Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 169 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #5041 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 07:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
You may be right (and for sure it does operates between the receiver and the TV); but I was always of the opinion that for auto lip sync to work correctly everything from component to AVR to display must be HDMI 1.3 or above and HDMI must be used all the way.

Following seems to contain that fact: http://www.prillaman.net/hdmi_faq.html#B4
I believe the author of that is still with us here. Maybe this will catch his eye?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
^ It's not that sophisticated. I suppose, potentially it could be, but there are lots of things in HDMI that aren't used in the grandiose manner conceived when they were originally bunged into the spec.

The device that wants to add audio delay has the option of inquiring of the next device in the chain how much audio delay it thinks would be useful to compensate for the time it takes processing the video. In most cases the value returned is a constant -- independent of user settings that might very well alter the actual video processing time.

That's it. There's nothing more sophisticated going on here, and the desired audio delay meta-data value passed back is often bogus. The entire HDMI chain is not surveyed and there's certainly nothing as sophisticated as trying to track markers in the content to see what amount of audio delay might REALY be needed.

In particular, understand that there is nothing in HDMI auto lip-sync correction which will detect or correct for lip sync errors which are already built into the content.

Auto lip-sync meta data is, as far as I know, only ever returned by TVs. And for the most part it is only ever polled for and used by AVRs (i.e., getting the value from the TV they are connected to). I've seen some evidence that some set top boxes are also willing to poll for this value, but if so, it will only work if the set top box is DIRECTLY connected to a TV that offers that value. I've never heard that auto sync delay actually works if the set top box is supposed to be applying the audio delay.

The OPPO players do not attempt to poll for audio delay meta-data.

In most cases, you can get better sync results using a calibration disc and setting any needed audio delay manually. Indeed, one of the first things to look for if you are fighting sync problems is an auto-sync setting in your AVR that can be TURNED OFF!
--Bob
rlb and mhobart like this.

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 08-23-2014 at 10:01 AM.
post #5043 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 40
hdmi input picture on tv comes and goes

First off, sorry if this has been asked and answered. Im new to the thread, not forum and did a search but found too many matches for my search to tell if they were related.

So looking for some help on a new 103d I just bought.

HDMI from my Maranz Receiver OR Fios Receiver into either back or front hdmi input results from picture on TV coming and going. Get a picture for about a second, then goes away. this repeats.
Tried changing 103d video out to dual and split, no change. Tried both hdmi outputs from Maranz, where I do get a good picture when plugged into TV. Tried different cables

So seem to be having some sync issue or something else.

any input would be appreciated...
post #5044 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 11:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) View Post
First off, sorry if this has been asked and answered. Im new to the thread, not forum and did a search but found too many matches for my search to tell if they were related.

So looking for some help on a new 103d I just bought.

HDMI from my Maranz Receiver OR Fios Receiver into either back or front hdmi input results from picture on TV coming and going. Get a picture for about a second, then goes away. this repeats.
Tried changing 103d video out to dual and split, no change. Tried both hdmi outputs from Maranz, where I do get a good picture when plugged into TV. Tried different cables

So seem to be having some sync issue or something else.

any input would be appreciated...
How many HDMI connections do you have at the same time? Tell us exactly what is connected to what.

If you do a simple chain: FIOS -> OPPO -> Marantz -> TV, do you get the same behavior? What if you bypass the Marantz and connect the OPPO directly to the TV?

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
post #5045 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

good question and I might have corrected the issue.

I did have these connections before I did anything:

103 hdmi 1 out -> TV
103 hdmi 2 out -> Marantz
103 hdmi back input <- Marantz

Fios -> Marantz

So the issue was with this connections:

Fios - > Marantz -> hdmi input -> 103 hdmi2 -> TV

NOW when I disconnected 103 hdmi 2 out to Marantz, my picture settled in strong.
I then plugged 103 hdmi 2 out back in to see if problem returned OR the picture to Marantz started having problems, and all seems good now.. Solid video from both outputs...

