect that this bend over time damaged the cable.
It might also damage the input HDMI port on your projector. Keeping a tight connection might be a problem with an adapter. If you can figure out a way to support the HDMI cable that would be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 5007 Old 08-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
I think I know the answer to this, but...
I'm using the variable analog outputs on the Oppo as my pre-amp. Is there any way to turn off the graphic that appears on the television when adjusting the volume? The visual feedback on the unit itself is adequate and I (and more so, other viewers) find it distracting when watching a movie and the volume display comes on the screen.
Check Setup > Video Setup > Display Options > OSD Mode OFF and see if that also keeps the Volume graphic from appearing.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #4983 of 5007 Old 08-19-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post
It might also damage the input HDMI port on your projector. Keeping a tight connection might be a problem with an adapter. If you can figure out a way to support the HDMI cable that would be good.
I can move the projector forward about half an inch and still have it secure on its shelf. There would still be a bend but it would be less severe.

Here's an example of the problem I'm facing and the least severe bend I can do without an adapter:

post #4984 of 5007 Old 08-19-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 124
^That's not good. That much of a bend is probably why you have the problem you do.
You already know that, but just saying. The adapter is probably a good solution.
What htwaits is saying though, is to just try and make sure that the cable itself is not putting too much pressure on the adapter,
or else that could damage the HDMI socket on the pj.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4985 of 5007 Old 08-19-2014, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
No luck. Thanks for the suggestion though Bob. I should probably just learn to stop adjusting the volume while a movie is playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Check Setup > Video Setup > Display Options > OSD Mode OFF and see if that also keeps the Volume graphic from appearing.
--Bob
post #4986 of 5007 Old 08-19-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^That's not good. That much of a bend is probably why you have the problem you do.
You already know that, but just saying. The adapter is probably a good solution.
What htwaits is saying though, is to just try and make sure that the cable itself is not putting too much pressure on the adapter,
or else that could damage the HDMI socket on the pj.
Just a slight addition. I was trying to say that the current connection could put pressure on the input port. If the adapter is doing a 90 degree angle downward, I would want to support the cable so that it didn't pull the adapter out just enough to loose contact. It doesn't take much and gravity is always on the job. It might, as you say, also damage the input port too.

If a Monoprice Redmere cable works, that could be and easy solution.
mhobart likes this.
post #4987 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Just a slight addition. I was trying to say that the current connection could put pressure on the input port. If the adapter is doing a 90 degree angle downward, I would want to support the cable so that it didn't pull the adapter out just enough to loose contact. It doesn't take much and gravity is always on the job. It might, as you say, also damage the input port too.

If a Monoprice Redmere cable works, that could be and easy solution.
Wow, I had no idea something like Redmere even existed. That could be an easy solution as I think I'd have plenty of room to plug it into the projector without bending the cable. I purchased one and will report back how it works.

Thanks for the heads-up!
post #4988 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Got my 103D refurb today...looks brand new....and will be connecting it tonight.

I'm trying to decide if I should run split mode or not (as my AVR does not support 3D....though I don't use 3D currently).

Do I need to worry about HDMI loops?

If I run split, I’ll be sending audio from HDMI 2 to my AVR and video to a matrix switcher which feeds a projector and a TV. The AVR will have a hdmi cable to the matrix switch as well, however I have been careful to program the activities so that if a display is seeing video from the oppo hdmi port, the other display “Sees” a different input port on the switcher. Since it is a true matrix switch, the AVR input and the oppo input should not be seen by the same display as long as the switch is programmed to so that only one displays sees one input and the other input is routed to the other display, even if it is off.

I am going to run my directv box into the oppo, and I have the roku stick on using the MHL port. So I could also run everything out of HDMI 1 to the AVR and have the AVR pass video only to the matrix switcher, as i currently do. I would lose the ability to pass 3D if I wanted to use it in the future.

Anyone else run a setup like this and have or not have issues with HDMI loops or handshake issues?

