Old 08-21-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
I've been looking into the RedMere HDMI cables (wasn't familiar with them until I bought the 103D and saw them mentioned here) to replace two of my bulky, heavy cables. The thing that concerns me is that this has a chip in it, and more electronics means more can go wrong; I've seen several reviews with a short lifespan. Of course there are an overwhelming number of positive reviews. I can't foresee upgrading any of my components anytime in the near future, so I'm looking to put the finishing touches on my system so that I can set it and forget it. The anal fool that I can sometimes be tells me the odds that I will buy these are high. But I do have reservations, especially when everything is currently working.
My first response is to say that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". That said, what length(s) do you need for each cable? If 6 foot cables will do then its best to avoid active cables, not because they are any more likely to give you issues, but because they tend to be less "future proof" than passive cables. If you require a much longer cable then an active cable like the Redmere makes more sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Im needing to get some info and help from someone as to what model OPPO93,103 darbee?im needing to know which has the best analog board? I listen to a lot of two channel ,and so im needing the very best in analog? I really want the 105 model with the 2 DAC`s ? There is a seller on ebay that advertises upgraded OPPO93 ? SAys that he put in a diff analog board? Does anyone know of anything such as this? Because if so,I might would take a chance? If I could verify? Im a member of AVS on other forums? Im ordering one tomorrow ,so any help will greatly b appreciated.

Thank you, James C
Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
^^ With HDMI, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
--Bob
Old 08-21-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabsim View Post
Im needing to get some info and help from someone.......I listen to a lot of two channel ,and so im needing the very best in analog? I really want the 105 model with the 2 DAC`s ?

Thank you, James C
No brainer....get the 105! Best DAC's, and dedicated 2-ch analog board. You'll get a headphone amp too with the 105, if you need it.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:02 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Im needing to get some info and help from someone as to what model OPPO93,103 darbee?im needing to know which has the best analog board? I listen to a lot of two channel ,and so im needing the very best in analog? I really want the 105 model with the 2 DAC`s ? There is a seller on ebay that advertises upgraded OPPO93 ? SAys that he put in a diff analog board? Does anyone know of anything such as this? Because if so,I might would take a chance? If I could verify? Im a member of AVS on other forums? Im ordering one tomorrow ,so any help will greatly b appreciated.

Thank you, James C
The 105 and 105D have the best Analog audio of their stock products. Next best is the 95.

The OPPO products have been popular with mod shops that sell upgrades, and some of the stuff offered for the 93 and 95 has been well received, albeit for a price. The trick in buying a used, modded player is knowing what you are getting (i.e., who made the mod) and who will service it if it needs service.
--Bob
Old 08-21-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Is it an option to bypass the AVR with the HDMI 1 output from the Oppo and go straight to the display? You could then run HDMI 2 from the Oppo to the AVR for when you want to use HDMI audio and coax from the DTV box to the AVR to eliminate dropouts. Then you just need to coordinate the selection of audio source (HDMI/Coax) to coincide with the selection of source device for the HDMI switch/Oppo. This can be automated with a good universal remote or remote app.

Before you do that, I would test to see if you get the audio dropouts using HDMI both with the Oppo and without the Oppo in the loop. If it's the same with/without the Oppo in the loop then try running the audio via coax to see if it resolves the problem. If it does then the above may be an option. If not then it won't help you so no need to go thru the trouble of disconnecting the HDMI cable from the AVR and running it straight to the TV or setting up the remote.
If I split the HDMI using the dual outputs, I run into problems if I run the HDMI out from my AVR back to the HDMI switch (to make use of the other HDMI ports on the AVR not running through the Oppo). The TV handles this fine, the projector gets no image. Possibly it sees a loop even if the switch is set so that the AVR's input is directed at the TV and the Oppos input is directed to the PJ. So I had to switch it so that audio and video both go out over HDMI output 1 to the AVR and then AVR out to the switch. This means I can't change the audio input on the AVR for TV watching because that input/setting is used for everything coming out of the oppo.

I know coax from the DVR works, its what I have used. I'll try Dtv direct to the AVR. If it is the DtV box, not sure how I'll work around this.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
My first response is to say that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If 6 foot cables will do then its best to avoid active cables, not because they are any more likely to give you issues...
6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
With HDMI, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
--Bob
My philosophy with pretty much everything. And the best thing about it; it saves you money.

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Guys sorry if it asked before but how the darbee processor is in comparison the dvdo iscan mini? Anyone knows?

send from my N9005 with tapatalk
Old 08-21-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Thank you, James C
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanF8500 View Post
No brainer....get the 105! Best DAC's, and dedicated 2-ch analog board. You'll get a headphone amp too with the 105, if you need it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The 105 and 105D have the best Analog audio of their stock products. Next best is the 95.