Strange, I guess will see if problem returns, possible after turning off system..
So seemed to be some issue with having both hdmi outs in at the same time with video on both.
I know is recommended to split instead od dual video, maybe that is related and might need to go to that setting

Thanks, David

EDIT:

Problem did return when I turned the 103 off and on. and it doesnt seem to matter if I have the hdmi out set to dual or split..
I then unplugged and plugged back int hdmi2 out to correct. That sucks..

It seems to not like having both hdmi outputs plugged in at the same time. If this a player hardware problem where I need to contact oppo for an exchange??

Last edited by david(dallas); 08-23-2014 at 12:17 PM.
post #5046 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
good question and I might have corrected the issue.

I did have these connections before I did anything:

103 hdmi 1 out -> TV
103 hdmi 2 out -> Marantz
103 hdmi back input <- Marantz
That's what's called an HDMI loop, and is not possible with many AVRs. There's no particular reason to use both HDMI outputs from the Oppo if the Marantz can handle all the types video you want. Many folks would just input the FIOS to the Oppo and send HDMI-1 from the Oppo to the AVR, then to the TV. Simpler is usually better.
post #5047 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

that makes since and could be doable. Except in my case I do have another HD device, HD-DVD, which would have liked to also run though the 103d to see with the Darbee processing might do with it. But could do without that if needed.

also for watching bluirays and other material from the 103, I think the better video quality would be directly to TV instead of through the receiver. Then the other hdmi to receiver for sound... I don't understand why this doesn't work. Looks like with the option to split, the 103 is setup for thiis.

But if I have to go with your scenerio, then I could. Not the best setup for me..

UPDATE: I guess I could go hd-dvd into front hdmi...

Thanks, David

Last edited by david(dallas); 08-23-2014 at 01:01 PM.
post #5048 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think the better video quality would be directly to TV instead of through the receiver.
This is an erroneous assumption. There should be no difference in image quality unless the AVR is processing.

Quote:
I don't understand why this doesn't work. Looks like with the option to split, the 103 is setup for thiis.
See above. You missed the part about looping HDMI from the player to AVR and back to the player. Many AVRs will not allow this and produce the exact issue you are seeing. There's technical reasons that don't really need to be gone into here, but it often doesn't work out.

The main reason the Oppo offers dual HDMI outs is for folks with an AVR that doesn't support 3D or 4K, it allows you to bypass the AVR with the unsupported video. It has nothing to do with image quality specifically. If that's not your situation then a single HDMI out is the way to go. You can still do a split connection, just don't loop HDMI back to the player from the AVR.
post #5049 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I got my brand new replacement today. It came with the latest FW too. They ship it in a regular retail box minus the accessories. It comes in the cloth oppo bag too. Now I need to ship the broken one back.

I was having withdrawals not having my oppo.
post #5050 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

another update and different problem, but both seem to be related to having both HDMI outs plugged in at the same time.

I tried testing to see if using the Analog 7.1 might be a route i could go for the bluray audio.

First I had hdmi output 1 into the receiver and checked out a true-hd audio bluray. It sounded good and showed TrueHD
on the receiver.
I then switched to using the analog 7.1 and hdmi 2 to tv with hdmi 1 still plugged in. Receiver showed 7.1 audio, not sound not as good as from hdmi audio.
Now I switched back to listen to the hdmi 1 to receiver, the receiver didn't show TrueHD. It was showing dts neo 6

I couldn't get it to start showing TrueHD audio until I unplugged hdmi 2 output from the 103.

So not only does the video NOT wor when both hdmi output is plugged in, the audio doesn't work correctly either.

I don't know, this seems like an issue with the unit. Manual shows you should be able to use both HDMI outputs at the same time... Maybe worth a call to OPPO on Monday..

Last edited by david(dallas); 08-23-2014 at 06:11 PM.
post #5051 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 06:30 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
another update and different problem, but both seem to be related to having both HDMI outs plugged in at the same time.

I tried testing to see if using the Analog 7.1 might be a route i could go for the bluray audio.