Well, I tried this config and it worked fine for my TV, but my PJ was having none of it! Even though the AVR feed to the switch was set to the other display, I'm guessing a loop was being created. I only wanted to use split AV in case I wanted to pass 3D one day, but I don't now. I could have left the AVR feed to the switch disconnected, but if I wanted to add any other devices I would not be able to use HDMI to the AVR. So I guess I'll have to choose which tradeoff to make. I wondered if splitting the audio and video has the potential to introduce lip sync issues, and on the flip side it would be nice to bypass video from the AVR entirely...though the Denon 2808 I have is not supposed to alter anything.

I have a question for anyone running a ROKU stick on their 103/D. Mine is outputting 1080p24 for all netflix and VUDU content. I don't think this correct, as ROKU doesn't do 1080p24. I have 24P set to auto in the oppo settings. The build in netflix and vudu apps run at 108060. It would be great if the stick was actually able to do 1080p24, but I don't think this is the case.

Any idea why this would be happening?
post #4989 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 124
^ The Roku MHL stick DOES do 1080p/24.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #4990 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No kidding?! That's interesting because the Roku 2 XS (supposedly almost the same device) does not...I have one and it only does 1080p60.

The other odd thing is that even older tv shows (first season of breaking bad, some kids cartoon shows) was 1080p24....could be, but I would think those were shot at 60fps?

I did test some other roku channels that did switch to 60fps. So is netflix and vudo forcing everything to 24p? Is it actually outputting an unconverted 24p stream, or is it converting to 24p regardless of whether the content is 24 or 60p?

If this is true, that would be awesome as that has been my biggest gripe with using netflix or vudu for movies (ok, besides the compression)

Last edited by curlyjive; Yesterday at 08:40 AM.
post #4991 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
To clarify:
It will upscale to 720p, and pass 1080p. It will not scale to 1080 from 480 or 720. I'm not sure about the 3rd gen Roku, but that's the case for the RSS and 2nd gen devices.
post #4992 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
To clarify:
It will upscale to 720p, and pass 1080p. It will not scale to 1080 from 480 or 720. I'm not sure about the 3rd gen Roku, but that's the case for the RSS and 2nd gen devices.
I believe you are correct. I have a few roku channels that output at 720, and thats their native resolution. On the ROKU XS I had, it would be scaled to 1080p. The oppo does not appear to scale the MHL roku stick to 1080p either

1080p sources pass as is but 24p is supported, though I wonder if it is forcing 24p on netflix titles that are not 24p. I'd need to know a title that is being streaming at 60p to verify.

I don't care if it scales to 1080p, that's going to happen elsewhere anyway. What I am most psyched about is finally being able to get 24p out of a steaming device.
post #4993 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I believe you are correct. I have a few roku channels that output at 720, and thats their native resolution. On the ROKU XS I had, it would be scaled to 1080p. The oppo does not appear to scale the MHL roku stick to 1080p either

1080p sources pass as is but 24p is supported, though I wonder if it is forcing 24p on netflix titles that are not 24p. I'd need to know a title that is being streaming at 60p to verify.

I don't care if it scales to 1080p, that's going to happen elsewhere anyway. What I am most psyched about is finally being able to get 24p out of a steaming device.
You can use the Info button to see what's coming in from the ROKU Stick and what the OPPO is sending out on the HDMI output(s).

The bolded statement above is incorrect. Unless you have Source Direct selected, the OPPO will scale whatever is coming in from the ROKU Stick to the output Resolution you have chosen.

The ROKU Stick's HD output is limited to 720p/60 or 1080p/24. It can not output 1080p/60. So apps that are trying to stream 1080p to it have to configure their stream content as 1080p/24. That will be more or less successful according to the the source material they are using for each stream. (Ideally, they wouldn't try to do that for video-rate content and would stream such content as 720p/60 instead.)

The video quality improvement from using the native apps in the OPPO (assuming a good networking connection) easily trumps any potential gain from eliminating cadence judder -- i.e., /24 output. Seriously. If you want to use an app, and that app is already native on the OPPO, then the native app will give you the best picture.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 09:42 AM.
post #4994 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can use the Info button to see what's coming in from the ROKU Stick and what the OPPO is sending out on the HDMI output(s).

The bolded statement above is incorrect. Unless you have Source Direct selected, the OPPO will scale whatever is coming in from the ROKU Stick to the output Resolution you have chosen.