The OPPO products have been popular with mod shops that sell upgrades, and some of the stuff offered for the 93 and 95 has been well received, albeit for a price. The trick in buying a used, modded player is knowing what you are getting (i.e., who made the mod) and who will service it if it needs service.
--Bob
The 105/105D are definitely the best Oppo players for analog audio.
In addition to Dan's comments, you also get the anync USB and other digital audio inputs as well over the 103/103D.
In addition to Bob's comments, if you buy a new 105 direct from Oppo, then you will get a guaranteed full 2 year warranty.
Even if some modder says they are giving you a warranty, I would take that with a grain of salt personally, and not as a guarantee.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Old 08-21-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
Guys sorry if it asked before but how the darbee processor is in comparison the dvdo iscan mini? Anyone knows?

2 pretty different things actually. the DVDO is for scaling, the Darbee is for image "enhancement" and has nothing to do with scaling.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I want to play the Reelwood 3D sampler disc created by a forum member. It comes in a BDMV format.

Is there a way to convert it into an MKV or something that the Oppo 103d can play from a hard drive? I don't have a blu-ray burner that could just burn it.

I tried MakeMKV on the BDMV but it won't do anything with it.

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm3 View Post
I want to play the Reelwood 3D sampler disc created by a forum member. It comes in a BDMV format.

Is there a way to convert it into an MKV or something that the Oppo 103d can play from a hard drive? I don't have a blu-ray burner that could just burn it.

I tried MakeMKV on the BDMV but it won't do anything with it.
Search for and use a little free program called "BDMV Modifier 2.0", and run that on the BDMV folder. The Oppo should now be able to play it.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Every few days my 103D 'forgets' my login credentials for the integrated Netflix app and prompts me to login again. All other player settings seem to be OK though. Netflix is the only service I use, so I do not know if this is player- or Netflix-specific.

Anybody else has come across this and knows how to to fix it?

____
Axel

Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Same here. I have to get out of Netflix and then return to it again which usually resolves it for me
Old 08-22-2014, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehale View Post
Same here. I have to get out of Netflix and then return to it again which usually resolves it for me
I am not sure I understand, Dave. Where exactly do you have to get out of Netflix?
In my case, I got already kicked out - overnight, without me doing anything, and with the player in standby - of my Netflix account on my Oppo and now get prompted to login again.
_____
Axel

Old 08-22-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
Every few days my 103D 'forgets' my login credentials for the integrated Netflix app and prompts me to login again. All other player settings seem to be OK though. Netflix is the only service I use, so I do not know if this is player- or Netflix-specific.

Anybody else has come across this and knows how to to fix it?

____
Axel
The best way to "clear the pipes" with the Netflix app is to de-authorize the player in setup. Then reboot (Energy Efficient) the player and start Netflix again. See if this helps your issue. If not, contact Oppo support.

There are an assortment of issues on the Netflix end that can present in a variety of ways on the player.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:18 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Numerous posts above discuss optical/coax digital vice HDMI audio from DTV receivers in order to reduce drop outs. However, don't you lose the HDMI auto lip sync feature? For me, that's a much bigger "pain in the ass" that the very occasional HDMI sound issues I have from my HR44.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Numerous posts above discuss optical/coax digital vice HDMI audio from DTV receivers in order to reduce drop outs. However, don't you lose the HDMI auto lip sync feature? For me, that's a much bigger "pain in the ass" that the very occasional HDMI sound issues I have from my HR44.
HDMI auto lip sync operates between the receiver and the TV. I don't believe the player is involved.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 08-22-2014, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have tried to run movies ripped onto my HTPC from blu ray through the rear HDMI on the Oppo to avail of Darbee on video, but was getting no sound and audio was reporting as LPCM on the receiver, even though the audio is full HD lossless audio.

When I run direct to receiver, I had sound and Bitstreaming - any idea what's wrong there?

Someone said to me that the Oppo doesn't passthrough HD audio - if I have the HTPC coming into the Oppo through the Rear HDMI and output to my AVR through HDMI 1 Out, any way to get lossless sound to the receiver?

My only other option is to playback from my NAS, but I had hoped to retain the XBMC front end for streaming, but still avail of Darbee......

