Official OPPO BDP-103D (Darbee Edition) Owner's Thread - Page 173 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 633Likes

post #5161 of 9272 Old 09-07-2014, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I've had my 103D since the first week it was released. All of a sudden, last week, I had a problem where when powering up the display never got past the "Hello" stage and the door wouldn't open. Eventually, it started shutting itself off.

I called Oppo, tried something at the suggestion of the CSR, then he said they'd have to see it. I shipped it back, on their dime, and was pleasantly surprised at the turnaround speed, communication, and care taken by Oppo.

Never thought I'd have a problem with such a fine instrument. But I did and have to admit I have never been treated this well by any company. Oppo bends over backwards.
mhobart likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5162 of 9272 Old 09-08-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G. View Post
I've had my 103D since the first week it was released. All of a sudden, last week, I had a problem where when powering up the display never got past the "Hello" stage and the door wouldn't open. Eventually, it started shutting itself off.

I called Oppo, tried something at the suggestion of the CSR, then he said they'd have to see it. I shipped it back, on their dime, and was pleasantly surprised at the turnaround speed, communication, and care taken by Oppo.

Never thought I'd have a problem with such a fine instrument. But I did and have to admit I have never been treated this well by any company. Oppo bends over backwards.
I had an issue with my oppo and I have nothing but positive things on customer service, top notch.
mhobart likes this.
post #5163 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 02:45 AM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi
I apologise if this question has probably been asked before. Im gonna get an Anthem AVM50v 3d and was wondering how the darbee function would be affected if I go HDMI 1 out on the OPPO to HDMI in on the ANTHEM and then HDMI out on the ANTHEM to my display. Will it dilute the darbee affect?

Any input would be appreciated.

Rob

post #5164 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 04:52 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1262 Post(s)
Liked: 1326
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDec View Post
Hi
I apologise if this question has probably been asked before. Im gonna get an Anthem AVM50v 3d and was wondering how the darbee function would be affected if I go HDMI 1 out on the OPPO to HDMI in on the ANTHEM and then HDMI out on the ANTHEM to my display. Will it dilute the darbee affect?
It shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you turn off video processing on that HDMI input on the Anthem as it's not desirable to process the video twice (in the player and in the AVR).
post #5165 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 07:30 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Here come the next OPPO that will take advantage of this

More details about the 4K Blu-ray format

By Rasmus Larsen (@flatpanels)
09 Sep 2014

At IFA 2014, the Blu-ray association confirmed that a 4K Blu-ray format is coming in late 2015. They later shared details about the format, saying that it will utilize up to 100GB discs and add support for a range of improved picture quality parameters such as HDR, HFR, 10-bit colors and more.

4K Blu-ray details confirmed

Even though more and more consumers prefer streaming and even though streaming services will have a head start in delivering 4K content, the Blu-ray association believes there is a place for physical media in the future, as 4K Blu-ray discs will incorporate much more than just resolution.

Talking with CNET, BDA has confirmed that a 4K Blu-ray format will support not just 4K resolution, but also HDR (high-dynamic range), 10-bit color depth, and up to Rec.2020 color gamut. The format will also support HFR (high frame rate) up to 60 frames per second in 4K, but reportedly not HFR of 120 fps and above.

The improved 10-bit color depth will improve color gradation and reduce color problems such as banding. HDR will improve details in the very dark shadows and very bright scenes. The Rec.2020 color gamut will allow movie producers to reproduce around 75% of the colors that they human eye is capable of seeing, compared to around 30-35% of today’s Rec.709 standard used for HD content.

Rec.2020 is even wider than the color gamut utilized in movie theaters, but no TVs can reproduce the Rec.2020 color gamut yet. On the other hand, missing support for true HFR content is surprising, but it might be a limitation of the HDMI 2.0 cable standard that the 4K Blu-ray players are expected to rely upon.