First I had hdmi output 1 into the receiver and checked out a true-hd audio bluray. It sounded good and showed TrueHD
on the receiver.
I then switched to using the analog 7.1 and hdmi 2 to tv with hdmi 1 still plugged in. Receiver showed 7.1 audio, not sound not as good as from hdmi audio.
Now I switched back to listen to the hdmi 1 to receiver, the receiver didn't show TrueHD. It was showing dts neo 6

I couldn't get it to start showing TrueHD audio until I unplugged hdmi 2 output from the 103.

So not only does the video NOT wor when both hdmi output is plugged in, the audio doesn't work correctly either.

I don't know, this seems like an issue with the unit. Manual shows you should be able to use both HDMI outputs at the same time... Maybe worth a call to OPPO on Monday..
If you insist on using both HDMI outputs, HDMI1 should go to the TV and HDMI2 should go to the receiver. If you do it the other way around, the audio output on HDMI1 will have limitations related to the capabilities of what your TV can handle and the player is behaving as designed.

As others have already said, your configuration shouldn't need to use both HDMI outputs. Keeping things simple is likely to give you better results.
post #5052 of 6399 Old 08-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So watching my first film on the 103D and I had to pause it while I fed the cats. The movie un-paused itself after a few minutes. Is that normal behavior?
post #5053 of 6399 Old 08-24-2014, 05:47 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakiChan View Post
So watching my first film on the 103D and I had to pause it while I fed the cats. The movie un-paused itself after a few minutes. Is that normal behavior?
No.

-Bill

post #5054 of 6399 Old 08-24-2014, 09:24 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
^ If this was a BD-Java Blu-ray it's possible the silly studio authored it to do just that. The BD-Java programming on the disc takes over from the normal playback controls on the player. Studios have been known to do strange things in their programming if the disc is paused "too long". Although simply returning to Play is not typical.
--Bob
post #5055 of 6399 Old 08-24-2014, 01:02 PM

Liked: 16
Hey there everyone. I am looking at picking up an Oppo 103 player and am struggling with choosing between the Darbee version or the regular and a sperate Darbee. My main concern is how having all my video run through the Oppo with Darbee processing will affect the life of the player. I would like to have the HDMI out from my receiver go to the HDMI in on the Oppo and then run the processed video out to my TV. Also, as I understand it, I will need to run the other HDMI out from the Oppo to my receiver to process the audio from Blu-ray discs.

I am also curious how the Oppo works with regards to displaying the video it receives from the HDMI input. Will it automatically output the HDMI in video when powered on or will I need to always go through a menu and select the video to be displayed? Also, will the Oppo then automatically display the video from any Blu-rays inserted or will I need to go through a menu and select disc playback?

As for having a regular 103 and a separate Darbee I feel useability may be a bit easier as I can just plug the Darbee in between the HDMI out on my receiver and HDMI in on my TV. Basically set it and forget it. Also, since the Oppo will only be used for Blu-ray disc playback the longevity of the player will be increased. The main downside to having a separate Darbee is cost. From shopping around it looks like it would cost me about $150 more to go this route.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read all of this. Any info, help, and advice would be greatly appreciated.
post #5056 of 6399 Old 08-24-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodChester View Post
Hey there everyone. I am looking at picking up an Oppo 103 player and am struggling with choosing between the Darbee version or the regular and a sperate Darbee. My main concern is how having all my video run through the Oppo with Darbee processing will affect the life of the player.
I wouldn't worry about how it effects the life of the player. Oppo is known for their very high quality made components that last much much longer than typical cheaper made gear. They also give a full 2-year warranty on the player, and everyone who has ever had a repair done outside of warranty, claim to receive great service and repair costs are very low.
I would think of it just like you would an AVR. People don't worry about using an AVR every time they turn on the system, so why do that for a player...

I would like to have the HDMI out from my receiver go to the HDMI in on the Oppo and then run the processed video out to my TV. Also, as I understand it, I will need to run the other HDMI out from the Oppo to my receiver to process the audio from Blu-ray discs.
You may run into an "hdmi looping" issue if you do that. It would be better to run the signals from your tv or cable stb to the player, then from the player to the AVR, then onto the tv. You could try it both ways and see how it works. Some folks have the hdmi loop issue, and some don't, it just depends on the gear being used.