Display : JVC X500 Projector | 130" ReAct 2.1 2.35:1 Screen | Panasonic 65VT30 |
Sources : Oppo 103 D Multizone | Apple TV3 | HTPC | Sky HD | Sonos Connect | Synology 24Tb |
Audio : Anthem MRX 510 | KEF R700 | KEF R600c | KEF E301 Sides & Rears | Paradigm Sub 1 |
Control : Harmony Ultimate |
Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
I have tried to run movies ripped onto my HTPC from blu ray through the rear HDMI on the Oppo to avail of Darbee on video, but was getting no sound and audio was reporting as LPCM on the receiver, even though the audio is full HD lossless audio.

When I run direct to receiver, I had sound and Bitstreaming - any idea what's wrong there?

Someone said to me that the Oppo doesn't passthrough HD audio - if I have the HTPC coming into the Oppo through the Rear HDMI and output to my AVR through HDMI 1 Out, any way to get lossless sound to the receiver?

My only other option is to playback from my NAS, but I had hoped to retain the XBMC front end for streaming, but still avail of Darbee......
See the FAQ: What are the specs of the digital inputs?

The HDMI input does not support DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD. It does support LPCM, which is lossless, but your HTPC would have to convert the audio to that format.

-Bill
AidenL likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 08-22-2014, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
2 pretty different things actually. the DVDO is for scaling, the Darbee is for image "enhancement" and has nothing to do with scaling.
A ok m8 thx, i thought from the specs that iscan mini was doing image enhancement also.

Old 08-22-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post

Use the convenience of your home network and a DLNA media server to stream movies to your Oppo player. As Bill said, the Oppo players don't support Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD audio formats via its HDMI inputs.
AidenL likes this.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
The best way to "clear the pipes" with the Netflix app is to de-authorize the player in setup. Then reboot (Energy Efficient) the player and start Netflix again. See if this helps your issue. If not, contact Oppo support.

There are an assortment of issues on the Netflix end that can present in a variety of ways on the player.
Thanks, I will give it a shot.
_____
Axel

Old 08-22-2014, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a quick question for the Oppo experts in this here thread.

I have done a complete "reboot" of my system. I have made a move to focus on 2 channel music, but still want to watch TV and the occasional movie on my system. Is there a way to use the 103D as my "HT processor" instead of buying a basic one? Here is my gear:

Preamp: McIntosh C2500
Amps: 2 x McIntosh MC352's and a McIntosh MC7205
Oppo 103D and DirecTV Genie for sources

The C2500 was ordered today, so I don't have it in hand yet. I know there is an HT pass through, but I think it also requires a 12v trigger to put it in pass mode.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnM5 View Post
I have a quick question for the Oppo experts in this here thread.

I have done a complete "reboot" of my system. I have made a move to focus on 2 channel music, but still want to watch TV and the occasional movie on my system. Is there a way to use the 103D as my "HT processor" instead of buying a basic one? Here is my gear:

Preamp: McIntosh C2500
Amps: 2 x McIntosh MC352's and a McIntosh MC7205
Oppo 103D and DirecTV Genie for sources

The C2500 was ordered today, so I don't have it in hand yet. I know there is an HT pass through, but I think it also requires a 12v trigger to put it in pass mode.
The 103D is very flexible on what it can do with audio and video.
However, I would highly recommend getting the 105D instead of the 103D for the better analog audio output.
The 103D is no slouch in that department, but the 105D is even better, and with that awesome McI gear,
you will want to match it with an equally capable player.

As for watching movies and tv, that depends on what kind of setup you are using.
Will you be watching with 2-ch audio only?... or will you be using a surround sound speaker setup?
The C2500 does not have inputs for HDMI interface, nor will it accept 5.1 or 7.1 analog input. It is primarily for stereo analog sources.
If you are going to use surround sound, you will need either a modern HDMI surround AVR, or a 5-or-7 channel power amp.
If you opt for the multi-ch power amp, you can connect the analog outputs from the player directly to the power amp,
and then use the player as a basic processor.

However... I also think the McI amps you listed is a 2-ch amp AND a 3-ch amp?
If so, then you should be able to get that to work for 5.0 channel surround as long as it's compatible with
what you also have in mind for music. It just depends on how you set it all up.
It should work out for you, but again I would emphasize that you should go with the 105D over the 103D.
(Just as well, IF you should decide to get an HDMI processor, you'd probably be better off combining that with the 103D.)
Based on the gear you are using though, I would I'd go with the 105D and skip the additional processor.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
Old 08-23-2014, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
The 103D is very flexible on what it can do with audio and video.
However, I would highly recommend getting the 105D instead of the 103D for the better analog audio output.
The 103D is no slouch in that department, but the 105D is even better, and with that awesome McI gear,
you will want to match it with an equally capable player.

