post #5041 of 5042 Unread Today, 06:46 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
You may be right (and for sure it does operates between the receiver and the TV); but I was always of the opinion that for auto lip sync to work correctly everything from component to AVR to display must be HDMI 1.3 or above and HDMI must be used all the way.

Following seems to contain that fact: http://www.prillaman.net/hdmi_faq.html#B4
I believe the author of that is still with us here. Maybe this will catch his eye?

-Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5042 of 5042 Unread Today, 08:55 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 841
^ It's not that sophisticated. I suppose, potentially it could be, but there are lots of things in HDMI that aren't used in the grandiose manner conceived when they were originally bunged into the spec.

The device that wants to add audio delay has the option of inquiring of the next device in the chain how much audio delay it thinks would be useful to compensate for the time it takes processing the video. In most cases the value returned is a constant -- independent of user settings that might very well alter the actual video processing time.

That's it. There's nothing more sophisticated going on here, and the desired audio delay meta-data value passed back is often bogus. The entire HDMI chain is not surveyed and there's certainly nothing as sophisticated as trying to track markers in the content to see what amount of audio delay might REALY be needed.

In particular, understand that there is nothing in HDMI auto lip-sync correction which will detect or correct for lip sync errors which are already built into the content.

Auto lip-sync meta data is, as far as I know, only ever returned by TVs. And for the most part it is only ever polled for and used by AVRs (i.e., getting the value from the TV they are connected to). I've seen some evidence that some set top boxes are also willing to poll for this value, but if so, it will only work if the set top box is DIRECTLY connected to a TV that offers that value. I've never heard that auto sync delay actually works if the set top box is supposed to be applying the audio delay.

The OPPO players do not attempt to poll for audio delay meta-data.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc
Gear in this thread - 103d by PriceGrabber.com