I am also curious how the Oppo works with regards to displaying the video it receives from the HDMI input. Will it automatically output the HDMI in video when powered on or will I need to always go through a menu and select the video to be displayed? Also, will the Oppo then automatically display the video from any Blu-rays inserted or will I need to go through a menu and select disc playback?
There is an INPUT button on the remote that will allow you to toggle between the different sources. Like the 2 HDMI inputs or Blu-ray. There is also a menu setting that you can set so that when the player is powered down and then turned back on, it will auto-return to the last input used... or you can opt to just have it go to the Blu-ray/Home Menu on startup.

As for having a regular 103 and a separate Darbee I feel useability may be a bit easier as I can just plug the Darbee in between the HDMI out on my receiver and HDMI in on my TV. Basically set it and forget it. Also, since the Oppo will only be used for Blu-ray disc playback the longevity of the player will be increased. The main downside to having a separate Darbee is cost. From shopping around it looks like it would cost me about $150 more to go this route.
Most people choose to get the 103D with built in Darbee. It's more convenient and doesn't add a separate device in the mix. Many people also report some handshaking issues with using the separate Darblet. Those issues do not exist with the built in version on the 103D.
As for longevity of the player, I addressed that above already.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read all of this. Any info, help, and advice would be greatly appreciated.
[[[ ]]]

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #5057 of 6399 Old 08-24-2014, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the reply Dave. All of your answers were quite helpful. I am pretty confident I will end up getting the 103D. Hopefully I won't run into any HDMI looping issues. And if I do I will just plug my cable box directly to the Oppo. I had hoped to have all of my video components receive the Darbee processing but since about 90% of my viewing is either cable or Blu-ray just having those two in the Darbee loop will be good enough.

Also, does anyone here have experience using the region free hardware mod out there for the Oppo? I am looking to becoming region free and having this mod available is another one of the selling point for me. Any info on installing and using the mod would once again be quite helpful.
post #5058 of 6399 Old 08-24-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodChester View Post
Thanks for the reply Dave. All of your answers were quite helpful. I am pretty confident I will end up getting the 103D. Hopefully I won't run into any HDMI looping issues. And if I do I will just plug my cable box directly to the Oppo. I had hoped to have all of my video components receive the Darbee processing but since about 90% of my viewing is either cable or Blu-ray just having those two in the Darbee loop will be good enough.

Also, does anyone here have experience using the region free hardware mod out there for the Oppo? I am looking to becoming region free and having this mod available is another one of the selling point for me. Any info on installing and using the mod would once again be quite helpful.
I had a stand alone darbee and it was flakey. I loved the effect, but it caused handshake issues and other display anomalies.

I just got a refurbished 103D and am running my Dtv box into it and a roku stick on the front. I run both a TV and a projector, so I have a matrix switch. I tried using split A/V mode and it was fine for the TV, but my projector saw a loop and there was no picture or sound.

The 103D so far has NONE of the issues I had with the stand alone darbee. Also, if you have a harmony or other programable remote you can easily set up activities that will allow the remote to switch the 103D's input for you. On the harmony, the delays have even been preset to correctly allow for the oppo to be fully on before it sends the command to change inputs. Just be sure to setup the oppo for fast start mode so it boots faster.

The only issues I have had is occasional audio drops of about a second with my DTV box, but it seems this is a common issue with cable boxes and especially DTV. That and some minor lip sync on DTV on certain stations, but that exists to some degree even without running it through the oppo.

Hands down the oppo is a great machine and if you want darbee processing, it's a MUCH better option that the standalone box.
post #5059 of 6399 Old 08-24-2014, 05:09 PM

Thanks again for all the info guys. I just ordered a 103D from Amazon. Had to pay for shipping since it was being sold direct from Oppo there and my Prime wouldn't apply. Hopefully it gets here quickly and I will have it to play with over the long weekend.
post #5060 of 6399 Old 08-25-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm using the Oppo analog audio outputs. I have 2 main and 2 surround speakers. I have the subwoofer set to “off” and the main speakers are set to "large". For movies with a Dolby soundtrack the LFE is successfully re-directed to the main speakers. But on discs with DTS audio the LFE signal does not seem to be re-directed to the main Left & Right speakers.