As for watching movies and tv, that depends on what kind of setup you are using.
Will you be watching with 2-ch audio only?... or will you be using a surround sound speaker setup?
The C2500 does not have inputs for HDMI interface, nor will it accept 5.1 or 7.1 analog input. It is primarily for stereo analog sources.
If you are going to use surround sound, you will need either a modern HDMI surround AVR, or a 5-or-7 channel power amp.
If you opt for the multi-ch power amp, you can connect the analog outputs from the player directly to the power amp,
and then use the player as a basic processor.

However... I also think the McI amps you listed is a 2-ch amp AND a 3-ch amp?
If so, then you should be able to get that to work for 5.0 channel surround as long as it's compatible with
what you also have in mind for music. It just depends on how you set it all up.
It should work out for you, but again I would emphasize that you should go with the 105D over the 103D.
(Just as well, IF you should decide to get an HDMI processor, you'd probably be better off combining that with the 103D.)
Based on the gear you are using though, I would I'd go with the 105D and skip the additional processor.
I plan on using the internal DAC of the C2500 instead of getting a 105. The 2500 is basically a tube 2300 stacked on the D100 digital preamp. It's got a asynchronous usb connection as well. I will eventually add a Mac Mini to it. If I had gone with the C2300, which is analog only, I probably would have gone with the 105D. But, it was 1200 more for the C2500 or 700 more for the 105. I thought the 2500 was a better investment, especially since Macs hold their value so well.
The 7205 is a 5 channel amp. I have one MC352 on each front speaker and the 7205 on my center and surrounds. That's a good point about the 103D's inputs. So, I will only be able to get 2 channel from the DirecTV genie over HDMI?
Old 08-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Read the FAQ!

^ The HDMI Inputs of the 103D can accept both multi-channel LPCM and traditional, multi-channel DD and DTS Bitstreams. Your DirecTV undoubtedly can output DD 5.1 Bitstreams for programs broadcast with multi-channel audio. The limitation on the HDMI Inputs is that they can not accept Bitstreams for the "lossless" formats: Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Old 08-23-2014, 12:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnM5 View Post
I plan on using the internal DAC of the C2500 instead of getting a 105. The 2500 is basically a tube 2300 stacked on the D100 digital preamp. It's got a asynchronous usb connection as well. I will eventually add a Mac Mini to it. If I had gone with the C2300, which is analog only, I probably would have gone with the 105D. But, it was 1200 more for the C2500 or 700 more for the 105. I thought the 2500 was a better investment, especially since Macs hold their value so well.
The 7205 is a 5 channel amp. I have one MC352 on each front speaker and the 7205 on my center and surrounds. That's a good point about the 103D's inputs. So, I will only be able to get 2 channel from the DirecTV genie over HDMI?
Hmm, Google must have lied to me about your gear.
You should be able to get surround from your Genie and run HDMI out of it and into the 103D's HDMI input.

The 105D also has the digital audio inputs like async usb, and a headphone amp too, but those may also be included on your C2500.
I saw that it had a USB input, but not sure of the specifications of that input.

It will be impossible to use the analog output of the 103D without using it's internal DAC.
Of course that won't be the case if you are only listening to Redbook CDs over SPdif.
For things like DVDA/SACD/DSD and Blu-ray for music, then you will have to use the analog outputs or use a deembedder to convert PCM over HDMI to SPdif.
For movies in surround sound (Blu-ray), you will have to use the analog outs for that too, but that will probably sound ok for movies.
-Technically you could use SPdif for Blu-ray, but you would not be getting the full uncompressed audio,
but rather a core audio track that would still sound good, just not as good as the full monte.-

All of the analog limitations would be moot if you decided to get an independent HDMI processor for your surround sound,
but that would of course require another investment and another piece of gear to incorporate.
With the setup you describe, it's doable without the processor if you are ok with the limitations described.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Old 08-23-2014, 01:42 AM

Thank you for the input, guys.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:22 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
HDMI auto lip sync operates between the receiver and the TV. I don't believe the player is involved.

-Bill

You may be right (and for sure it does operates between the receiver and the TV); but I was always of the opinion that for auto lip sync to work correctly everything from component to AVR to display must be HDMI 1.3 or above and HDMI must be used all the way.

Following seems to contain that fact: http://www.prillaman.net/hdmi_faq.html#B4

• "Automatic lip sync adjustment: One feature that is mentioned from time to time is automatic lip sync adjustment. The HDMI v1.3 spec allows for components to communicate with each other to track the amount of video signal delay introduced by video processing (deinterlacing or scaling) and apply a delay to the audio signal to keep the two synchronized. The catch to this that is not widely mentioned is that this only works if the entire signal path (source component, surround sound receiver or processor, and display) is HDMI v1.3 compliant and includes support for this feature."

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc