post #5041 of 5047 Old Today, 06:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
You may be right (and for sure it does operates between the receiver and the TV); but I was always of the opinion that for auto lip sync to work correctly everything from component to AVR to display must be HDMI 1.3 or above and HDMI must be used all the way.

Following seems to contain that fact: http://www.prillaman.net/hdmi_faq.html#B4
I believe the author of that is still with us here. Maybe this will catch his eye?

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5047 Old Today, 08:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
^ It's not that sophisticated. I suppose, potentially it could be, but there are lots of things in HDMI that aren't used in the grandiose manner conceived when they were originally bunged into the spec.

The device that wants to add audio delay has the option of inquiring of the next device in the chain how much audio delay it thinks would be useful to compensate for the time it takes processing the video. In most cases the value returned is a constant -- independent of user settings that might very well alter the actual video processing time.

That's it. There's nothing more sophisticated going on here, and the desired audio delay meta-data value passed back is often bogus. The entire HDMI chain is not surveyed and there's certainly nothing as sophisticated as trying to track markers in the content to see what amount of audio delay might REALY be needed.

In particular, understand that there is nothing in HDMI auto lip-sync correction which will detect or correct for lip sync errors which are already built into the content.

Auto lip-sync meta data is, as far as I know, only ever returned by TVs. And for the most part it is only ever polled for and used by AVRs (i.e., getting the value from the TV they are connected to). I've seen some evidence that some set top boxes are also willing to poll for this value, but if so, it will only work if the set top box is DIRECTLY connected to a TV that offers that value. I've never heard that auto sync delay actually works if the set top box is supposed to be applying the audio delay.

The OPPO players do not attempt to poll for audio delay meta-data.

In most cases, you can get better sync results using a calibration disc and setting any needed audio delay manually. Indeed, one of the first things to look for if you are fighting sync problems is an auto-sync setting in your AVR that can be TURNED OFF!
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; Today at 09:01 AM.
post #5043 of 5047 Old Today, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
hdmi input picture on tv comes and goes

First off, sorry if this has been asked and answered. Im new to the thread, not forum and did a search but found too many matches for my search to tell if they were related.

So looking for some help on a new 103d I just bought.

HDMI from my Maranz Receiver OR Fios Receiver into either back or front hdmi input results from picture on TV coming and going. Get a picture for about a second, then goes away. this repeats.
Tried changing 103d video out to dual and split, no change. Tried both hdmi outputs from Maranz, where I do get a good picture when plugged into TV. Tried different cables

So seem to be having some sync issue or something else.

any input would be appreciated...
post #5044 of 5047 Old Today, 10:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) View Post
First off, sorry if this has been asked and answered. Im new to the thread, not forum and did a search but found too many matches for my search to tell if they were related.

So looking for some help on a new 103d I just bought.

HDMI from my Maranz Receiver OR Fios Receiver into either back or front hdmi input results from picture on TV coming and going. Get a picture for about a second, then goes away. this repeats.
Tried changing 103d video out to dual and split, no change. Tried both hdmi outputs from Maranz, where I do get a good picture when plugged into TV. Tried different cables

So seem to be having some sync issue or something else.

any input would be appreciated...
How many HDMI connections do you have at the same time? Tell us exactly what is connected to what.

If you do a simple chain: FIOS -> OPPO -> Marantz -> TV, do you get the same behavior? What if you bypass the Marantz and connect the OPPO directly to the TV?

-Bill
post #5045 of 5047 Old Today, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

good question and I might have corrected the issue.

I did have these connections before I did anything:

103 hdmi 1 out -> TV
103 hdmi 2 out -> Marantz
103 hdmi back input <- Marantz

Fios -> Marantz

So the issue was with this connections:

Fios - > Marantz -> hdmi input -> 103 hdmi2 -> TV

NOW when I disconnected 103 hdmi 2 out to Marantz, my picture settled in strong.
I then plugged 103 hdmi 2 out back in to see if problem returned OR the picture to Marantz started having problems, and all seems good now.. Solid video from both outputs...

Strange, I guess will see if problem returns, possible after turning off system..
So seemed to be some issue with having both hdmi outs in at the same time with video on both.
I know is recommended to split instead od dual video, maybe that is related and might need to go to that setting

Thanks, David

EDIT:

Problem did return when I turned the 103 off and on. and it doesnt seem to matter if I have the hdmi out set to dual or split..
I then unplugged and plugged back int hdmi2 out to correct. That sucks..

It seems to not like having both hdmi outputs plugged in at the same time. If this a player hardware problem where I need to contact oppo for an exchange??

Last edited by david(dallas); Today at 11:17 AM.
post #5046 of 5047 Old Today, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) View Post
good question and I might have corrected the issue.

I did have these connections before I did anything:

103 hdmi 1 out -> TV
103 hdmi 2 out -> Marantz
103 hdmi back input <- Marantz
That's what's called an HDMI loop, and is not possible with many AVRs. There's no particular reason to use both HDMI outputs from the Oppo if the Marantz can handle all the types video you want. Many folks would just input the FIOS to the Oppo and send HDMI-1 from the Oppo to the AVR, then to the TV. Simpler is usually better.
post #5047 of 5047 Unread Today, 11:27 AM
Advanced Member

that makes since and could be doable. Except in my case I do have another HD device, HD-DVD, which would have liked to also run though the 103d to see with the Darbee processing might do with it. But could do without that if needed.

also for watching bluirays and other material from the 103, I think the better video quality would be directly to TV instead of through the receiver. Then the other hdmi to receiver for sound... I don't understand why this doesn't work. Looks like with the option to split, the 103 is setup for thiis.

But if I have to go with your scenerio, then I could. Not the best setup for me..

UPDATE: I guess I could go hd-dvd into front hdmi...

Thanks, David

Last edited by david(dallas); Today at 12:01 PM.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com