The new 4K Blu-ray standard will reportedly work with existing 50GB Blu-ray discs (but not existing players). However, the new 4K Blu-ray standard will also utilize new discs with up to 100GB capacity and switch to HEVC decoding, which is far more effective than mpeg4 (H.264). 4K Blu-ray will support at least 50-60 Mb/s bitrate, and possibly up to 100 Mb/s, around double that of current Blu-ray discs.

BDA says that even though pundits claim that there is little difference between Full HD and Ultra HD resolution, they see visible improvements in the resolution jump.

In a separate announcement, Dolby has confirmed that the first Blu-ray movies with Dolby Atmos sound will start launch this fall, on the existing Blu-ray discs. We think it is safe to assume that Dolby Amos will also be supported by the 4K Blu-ray standard.

Too little, too late?

The Blu-ray association is not the only one with plans to incorporate elements of the Ultra HD standard besides resolution.

Netflix has already announced plans to start using HDR, HFR and wider color gamuts in the future, as they will shoot all future TV series in the 4K format. Amazon is also launching a 4K streaming service later this year, and many other providers expect to follow suit.

None of the streaming services will be able to match the bitrate of the physical Blu-ray format in the near future, but as the internet infrastructure is being built out to offer 100 Mb/s pipes and beyond in the near future, streaming providers will start experimenting will higher quality streams.

Despite this, BDA believes that the world will continue to rely on physical discs in the foreseeable future, even though Blu-ray has never enjoying the same success as DVD.
nathan_h likes this.
post #5166 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 07:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 3319 Post(s)
Liked: 2588
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Here come the next OPPO that will take advantage of this
Not in this thread, please.

-Bill
gsr likes this.

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: UDP-203 | BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #5167 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
It shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you turn off video processing on that HDMI input on the Anthem as it's not desirable to process the video twice (in the player and in the AVR).
Thanks for the reply. If I turn off video processing on the Anthem will it affect OSD on the Anthem?

Thanks
Rob
post #5168 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 09:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked: 4790
Anthem questions are best asked in the Anthem thread.

Send 1080p from the OPPO to the Anthem and don't alter any of the Video Source Adjust settings for that input in the Anthem and it will do no video processing you need to worry about. Passing 3D video through the Anthem requires setting that input to THROUGH mode. No OSD in THROUGH, but otherwise no problem.
--Bob
post #5169 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Anthem questions are best asked in the Anthem thread.

Send 1080p from the OPPO to the Anthem and don't alter any of the Video Source Adjust settings for that input in the Anthem and it will do no video processing you need to worry about. Passing 3D video through the Anthem requires setting that input to THROUGH mode. No OSD in THROUGH, but otherwise no problem.
--Bob
Thanks Bob! Sorry about posting in the wrong area.

Rob
post #5170 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 10:28 AM
slb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've finally decided to get either the BDP-103 or BDP-103D, but I'm having trouble making a decision between the two. I decided to go with Oppo because of their build quality, customer support reputation, and transport performance. However, I'm planning to use the "source direct" mode and feed the output through my DVDO Duo processor, so I will not be using the internal scaling/processing. This also makes small value of the Darbee feature to me at this time. Are there any other compelling reasons to go with the 103D over the 103? It is my understanding that if I use the HDMI2 output of the 103, then the PQ of the two units should be identical under the circumstances I've outlined. Is this the case?

Regards,
Steve
post #5171 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2440 Post(s)
Liked: 1755
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb View Post
I've finally decided to get either the BDP-103 or BDP-103D, but I'm having trouble making a decision between the two. I decided to go with Oppo because of their build quality, customer support reputation, and transport performance. However, I'm planning to use the "source direct" mode and feed the output through my DVDO Duo processor, so I will not be using the internal scaling/processing. This also makes small value of the Darbee feature to me at this time. Are there any other compelling reasons to go with the 103D over the 103? It is my understanding that if I use the HDMI2 output of the 103, then the PQ of the two units should be identical under the circumstances I've outlined. Is this the case?