I’ve checked this on a couple test discs, most recently the Disney WoW disc (which has DTS audio) and a DTS test on the Blu-Ray disc of “Under the Skin”. On these tests, when the LFE signal is played there does not seem to be any signal coming form the main speakers. On test discs with Dolby audio (I used Avia and “Toy Story”) the LFE signal is correctly sent to the main speakers.

Can anyone confirm these results? Is there any way to route the LFE signal to the main speakers on DTS discs?
post #5061 of 6399 Old 08-25-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
I'm using the Oppo analog audio outputs. I have 2 main and 2 surround speakers. I have the subwoofer set to “off” and the main speakers are set to "large". For movies with a Dolby soundtrack the LFE is successfully re-directed to the main speakers. But on discs with DTS audio the LFE signal does not seem to be re-directed to the main Left & Right speakers.

I’ve checked this on a couple test discs, most recently the Disney WoW disc (which has DTS audio) and a DTS test on the Blu-Ray disc of “Under the Skin”. On these tests, when the LFE signal is played there does not seem to be any signal coming form the main speakers. On test discs with Dolby audio (I used Avia and “Toy Story”) the LFE signal is correctly sent to the main speakers.

Can anyone confirm these results? Is there any way to route the LFE signal to the main speakers on DTS discs?
Actually, the correct method for downmixing Dolby or DTS 5.1 to 2/4 channels is to drop the LFE channel completely. The content and levels of the LFE channel does not belong in the main channels. I'm not sure why you're getting LFE channel content directed to L-R, but you shouldn't be. I have to wonder if you have some setup error undetected.
post #5062 of 6399 Old 08-25-2014, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Actually, the correct method for downmixing Dolby or DTS 5.1 to 2/4 channels is to drop the LFE channel completely.
If so, wouldn't downmixed movies sound bass deficient?

Quote:
I have to wonder if you have some setup error undetected.
How can it be wrong if it sounds so right?

Last edited by meli; 08-25-2014 at 11:53 AM.
post #5063 of 6399 Old 08-25-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meli View Post
If so, wouldn't downmixed movies sound bass deficient?
Well, that's subjective. But LFE channel content is meant to be a duplication of content from the other channels. Its at a lower level, and gets boosted 10db when decoded. But at least in theory the same sounds should be in the main channels too. Putting LFE content into the main channels and boosting it 10db would massively overload those channels.
post #5064 of 6399 Old 08-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Well, that's subjective. But LFE channel content is meant to be a duplication of content from the other channels. Its at a lower level, and gets boosted 10db when decoded. But at least in theory the same sounds should be in the main channels too. Putting LFE content into the main channels and boosting it 10db would massively overload those channels.
Is that really the case with all movie soundtracks. I thought that the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel was originally added to carry low frequency effects that wouldn't normally show up in the main channels.

Reading the Dolby description of the LFE channel here: http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/A...nal/38_LFE.pdf sounds like what I remember and have always believed.

I think that for multichannel music that isn't necessarily the case, and the LFE channel either isn't used, or simply augments the main channels base.
post #5065 of 6399 Old 08-25-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Is that really the case with all movie soundtracks. I thought that the LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel was originally added to carry low frequency effects that wouldn't normally show up in the main channels.

Reading the Dolby description of the LFE channel here: http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/A...nal/38_LFE.pdf sounds like what I remember and have always believed.

I think that for multichannel music that isn't necessarily the case, and the LFE channel either isn't used, or simply augments the main channels base.
Its never that simple. Like I said, content in the LFE channel is 10db down and is useless without that 10db boost. If you put it in the main channels at 10db down, its still useless. If you do that but boost it 10db, you seriously overload those channels. Regardless of what's actually in the LFE channel, those things are still true. That's why the LFE channel was invented - to offer VLF content with a built-in boost so its audible.
Getting pretty far off topic for this thread.
post #5066 of 6399 Old 08-26-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 337
I have a question about the HDMI split option on this unit. I am currently running out of HDMI 1 in split mode (guess it defaults this way from the factory) into my A5000. I then utilize the Out 1 from the 5000 to my projector and Out 2 to my LCD TV in the game/backup movie room.

With it setup this way I still get both audio and video from HDMI 1 on the Oppo even though it's setup as split. Am I losing any audio/video quality by running this way? I can certainly run HDMI 1 straight to the projector with HDMI 2 in to my receiver. I would lose the ability of my LCD to play movies, but it gets used more for the kid gaming then anything, and the theater room takes first priority for audio/video quality.

I'm still curious though as to why the Oppo would pass video and audio out of HDMI 1 when it's set to split. Seems like that would defeat the purpose.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #5067 of 6399 Old 08-26-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post
I have a question about the HDMI split option on this unit. I am currently running out of HDMI 1 in split mode (guess it defaults this way from the factory) into my A5000. I then utilize the Out 1 from the 5000 to my projector and Out 2 to my LCD TV in the game/backup movie room.

With it setup this way I still get both audio and video from HDMI 1 on the Oppo even though it's setup as split. Am I losing any audio/video quality by running this way? I can certainly run HDMI 1 straight to the projector with HDMI 2 in to my receiver. I would lose the ability of my LCD to play movies, but it gets used more for the kid gaming then anything, and the theater room takes first priority for audio/video quality.

I'm still curious though as to why the Oppo would pass video and audio out of HDMI 1 when it's set to split. Seems like that would defeat the purpose.
Split will still send audio and video out of HDMI 1 if nothing is connecting to HDMI 2
post #5068 of 6399 Old 08-26-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjive View Post
Split will still send audio and video out of HDMI 1 if nothing is connecting to HDMI 2
OK, that makes sense. So the question remains; has anyone seen an appreciable difference running video and audio off the different inputs? Only reason I ask instead of trying for myself is; it's a nightmare getting to the back of my rack and switching out cables. So if I do it; I want to make darn sure it's worth it.

Also on a side note; my 103d won't close the disc tray when pushing the power off button. I could have sworn my 103 did, and subsequently every other BR player I've ever owned has.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #5069 of 6399 Old 08-26-2014, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, that makes sense. So the question remains; has anyone seen an appreciable difference running video and audio off the different inputs? Only reason I ask instead of trying for myself is; it's a nightmare getting to the back of my rack and switching out cables. So if I do it; I want to make darn sure it's worth it.

Also on a side note; my 103d won't close the disc tray when pushing the power off button. I could have sworn my 103 did, and subsequently every other BR player I've ever owned has.
Should really be no difference unless something in your signal chain like your avr prevents you from sending the video you want...such as an avr that does not support 3d or 4k. Mine doesn't support either. But for 1080p, should be no difference. Using one hdmi port is probably best as it is simpler and there is less chance for something not to work right...because hdmi is never buggy

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think my drawer closed when I powered it off. But I only think I did that once.
post #5070 of 6399 Old 08-26-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
The disc tray should always close when powering off the player with the remote or via the power button on the player.
Make sure that the player isn't losing it's power supply by shutting off the power via a power strip or by pulling the plug.
If you are simply using the power button properly, then you may want to try the following options...

a) reset the player to factory default settings and then power cycle the player.
if the problem remains then...
b) make use you have the latest firmware installed, and when doing so, try doing a reset to factory default settings after you upgrade,
to help ensure that the player gets a full reset of fresh values to help eliminate any residual code left from old issues.
c) even if you already have the latest fw installed, you can try re-installing it use the USB method, then again as above,
re-set to factory default settings and power cycle the player.

After you have tried all of those things, if the player is still not functioning properly, contact Oppo support
with your issue and see if your player requires service. http://www.oppodigital.com/ContactUs.aspx

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page