The ROKU Stick's HD output is limited to 720p/60 or 1080p/24. It can not output 1080p/60. So apps that are trying to stream 1080p to it have to configure their stream content as 1080p/24. That will be more or less successful according to the the source material they are using for each stream. (Ideally, they wouldn't try to do that for video-rate content and would stream such content as 720p/60 instead.)

The video quality improvement from using the native apps in the OPPO (assuming a good networking connection) easily trumps any potential gain from eliminating cadence judder -- i.e., /24 output. Seriously. If you want to use an app, and that app is already native on the OPPO, then the native app will give you the best picture.
--Bob

You're right, the oppo does convert it to 1080p, it was info screen that I saw was showing an input of 720. That info screen is very helpful in seeing everything going on.

So the ROKU stick only does 720p/60 and 1080p/24 and it will convert 1080p60 streams to 1080p24? Does Netflix even stream anything in 24p?

The question is, does the ROKU stick handle 24p from VUDU correctly? That would be a benefit. If I am being a purist I would then only use the ROKU stick for VUDU HDX to get 24p output, assuming it does that correctly, and other content the oppo does not have not app for.

But you are saying the built in apps are superior anyway? Why is that?
post #4995 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
Read the FAQ!

There's more processing power in the player than on the ROKU Stick.
--Bob
post #4996 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There's more processing power in the player than on the ROKU Stick.
--Bob
Even so, other than the resolution and frame-rate limitations they should be the same given that the stream is in a natively supported format. The only real case I can see for this would be VUDU where the stream itself is 1080p/24. I'm not sure how just having more power on reserve would give the oppo vudu app an advantage here.

For netflix, the onboard app would have an advantage since it is probably processing a 1080p/60 stream all the time and I don't think netlix does 24p.

What does happens with that 1080p/24 ROKU output when fed to a TV that doesn't support 24fps? Does the oppo convert it to 60? My TV does not support 24fps, but my PJ does.
post #4997 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Wow, I had no idea something like Redmere even existed. That could be an easy solution as I think I'd have plenty of room to plug it into the projector without bending the cable. I purchased one and will report back how it works.

Thanks for the heads-up!
I've used both thick cables and the thin Redmere cables. I first got only a couple of the Redmeres for testing, and in about a year's use I have never had a problem with them other than once having the source and destination swapped by accident.
post #4998 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhobart View Post
I've used both thick cables and the thin Redmere cables. I first got only a couple of the Redmeres for testing, and in about a year's use I have never had a problem with them other than once having the source and destination swapped by accident.
I use one for a 40ft run. I've read mixed things about having them all throughout the chain, but it seems they are OK to use that way.
post #4999 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Even so, other than the resolution and frame-rate limitations they should be the same given that the stream is in a natively supported format. The only real case I can see for this would be VUDU where the stream itself is 1080p/24. I'm not sure how just having more power on reserve would give the oppo vudu app an advantage here.

For netflix, the onboard app would have an advantage since it is probably processing a 1080p/60 stream all the time and I don't think netlix does 24p.

What does happens with that 1080p/24 ROKU output when fed to a TV that doesn't support 24fps? Does the oppo convert it to 60? My TV does not support 24fps, but my PJ does.
Just like with any other /24 content. If you have /24 output turned off the OPPO will do the frame rate conversion.

Netflix has /24 streams, and evidently that's what they are sending to the ROKU Stick.

The Netflix app has quite a lot of work to do -- same with VUDU. The input streams are compressed and arriving at bit rates that change on the fly. The app has to stitch that together. The OPPO has more processing power and does a better job of that.

Compare them yourself. It is not tough to see that the native app is producing better results than the ROKU Stick app.
--Bob

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Yesterday at 01:03 PM.
post #5000 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
I use one for a 40ft run. I've read mixed things about having them all throughout the chain, but it seems they are OK to use that way.
Each HDMI between pairs of active devices is independent as regards the cable because the signal is regenerated. So using Redmere throughout should be no problem. The problem would come if you try to daisy chain 2 or more of them to make a longer run -- which includes connecting them either side of a PASSIVE device like a mechanical HDMI switch or wall plate.
--Bob
post #5001 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Just like with any other /24 content. If you have /24 output turned off the OPPO will do the frame rate conversion.

Netflix has /24 streams, and evidently that's what they are sending to the ROKU Stick.

The Netflix app has quite a lot of work to do -- same with VUDU. The input streams are compressed and arriving at bit rates that change on the fly. The app has to stitch that together. The OPPO has more processing power and does a better job of that.

Compare them yourself. It is not tough to see that the native app is producing better results than the ROKU Stick app.
--Bob
I'll definitely do some comparisons. I mostly use streaming apps for TV shows on the tv, and reserve the projector for Blu ray and the occasional HDX title when no rental is available. But it's still good to know.

How would you say the built in apps stack up to the newer gen 3 ROKU? Does oppo tend to keep the built in apps up to date?
post #5002 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Each HDMI between pairs of active devices is independent as regards the cable because the signal is regenerated. So using Redmere throughout should be no problem. The problem would come if you try to daisy chain 2 or more of them to make a longer run -- which includes connecting them either side of a PASSIVE device like a mechanical HDMI switch or wall plate.
--Bob
Ok, that makes sense and it what I would have expected to be the case. I'm guessing the majority of problems arise from wall plates and the like. I may replace some of my cables to the oppo with redmere's because the fit is pretty tight against the back of my storage shelf. Is there still a recommendation that redmere cables be longer (6ft vs 3ft) as with passive cables? Personally, I've never had a problem with passive cables in short lengths but some have claimed so. Monoprice seems to make 3's and 6's, I wish they had a 4ft version as that would be ideal.
post #5003 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for the heads-up!
You're welcome. Be sure to get the cable connected correctly. Redmere active HDMI cables are directional.
post #5004 of 5007 Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Based on what you've written, it sounds like your problem is in the Hopper because you're not having trouble with the OPPO as a player or with your Roku. What adjustments are you making changes to?
I stand corrected. It is all content from the OPPO player that is having audio sync issues. I had the same problem with a Roku app today. When I bypass the OPPO and run my Hopper straight to the TV (with the same HDMI cable), the audio is dead on, but when I go through the OPPO HDMI I can't ever get it in sync. So what is the OPPO doing to get the audio out of sync?

My settings are as follows:

Video Setup
Dual HDMI Output: Split A/V
3D Output: Auto
TV Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Wide / Auto
TV System: NTSC
Output Resolution: Auto
1080p24 Output: Auto
DVD 24p Conversion: Off
4Kx2K Output: Auto(50/60Hz)
Color Space (HDMI 1): Auto
Color Space (HDMI 2): Auto
Deep Color (HDMI 1): Off
Deep Color (HDMI 2): Off
De-Interlacing Mode: Auto

Audio Format Setup
Secondary Audio: Off
HDMI Audio: Auto
Coaxial/Optical Output: Bitstream
SACD Output: DSD
HDCD Decoding: Off

Audio Processing
Down Mix Mode: Stereo
Crossover: 80Hz
Dynamic Range Control: Auto
DTS Neo:6 Mode: Off
Output Volume: Variable
Power On Volume: Last
Maximum Volume: 100
A/V Sync: 0
post #5005 of 5007 Old Today, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboyz View Post
yep.

Best as I can tell since I use my thing for blu ray's daily, I just discovered the error rate of the machine.

I watch like 7-9 movies a week.
Wow! I'm impressed. I doubt that I watch that many movies in a year!
post #5006 of 5007 Old Today, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting occasional audio drops with my Directv DVR running through the oppo. The last only a second and there is no video dropout. I do have the oppo sending LPCM to my AVR, so it is decoding the DD. Not sure why that should cause an issue. I haven't noticed it with disc, Roku stick or built in apps, though I haven't run those as much as the TV so far.

I am going to try a redmere cable (currently a passive high speed mono price cable). Redemere mostly because I need a more flexible cable because its a tight fit between the back of the oppo and the shelf.

Anything else I should try or is there a known issue with DirecTV boxes and the oppo?
post #5007 of 5007 Old Today, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Anything else I should try or is there a known issue with DirecTV boxes and the oppo?
DTV boxes have known issues with audio dropouts on DD 5.1 content, always have. It has nothing to do with the Oppo, if that's the cause. Its more common when watching from the DVR than on live broadcasts. Its less problematic when using SPDIF output from the DVR.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com