Regards,
Steve
I will encourage you to keep an open mind about the value of the DVDO Duo until you see the results with either of the 103 models. You might find that its not really needed.

There are already a number of comparisons around for the 2 players. The video processing is different, but the real world differences are small.
From the first post of this thread:
Quote:
How is the BDP-103D different from the BDP-103? The BDP-103D subtracts:
  • the Marvell Qdeo video processor
...and adds:
  • the Darbee Visual Presence video processor
  • the Silicon Image VRS ClearView video processor
...and replaces:
  • the remote with a new version with a Darbee button
All other aspects and functions of the two models are identical.
Personally I prefer the processing of the 103D even without the Darbee, especially for DVDs. Its within a hair of the quality of the ABT processor in your DVDO, excepting for rare de-interlacing challenges.

So much depends on your source material and display that's its not possible for anyone to say which you might prefer.
post #5172 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 03:39 PM
slb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
I will encourage you to keep an open mind about the value of the DVDO Duo until you see the results with either of the 103 models. You might find that its not really needed.

Thanks for the comments. The Duo's CMS allows me to calibrate the greyscale, color and gamma of my setup to near perfection, and these affect PQ much more than the processing in the 103.

Regards,
Steve
post #5173 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. The Duo's CMS allows me to calibrate the greyscale, color and gamma of my setup to near perfection, and these affect PQ much more than the processing in the 103.

Regards,
Steve
That's fine, but the display is the place to be calibrating. The input side shouldn't need to be adjusted.
post #5174 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 04:14 PM
slb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's fine, but the display is the place to be calibrating. The input side shouldn't need to be adjusted.

Agreed. However, not all displays have the necessary controls available to perform this level of calibration. If they did, DVDO and Lumagen would be out of business.

Regards,
Steve
post #5175 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Read the FAQ!

External calibration is better than nothing, but a poor substitute for a Display that can do it right. The problem is the limited data range and step size of the HDMI signal the external box is forced to use to send video to the Display.

EXAMPLE: Suppose your Display is weak in Red. The external box can't send more than Max Red on HDMI, so the only way it can correct is to throw away the top end of Green and Blue to compensate -- to get back to proper balance. Squeezing the dynamic range that way also leads to contouring since there are only so many steps between Black and White in the HDMI format.

Not good. But better, of course, than doing nothing.

It is always preferable to get a Display that can be properly calibrated internally.
--Bob
post #5176 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 06:03 PM
slb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
External calibration is better than nothing, but a poor substitute for a Display that can do it right. The problem is the limited data range and step size of the HDMI signal the external box is forced to use to send video to the Display.

EXAMPLE: Suppose your Display is weak in Red. The external box can't send more than Max Red on HDMI, so the only way it can correct is to throw away the top end of Green and Blue to compensate -- to get back to proper balance. Squeezing the dynamic range that way also leads to contouring since there are only so many steps between Black and White in the HDMI format.

Not good. But better, of course, than doing nothing.

It is always preferable to get a Display that can be properly calibrated internally.
--Bob

Hi Bob,
As previously stated, I agree. However, my Panasonic GT50 plasma does not provide all of the controls necessary, and it was much less expensive to add a Duo to my setup (at $799) than to get a new display. My original question was whether there are any compelling reasons to get the BDP-103D over the BDP-103 if one plans to use the source-direct mode? No one has specifically answered that question, so I'm guessing the answer is no.

rdgrimes did provide his personal preference for the 103D, which I appreciate, but I plan to keep the Duo in my setup for the time being.

Regards,
Steve

Last edited by slb; 09-09-2014 at 06:07 PM.
post #5177 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 06:07 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Hi Bob,
As previously stated, I agree. However, my Panasonic GT50 plasma does not provide all of the controls necessary, and it was much less expensive to add a Duo to my setup (at $799) than to get a new display. My original question was whether there are any compelling reasons to get the BDP-103D over the BDP-103 if one plans to use the source-direct mode? No one has specifically answered that question, so I'm guessing the answer is no.
The BDP-103 has a small amount of noise reduction that can't be disabled on HDMI1 (using HDMI2 will bypass this). If you're using source-direct mode, I believe that's the only difference for video (if not using source direct, there are obviously other differences).

If SACD's are important and you're sending audio to an AVR via HDMI, the BDP-103D can pass DSD over HDMI1 and HDMI2 while the BDP-103 can only pass DSD over HDMI2.
post #5178 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Read the FAQ!

With Source Direct, use HDMI 2 output on the 103. No point in the 103D.
--Bob
post #5179 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 07:36 PM
slb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
The BDP-103 has a small amount of noise reduction that can't be disabled on HDMI1 (using HDMI2 will bypass this). If you're using source-direct mode, I believe that's the only difference for video (if not using source direct, there are obviously other differences).

If SACD's are important and you're sending audio to an AVR via HDMI, the BDP-103D can pass DSD over HDMI1 and HDMI2 while the BDP-103 can only pass DSD over HDMI2.
Quote:
With Source Direct, use HDMI 2 output on the 103. No point in the 103D.
--Bob

gsr and Bob,
Much thanks for the info. Have a great evening!

Regards,
Steve
post #5180 of 9272 Old 09-09-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Hi Bob,
As previously stated, I agree. However, my Panasonic GT50 plasma does not provide all of the controls necessary,
AFAIK know, it does, and might also support ISF modes. But all those things require serial port access and calibration software. A pro calibrator can fix that right up for you.
post #5181 of 9272 Old 09-10-2014, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Ok, so, this is my first blu-ray player.

The wife and I decided we'd pop for some new toys at the end of our remodel. The first thing we decided was that our old speakers weren't cutting it. We shopped for a good while and decided that we liked the B&W cm10's for fronts. Knowing that there was a newer model coming soon didn't phase us. They were good enough. We like big sound. Screw the neighbors.

I'm a plasma lover. It was time to replace the Pioneer TV. State of the art at the time and still better than many today, I don't care what you say. We went with a Samsung F8500. A little bit better, yes.

Might as wall replace the Yamaha RX-V2700 receiver too. I've had good experience in the distance past with Pioneer. I had one of the very first receivers to feature this thing called "Suround Sound", perhaps you heard of it. It was quite the thing back in the day. I decided to go with a close-out model SC-77. Not to shabby.

We like to keep in simple around here. Whatever works gets priority regardless of the cool factor.

After some serious hand wringing I decided to pop for the Oppo 103D - wife wrath be damned. We didn't discusses it. Yikes! It arrived so fast. It's as if there were Seahawks linemen in the shipping department. From Cali to my house is 1.5 days UPS. It was here in one. I was amazed at the packaging. Who does that? I felt like I need to put on some cotton gloves just to take the dang thing out of the box. Even the HDMI cable was in its own bag. WTF!

I've diddled around with it a bit. There isn't much to do, for me. I put in a DVD of The Matrix. That Darbee thing is stupid simple. We use it to route our Flac's and all of our other junk, Netflix, etc. Did I say simple is the rule?
I don't think I could have done better.

Be sure that if I have any bitches, I'll let you know.

Ignorance is bliss.

B
post #5182 of 9272 Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 AM
slb
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
AFAIK know, it does, and might also support ISF modes. But all those things require serial port access and calibration software. A pro calibrator can fix that right up for you.

This is the case for the VT series, but the GT50 does not have a serial port. However, pro calibrators may have information regarding making these types of adjustments in the service menu of the GT50.

I do have the equipment and software to perform display calibration and have been calibrating my own displays for many years. But in this case, I'm not brave enough to start mucking around in the service menu, so I'm bound by the normal user controls.

Regards,
Steve
post #5183 of 9272 Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hello everybody. I'm interested in purchasing the BDP-103D tomorrow, but I want to make sure it will work with my setup. I want to connect my Directv DVR to the OPPO HDMI input, then connect the HDMI 1 output to my Samsung H7150 TV and the HDMI 2 output to my Marantz 7002 receiver. Do you know of any known audio sync or video issues that could arise from this setup? Thank you.
post #5184 of 9272 Old 09-11-2014, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomestar View Post
Hello everybody. I'm interested in purchasing the BDP-103D tomorrow, but I want to make sure it will work with my setup. I want to connect my Directv DVR to the OPPO HDMI input, then connect the HDMI 1 output to my Samsung H7150 TV and the HDMI 2 output to my Marantz 7002 receiver. Do you know of any known audio sync or video issues that could arise from this setup? Thank you.
Different equipment but same set up - box to oppo/HDMI, video direct to display (HDMI 1), audio to AVR (HDMI 2)

works well!

Enjoy

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - Oppo BDP-103D - Panasonic DMP-BDT220 - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A - OPPO DV-981HD - Harmony ONE
Onkyo TX-NR809 --- Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 45 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #5185 of 9272 Old 09-11-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
Different equipment but same set up - box to oppo/HDMI, video direct to display (HDMI 1), audio to AVR (HDMI 2)

works well!

Enjoy
Thank you for the quick reply. I'm moving on from a PS3 to the OPPO so as you can imagine I'm pretty excited!
post #5186 of 9272 Old 09-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have a totally noob question, but I'm going to ask anyway. I just want to make sure I have the best possbile setup once I get the oppo.
My setup will be a marantz 7008, 103d, and a jvc rs55. Should I connect the oppo to the avr hdmi(and remove any avr video processing), then have the avr pass thru to the jvc? Or do I go Oppo direct to JVC for video, and then Oppo to Marantz for audio?
post #5187 of 9272 Old 09-11-2014, 08:22 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
I have a totally noob question, but I'm going to ask anyway. I just want to make sure I have the best possbile setup once I get the oppo.
My setup will be a marantz 7008, 103d, and a jvc rs55. Should I connect the oppo to the avr hdmi(and remove any avr video processing), then have the avr pass thru to the jvc? Or do I go Oppo direct to JVC for video, and then Oppo to Marantz for audio?
Go with Oppo HDMI1 out -> AVR HDMI in, then AVR HDMI out -> Display HDMI in. Your AVR supports 3D and 4K pass through, so there shouldn't be any reason to complicate your setup by using both HDMI outputs on the Oppo. Generally speaking, you should only use both outputs if there's a problem with using only 1, such as if the display supports 3D, but the AVR doesn't or if the video processing in the AVR did bad things to the picture.
the_abbot likes this.
post #5188 of 9272 Old 09-11-2014, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Thank you sir
post #5189 of 9272 Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post

works well!

Enjoy
I'm the same, direct to display and direct for audio, one of the reasons for buying it.

Projector & Screen: Epson 5040ub Elite Screens 100" Electric Video: Oppo 103d Audio: Denon 4520ci Speakers: Infinity RS5 (LW L C R RW) Infinity RS1 (LH RH) Infinity Beta ES250 (SL SR) Subwoofers: 2 SI18d4 Martycubes with iNuke3000dsp and 2 Infinity BU120 Shakers: 4 ADX shakers with Dayton SA230 amp

My Builds--Media console build----Martycube build----ADX Bass Shaker Install
post #5190 of 9272 Old 09-11-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Except this method forces you to forego the device switching benefits of your AVR. If you have more than one device, you need to use the aesthetically undesirable HDMI input on the front of the Oppo. And if you have more than two devices, you'll need a HDMI switch between those devices and the Oppo. For these reasons, I will wait for a future Oppo model that addresses these shortcomings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Oppo , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Oppo Bdp 103d Universal 3d Blu Ray Player Darbee Edition , Oppo Brand , Oppo Digital , Oppo Digital Inc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page